Welcome Guest
The time is now 11:49 pm
You last visited October 22, 2014, 11:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lotto Winner Promises

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 2 years ago by kapla.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Do Lotto Winners follow through on what they promise they will do with their earnings?

Yes, 99.99% of the time [ 6 ]  [10.71%]
Yes, 75% of the time [ 5 ]  [8.93%]
Yes, 50% of the time [ 9 ]  [16.07%]
Yes, 25% of the time [ 4 ]  [7.14%]
No! They were just too excited at th epress confe [ 8 ]  [14.29%]
No, they disappeared from the public after the win [ 5 ]  [8.93%]
No [ 1 ]  [1.79%]
No, I asked a lottery winner and they said no [ 1 ]  [1.79%]
Yes, I asked a lottery winner and they said yes! [ 1 ]  [1.79%]
Don't know, don't care... [ 16 ]  [28.57%]
Total Valid Votes [ 56 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
Member #24380
October 21, 2005
623 Posts
Posted: April 25, 2012, 1:57 am - IP Logged

Lottery Winners are all smiles at Press COnferences and generally tell what they plan to do with their winnings.  Are the truthful?  What has been your experience?

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #48725
    January 7, 2007
    1841 Posts
    Posted: April 25, 2012, 5:04 am - IP Logged

Lottery Winners are all smiles at Press COnferences and generally tell what they plan to do with their winnings.  Are the truthful?  What has been your experience?

Simply changing your mind and not following through on a promise are 2 separate things. If a lottery winner says at a press conference they are going to start their own business and then they never do, they haven't done anything morally wrong.

Gonna win.Big Smile

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
      adelaide sa
      Australia
      Member #37136
      April 11, 2006
      2792 Posts
      Posted: April 25, 2012, 8:53 am - IP Logged

promisies at press conference? only a moron would make one, and only a moron would beleive it.

2014 winnings

JAN -$48.50;  FEB  -$77.5; MAR -$18.05;  APR -$96.05 MAY -$61.10; JUN $-85; JUL $-88.9;AUG -$144.10

yearly grand totalspent = 938.05won= 318.8-$619.25

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        17937 Posts
        Posted: April 25, 2012, 2:36 pm - IP Logged

Lottery winners aren't like politicians or celebrities who are beholding to people who supported them and what ever is said in the excitement of a press conference is not a legal contract that anyone can hold them to.

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
        * your best chance at winning a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
             Wink 

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
          upstate NY
          United States
          Member #108795
          March 31, 2011
          541 Posts
          Posted: April 25, 2012, 9:41 pm - IP Logged

Not sure why this is in the Mathemetics section...

I went with "don't know, don't care"; I don't follow the exploits of lottery winners at all, so I wouldn't know.  I'm aware that a lot of people here are into that "Lottery Changed My Life" show, but personally I couldn't care less about what people do after their big win.

States do not win the lottery.  PEOPLE win the lottery.

Kumo's avatar - ebDWVf6 jpg?1

United States
            Member #122240
            January 27, 2012
            168 Posts
            Posted: April 25, 2012, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

Also went with "don't know, don't care". I think if I ever had a friend that won the lottery and promised to give me a cut of the money, I would not hold my breath or lose sleep waiting for it to happen... and I am going to treat it exactly as an idle promise. Why? Because, money was never the reason for our friendship in the first place, so why with them all of a sudden having tons of money change that?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. ~Ronald Reagan

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." ~Wolfgang von Goethe

"It's preferable to be harmlessly paranoid than fatally stupid."  ~Anonymous

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              17937 Posts
              Posted: April 27, 2012, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

Also went with "don't know, don't care". I think if I ever had a friend that won the lottery and promised to give me a cut of the money, I would not hold my breath or lose sleep waiting for it to happen... and I am going to treat it exactly as an idle promise. Why? Because, money was never the reason for our friendship in the first place, so why with them all of a sudden having tons of money change that?

Sharing wealth with others is not always a good idea.  When Jack Whittaker, the PB winner from W.Va bought a house for his favorite waitress, she complained he didn't include money to pay the higher real estate taxes she didn't have to pay when she lived in a trailer.  When Oprah gave all the folks in her audience a new car, some complained they had to go into debt to pay the taxes on them.  Sharing wealth with some people just make them poorer which isn't doing them a favor.

Wink 

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                Pennsylvania
                United States
                Member #74096
                May 2, 2009
                16525 Posts
                Posted: April 28, 2012, 10:36 pm - IP Logged

I think a lot of people are giddy and out of their mind when they discover they've won a huge amount of money. They make a lot of promises and say they'll

do this for this one and that for that one. When the shock wears off, some might reconsider that promise of a million dollars to each family member or forget

they said they would do something insane, like buy everyone a house. If it's a million, there's not enough to go around. If it's multimillions, there's so many

hands out it seems like a million by the time they really think about how much they'll have left after they give everyone a cut.

