Welcome Guest
The time is now 8:07 pm
You last visited October 21, 2014, 8:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lotto System Development Simplified

Topic closed. 52 replies. Last post 2 years ago by LottoBoner.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
jimmy4164's avatar - andy warhol.jpg
State of Mind
United States
Member #93949
July 10, 2010
2175 Posts
Posted: January 11, 2013, 8:04 pm - IP Logged
A lot of energy is expended here trying to design a system that might help a player win a Lotto Jackpot.  The problem is that the dimensions of the state games are such that designers must deal with very LARGE numbers of combinations and very SMALL probabilities.  Very often, the designer's ideas become obscured by complicated and tedious calculations.  This thread is an attempt to provide a Lotto game model of scaled down dimensions to allow people to focus on system theories, rather than boring calculations.  So, let's take a look at an arbitrary scaled down version of a Lotto game.  Although I know of no Lotto game, state sanctioned or otherwise, that has these dimensions,it should be clear that any system designed for it can be extrapolated to a game with a larger matrix.  For this purpose, I've designed a (5,2) Lotto game.  It will be much easier to understand a betting system when it's applied to a (5,2) game as opposed to say, a (56,5) game! 
 (1)  (2)  (3)  (4)  (5)
Remember now, we're playing Lotto, not Pick-2.  Initially, there are 5 Balls in the drawing machine, numbered 1 through 5.  The first selection is made from these 5, and the second is drawn from the 4 remaining.  The order they are drawn is not significant so we will list the results for each draw in ascending order, left to right.
(1,2)    (2,4)
(1,3)    (2,5)        OK, in a (5,2) Lotto game,
(1,4)    (3,4)        here are the possible outcomes.
(1,5)    (3,5)
(2,3)    (4,5)
That's a total of Ten (10) possibilities.  In a (56,5) game, this number would be 3,819,816.  I think our scaled down game will be a little easier to work with!  In this simplified model, ODDS and PAYOFFS will be easy to determine by inspection.  Look at the list of 10 winning ticket possibilites and convince yourself that the theoretical chance of matching both numbers you select is one in ten, or 1:10, or 1/10, or 0.1, or 10%, however you like to express it.  This is our Jackpot.  Our 2nd tier prize will be awarded for correctly selecting 1 number on your ticket.  By inspection, you should see above that the chance of matching one of the two numbers you select is four in ten, or 4:10, or 2/5, or 0.4, or 40%.  Consequently, to ensure the Expected Value of this game is 0.50, the typical state lottery case, our $1 tickets will pay $4.00 for matching both numbers (the Jackpot,) and 25 Cents for a one number match.  So, ON AVERAGE, for each set of 10 tickets we purchase, we can expect to match one number four times, and both numbers one time, for a return of $5.00 on our $10 investment, our desired ROI.
Since some people in another Forum have been studying subsets of the total number field, I thought I would do some of the setup that will help them use this (5,2) game in their research.  They have been looking at a subset of 28 of the Megamillions total of 56.  They observe that IF they could select a subset of the 56 number field that contains the 5 numbers that are ultimately drawn, Then they would have better odds of winning a Jackpot.  So, let's see how we can partition our (5,2) game in an analogous way.  If we eliminate one of the five numbers from play, we would only have to deal with four, so...
(1,2,3,4) 
(1,2,3,5)        ...here are the partitions of our 
(1,2,4,5)        5 numbers taken 4 at a time.
(1,3,4,5)        Note that each set is missing
(2,3,4,5)        one of the five numbers.
Hint to the subset researchers:

Each of the 10 winning (Jackpot) pairs of numbers in our first list above appears in 3 of the 5 possible subsets of 5 numbers taken 4 at a time.  I'll leave speculation on the probabilities and other implications of this model for a later post.
Perhaps someone has a system they would like to present using this simple model.
--Jimmy4164

United States
    Member #116272
    September 7, 2011
    20244 Posts
    Posted: January 11, 2013, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

