Welcome Guest
You last visited December 19, 2014, 4:59 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Did I possibly got scammed by storeclerk?

Topic closed. 53 replies. Last post 2 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
San Francisco
United States
Member #131135
August 3, 2012
10 Posts
Posted: August 3, 2012, 12:31 pm - IP Logged

For some reason this is killing me. Several years back I just started to play super lotto and I scanned my ticket on a lotto scanner and it said congratulations see clerk. I don't recall checking the ticket numbers and gave it to the clerk and he scanned it and said I won $10 or $11 dollars I don't remember exactly. Just wondering if he possibly ripped me off, like i might have gotten more money and he just decided to swap the ticket. Don't know why but i Keep thinking about it. For some reason I keep thinking I won several thousand or even a jackpot.-Jeff in SF

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    21652 Posts
    Posted: August 3, 2012, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

For some reason this is killing me. Several years back I just started to play super lotto and I scanned my ticket on a lotto scanner and it said congratulations see clerk. I don't recall checking the ticket numbers and gave it to the clerk and he scanned it and said I won $10 or $11 dollars I don't remember exactly. Just wondering if he possibly ripped me off, like i might have gotten more money and he just decided to swap the ticket. Don't know why but i Keep thinking about it. For some reason I keep thinking I won several thousand or even a jackpot.-Jeff in SF

Yes, you probably got ripped off.  Always check the numbers yourself at home.  Lottery Post has all the results, so you should be able to easily check all your tickets.  Lottery Post also has all the payout amounts for all the games, so you can see how much you won.  You can double-check at the scanner, but don't make it your primary means of looking at your tickets.

Also, you are entitled to get your lottery tickets back from the cashier after they scan them.  If someone ever tells you that they are forced to keep the ticket (even for a winning ticket), they are LYING and probably scamming you too.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

San Francisco
      United States
      Member #131135
      August 3, 2012
      10 Posts
      Posted: August 3, 2012, 12:42 pm - IP Logged

will the scanners tell you that you won big money or is it all the same for any amount?

San Francisco
        United States
        Member #131135
        August 3, 2012
        10 Posts
        Posted: August 3, 2012, 12:46 pm - IP Logged

I feel pretty <snip>ty right now!! <snip>!!

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

Dead_Aim's avatar - canstock2002989

United States
          Member #6363
          August 20, 2004
          3078 Posts
          Posted: August 3, 2012, 12:48 pm - IP Logged

will the scanners tell you that you won big money or is it all the same for any amount?

Don't know about all scanners, but the scanners here in MO. give a dollar amount until you go above the payout of the store, which is $600 here. At that point, the scanner says to see store clerk, so yes, in all likelihood, you got ripped off! It is a shame we have got to the point that you can not trust anyone, but at the same time, it takes only a moment to check your ticket at home these days.

Don't Chase... Compare and Narrow

The Cheaper the Cost the Higher the Profit

Many Winners to You.

D_A

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            21652 Posts
            Posted: August 3, 2012, 12:50 pm - IP Logged

It depends on the state.  But all the ones I have seen tell you the amount you won directly on the readout.  The only time it doesn't is when your prize is really big (greater than $5,000).  [Edit:  or, as Dead_aim said, greater than $600.]  Then you have to see the prize amount in the little receipt that prints when the clerk scans the ticket, and it usually tells you that you need to fill out a claim form.

I'd suggest contacting your lottery and telling them the store where you scanned it, the date and time you scanned it, and any other details you can think of.  The lottery's security department may be able to track the info in their system.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

San Francisco
              United States
              Member #131135
              August 3, 2012
              10 Posts
              Posted: August 3, 2012, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

Man I really hate myself now, I was a young guy that didn't know really how to play lotto. I know in Ca it say congratulations see clerk and it might have said a dollar amount but I dont really remember my mind is playing tricks on me. I keep thinking i won the jackpot or so!! I feel so sick thinking about this!!

hearsetrax's avatar - 51b3a0fe9bb4647656

United States
                Member #52345
                May 21, 2007
                1939 Posts
                Posted: August 3, 2012, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

such is life and lesson learned ..........