It's a good thing to keep you mouth shut, your phone off and your money to yourself because any way you handle it, it won't be enough for someone and

something is going to change - and not for the better. Money does strange things to some people...it's just usually the ones without the big win.

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  2838 Posts
                  Posted: April 29, 2012, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

Maybe the question should be "Do lottery winners do what they initially think they'll do?"

Assuming they tell the truth at the press conferences I'd have to say they usually don't. I seriously doubt that many of them keep their jobs for more than a brief period, though keeping their job is a popular announcement. I'm also reasonably sure that  very few of them initially intend to lose it all in a few short years by making bad decisions, but that's certainly a popular choice that many of them make soon after winning.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                    Member #13130
                    March 30, 2005
                    2171 Posts
                    Posted: April 29, 2012, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

Sharing wealth with others is not always a good idea.  When Jack Whittaker, the PB winner from W.Va bought a house for his favorite waitress, she complained he didn't include money to pay the higher real estate taxes she didn't have to pay when she lived in a trailer.  When Oprah gave all the folks in her audience a new car, some complained they had to go into debt to pay the taxes on them.  Sharing wealth with some people just make them poorer which isn't doing them a favor.

Sharing wealth with some people just make them poorer which isn't doing them a favor.

This is because when someone chooses to share their money with others, the filthy tax man has his undeserving hands out, too. Angry

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                    Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-064.jpg

United States
                      Member #124621
                      March 16, 2012
                      1492 Posts
                      Posted: May 14, 2012, 12:14 am - IP Logged

Seems money never goes as far in fact as it does in theory.  While the heart is bursting with hope and excitement from a win, the reality of just how far that money doesnt go is a set of bracingly cold hard facts.

A family member who sold their business and netted (after taxes) over 5M, was complaining to some that 5M just isn't that much... it seems that there almost becomes a compulsion to hold on tight to what they get so they dont lose it - or exactly the opposite - a wild messy spending spree. 

But a promise in the 'heat of the moment' - seems like I'm echo'ing what has already been said quite well.  Wouldn't hold my breath.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        17937 Posts
                        Posted: May 22, 2012, 8:02 pm - IP Logged

Too many times people hear words never spoken and think of them as promises broken when not fulfilled. 

How many times has some one written "we all are here to help each other win" as if it was a promise someone made.  Then they are disappointed when they PM someone asking for copies of their software, data files, help with an Excel program or something else which would take up their time and receive nothing. 

People come here to help themselves win big and those who think other wise are going to be disappointed.

Wink 

Bahamas
                          Member #114689
                          August 5, 2011
                          422 Posts
                          Posted: May 24, 2012, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

I totally agree. In fact I was pondering this very issue should I win the jackpot in the near future. We have to learn to think things through thoroughly before we perform random acts of kindness.

"Freedom of Speech? Keep reading and you will discover that freedom comes at a price!"

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                            adelaide sa
                            Australia
                            Member #37136
                            April 11, 2006
                            2792 Posts
                            Posted: August 9, 2012, 4:10 am - IP Logged

I ticked dont care. i promise nothing, as thats what im giving. and I expect nothing, and i thats what im getting. sure in a pool, ill give every person who paid their share.  but apart form that i will just want to be left alone. if people even know ive won, i will have failed.

2014 winnings

JAN -$48.50;  FEB  -$77.5; MAR -$18.05;  APR -$96.05 MAY -$61.10; JUN $-85; JUL $-88.9;AUG -$144.10

yearly grand totalspent = 938.05won= 318.8-$619.25

The-One's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcRMqX8QWSV7QJJhDbrG0I-D3eFcqFAzXzCj-A_r-IsB3aQITDh3HQ
                              New York
                              United States
                              Member #130192
                              July 8, 2012
                              147 Posts
                              Posted: August 13, 2012, 11:24 pm - IP Logged

This can be considered my first pre-emptive lotto win press conference.   All my money will go back to the lotto.  After all honesty is the best policy.  Side note the guy I buy lotto tickets from sold a 5 million dollar winning ticket to someone a few months back.  That same person still plays the lotto only now on a much larger scale lol.  Which brings us to one more question.  How much is enough?  Thank You all for your support before during and especially after my win :p

Fortune cookie 101 

If you must choose,  then choose wisely!

According to the Obama admistration you have better odds to hit the next number then the odds of a new job being created.  Good Luck!!! :p

Aside from the Dos Equis beer guy being the most interesting man in the world.  There is no more interesting people in the world than gamblers.  I'm right at home.  :)