Nice work.Yes Nod

United States
      Member #116348
      September 8, 2011
      2345 Posts
      Posted: January 11, 2013, 9:35 pm - IP Logged
      A lot of energy is expended here trying to design a system that might help a player win a Lotto Jackpot.  The problem is that the dimensions of the state games are such that designers must deal with very LARGE numbers of combinations and very SMALL probabilities.  Very often, the designer's ideas become obscured by complicated and tedious calculations.  This thread is an attempt to provide a Lotto game model of scaled down dimensions to allow people to focus on system theories, rather than boring calculations.  So, let's take a look at an arbitrary scaled down version of a Lotto game.  Although I know of no Lotto game, state sanctioned or otherwise, that has these dimensions,it should be clear that any system designed for it can be extrapolated to a game with a larger matrix.  For this purpose, I've designed a (5,2) Lotto game.  It will be much easier to understand a betting system when it's applied to a (5,2) game as opposed to say, a (56,5) game! 
       (1)  (2)  (3)  (4)  (5)
      Remember now, we're playing Lotto, not Pick-2.  Initially, there are 5 Balls in the drawing machine, numbered 1 through 5.  The first selection is made from these 5, and the second is drawn from the 4 remaining.  The order they are drawn is not significant so we will list the results for each draw in ascending order, left to right.
      (1,2)    (2,4)
      (1,5)    (3,5)
      (2,3)    (4,5)
      That's a total of Ten (10) possibilities.  In a (56,5) game, this number would be 3,819,816.  I think our scaled down game will be a little easier to work with!  In this simplified model, ODDS and PAYOFFS will be easy to determine by inspection.  Look at the list of 10 winning ticket possibilites and convince yourself that the theoretical chance of matching both numbers you select is one in ten, or 1:10, or 1/10, or 0.1, or 10%, however you like to express it.  This is our Jackpot.  Our 2nd tier prize will be awarded for correctly selecting 1 number on your ticket.  By inspection, you should see above that the chance of matching one of the two numbers you select is four in ten, or 4:10, or 2/5, or 0.4, or 40%.  Consequently, to ensure the Expected Value of this game is 0.50, the typical state lottery case, our $1 tickets will pay $4.00 for matching both numbers (the Jackpot,) and 25 Cents for a one number match.  So, ON AVERAGE, for each set of 10 tickets we purchase, we can expect to match one number four times, and both numbers one time, for a return of $5.00 on our $10 investment, our desired ROI.
      Since some people in another Forum have been studying subsets of the total number field, I thought I would do some of the setup that will help them use this (5,2) game in their research.  They have been looking at a subset of 28 of the Megamillions total of 56.  They observe that IF they could select a subset of the 56 number field that contains the 5 numbers that are ultimately drawn, Then they would have better odds of winning a Jackpot.  So, let's see how we can partition our (5,2) game in an analogous way.  If we eliminate one of the five numbers from play, we would only have to deal with four, so...
      (1,2,3,4) 

Each of the 10 winning (Jackpot) pairs of numbers in our first list above appears in 3 of the 5 possible subsets of 5 numbers taken 4 at a time.  I'll leave speculation on the probabilities and other implications of this model for a later post.
      Perhaps someone has a system they would like to present using this simple model.
      --Jimmy4164

Very logical,  but so far as we work within the confines of lottery parameters or rules(why should pool size or field be 0-9 for p3,p4, why 5/31, 6/49 for lotto), we can't be part of  0.1  ratio winners where the money is made. I thought every lottery/lotto format started with a model which was then extrapulated into this astranomical odds, so the reverse is also true, one need to scale down for laser targeting. Just take any lottery/lotto , look at the range of drawn numbers for  a month, it could be  5/17 for 5/34 lotto, it could be 0-7 field for pick3 ,pick 4.  Is best to build your system/method on reduced  field /pool  with this in mind " less hits but big payout". 

