Welcome Guest
The time is now 7:11 am
You last visited November 24, 2014, 6:50 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do most people who win the lottery jackpots buy just one Ticket or multiple tickets?

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 3 years ago by shyguitar.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122473
February 1, 2012
433 Posts
Posted: April 24, 2012, 9:15 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if most people who win the Jackpots are people who buy just one ticket or if they buy multiple tickets. Sometimes I will hear about a winner who bought 5 lines and sometimes people who will buy 3 lines. I also know that sometimes people who have never played the lottery or rarely play will win while some people who can play for 30 years or so never win.  I tend to buy one ticket per draw since the odds of winning the Jackpot on either MM or PB are so astronomical. Sometimes I wonder if I should buy a few more tickets per draw but have to keep myself on a budget. Just wondered what people thought. Also how many tickets do most of you buy per draw?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: April 24, 2012, 11:49 am - IP Logged

Hey shyguitar,

People win buying one ticket and they win buying multiple tickets, doesn't matter.

I buy one with my own numbers and one QP for every draw.

Buying more than that would give me x more chances to win but with odds of over 175 million to one that I won't win on every ticket I buy, I don't see much of an edge gained by buying more.

I look at the whole thing as a shot in the dark.

Somebody will get lucky eventually and there's two chances in 175 million that it might be me.

Good luck.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
      Member #122473
      February 1, 2012
      433 Posts
      Posted: April 24, 2012, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

Hey shyguitar,

People win buying one ticket and they win buying multiple tickets, doesn't matter.

Buying more than that would give me x more chances to win but with odds of over 175 million to one that I won't win on every ticket I buy, I don't see much of an edge gained by buying more.

Somebody will get lucky eventually and there's two chances in 175 million that it might be me.

Good luck.

Hi Ridge,

Thanks for responding back to my post.  I think your strategy of buying one QP and one with your own numbers is a good one. I wonder if some people are just lucky in general since there are some people who win when they never buy lottery tickets and just decided to buy one for the first time and end up winning the jackpot or getting the second prize (which is still amazing). On a sidenote  Ridge,  I always enjoy reading your posts.

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
        Texas
        United States
        Member #86155
        January 30, 2010
        1432 Posts
        Posted: April 24, 2012, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if most people who win the Jackpots are people who buy just one ticket or if they buy multiple tickets. Sometimes I will hear about a winner who bought 5 lines and sometimes people who will buy 3 lines. I also know that sometimes people who have never played the lottery or rarely play will win while some people who can play for 30 years or so never win.  I tend to buy one ticket per draw since the odds of winning the Jackpot on either MM or PB are so astronomical. Sometimes I wonder if I should buy a few more tickets per draw but have to keep myself on a budget. Just wondered what people thought. Also how many tickets do most of you buy per draw?

Hello "SG",

This style of topic has, and, will continue to be all the rage here at LP. After lots of research on past winners of all types of jackpots and scratch-offs, I'm thoroughly convinced that with such games it's much better to just stay within your budget and allow what's destined to happen just happen. See, there is such a thing as just trying too hard to accomplish a particular thing and purchasing two hand fulls of tickets isn't going to increase your odds of winning by very much at all in the end and I'll tell you why.

If you have lots of tickets and one of those tickets has a line that's very, very, close to the winning numbers, it's HIGHLY, HIGHLY unlikely that another line on another ticket will produce the exact (corrected) winning numbers. Can you understand what I'm saying here? 99% of the time, it's that one line which makes or breaks the player so there's no need for hundreds of lines. I'm not saying it can't actually happen, but rather that it's so unlikely to happen. Basically, there's one chance per set of tickets.

To me, $5 is a nice round number as it's a complete board of numbers and I've done fairly well in the past with this amount. You're gonna win or lose whether you spend $5 or $50 in the end. Financially, $50 goes a long way at $5 per shot, and, allows many more chances at the same win. Just my .02...

L.L.

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          5605 Posts
          Posted: April 24, 2012, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

"the odds of winning the Jackpot on either MM or PB are so astronomical."

It's not just the jackpot; only 3.125% of all PB tickets win anything and 2.5% in MM. A player has to buy 40 MM tickets just to expect to win back something and that's not a guarantee.

I just bought two PB tickets and in the back of mind, I'll have happy "what if" thoughts for the rest of the day.

Minnesnowta
            United States
            Member #125224
            March 27, 2012
            79 Posts
            Posted: April 24, 2012, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

I would be willing to bet that nobody has ever won a Mega Millions or PowerBall jackpot by buying only 1 ticket.

