Welcome Guest
The time is now 8:34 am
You last visited October 22, 2014, 8:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How Long Will You Wait to Collect the Jackpot

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 1 year ago by whiteballz.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Chicago
United States
Member #90133
April 22, 2010
26 Posts
Posted: May 18, 2013, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

If/When you win tonight's PB drawing, how long will you wait to publicly identify yourself and collect the money?

joshuacloak's avatar - avatar 23415.gif

United States
    Member #32537
    February 12, 2006
    640 Posts
    Posted: May 18, 2013, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

however fast my lawyers can setup the trust/paperwork to hide me

u should collect with in 2 weeks thro

both powerball/mm  takes just about 2 weeks to get all money into account

what happens is if only 1 winner,  the state that has winner  has all other states collect the money into 1 account they each setup

then send the money to a account winner lottery has setup,

it takes about week and few days for this to happen before its all in 1 account  controled by state lottery u go 2 claim

then if u pick cash, they wire it or they send it usa govt for special t bill investments they can buy and wire a small amount 2 right away  u for first year

ether way, they lottery has said in past and past winners have said, soonest is just around 2 weeks

so u have 2 weeks to wait in normal fashion , where u WONT be losing money u can wait that long

,  2 weeks is all u need folks to get a lawyer and get ever thing setup , no need to rush in asap , get legal stuff covered by lawyer, ask him to hide u at all cost.  pick a largelaw firm with good reviews online etc

and let them handle it for u, it should not take more then 2 weeks

thro if didn't need money asap , and win record jackpot

u could just troll the media,and wait a few months, as they all go media crazy, who the winner, why has no one claimed this amount

let some idiots talk 2 media, going i had winning ticket, but my dog eatan it,or i lost it

the amount of crazy folks claiming 2 have won ,seem to be related to size of jackpot

epic trollin that would be, let everyone else drive them self's crazy

get some popcorn and chill knowing u have winner in safe bank box LOL

sup

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      17937 Posts
      Posted: May 18, 2013, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

Depends on whether I'm the only winner or one of a few.  In Ohio we have six months to make a claim.

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
      * your best chance at winning a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
           Wink 

Hallfamily8's avatar - tails
        MD
        United States
        Member #139484
        February 24, 2013
        21 Posts
        Posted: May 18, 2013, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

I'm in Florida so I don't think there's any way around it. Feel free to correct me lpers if I'm wrong.
        So after hiring good counsel  I'd wait the 2 or 3 weeks it will take them to gather up my money, then go collect. Honestly a few pictures with that big check and I'm goneeee. I wouldn't do any interviews or worse ...shows after that.

Sure.. There's Always a chance..Wink
        Give unto Cesar what is Cesars and give unto God what is Gods

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
          Florida
          United States
          Member #61435
          May 22, 2008
          776 Posts
          Posted: May 18, 2013, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

I'm in Florida so I don't think there's any way around it. Feel free to correct me lpers if I'm wrong.
          So after hiring good counsel  I'd wait the 2 or 3 weeks it will take them to gather up my money, then go collect. Honestly a few pictures with that big check and I'm goneeee. I wouldn't do any interviews or worse ...shows after that.

In FL only name and city required to be publicized.  NO PHOTO or press conference requirement!

United States
            Member #124819
            March 20, 2012
            212 Posts
            Posted: May 18, 2013, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

If I'm in a state that publishes your name, then I'd wait however long it took me to get a name change. 2 weeks minimum, though. When I go turn it in, I want the money then and there.

Toronto
              Canada
              Member #138402
              January 26, 2013
              179 Posts
              Posted: May 18, 2013, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

If I'm in a state that publishes your name, then I'd wait however long it took me to get a name change. 2 weeks minimum, though. When I go turn it in, I want the money then and there.

You guys have to realize, that after a certain amount of time, 90 days or something, you're no longer allowed to choose the cash option.

And a name change takes that long.

CowboysFan's avatar - Cowboys
                Sunny California
                United States
                Member #63790
                August 8, 2008
                220 Posts
                Posted: May 18, 2013, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

I would wait about a month.  Here in California unfortunately they have to release the winners name. I have kept a copy of an article from the Ca Lottery website about 3 years ago where the people who won the Super Lotto Plus were able to remain anonymous and didn't have to release their names.  It's not like it just changed recently where Ca winners names have to be released.  For people who know more about this than I do,  how were they able to remain anonymous? I kept the article so I win I can show them the article and say I want to remain anonymous as well.

2010 2nd Quarter Press Releases: Article
                Bay Area Sisters Claim $20 Million SuperLotto Plus� Jackpot

SACRAMENTO � Nearly three and a half months after their ticket matched all six numbers in the SuperLotto Plus draw, two sisters emerged this afternoon to claim their $20 million prize.
                The sisters, who asked to remain anonymous, purchased their SuperLotto Plus tickets in San Jose for the February 6 draw, but didn't discover that they were the big winners until several weeks later. In fact, it could have been even longer had it not been for their dad, who ultimately checked the numbers and discovered that his daughters were millionaires. When he called his daughters on the phone with the good news, their reaction was brief � "is there a catch?" they said.
                At the time, the pair was preparing for a trip out of the country and therefore postponed their trip to the Lottery's East Bay District Office until just this afternoon. "It just didn't feel real at the time," they said. "Maybe when we can spend the money it will feel more real."
                The duo purchased their winning ticket at the 7-Eleven located at 1335 South Bascom Avenue. The winning numbers were 19, 29, 36, 37, 41, and the Mega number was 20. The pair said that while they were kicking around a number of options regarding how they'd like to spend their new windfall, no plans would be finalized until they received their prize.
                The California Lottery would like to remind winners to sign the back of their ticket, keep their tickets in a safe place and contact Lottery officials or visit their local Lottery District Office as soon as possible. Winners have 180 days from the date of the draw to claim prizes.
                The California Lottery is celebrating 25 years of enhancing education and supporting local communities. The Lottery contributes at least 87 cents of every dollar that players spend on Lottery products to public education and prizes. Since the Lottery's inception in 1985, Lottery players have contributed nearly $22 billion to California schools out of total sales of more than $59 billion. Retailers benefit too, earning $3.8 billion in compensation since 1985.

