Welcome Guest
The time is now 3:44 pm
You last visited November 27, 2014, 3:26 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

6 tickets from LA win $1 million megamillions 4/10

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
HiFi's avatar - police

United States
Member #3792
February 21, 2004
197 Posts
Posted: April 11, 2012, 6:02 am - IP Logged

so it looks like it has happened again, but this time with megamillions.  looks like one person playing the same set of numbers.  louisiana lottery says 6 tickets matched all 5 numbers with the megaplier.  the tickets were purchased in denham springs.   correct me if im wrong but i was under the impression that unlike powerball, the 1 million prize in megamillions is divided amongst multiple winners.   if this is true, this guy who bought 6 tickets thinking he just won 6 million is only going to end up winning 1 million total among all 6 tickets.

http://www.louisianalottery.com/index.cfm?md=game&tmp=viewstats&navID=0&gamename=megam&drawingdat=2012-04-10

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
    Oklahoma
    United States
    Member #82391
    November 12, 2009
    5484 Posts
    Posted: April 11, 2012, 7:28 am - IP Logged

WOW!!! $6 million smart move on his part. HiFi I don't believe the second tier prize is divided amongst other winners in Louisiana I believe that only applies to CA(pari mutuel) correct me if I am wrong as well.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
      Member #111446
      May 25, 2011
      6323 Posts
      Posted: April 11, 2012, 7:36 am - IP Logged

WOW!!! $6 million smart move on his part. HiFi I don't believe the second tier prize is divided amongst other winners in Louisiana I believe that only applies to CA(pari mutuel) correct me if I am wrong as well.

I Agree!

Delaware
        United States
        Member #93505
        July 1, 2010
        404 Posts
        Posted: April 11, 2012, 9:49 am - IP Logged

hey i had 3+0 I'm happy with that.. first time i've had that on the Mega Millions ever!

and I had 26 not 2-6 bleh. lol

and it looks like it will become parimutel since they probably don't have the "funds"

United States
          Member #126141
          April 4, 2012
          26 Posts
          Posted: April 11, 2012, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

Argh... My quick pick numbers were:2, 6, 23, 33, 49, 30.

I feel like I was close.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #94285
            July 17, 2010
            1706 Posts
            Posted: April 11, 2012, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

From the LA lottery website:

- - -

"In accordance with game rules, all set prizes and Megaplier prizes, including the Match 5 prize, may become pari-mutuel if claims exceed available prize funds."

- - - -

But I still think he'll get more than a mil.  I can't find anywhere that says what the available prize funds are for matching 5.  He could get the full 6 mil if the state has that much in the fund.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
              Oklahoma
              United States
              Member #82391
              November 12, 2009
              5484 Posts
              Posted: April 11, 2012, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

Thanks HLK, I didn't know LA was pari-mutuel Thumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                Idaho
                United States
                Member #94285
                July 17, 2010
                1706 Posts
                Posted: April 11, 2012, 3:23 pm - IP Logged

Idaho becomes pari mutuel too, if too many win a certain prize level and the lottery commission doesn't have enough in the fund to cover it.  I'd guess most states have a clause like that.  They'd be bankrupt if someone had all 5 of the white balls and played them with each powerball or megaball.   That would be 33 million they'd have to pay with powerball, or 66 million if the ticket holder bought the powerplay.  There's no way a single state could pay out that kind of money.

Moral of the story:  If you know what the 5 white balls will be, buy a few lines in each of a whole bunch of different states to have a better chance of getting the full payout.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                  egg harbor twp.south jersey shore
                  United States
                  Member #112972
                  June 29, 2011
                  3220 Posts
                  Posted: April 11, 2012, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

Idaho becomes pari mutuel too, if too many win a certain prize level and the lottery commission doesn't have enough in the fund to cover it.  I'd guess most states have a clause like that.  They'd be bankrupt if someone had all 5 of the white balls and played them with each powerball or megaball.   That would be 33 million they'd have to pay with powerball, or 66 million if the ticket holder bought the powerplay.  There's no way a single state could pay out that kind of money.

