Welcome Guest
The time is now 9:18 am
You last visited November 1, 2014, 8:53 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What is your experience??

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Ronnie316.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #130820
July 25, 2012
1636 Posts
Posted: January 23, 2013, 8:11 am - IP Logged

Im wondering on all these big wins...what is the procedure people go thru to cash their tickets in? Here in NC we have to go to the lottery headquarters for anything $600 and over....Now we have about 5 lottery headquarter locations across the state but if you hit the big one I think you have to go to the main one in Raleigh....But all of you in other states can you cash in a ticket.... scatch-off or otherwise.... anywhere other than you lottery headquarters??

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
    Oklahoma
    United States
    Member #82391
    November 12, 2009
    5426 Posts
    Posted: January 23, 2013, 8:23 am - IP Logged

I believe $600.00 is the limit in Oklahoma as well. Now Oklahoma has dozens of locations(Authorized Lottery Claim Centers) where you can go to claim a prize exceeding $600.00 to $5,000 but anything over $5,001 has to be claim at Lottery Headquarters.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

msharkey2001's avatar - animal shark.jpg
      New Hampshire
      United States
      Member #136497
      December 12, 2012
      221 Posts
      Posted: January 23, 2013, 9:23 am - IP Logged

Im wondering on all these big wins...what is the procedure people go thru to cash their tickets in? Here in NC we have to go to the lottery headquarters for anything $600 and over....Now we have about 5 lottery headquarter locations across the state but if you hit the big one I think you have to go to the main one in Raleigh....But all of you in other states can you cash in a ticket.... scatch-off or otherwise.... anywhere other than you lottery headquarters??

It's $600 here in New Hampshire as well. Being a very small state geographically we have only one lottery headquarters in the state capital which is at max a 2 1/2 hour drive away even from the most remote northern locations.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        17952 Posts
        Posted: January 23, 2013, 11:36 am - IP Logged

All states have lottery websites that explain the procedures for cashing winning tickets.  Here in Ohio we can cash any winning ticket up to $600 at any lottery retailer.  Winning tickets will a value of $600 to $5,000 can be cashed at a state approved bank usually within 20 miles after being verified by a local retailer and those above $5,000 has to be taken to a regional lottery office which is usually within 80 miles.

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
        * your best chance at winning a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
             Wink 

United States
          Member #111446
          May 25, 2011
          6323 Posts
          Posted: January 23, 2013, 11:36 am - IP Logged

It's $600 here in New Hampshire as well. Being a very small state geographically we have only one lottery headquarters in the state capital which is at max a 2 1/2 hour drive away even from the most remote northern locations.

Although NH is a small state, it can take up to 2.5 days to reach the Concord lottery headquarters by cow.

Cows are the preferred means of transportation for most granite stater's, who are concerned with the local ecology.

The scenic views are well worth the trip however!  Yes Nod

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #94285
            July 17, 2010
            1705 Posts
            Posted: January 23, 2013, 12:03 pm - IP Logged

Idaho's a pretty big state, and as far as I can see, we only have on lottery office here in Boise.  The people in Eastern or Northern Idaho have to claim by mail, or make the trek to Boise.

msharkey2001's avatar - animal shark.jpg
              New Hampshire
              United States
              Member #136497
              December 12, 2012
              221 Posts
              Posted: January 23, 2013, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

Although NH is a small state, it can take up to 2.5 days to reach the Concord lottery headquarters by cow.

Cows are the preferred means of transportation for most granite stater's, who are concerned with the local ecology.

Haha so true especially if you were riding a cow down from Dixville Notch to Concord.

United States
                Member #130820
                July 25, 2012
                1636 Posts
                Posted: January 23, 2013, 1:03 pm - IP Logged

All states have lottery websites that explain the procedures for cashing winning tickets.  Here in Ohio we can cash any winning ticket up to $600 at any lottery retailer.  Winning tickets will a value of $600 to $5,000 can be cashed at a state approved bank usually within 20 miles after being verified by a local retailer and those above $5,000 has to be taken to a regional lottery office which is usually within 80 miles.

Really?? Wow that's interesting....being able to cash a ticket in at a bank...that's kinda convienent

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                  Charlotte NC
                  United States
                  Member #17406
                  June 18, 2005
                  4036 Posts
                  Posted: January 23, 2013, 1:17 pm - IP Logged

the bank thing is cool but it gives me pause if they follow the same procedures to verify that you are indeed the proper winner of the ticket.  There so so much lottery fraud.

takeemtothebank

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    9126 Posts
                    Posted: January 23, 2013, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

RJOh,

That really sounds convenient with the banks in Ohio.