State of Mind
        United States
        Member #93949
        July 10, 2010
        2175 Posts
        Posted: January 13, 2013, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

Very logical,  but so far as we work within the confines of lottery parameters or rules(why should pool size or field be 0-9 for p3,p4, why 5/31, 6/49 for lotto), we can't be part of  0.1  ratio winners where the money is made. I thought every lottery/lotto format started with a model which was then extrapulated into this astranomical odds, so the reverse is also true, one need to scale down for laser targeting. Just take any lottery/lotto , look at the range of drawn numbers for  a month, it could be  5/17 for 5/34 lotto, it could be 0-7 field for pick3 ,pick 4.  Is best to build your system/method on reduced  field /pool  with this in mind " less hits but big payout". 

Adobea78,

In light of your views on a scaled down look at games, what do you think of Ronnie316, Stack47, and Lottoboner's ideas in this thread?

https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/247020/2878030

--Jimmy4164

United States
          Member #116348
          September 8, 2011
          2345 Posts
          Posted: January 13, 2013, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

Adobea78,

In light of your views on a scaled down look at games, what do you think of Ronnie316, Stack47, and Lottoboner's ideas in this thread?

https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/247020/2878030

--Jimmy4164

stay on track, is the right approach, hard to get people out of comfort zones, ideals or concept posed are never addressed,  but reason the concept is flawed abounds. Got pm from many members in line with the concept so do your thing!

JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
            Member #5599
            July 13, 2004
            1163 Posts
            Posted: January 14, 2013, 2:46 am - IP Logged

Hi,

Just to throw another point of view into the mix....

Scaling methods are valid and important as far as they go. The problem is that number shuffling is only part of a much bigger picture.

Imagine moving Scabble tiles around in the most effective way, but not having a vocabulary to spell out the words. In other words, without having good number indicators for your base sets, you will probably end up with a very expensive system with a low yield of wins (by coincidence).

I think the primary battle that most are fighting is in generating good base numbers to play in our sets. Then secondly, figuring out the best number shuffle.

United States
              Member #116348
              September 8, 2011
              2345 Posts
              Posted: January 14, 2013, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

Hi,

Just to throw another point of view into the mix....

Scaling methods are valid and important as far as they go. The problem is that number shuffling is only part of a much bigger picture.

Imagine moving Scabble tiles around in the most effective way, but not having a vocabulary to spell out the words. In other words, without having good number indicators for your base sets, you will probably end up with a very expensive system with a low yield of wins (by coincidence).

I think the primary battle that most are fighting is in generating good base numbers to play in our sets. Then secondly, figuring out the best number shuffle.

'without having good number indicators for your base sets'  , I like this statement, inadvertently you hit the nail right on the head. I think I have the triggers for my subsets.

lakerben's avatar - waveform
                New Mexico
                United States
                Member #86100
                January 29, 2010
                8496 Posts
                Posted: January 14, 2013, 1:43 pm - IP Logged
                 (1)  (2)  (3)  (4)  (5)
                (1,2)    (2,4)
                (1,5)    (3,5)
                (2,3)    (4,5)
                (1,2,3,4) 

--Jimmy4164

Can you use the powerball or megamillions as an example of what you are showing?  This seems interesting but all the verbage is taking away from your great ideas.

Hiding Behind Computer

No bs, just numbers.

Patriot

x1kosmic's avatar - neptune vg2.gif

United States
                  Member #48046
                  December 7, 2006
                  1699 Posts
                  Posted: January 14, 2013, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

Jimmy's shown that you can make  10 pairs  from  5  numbers

and if  at least 2  hit  of the 5,    You can't miss getting two right

I'm kinda thinking,  that  if you were to use something like 

5 numbers,  but treat it as ONE number

You could make  'Pairs' that way

....is that kinda close?????????

