Welcome Guest
The time is now 11:41 am
You last visited October 31, 2014, 11:23 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mapping Scratch Ticket Winners

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 2 years ago by dallascowboyfan.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
Los Angeles, California
United States
Member #103816
January 5, 2011
1530 Posts
Posted: February 23, 2013, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

Below is an interactive map of Scratch Ticket Winners during 2012 for California, showing all retailers with top prizes 5 figures and higher. (there's too much data to map it all at once) This represents about 1/20th of all retailers in the state, the lucky few stores with any significant top prizes in a given year.

Following that is a map just of Los Angeles area, showing stores that have any prizes above $600 for the year 2012. Overall, only about half the retailers will see any large prizes above $600 in a year, with most having just one or two. That is the reality of your chances of getting a decent sized scratch winner at a store in any given year.

CA Top Prizes 2012:  http://batchgeo.com/map/10176ff6a158d48b16d6c9fdf5ce6be8

CALotteryScratchWinners2012TopPrizes

Los Angeles 2012:  http://batchgeo.com/map/79f7d0149b571672334b2ddee298ad43

CALotteryScratchWinners2012LA

Didn't find anything fishy like last year, where that one store in San Jose FAMILY WASH & DRY had 3 top prizes of $2,000,000 for Set for Life game. This year that store only had 4 prizes for less than $4000 total. Guess that $6,000,000 family retired and moved away.

And in Los Angeles the store with top number of prizes was once again LUONG HAO DRINKING WATER in Lincoln Heights, a place that apparently sells ... water ... and where old asian men go to play scratchers all day long. Last year it beat SS MART in East Hollywood by a wide margin, but this year it only beat it by 1 prize with a total of 24 prizes claimed there.

If anyone else has Scratch Maps for other states, would be very curious to see and compare.

Romancandle's avatar - moon
    IL
    United States
    Member #136311
    December 8, 2012
    237 Posts
    Posted: February 24, 2013, 11:16 am - IP Logged

Wow... awesome data set... pretty cool!

Nothing like that available for IL that I'm aware of?

-RC

LA CA
      United States
      Member #118695
      November 6, 2011
      404 Posts
      Posted: February 25, 2013, 12:13 am - IP Logged

Jon

Awesome chart ! I am wondering what did you consider as LA area? I live in Stevenson Ranch (91381). Can you map out the winning stores in my neck of the woods?

Thanks

Los Angeles, California
        United States
        Member #103816
        January 5, 2011
        1530 Posts
        Posted: February 25, 2013, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

Jon

Awesome chart ! I am wondering what did you consider as LA area? I live in Stevenson Ranch (91381). Can you map out the winning stores in my neck of the woods?

Thanks

It wasn't anything sophisticated like an area select, just the stores with "Los Angeles" in the city name. So that's just the city of Los Angeles itself, and most of the 900xx zip codes.

I didn't see anything in Stevenson Ranch, but there was a small amount in adjacent Santa Clarita. So I just mapped all the 913xx zip codes, which runs from Magic Mountain, down through western portion of the San Fernando Valley and out to Thousand Oaks:

http://batchgeo.com/map/76069523a49599cbbcbe372e5fea3867

RedStang's avatar - threefin zpsd48411ab.jpg
          Dutchess NY
          United States
          Member #121966
          January 21, 2012
          2688 Posts
          Posted: February 27, 2013, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

NY & CT has a winners atlas also. Hard to believe all those winners being sold.

Los Angeles, California
            United States
            Member #103816
            January 5, 2011
            1530 Posts
            Posted: March 1, 2013, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

NY & CT has a winners atlas also. Hard to believe all those winners being sold.

I didn't see one for CT, but yeah, the NY map of winners is there. Are they the only state that has this Winners Atlas? They are always on the forefront, so I wouldn't be surprised.

It didn't seem like it wanted to display multiple wins per store, and not showing multiple games when you select long periods of time. But hey, at least they took the leap of providing a ongoing updated map of all winners. Most other states, if they even show scratch winners at all, it is just a list, or a few select showcased winners with their picture with the huge check for promotional purposes.

California
              United States
              Member #106749
              February 23, 2011
              13 Posts
              Posted: March 21, 2013, 12:22 am - IP Logged

Cool website! Thanks for the info!

San Diego
                United States
                Member #132750
                September 11, 2012
                32 Posts
                Posted: March 21, 2013, 1:30 am - IP Logged

can you add san bernadino county and Orange county? and all the other cities within la county? they are all drivable.

Los Angeles, California
                  United States
                  Member #103816
                  January 5, 2011
                  1530 Posts
                  Posted: March 21, 2013, 10:28 am - IP Logged

can you add san bernadino county and Orange county? and all the other cities within la county? they are all drivable.

I can't really make any more Batchgeo maps. Google severely limited the free geocoding API just recently, so anything over 200 rows/points is not going to fly.

But I did make another mapping option a while ago, a KMZ file you can view directly at its location on GDrive, or you can download and view in Google Earth. You don't get the clustering feature and thematic like the Batchgeo maps, but at least you can see all retailers in CA with >$600 prizes for 2012 all at once. This represents about half of the state's lottery retailers. This map only has 3 colors for store prize totals: Magenta - $100,000 and above, Orange - $10,000-$99,999, Yellow - $600-$9999

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B57A64SoSHhgNGwzNmdLYlA5WW8/edit?usp=sharing

CALotteryScratchWinners2012All

The Batchgeo free geocoding service was previously limited to 2500 rows. But as of 3/19/13, Google has severely limited use of 3rd party sites using their free geocoding API to anything above 200 rows. You would have to pay for the Pro version to get around this limit.

The KMZ file I created was made using a different geocoder, Yahoo, which is slightly less accurate than Google geocoder. You still get the general location right, just not quite as precise on the street number location and the points are not parcel centered.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                    Oklahoma
                    United States
                    Member #82391
                    November 12, 2009
                    5426 Posts
                    Posted: March 22, 2013, 3:08 am - IP Logged

Good job Jon DThumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908