Moral of the story:  If you know what the 5 white balls will be, buy a few lines in each of a whole bunch of different states to have a better chance of getting the full payout.

They could pay it if they kept the unclaimed JPs for such a purpose.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

HiFi's avatar - police

United States
                    Member #3792
                    February 21, 2004
                    197 Posts
                    Posted: April 12, 2012, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

http://www.louisianalottery.com/index.cfm?md=newsroom&tmp=detail&articleID=910

A total of $6 Million in Mega Millions with Megaplier match-5 prizes were won at Murphy Express #8510 in Denham Springs for the April 10 drawing. One winner stepped forward yesterday and claimed $3 million from three plays on one ticket, which each matched the five white ball numbers but missed the yellow Mega Ball. The usual match-5 prize is $250,000, but when the optional $1-per-play Megaplier option is purchased, the prize becomes $1 million.  The other $3 million-winning ticket has not been claimed. The store earns a 1 percent selling bonus for each match-5 prize-winning play, which amounts to a total of $60,000.The store earns a 1 percent selling bonus for each match-5 prize-winning play, which amounts to a total of $60,000.

Morrison, IL
                      United States
                      Member #4657
                      May 13, 2004
                      1867 Posts
                      Posted: April 12, 2012, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

From the LA lottery website:

- - -

"In accordance with game rules, all set prizes and Megaplier prizes, including the Match 5 prize, may become pari-mutuel if claims exceed available prize funds."

- - - -

But I still think he'll get more than a mil.  I can't find anywhere that says what the available prize funds are for matching 5.  He could get the full 6 mil if the state has that much in the fund.

Actually, if you read the Mega Millions game rules, all the lotteries, excluding California, can send money that is not needed to pay the lower tier prizes for that state into a cash reserve to ensure that a lottery can pay the set prizes awarded.  I also believe there is a NATIONWIDE liability cap of the lesser of 300% of draw sales (excluding CA sales/prizes) or 50% of draw sales + $50 million.  To date, I don't believe that cap has ever been breached.

---

Morrison, IL
                        United States
                        Member #4657
                        May 13, 2004
                        1867 Posts
                        Posted: April 12, 2012, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

Hmmm, after doing some calculations, I've determined that, in terms of MEGAPLIER sales, the anticipated prize fund is 48.392% of sales, and 19.2076 cents of each $1 wagered on the Megaplier goes to pay the $1,000,000 prize winners ($750,000 actually, because the original $250,000 is covered by the first regular $1; also for the other prizes, you have to individually calculate the odds of winning $40,000, $30,000, $20,000, or an extra $30,000, $20,000, or $10,000, and so forth down to the extra $6, $4, and $2, because of the odds of each megaplier being picked being 1.75 to 1, 3 to 1, and 10.5 to 1, for megapliers 4, 3, and 2, respectively; also, for purposes of the MEGAPLIER, the match 5+1 category, of course, pays $0).  Therefore, the $6,000,000 would be covered under normal prize funds (or at least the extra $4,500,000 would be covered) IF ~23.4 million Megaplier options had been purchased already, and those were the only six $1 million wins out of all the draws that it took to sell that many (after all, the flip side of having to pay out the nose for unexpected wins in a set prize game is if there are NO winners of a particular prize level for a long time, the prize money just stays in the state for times when there ARE more wins than expected).  Since the $1 million Megaplier prize doesn't hit that often, it is VERY probable that those wins do not exceed the available prize funds.

---

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          9168 Posts
                          Posted: April 13, 2012, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

Makes you wonder if all six tickets had the same Mega number or six different Mega nunmbers.

I've always thought hitting 5 + 0 would be "sweet but maddening", missing mulit-millions by one number.

Doing it three or six times over could really drive you batty.

Bang Head

Still though, sure pays to play that extra dollar. $1,000,000 is a lot better than $250,000, even more so three or six times over.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.