State of Mind
                    United States
                    Member #93949
                    July 10, 2010
                    2175 Posts
                    Posted: January 14, 2013, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

Can you use the powerball or megamillions as an example of what you are showing?  This seems interesting but all the verbage is taking away from your great ideas.

Hiding Behind Computer

Lakerben,

I want to stick with this simple (5,2) model until the probabilities  of winning with subset selection can be compared to the obvious one in ten chance of a "Jackpot" when 2 numbers for a ticket are chosen purely at random.  I'm still waiting for someone else to do it, preferably someone who believes the subset approach will be superior.

--Jimmy4164

United States
                      Member #116348
                      September 8, 2011
                      2345 Posts
                      Posted: January 14, 2013, 5:34 pm - IP Logged

Lakerben,

I want to stick with this simple (5,2) model until the probabilities  of winning with subset selection can be compared to the obvious one in ten chance of a "Jackpot" when 2 numbers for a ticket are chosen purely at random.  I'm still waiting for someone else to do it, preferably someone who believes the subset approach will be superior.

--Jimmy4164

This topic should be in math forum, but I want you define  Probability. There's no singular definition when it comes to its interpretation. Check the two major interpretations(theoritical and practical) of probabilty, how the concept of probabilty evolved. The simple model (5,2) of larger matrix is left to how one interprets probabilty. Don't get stuck  with 'odds and impossibility' but rather ' why the scale-down'  can work. You don't need someone to come with the subset approach, you draw your conclusion by detailed definition of probability. Good luck in research, we need a win!

State of Mind
                        United States
                        Member #93949
                        July 10, 2010
                        2175 Posts
                        Posted: January 14, 2013, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

This topic should be in math forum, but I want you define  Probability. There's no singular definition when it comes to its interpretation. Check the two major interpretations(theoritical and practical) of probabilty, how the concept of probabilty evolved. The simple model (5,2) of larger matrix is left to how one interprets probabilty. Don't get stuck  with 'odds and impossibility' but rather ' why the scale-down'  can work. You don't need someone to come with the subset approach, you draw your conclusion by detailed definition of probability. Good luck in research, we need a win!

I put this Topic in the Systems Forum because it was motivated by the theory put forth in Discussion that subsets of Lotto fields could be systematically chosen to improve a player's odds of winning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_probability

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probability

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          17937 Posts
                          Posted: January 15, 2013, 1:41 am - IP Logged

Hiding Behind Computer

You're talking about the real world, this 2/5 stuff is make believe and for conversation only.

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
                          * your best chance at winning a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
                               Wink 

CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                            Atchafalaya Basin
                            United States
                            Member #90218
                            April 24, 2010
                            10621 Posts
                            Posted: January 15, 2013, 2:23 am - IP Logged

I put this Topic in the Systems Forum because it was motivated by the theory put forth in Discussion that subsets of Lotto fields could be systematically chosen to improve a player's odds of winning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_probability

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probability

jimmy4164 ,

Just show us some real Predictions with some Wins !!! With your  System , Method or Theory with a say about 7 to 25 Predictions Lines for NY Take 5 its should be easy the game is a Mech. Draw . All this Probability and Theory are meaningless !! Just real Predictions from a persons System , Methods or Theories that works consistently is the only proof needed .

CW4

State of Mind
                              United States
                              Member #93949
                              July 10, 2010
                              2175 Posts
                              Posted: January 15, 2013, 3:16 am - IP Logged

jimmy4164 ,

Just show us some real Predictions with some Wins !!! With your  System , Method or Theory with a say about 7 to 25 Predictions Lines for NY Take 5 its should be easy the game is a Mech. Draw . All this Probability and Theory are meaningless !! Just real Predictions from a persons System , Methods or Theories that works consistently is the only proof needed .

CW4

"All this Probability and Theory are meaningless."

I'm sorry you feel this way CajunWin4.  It doesn't bode well for your chances of success in the endeavors suggested in this post...

https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/247020/2880981 

...but you might find it interesting nonetheless.

--Jimmy4164