Welcome Guest
The time is now 9:41 pm
You last visited October 22, 2014, 9:36 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Powerplay Option

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 2 years ago by jimmy4164.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
jimmy4164's avatar - andy warhol.jpg
State of Mind
United States
Member #93949
July 10, 2010
2175 Posts
Posted: January 30, 2013, 12:37 pm - IP Logged

I'm sure the pros and cons of the Powerplay Option have been discussed here before, but I missed it.  Regardless, this Powerball Simulator might give some people another way to look at it.  It seems to support spending the extra $ for the Powerplay, unless your only interest is in hitting the 2 biggest prizes.  The 4X incentive of the 4 + PB payout encourages me to start shelling out $3 instead of $2.

What do you think?

http://www.justwebware.com/powerball/powerball.html 

--Jimmy4164

SergeM's avatar - alas
    Economy class
    Belgium
    Member #123705
    February 27, 2012
    2881 Posts
    Posted: January 30, 2013, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

Did you program it?

State of Mind
      United States
      Member #93949
      July 10, 2010
      2175 Posts
      Posted: January 30, 2013, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

Did you program it?

No, the credits are at the end of the Q & A section.

Note the answer to the question about expectations for a Jackpot hit.  Smile   They also have simulations for the UK and EU big games too.

Do you play the Powerplay?

SergeM's avatar - alas
        Economy class
        Belgium
        Member #123705
        February 27, 2012
        2881 Posts
        Posted: January 30, 2013, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

I don't play Euromillions and I saw the simulations. It looks pretty nice.

I play the local Lotto twice a week, 1 to 6 combinations.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          9110 Posts
          Posted: January 31, 2013, 1:06 am - IP Logged

Good find jimmy4164. Aloing with the Powerplay info this should be drilled into every player's mind, 2 tickets per week:

How often, on average, you can expect to win each prize when playing the real lottery.
          Win Frequency Calculator
          MatchOddsAverage Win Frequency
          PowerballPB1 in 55Once every 28 weeks
          1 + powerball1+11 in 111Once every 1 year and 4 weeks
          2 + powerball2+11 in 706Once every 6 years and 41 weeks
          331 in 360Once every 3 years and 24 weeks
          3 + powerball3+11 in 12,245Once every 117 years
          441 in 19,088Once every 183 years
          4 + powerball4+11 in 648,976Once every 6,240 years
          551 in 5,153,633Once every 49,554 years
          5 + powerball5+11 in 175,223,510Once every 1,684,841 years

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

State of Mind
            United States
            Member #93949
            July 10, 2010
            2175 Posts
            Posted: January 31, 2013, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

Good find jimmy4164. Aloing with the Powerplay info this should be drilled into every player's mind, 2 tickets per week:

How often, on average, you can expect to win each prize when playing the real lottery.
            Win Frequency Calculator
            MatchOddsAverage Win Frequency
            PowerballPB1 in 55Once every 28 weeks
            1 + powerball1+11 in 111Once every 1 year and 4 weeks
            2 + powerball2+11 in 706Once every 6 years and 41 weeks
            331 in 360Once every 3 years and 24 weeks
            3 + powerball3+11 in 12,245Once every 117 years
            441 in 19,088Once every 183 years
            4 + powerball4+11 in 648,976Once every 6,240 years
            551 in 5,153,633Once every 49,554 years
            5 + powerball5+11 in 175,223,510Once every 1,684,841 years

Coin Toss,

Incredible!  Isn't it? Smile

I got lucky last night after only letting it run a couple of hours and hit a 5+0.  Set to Powerplay, the $2M hit still only pushed the ROI to about $0.90.  Without the Powerplay, it was significantly less.  Which brings me to my reason for this thread:

Obviousely, if you hit a 5+0 or 5+1 within your lifetime you're going to be ahead of the game, but is the higher ROI with Powerplay (without a Jackpot) worth the tradeoff of having less chances at the big ones?  I'm thinking it's a personal decision based on your beliefs.  If you really believe you can engineer a big hit, you'll probably opt out of the Powerplay, otherwise, you'll opt in to take advatage of the [approx] 60% increase in ROI for all hits of 4+1 and below.