Sure people have one the jackpot with a single line on a single ticket. But that doesn't mean they didn't buy a hundred dollars worth of single tickets. I do that myself. I buy 10 single tickets at a time.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
              Oklahoma
              United States
              Member #82391
              November 12, 2009
              5484 Posts
              Posted: April 24, 2012, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

Hi shyguitar,

I play two set of #'s and usually quick pick one or two lines if I decide to megaply then I usually buy one quick pick I try not to go over $5.00.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                Member #4877
                May 30, 2004
                4641 Posts
                Posted: April 24, 2012, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

SG:

U just can't win if U buy WON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Psyko alway'$$$$$   buy more than WON>>>>>4>>>>>D>JACKPOT$$$

LOL2U2SG

Psyko

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: April 24, 2012, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

Hi Ridge,

Thanks for responding back to my post.  I think your strategy of buying one QP and one with your own numbers is a good one. I wonder if some people are just lucky in general since there are some people who win when they never buy lottery tickets and just decided to buy one for the first time and end up winning the jackpot or getting the second prize (which is still amazing). On a sidenote  Ridge,  I always enjoy reading your posts.

Well thank you kindly for the kind words, shyguitar.

And yes, there definitely are lucky people.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    9166 Posts
                    Posted: April 24, 2012, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

You'd lose your bet, PlayTwoWin.

A few years ago a 19 year old female in Georgia won a jp on the first ticket she ever played, and more recently than that a female corrections officer in NY thought she was buying a ticket for one jp game and played it for the other ((MM & PB) and won the jp on the 'other' game.

Just search the News forum.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

THRIFTY's avatar - darth vader-face.jpeg
                      NEW YORK
                      United States
                      Member #90537
                      April 29, 2010
                      3339 Posts
                      Posted: April 24, 2012, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

Hey shyguitar,

Good luck.

"People win buying one ticket and they win buying multiple tickets, doesn't matter."

US Flag 

YOU WILL NEVER WIN A LOTTERY JACKPOT IN YOUR LIFETIME.

THRIFTY's avatar - darth vader-face.jpeg
                        NEW YORK
                        United States
                        Member #90537
                        April 29, 2010
                        3339 Posts
                        Posted: April 24, 2012, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

Hello "SG",

This style of topic has, and, will continue to be all the rage here at LP. After lots of research on past winners of all types of jackpots and scratch-offs, I'm thoroughly convinced that with such games it's much better to just stay within your budget and allow what's destined to happen just happen. See, there is such a thing as just trying too hard to accomplish a particular thing and purchasing two hand fulls of tickets isn't going to increase your odds of winning by very much at all in the end and I'll tell you why.

If you have lots of tickets and one of those tickets has a line that's very, very, close to the winning numbers, it's HIGHLY, HIGHLY unlikely that another line on another ticket will produce the exact (corrected) winning numbers. Can you understand what I'm saying here? 99% of the time, it's that one line which makes or breaks the player so there's no need for hundreds of lines. I'm not saying it can't actually happen, but rather that it's so unlikely to happen. Basically, there's one chance per set of tickets.

To me, $5 is a nice round number as it's a complete board of numbers and I've done fairly well in the past with this amount. You're gonna win or lose whether you spend $5 or $50 in the end. Financially, $50 goes a long way at $5 per shot, and, allows many more chances at the same win. Just my .02...

L.L.

"To me, $5 is a nice round number as it's a complete board of numbers and I've done fairly well in the past with this amount. You're gonna win or lose whether you spend $5 or $50 in the end. Financially, $50 goes a long way at $5 per shot, and, allows many more chances at the same win. Just my .02..."

US Flag 

YOU WILL NEVER WIN A LOTTERY JACKPOT IN YOUR LIFETIME.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                          Member #4877
                          May 30, 2004
                          4641 Posts
                          Posted: April 24, 2012, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

SG:

U just can't win if U buy WON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Psyko alway'$$$$$   buy more than WON>>>>>4>>>>>D>JACKPOT$$$

LOL2U2SG

Psyko

oh well>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>what D hello>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

psyko is CRAZY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I BET U $1.00 U can't win in 2012 if U only BUY one ticket per drawing in any one of D JACKPOT game's>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!

LOLJack-in-the-Box

steph219121's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                            Dayton OH
                            United States
                            Member #124702
                            March 18, 2012
                            248 Posts
                            Posted: April 24, 2012, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

There is a site called biglotterywinners.com and it has individual winner stories. I found it the other day.

Lucky Lady O-H-I-O

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                              Texas
                              United States
                              Member #86155
                              January 30, 2010
                              1432 Posts
                              Posted: April 24, 2012, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

oh well>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>what D hello>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

psyko is CRAZY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I BET U $1.00 U can't win in 2012 if U only BUY one ticket per drawing in any one of D JACKPOT game's>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!

LOLJack-in-the-Box

I've always thought you were pretty cool from the time I first read one of your posts...years ago. It's good to see that you're still around as a few others are. You probably don't reconize me by my current forum name but, I'm certain you'd know me otherwise.

L.L.