Welcome Guest
The time is now 10:35 am
You last visited October 1, 2014, 10:33 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why can't I win much on scratch tickets?

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 2 years ago by maringoman.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122473
February 1, 2012
414 Posts
Posted: March 11, 2013, 9:55 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I've been playing scratch tickets for almost 3 years now and there have only been a few times that I won 100 dollars on a scratch ticket and once won 200 dollars. The majority of the time I win nothing or just the face value of the ticket. I realize the majority of the people never win much on scratchers but when I look at my states lottery web site and see the number of winners per game that they have for some decent money it suprises me that I still never win any decent amounts. I get the fact that the lottery is random and with scratch tickets they probably only have a certain amount of winners in a book of tickets. Even when I got all the prizes on a 2 dollar ticket for example the prize was still lousy.  When I play I'd be happy to win any decent amount but it gets so frustrating winning nothing or just face value of the ticket. The last 6 months I've cut down on my spending of tickets but can't seem to go cold turkey and still play. I still tend to buy some tickets and wait a week or so to scratch them just to hold onto that dream of winning something. I'm not expecting to win a million (though would be amazing) I'd be happy with any decent amount, heck 500 dollars would be great. Couldn't the lottery be a little more generous with their prizes so people would not always feel like a sucker when they play. Okay I get that noone is making me buy tickets that's my doing but still feel like it's always a losing proposition.  I'm not able to stop playing because I continue to hold onto my dream of someday winning but just wish I could win something every now and then that was decent.

United States
    Member #111446
    May 25, 2011
    6323 Posts
    Posted: March 11, 2013, 11:24 am - IP Logged

Your probably jinxed, have bad Karma, low expectations, negative thinking or just have a plain lottery curse on you.   Thinking of...

My advice would be to consult with a witch doctor, clairvoyant or voodoo priest, to remove this black cloud over your head once and for all.

If that doesn't work, I would suggest holding up a bank or jewelry store instead.  Thumbs Up

United States
      Member #122473
      February 1, 2012
      414 Posts
      Posted: March 11, 2013, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

Your probably jinxed, have bad Karma, low expectations, negative thinking or just have a plain lottery curse on you.   Thinking of...

My advice would be to consult with a witch doctor, clairvoyant or voodoo priest, to remove this black cloud over your head once and for all.

If that doesn't work, I would suggest holding up a bank or jewelry store instead.  Thumbs Up

Hi mcginnin56,

Had a good laugh with your reply.  Unfortunately no witch doctor, clairvoyant or voodoo priest near me.

United States
        Member #116272
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: March 11, 2013, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

Hi mcginnin56,

Had a good laugh with your reply.  Unfortunately no witch doctor, clairvoyant or voodoo priest near me.

If you had an I phone you could ask Siri and she would tell you the nearest voodoo witch doctor.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
          Oklahoma
          United States
          Member #82391
          November 12, 2009
          5351 Posts
          Posted: March 11, 2013, 12:31 pm - IP Logged

Scratch tickets are "the devil" in my (Helen Mama Boucher voice)Wink.  shy, you would propbably get a better response on the Instant Scratch off Game forum  http://www.lotterypost.com/forum/8.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Oklahoma
            United States
            Member #82391
            November 12, 2009
            5351 Posts
            Posted: March 11, 2013, 12:36 pm - IP Logged

If you had an I phone you could ask Siri and she would tell you the nearest voodoo witch doctor.

LOL. I asked Siri, she said "I don't understand nearest voodo witch doctor but I could search the web for it.Green laugh

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
              Member #116272
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: March 11, 2013, 12:37 pm - IP Logged

Scratch tickets are "the devil" in my (Helen Mama Boucher voice)Wink.  shy, you would propbably get a better response on the Instant Scratch off Game forum  http://www.lotterypost.com/forum/8.