What do you think?

--Jimmy4164

Cupcake10's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg

United States
              Member #91720
              May 23, 2010
              666 Posts
              Posted: January 31, 2013, 10:00 pm - IP Logged

I think it's bull. The odds are really against you. I think it would be better if more people won a million than half a billion.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                Mcminnville, Oregon
                United States
                Member #3013
                December 13, 2003
                2399 Posts
                Posted: January 31, 2013, 11:24 pm - IP Logged

I powerplay my tickets so I would like to hit the $2 million prize this year please!-weshar75

US Flag

State of Mind
                  United States
                  Member #93949
                  July 10, 2010
                  2175 Posts
                  Posted: February 1, 2013, 1:22 am - IP Logged

I think it's bull. The odds are really against you. I think it would be better if more people won a million than half a billion.

I think so too, but I guess their research indicates they sell more tickets with the giant pots.  Every time I decide to play my state's 5/43 Lotto only, the PB or MM goes out the roof, and I give in, and buy in! Smile

State of Mind
                    United States
                    Member #93949
                    July 10, 2010
                    2175 Posts
                    Posted: February 1, 2013, 1:24 am - IP Logged

I powerplay my tickets so I would like to hit the $2 million prize this year please!-weshar75

US Flag

Me too!

Great Bend, KS
                      United States
                      Member #138653
                      February 2, 2013
                      1 Posts
                      Posted: February 4, 2013, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

Hi jimmy,

i'm new to the forum and am actually looking for a wheel that allows for the difference in the number pools,

that is KS Cash has two pools, the set of five numbers is drawn from a pool of 32 numbers, the Cash Ball is

drawn from a pool of 25 numbers, however the Dimitrov system of 11 numbers (which produces five games)

does not take in consideration the two different pools...

Jimmy as to your mention of he powerplay, it does make sense to spend the extra dollar because if you do

get the first five numbers but not the powerball, you double you winnings...

thanx

kenn (wordsmith)

State of Mind
                        United States
                        Member #93949
                        July 10, 2010
                        2175 Posts
                        Posted: February 5, 2013, 12:47 am - IP Logged

Hi jimmy,

i'm new to the forum and am actually looking for a wheel that allows for the difference in the number pools,

that is KS Cash has two pools, the set of five numbers is drawn from a pool of 32 numbers, the Cash Ball is

drawn from a pool of 25 numbers, however the Dimitrov system of 11 numbers (which produces five games)

does not take in consideration the two different pools...

Jimmy as to your mention of he powerplay, it does make sense to spend the extra dollar because if you do

get the first five numbers but not the powerball, you double you winnings...

thanx

kenn (wordsmith)

kenn,

This site provides wheels which you can navigate to from the Home page left panel, "Lottery Wheels."  Not sure if it has what you're looking for, but check it out.

http://www.Random.org definitely lets you generate Random sets for the KS Cash game.  It's what I would use to play it if I didn't like the KS RNG.  Smile

On the Powerplay, I think the 4X incentive for a 4+1 hit is even more reason to use it.