These are the rules in Illinois:

For prizes up to $600

Most local lottery retailers will cash winning tickets that are less than $600.  Their ability to cash winning tickets is subject to fund availability and the individual retailer’s preference.  You can also cash lower denomination winning lottery tickets (less than $600) at any of the Prize Claim Centers around the state.  If you can’t make it to a Prize Claim Center, you can also mail your winning ticket to an Illinois Lottery Claims Department in Springfield, IL.  The address is:

ILLINOIS LOTTERY
                    CLAIMS DEPARTMENT
                    P.O. BOX 19080
                    SPRINGFIELD, IL, 62794-9080

Prizes over $600 but less than $1 million

Fill out a claim form available at any Illinois Lottery retailer and  mail it in. You'll receive your check in 4-6 weeks (less any taxes).

You can mail your winning ticket to Springfield, IL.  The address is:

ILLINOIS LOTTERY
                    CLAIMS DEPARTMENT
                    P.O. BOX 19080
                    SPRINGFIELD, IL, 62794-9080

You can also visit Prize Claim Centers to immediately receive winnings up to $25,000 (less any taxes).

When you visit a prize center for any prize over $600, you'll need a photo ID and some means of verifying your Social Security Number.

For prizes over $25,000, these centers can mail your claim form to the Illinois Lottery Claims Department in Springfield, IL, for you.

Prizes of $1 million or more

Call the Illinois Lottery Claims Department  at 217-524-5147 immediately! Then call your mom, your friends, and your entire address book.

Prize Claim Center Locations

Reminder! When you visit a Prize Center to file a claim for any prize amount over $600, you need to bring a photo ID, AND some means of verifying your Social Security Number.

Chicago

Des Plaines

Rockford

Fairview Heights

Springfield

There's a ton of information here (most of it pertains to Illinois but some is general)

Illinois Lottery Winners' Handbook

http://www.illinoislottery.com/content/dam/ill/documents/subsections/pr/Illinois%20Lottery%20Winners%20Handbook.pdf

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Carvella05's avatar - chick
                      The lost quadrant of Cape Coral, FL
                      United States
                      Member #137594
                      January 7, 2013
                      104 Posts
                      Posted: January 23, 2013, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

Just moved from Hooksett, NH. Loved the NH scratch-offs. Dance

BashThe person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. –Chinese Proverb 

Carvella05's avatar - chick
                        The lost quadrant of Cape Coral, FL
                        United States
                        Member #137594
                        January 7, 2013
                        104 Posts
                        Posted: January 23, 2013, 5:36 pm - IP Logged

Here it is for the Florida lottery-

"Prizes of less than $600 can be claimed at any Florida retailer.

Prizes up to $250,000 can be claimed at any Florida Lottery

district office. Prizes greater than $250,000 must be claimed at Lottery

headquarters in Tallahassee." Big Grin Angel

BashThe person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. –Chinese Proverb 

United States
                          Member #116272
                          September 7, 2011
                          20244 Posts
                          Posted: January 23, 2013, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

Im just down the street from my lottery headquarters. Makes cashing big winners easy.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                            Member #121750
                            January 16, 2012
                            3290 Posts
                            Posted: January 23, 2013, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

Im just down the street from my lottery headquarters. Makes cashing big winners easy.

Ronnie: Maybe you can just waive your winning jp ticket to them from your balcony.

Just as the bird sings or the butterfly soars,

because it is his natural characteristic,

so the artist works.

by Alma  Gluck

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              5545 Posts
                              Posted: January 23, 2013, 8:02 pm - IP Logged

Ohio did a nice job to expedite their original process.

The first time I hit the pick-4, the clerk where I bought the ticket didn't know if they had a claims form or how to fill it out after they found it. When it was finally filled out and I found the nearest cashing bank (25 miles away), it needed notarized so I stopped at an Auto Dealership on the way to the bank and waited 20 minutes while the Notary was in the bathroom. The Bank Teller asked if I had an account at their bank and because I didn't, decided I had to pay the $10 processing fee up front as if there was a difference between me paying her or her paying me $10 less. It took me over 3 hours from start to finish.

The Ohio Lottery finally gave easy to follow instructions to their retailers, changed to a bank with more locations, and had them notarize the claim form so the next time it took less than 45 minutes. It was a little more complicated with multiple winning tickets, but I made a phone call to lottery headquarters and they gave me a number the retailer or the bank could call if they had any questions.

Kentucky has Cashing Agents in every county eliminating going to a retailer and pay by cash or by check on the spot.