I think shy wants to engage in "general discussion" concerning the remedy for losing as in "I lost my money"

United States
                Member #116272
                September 7, 2011
                20244 Posts
                Posted: March 11, 2013, 12:37 pm - IP Logged

What?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  17903 Posts
                  Posted: March 11, 2013, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I've been playing scratch tickets for almost 3 years now and there have only been a few times that I won 100 dollars on a scratch ticket and once won 200 dollars. The majority of the time I win nothing or just the face value of the ticket. I realize the majority of the people never win much on scratchers but when I look at my states lottery web site and see the number of winners per game that they have for some decent money it suprises me that I still never win any decent amounts. I get the fact that the lottery is random and with scratch tickets they probably only have a certain amount of winners in a book of tickets. Even when I got all the prizes on a 2 dollar ticket for example the prize was still lousy.  When I play I'd be happy to win any decent amount but it gets so frustrating winning nothing or just face value of the ticket. The last 6 months I've cut down on my spending of tickets but can't seem to go cold turkey and still play. I still tend to buy some tickets and wait a week or so to scratch them just to hold onto that dream of winning something. I'm not expecting to win a million (though would be amazing) I'd be happy with any decent amount, heck 500 dollars would be great. Couldn't the lottery be a little more generous with their prizes so people would not always feel like a sucker when they play. Okay I get that noone is making me buy tickets that's my doing but still feel like it's always a losing proposition.  I'm not able to stop playing because I continue to hold onto my dream of someday winning but just wish I could win something every now and then that was decent.

If you are still playing then obviously you are satisfied with results.

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
                  * your best chance at winning a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
                       Wink 

Oklahoma
                    United States
                    Member #82391
                    November 12, 2009
                    5351 Posts
                    Posted: March 11, 2013, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

I think shy wants to engage in "general discussion" concerning the remedy for losing as in "I lost my money"

Oh......What? there's a thread for that in Instant Scratch of game Forum here's a thread

Do you win more than you spend http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/257535

I Love Pink & Green 1908

CHERRY HILL, NJ
                      United States
                      Member #130218
                      July 9, 2012
                      385 Posts
                      Posted: March 11, 2013, 3:27 pm - IP Logged

If you are still playing then obviously you are satisfied with results.

I just spoke with the guy who won $20k on a $2 scratch-off and who quit cold-turkey after blowing almost all of his prize. I asked him before how he did it and he said then that its simple tunnel vision he uses. Today he clarified further that its all about "Choice". He just decided what he was doing just didn't do it for him anymore. So he quit.

Soon I hope I can just make that choice myself. But until then, let me share what I have learned about scratch-offs thru the years.

1. The big winners I know of came at the tail-end or front of the lot. I guess it makes for good press for the winner to say the retailer begged him to get the last ticket. Ticket serial #1 having the big prize is a perfect match. In one retailer I know, a regular already has a lock on this 2 spots.

2. There is something to be said about the conspiracy on unclaimed prizes. Why would you sell a $million ticket on the airport as it happened in NY ? My guess was the State was betting the buyer would take it with him and forget about it. So if you are chasing for the big prize, think of this theory. Where can they hide that big prize ? Liquor stores, newspaper (adult) stores. Just think of the sunshine policy and go against it.

3. Buy more than 1. Just like in a coin toss, streaks happen. A series of tickets can easily be a full set of winners, 1 winner to cover your costs or all losers.

addai1516's avatar - bee
                        Newyork City NY / westland michigan
                        United States
                        Member #93155
                        June 23, 2010
                        3384 Posts
                        Posted: March 12, 2013, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Check online to see what prizes are available firs b 4 u buy it .. i dont like scratch offs at all .. good luck ..

maringoman's avatar - kobold
                          Massachusetts
                          United States
                          Member #37433
                          April 14, 2006
                          2046 Posts
                          Posted: March 12, 2013, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

To paraphrase Karl Marx, scratch tickets are the opium of the masses. You are at the store and seeing all thOse dazzling colours and the promise to win $50,000 on a $2 scratchoff and you're thinking of all the nice places you want to bring Stephanie and before you know it, boom! lunch money gone lol. I stay away from those things!

It's a futile effort.

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
                            Columbus, Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #128911
                            June 5, 2012
                            434 Posts
                            Posted: March 12, 2013, 10:13 pm - IP Logged

Never been a fan of scratchers

Romancandle's avatar - moon
                              IL
                              United States
                              Member #136311
                              December 8, 2012
                              230 Posts
                              Posted: March 12, 2013, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I've lost much more than I've put in and that's exactly the way the lottery wants it... it's a business... and a shady one in some states, and they're in it to make a ton of cash and scratchers are their sacred cash cow.

More generous- HA!  If anything, they're working overtime to find more creative ways for us to part with our hard earned cash.

But don't let them get you down and don't let them steal all of your money!

-RC