Welcome Guest
The time is now 8:25 am
You last visited October 23, 2014, 8:22 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why can't the US be like other countries and not tax lottery winners?

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 3 years ago by RL-RANDOMLOGIC.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122473
February 1, 2012
415 Posts
Posted: March 14, 2012, 11:33 am - IP Logged

Hi,

Why does the US have to tax all lottery winners. In other countries like Canada and the UK, anyone who wins a jackpot prize or any prize gets to keep their entire winnings and not have to pay taxes on their winnings. I am someone who has never made much money in their job and  feel we are taxed enough. When I hear someone in Canada who wins 1 Million dollars it's great to know they actually get the entire amount and do not have to deal with most of that amount being eaten up by taxes. Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled to win anything but the idea of being taxed on even a 1,000 win is depressing. In all actuality it sounds like a falsehood saying someone won a million dollars when it isn't a million after paying out taxes. I guess I'm just wishing we could be like Canada and other countries who let people keep their entire winnings. Just wondered what other people think.

sully16's avatar - sharan
    Listens to the wind
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #81740
    October 28, 2009
    19965 Posts
    Posted: March 14, 2012, 11:38 am - IP Logged

Maybe in an alternate universe, where things make sense.

There's only one US Flag

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
      Florida
      United States
      Member #104438
      January 14, 2011
      2194 Posts
      Posted: March 14, 2012, 12:27 pm - IP Logged

What arent we taxed on in the US ?

2014 Highest Winner: $500

United Kingdom
        Member #122955
        February 10, 2012
        85 Posts
        Posted: March 14, 2012, 12:31 pm - IP Logged

Come to uk. They dont tax lottery but taxes everything else.Big Smile

Suspiciousness is one way of saying that one do not want to know the truth. It is the best way to keep the mind empty and the spirit restless.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          -Ridge Runner- Oracle of the Appalachians
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: March 14, 2012, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

Hi,

Why does the US have to tax all lottery winners. In other countries like Canada and the UK, anyone who wins a jackpot prize or any prize gets to keep their entire winnings and not have to pay taxes on their winnings. I am someone who has never made much money in their job and  feel we are taxed enough. When I hear someone in Canada who wins 1 Million dollars it's great to know they actually get the entire amount and do not have to deal with most of that amount being eaten up by taxes. Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled to win anything but the idea of being taxed on even a 1,000 win is depressing. In all actuality it sounds like a falsehood saying someone won a million dollars when it isn't a million after paying out taxes. I guess I'm just wishing we could be like Canada and other countries who let people keep their entire winnings. Just wondered what other people think.

In a word - Spending.

No other government in the world spends like ours, so we need to tax everything possible.

We are buried in an avalanche of debt right now and the current administration thinks the way out is through more spending.

We're now funding studies on how men wash their packages in Zimbabwe and why Chinese hookers drink so much.

We need to know these things. It's a matter of national security.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

SergeM's avatar - alas
            Economy class
            Belgium
            Member #123705
            February 27, 2012
            2881 Posts
            Posted: March 14, 2012, 2:28 pm - IP Logged

The reason why you have to pay taxes on the lottery is probably because you are not highly taxed on fuel and other like cigarettes and beer for example. Don't forget that you have to pay your military in Afghanistan, Irak and other. You pay every single soldier, gun and bullet. I don't live there, I got the news here on internet about huge debts because of Irak. Or, they just spend it there, if it isn't debt, it was just huge budget.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
              Member #13130
              March 30, 2005
              2171 Posts
              Posted: March 14, 2012, 2:36 pm - IP Logged

Hi,

If you look around, you'll find those gov'ts shafting their citizens in other ways.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
              Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                -Ridge Runner- Oracle of the Appalachians
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: March 14, 2012, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

The reason why you have to pay taxes on the lottery is probably because you are not highly taxed on fuel and other like cigarettes and beer for example. Don't forget that you have to pay your military in Afghanistan, Irak and other. You pay every single soldier, gun and bullet. I don't live there, I got the news here on internet about huge debts because of Irak. Or, they just spend it there, if it isn't debt, it was just huge budget.

"You pay every single soldier, gun and bullet."

Yeah, that's a price Americans have always paid to free people from tyrants around the world.

We've paid a heavy price in blood too.

And we paid it in Europe to keep the Germans from stompin' your asses into the ground.

Otherwise you'd be goose-stepping to Wagner right now.

So don't worry about our military.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
                  Member #13130
                  March 30, 2005
                  2171 Posts
                  Posted: March 14, 2012, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

It's way more than the places you listed.