--Jimmy4164

bgonçalves
                          Brasil
                          Member #92566
                          June 9, 2010
                          1503 Posts
                          Posted: February 7, 2013, 8:10 am - IP Logged
                          Random sampling
                          Referring to a simple Lottery "1 of 5". Suppose the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, dropped to 20 circulations with frequencies of 2, 2, 4, 8, 4. To create a table that presents the data in a usable form.
                          _ N _ _ F _ _ RF _ _ _ CRF
                          1 2 0.10 0.10
                          2 2 0.10 0.20
                          3 0.20 0.40 4
                          0.80 0.40 8 4
                          4 5 1.00 0.20
                          How can you choose the numbers to select the number of probability is directly proportional to its frequency of occurrence in history (or, equivalent, is equal to its relative frequency)? A very simple way would be to take your tiles set of 10 ornaments China, with pen on one of them to call a number one, the other two, two, three, four, and two 5:0 pm 4. Then put them in a jar, shake well, and blindly remove nodules. Probability, which would you choose 4 number dominoes is 0.40, the probability that you select a number of dominoes is 0.10, and so on. All nodes of the fingers of choice (the next election the junta extracted must be returned to the Bank, and that the unrest) is random with probability of the frequency selected on the number fell in previous editions. This-the random selection, but weighted random (probability-weight), with "hot" items weighing more than the weight of "cold" numbers. Otherwise you could do the same random sample, using uniform random numbers, and the following distribution function. Our distribution function:
                          _N_ _CRF_
                          1 0.10
                          2 0.20
                          3 0.40
                          4 0.80
                          5 1.00
                          Use RAND () to select one of two-digit uniform random number. Assume that this is-the number 0.34. Look at the column of CRF. The number fell between 0.34 and 0.40 0.20, choose the number 3 (You randomly selects 3 in distributors). Use RAND () to select another random number. Suppose that this time you have 0.69. From 0.69-between 0.40 and 0.80, select the number 4. And so on. What is happening here? It is very simple. Since the RAND () produces a uniform random number, then the probability that the number of falls-equal to 0.20 -0.40 0.20 (less 0.20 0.40), then there is the relative frequency of fall-3 emission (see the table at the top of this page.) Thus, the choice to interpret 0.34, a number between 0.20 and 0.40, which is similar to a random selection of numbers 3. Likewise, our random number is between 0.40 and 0.80 0.69, is interpreted as a randomly selected number 4:. The relative frequency corresponding to 4, 0.40, is the same as the probability that we could choose a uniform random number between 0.40 and 0.80 This random selection process can be automated (no conscience), using the following simple rules. Rule. Use RAND () to select a random number ravnomernoraspredelennoe, call it r. If R falls between two values of a column, the FRC, choice of column N is a number that corresponds to the higher of the two values of which obtained r. If R is not equal to one of the values in the column, column choice no CRF corresponding number. Illustration with the rule. If R = 0.53, picked 4 because 0.53-lies between 0.40 and 0.80, and 4 correspond to 0.80. If R = 0.31, choose 3 because it is between 0.20 0.31 and 0.40, and 3 corresponds to 0.40. If R = 0.20, choose 2. If R = 0.80, select 4. Lottery conducted by the Government as Lotto Texas use mechanisms of mixing and playing balls, trying to ensure that they totally random occurrence. By "completely random" I mean simply that each ball in a game full of balls, can be selected with equal probability in any quantity. This is a sample function of a uniform distribution. If, in fact, the machine reaches the perfect objective randomization, the RAND function (50) to the Texas Lotto or RAND (40) for the Plus Lotto-how a good a way as any to select the numbers for your tickets.
                            savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                            adelaide sa
                            Australia
                            Member #37136
                            April 11, 2006
                            2792 Posts
                            Posted: February 7, 2013, 10:21 am - IP Logged

im not sure the return on $ is accurate. when you toggle between  power play and not, it doubles the return on dollars. where as it should be based on  actual results.

2014 winnings

JAN -$48.50;  FEB  -$77.5; MAR -$18.05;  APR -$96.05 MAY -$61.10; JUN $-85; JUL $-88.9;AUG -$144.10

yearly grand totalspent = 938.05won= 318.8-$619.25

SergeM's avatar - alas
                              Economy class
                              Belgium
                              Member #123705
                              February 27, 2012
                              2881 Posts
                              Posted: February 7, 2013, 11:05 am - IP Logged

There is no good random generated by computers following articles on Internet. If true would be the random from random.org, then I would want to play big cash money against it. Maybe there are a few patents that generate better random results, but then again, what is random? It surely doesn't have to follow any mathematical rule. That is what it is.