Welcome to the LP and remember bandits R every where ......Big Grin

buried treasure

San Francisco
                  United States
                  Member #131135
                  August 3, 2012
                  10 Posts
                  Posted: August 3, 2012, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

I wanna hurt myself!!!!!

United States
                    Member #124498
                    March 14, 2012
                    7023 Posts
                    Posted: August 3, 2012, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

Yes, you probably got ripped off.  Always check the numbers yourself at home.  Lottery Post has all the results, so you should be able to easily check all your tickets.  Lottery Post also has all the payout amounts for all the games, so you can see how much you won.  You can double-check at the scanner, but don't make it your primary means of looking at your tickets.

Also, you are entitled to get your lottery tickets back from the cashier after they scan them.  If someone ever tells you that they are forced to keep the ticket (even for a winning ticket), they are LYING and probably scamming you too.

Are you sure about this for NY?  Only one clerk gives them back to me.  I used to like to keep them to keep a record, but I dont care so much anywmore as i developed a pretty good way to track them with excel.  One girl used to give them to me, but then she said her boss said to stop.

I dont know what the law states in NY but most clerks refuse to give them back claiming its not allowed.  They also claim too many people, take the redeemed tickets and then try to RECLAIM them somewhere else and that if they return the winning tickets back to the customer then they can lose their priviledge to sell tickets.

I dont know what the regulations say on paper, but I could see some scoundrels trying to redeem a ticket twice, and creating a big stink over it, so it is understandable.  New York scanners also have the amounts showing,  I will let you know on prizes over $600 when i get another one!!!!!Wink

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      5650 Posts
                      Posted: August 3, 2012, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

Man I really hate myself now, I was a young guy that didn't know really how to play lotto. I know in Ca it say congratulations see clerk and it might have said a dollar amount but I dont really remember my mind is playing tricks on me. I keep thinking i won the jackpot or so!! I feel so sick thinking about this!!

Or the prize was the $10 or $11 the clerk handed you. I once cashed a ticket I thought was worth $40 and the clerk handed me $400.

Most state lotteries publish which stores sold jackpot winning tickets and I doubt a scanner would direct you to "see the clerk" if that ticket won the jackpot. Based on that, your ticket wasn't a jackpot winner but could have been worth more. You'll never really know and it's too late to know for sure, but you've had plenty of advice so you'll know next time you cash a winning ticket.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        18101 Posts
                        Posted: August 3, 2012, 1:40 pm - IP Logged

Since it happened several years ago, it's water under the bridge now what ever happened, even if you had never cashed it in.  The time to have been concerned was then.  Now all you can do is make sure it never happens again.

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
                        * your best chance at winning a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
                             Wink 

San Francisco
                          United States
                          Member #131135
                          August 3, 2012
                          10 Posts
                          Posted: August 3, 2012, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

my friend says I probably just won $10 and I am worrying hard. Man, i am suffering hard!

Dead_Aim's avatar - canstock2002989

United States
                            Member #6363
                            August 20, 2004
                            3078 Posts
                            Posted: August 3, 2012, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

I wanna hurt myself!!!!!

The clerk may have got you for a few 100 or even a 1000 or so, but the odds are in your favor it was nothing life altering. If it was a jackpot, I think you have noticed something going on with them. Either acting strange or a little to giddy. (1) because they are thinking they are about to become a millionaire, or (2)  they are going to prison if they don't pull this off right. Their demeanor would probably be based on if they had done it before, and how many times they got away with it. 

Don't Chase... Compare and Narrow

The Cheaper the Cost the Higher the Profit

Many Winners to You.

D_A

San Francisco
                              United States
                              Member #131135
                              August 3, 2012
                              10 Posts
                              Posted: August 3, 2012, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

The clerk was pretty non-chalant and he was like you won$10 with a pretty straight face.