Americans spend and have spent billions making sure the europeans (and other ingrates across the globe) play nice with each other. Plus the salaries of those soldiers provide a nice boost to the local economies. Bad investment, IMO.

That's billions that were freed up for those same gov'ts to put into their own schools, social programs, and infrastructure, rather than have to use on their own defense.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                    North Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #5709
                    July 18, 2004
                    17890 Posts
                    Posted: March 14, 2012, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

Hi,

Greed..!

Your Best Teacher, is Your First Mistake.

NightStalker's avatar - IMG00073 20100720-1609_2.jpg
                      Nothing Good Happens After Midnight
                      East of Columbus, OH
                      United States
                      Member #120848
                      December 28, 2011
                      417 Posts
                      Posted: March 14, 2012, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

Going to try and change my ways and not respond to this because the poster does not fully understand America.  And that's okay.

We are taxed because "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch."  I'll be happy to pay my taxes when I win.  Maybe I'll go to Belgium and get some sweet dark chocolate and some Belgian ale.  You buy the first round.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        9111 Posts
                        Posted: March 14, 2012, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

Frim what savagegoose has posted I still thihnk Australia has the best idea of all. The tickets are $1.03 AUS, the $.03 prepays the tax, and the playslip even has a NFP option- Not For Publication, i.e., remaining anonymous is an option. (The gov't knows you won, yeah, but your neighbors don't.)

As far as I know, the U.S. is the only country that taxes gambling winnings.

As for Europe and taxes - I lived in Germany for three years and the average German paid 51% "Stoia", taxes. The German government does things like this, 51% of your check goes towards taxes, of that 51% a certain percent will go to restore national landmarks, things like castles, etc....You can name your favorite landmark - Oh whoopee - or if not the money goes into a general fund for landmarks, but you pay it.

And, of course, (I don't know how I know this) - but the cathouses, such as the Crazy Sexy by the Frankfurt bahnhof (train station) were government run. Yup, the infamous p***y tax!

Scared

Also, the German weren't shy about things like this.....a menu in a bar would have two prices, Deutsch (German) and Ausslander (foreigner, non-German).

Ein Bier (One beer)

Deutsch 1 DM (Deutschmark, prior to the euro)

Ausslander   2 DM

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

GRITS
                          United States
                          Member #123559
                          February 23, 2012
                          12 Posts
                          Posted: March 14, 2012, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

We have to be taxed on our lottery winnings because our country is broke.  We have to pay for the lottery winners who win millions and still indignitely insist they are entitled to their foodstamps.  Basically, it boils down to we are stupid, lazy and entirely willing to give up our power no questions asked.  We need a hero.  Please vote responsibly.

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
                            Connecticut
                            United States
                            Member #61623
                            May 29, 2008
                            19861 Posts
                            Posted: March 14, 2012, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

Maybe in an alternate universe, where things make sense.

yupDisapprove

"...Life is not a matter of holding good cards,but sometimes playing a poor hand well...
                            'Fortune Cookie wisdom'

United States
                              Member #13130
                              March 30, 2005
                              2171 Posts
                              Posted: March 14, 2012, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

Frim what savagegoose has posted I still thihnk Australia has the best idea of all. The tickets are $1.03 AUS, the $.03 prepays the tax, and the playslip even has a NFP option- Not For Publication, i.e., remaining anonymous is an option. (The gov't knows you won, yeah, but your neighbors don't.)

As far as I know, the U.S. is the only country that taxes gambling winnings.

As for Europe and taxes - I lived in Germany for three years and the average German paid 51% "Stoia", taxes. The German government does things like this, 51% of your check goes towards taxes, of that 51% a certain percent will go to restore national landmarks, things like castles, etc....You can name your favorite landmark - Oh whoopee - or if not the money goes into a general fund for landmarks, but you pay it.

And, of course, (I don't know how I know this) - but the cathouses, such as the Crazy Sexy by the Frankfurt bahnhof (train station) were government run. Yup, the infamous p***y tax!

Scared

Also, the German weren't shy about things like this.....a menu in a bar would have two prices, Deutsch (German) and Ausslander (foreigner, non-German).

Ein Bier (One beer)

Deutsch 1 DM (Deutschmark, prior to the euro)

Ausslander   2 DM

I've never found a decent explanation for dual-pricing systems. Dead

Do like the Australian upfront 3 pennies tax, and keep the winner's business out of the papers, though. Hurray!