Welcome Guest
The time is now 5:30 am
You last visited April 19, 2014, 5:29 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

powerball taxes?

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 1 year ago by billionaire2bee.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
kyokushin187's avatar - evildead2
cornwall,ct
United States
Member #102639
December 23, 2010
241 Posts
Posted: December 11, 2012, 9:21 am - IP Logged

I'm a bit confused on the taxes and how it is calculated for 5+0 w/ pp(2,000,000.00). Here in ct the taxes are 25% and another 6.7%.now by my calculations on a 2 mil win minus those taxes the payout after taxes should be $1,399,500.00. But i noticed that the ct winner who won the 5+0 w/pp p(2mill) their take home payout was $1,366,001.00.i called the ct lottery office but the guy that answered the phone kind of just brushed it off as i was calculating it wrong. I don't see how math is math. We had i 5+0 w/pp winner and two 5+0 w/o pp winners. Could that have had a reflection on the payout amount after taxes? What do you guys think?

Kyokushin karate a.k.a.

" The strongest Karate"

NY
    United States
    Member #23835
    October 16, 2005
    2809 Posts
    Posted: December 11, 2012, 11:36 am - IP Logged

The guy you talked to is right. Your math is wrong.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
      Boise, ID
      United States
      Member #94285
      July 17, 2010
      1407 Posts
      Posted: December 11, 2012, 12:44 pm - IP Logged

I like the Turbo Tax Caster.

You don't need to fill in most of it to get a close estimate, just the 3 items on personal info, then your income from salary, then put the lottery winnings under Other Income.  Then click Continue and calculate your state tax and put that in under Other Tax Payments (the Uncle Sam Hat icon).

The result will be how much you owe the Feds.  Add that number to the amount you calculated for state tax.  Now subtract that from the 2 million winnings and that's how much money you'll walk away with.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
        Boise, ID
        United States
        Member #94285
        July 17, 2010
        1407 Posts
        Posted: December 11, 2012, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

Just figured it for Idaho.  I'd owe the feds about $625K after the state tax is entered into the calculator.  The state tax is 160K (8%) for a total of $785K owed which would leave me with around 1.21 mil spendable after all taxes are paid.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          17419 Posts
          Posted: December 11, 2012, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

I'll figure out the taxes if and when I win.  If I never then I won't.

* Thoses who can, do * 
          * thoses who can't, just talk *
          Roll Eyes 

United States
            Member #130820
            July 25, 2012
            1636 Posts
            Posted: December 11, 2012, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

I'll figure out the taxes if and when I win.  If I never then I won't.

I don't know I'd like to have some idea of what I'm going to pay in taxes upfront...so's I can concentrate on what I get for myself...and how I'm going to spend, save, distribute that...depending on the amount won.....

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
              Member #133467
              September 30, 2012
              4929 Posts
              Posted: December 11, 2012, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

I don't know I'd like to have some idea of what I'm going to pay in taxes upfront...so's I can concentrate on what I get for myself...and how I'm going to spend, save, distribute that...depending on the amount won.....

You don't know IF you'll ever win, and even if you do, what game, what amount and what tax rates will be at that point in time. I think the exercise is futile. Focus all your energies and research and efforts on the WINNING part. You can hire and fire people to do that for you when you win. That's why you have those two weeks.

"Everything works  ONCE!"

United States
                Member #130820
                July 25, 2012
                1636 Posts
                Posted: December 11, 2012, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

You don't know IF you'll ever win, and even if you do, what game, what amount and what tax rates will be at that point in time. I think the exercise is futile. Focus all your energies and research and efforts on the WINNING part. You can hire and fire people to do that for you when you win. That's why you have those two weeks.

That's not the point...I believe one day I am going to win and i like to think about what I'd do if i won.....I've never been a cross that bridge when I come to it kind of person...I like to have a of plan of action for everything I do or some idea in the least.......

cornwall,ct
                  United States
                  Member #102639
                  December 23, 2010
                  241 Posts
                  Posted: December 11, 2012, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

That's not the point...I believe one day I am going to win and i like to think about what I'd do if i won.....I've never been a cross that bridge when I come to it kind of person...I like to have a of plan of action for everything I do or some idea in the least.......

I Agree!

Kyokushin karate a.k.a.

" The strongest Karate"

United States
                    Member #130820
                    July 25, 2012
                    1636 Posts
                    Posted: December 11, 2012, 1:44 pm - IP Logged

I'm a bit confused on the taxes and how it is calculated for 5+0 w/ pp(2,000,000.00). Here in ct the taxes are 25% and another 6.7%.now by my calculations on a 2 mil win minus those taxes the payout after taxes should be $1,399,500.00. But i noticed that the ct winner who won the 5+0 w/pp p(2mill) their take home payout was $1,366,001.00.i called the ct lottery office but the guy that answered the phone kind of just brushed it off as i was calculating it wrong. I don't see how math is math. We had i 5+0 w/pp winner and two 5+0 w/o pp winners. Could that have had a reflection on the payout amount after taxes? What do you guys think?

Yeah I came up with the $1,366,001 too....Did you use 31.7% as the tax rate (25% + 6.7%)....

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
                      Member #133467
                      September 30, 2012
                      4929 Posts
                      Posted: December 11, 2012, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

I understand your perspective, but how can you do any REAL planning with so many unknowns?

I think most of us have figured out a rough plan of action but nothing detailed and to the dollar.

I've done it by percentage: x% for savings x% for investments x% for real estate, etc.

"Everything works  ONCE!"

United States
                        Member #130820
                        July 25, 2012
                        1636 Posts
                        Posted: December 11, 2012, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

I understand your perspective, but how can you do any REAL planning with so many unknowns?

I think most of us have figured out a rough plan of action but nothing detailed and to the dollar.

I've done it by percentage: x% for savings x% for investments x% for real estate, etc.

I mean it's not written in stone I just want SOME idea of where to go and what I want to do....Look at it like this:

Havent you had days when you had so much to do you didn't know what you wanted to do first or what...What did you do? Did you maybe make a list of what you wanted to accomplish.....Things are easier to remember and prioritize when they are written down....Mine is just a rough idea of what i want to do if and when I win that's all....I want some course of action I can take and have some idea of it...

United States
                          Member #135809
                          November 29, 2012
                          192 Posts
                          Posted: December 11, 2012, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

So y'all are saying if you resided in Maryland, you wouldn't prefer to buy your ticket in Delaware, which allows anonymous claiming of prizes? That's something that you should only have to think about if, and at the time, you win isn't it? Would you prefer to buy your ticket in Pennsylvania, which allows claiming by any legal entity (including corporation) and has 0% state income tax on lottery winnings vs. Virginia, with a 4% rate and which forces you to take a photo and more than likely forces you to attend a press conference if you win (based on the language on their FAQ)?

cornwall,ct
                            United States
                            Member #102639
                            December 23, 2010
                            241 Posts
                            Posted: December 11, 2012, 6:08 pm - IP Logged

Yeah I came up with the $1,366,001 too....Did you use 31.7% as the tax rate (25% + 6.7%)....

Thanks for the correction. I was incorrect. I didn't  add 25% and 6.7% percent together but subtracted them separate

Kyokushin karate a.k.a.

" The strongest Karate"

United States
                              Member #116272
                              September 7, 2011
                              20244 Posts
                              Posted: December 11, 2012, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the correction. I was incorrect. I didn't  add 25% and 6.7% percent together but subtracted them separate

Good point though...... Why should you have to pay state tax on the portion that is federal tax????/

I mean after your pants have been pulled down by the feds, the state says "dont pull them up yet"??