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
                  Wannabe Won Percenter
                  Republic of Texas
                  United States
                  Member #57557
                  January 9, 2008
                  997 Posts
                  Posted: May 18, 2013, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

You guys have to realize, that after a certain amount of time, 90 days or something, you're no longer allowed to choose the cash option.

And a name change takes that long.

In Texas, you choose cash or annuity at time of purchase. They also have limited publicity, which I am not 100% on details, but the lottery publishes a lot of trust names claiming jackpots and no publicity photo. I read that it takes 4 days to wire funds to your account after the lottery folks have collected from the other states. However long your receiving entity 'holds' to clear funds, though could be worked out ahead of time.

However long it takes to set up the legal stuff, blind trusts, whatever, then get set up with a high quality wealth management firm is how long it will take me to claim. I'm not in any hurry, so I'll be one of the slow ones. I can arrange the CPA firm later.

I've always wondered though, if you could go through the claim process, but have the lottery wait until  you have been funded before going public that the claim has been made. That way, you  have the funds confirmed in your account and your get away planned. I'd consent to a Q&A with the press, no pictures or last name thankyouverymuch, if the lottery would do that much. Well maybe my lawyer can stand in for the official photo. LOL. 

Of course this is all assuming a BIG jackpot. Some wealth management firms won't take you wtihout a minimum to invest. Smaller jackpots, under $10m after tax, are another story.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

United States
                    Member #130820
                    July 25, 2012
                    1636 Posts
                    Posted: May 18, 2013, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

If/When you win tonight's PB drawing, how long will you wait to publicly identify yourself and collect the money?

As soon as my brother and two sisters can get together and get to Raleigh...LOL My brother will have to come all the way from Tracy Ca, so we'd just pretty much be waiting on him

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
                      Nutley, New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #131063
                      August 1, 2012
                      789 Posts
                      Posted: May 18, 2013, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

I would wait about a month.  Here in California unfortunately they have to release the winners name. I have kept a copy of an article from the Ca Lottery website about 3 years ago where the people who won the Super Lotto Plus were able to remain anonymous and didn't have to release their names.  It's not like it just changed recently where Ca winners names have to be released.  For people who know more about this than I do,  how were they able to remain anonymous? I kept the article so I win I can show them the article and say I want to remain anonymous as well.

2010 2nd Quarter Press Releases: Article
                      Bay Area Sisters Claim $20 Million SuperLotto Plus� Jackpot

SACRAMENTO � Nearly three and a half months after their ticket matched all six numbers in the SuperLotto Plus draw, two sisters emerged this afternoon to claim their $20 million prize.
                      The sisters, who asked to remain anonymous, purchased their SuperLotto Plus tickets in San Jose for the February 6 draw, but didn't discover that they were the big winners until several weeks later. In fact, it could have been even longer had it not been for their dad, who ultimately checked the numbers and discovered that his daughters were millionaires. When he called his daughters on the phone with the good news, their reaction was brief � "is there a catch?" they said.
                      At the time, the pair was preparing for a trip out of the country and therefore postponed their trip to the Lottery's East Bay District Office until just this afternoon. "It just didn't feel real at the time," they said. "Maybe when we can spend the money it will feel more real."
                      The duo purchased their winning ticket at the 7-Eleven located at 1335 South Bascom Avenue. The winning numbers were 19, 29, 36, 37, 41, and the Mega number was 20. The pair said that while they were kicking around a number of options regarding how they'd like to spend their new windfall, no plans would be finalized until they received their prize.
                      The California Lottery would like to remind winners to sign the back of their ticket, keep their tickets in a safe place and contact Lottery officials or visit their local Lottery District Office as soon as possible. Winners have 180 days from the date of the draw to claim prizes.
                      The California Lottery is celebrating 25 years of enhancing education and supporting local communities. The Lottery contributes at least 87 cents of every dollar that players spend on Lottery products to public education and prizes. Since the Lottery's inception in 1985, Lottery players have contributed nearly $22 billion to California schools out of total sales of more than $59 billion. Retailers benefit too, earning $3.8 billion in compensation since 1985.

I have seen a few anonymous winners for the California SuperLotto Plus.

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/173483

http://www.sgvtribune.com/ci_10996500

I have never seen an anonymous winner for Mega Millions. Here is a list of winners for MM. There are a few enteries where the winner is anonymous but none of them are from California.

http://www.megamillions.com/winners/jackpothistory.asp

There is also a CA winners handbook here: http://www.calottery.com/win/winners-handbook

On the first page it says,

"According to public disclosure laws, your name is public record. The name and location of the retailer who sold the winning ticket, the date you won, whether your numbers were a Quick Pick® or your own numbers and the amount of your winnings are also matters of public record and are subject to disclosure."

"You can form a trust prior to claiming your prize, but understand that your name is still public and reportable."

I don't know for sure, but maybe the laws on being anonymous are different when you are playing a multi-state lottery game. If anyone has more information be sure to chime in.