Welcome Guest
The time is now 7:06 am
You last visited August 28, 2014, 7:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Odds of winning.

Topic closed. 70 replies. Last post 11 months ago by psykomo.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
kelowna bc
Canada
Member #145774
August 14, 2013
4 Posts
Posted: August 14, 2013, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

There can never be a true predictor of lottery numbers drawn. Each draw is an absolute event , reliant on no other influences from the past .

The only way to improve your odds of winning , is to buy more tickets and no, buying two tickets does not halve the odds of winning. The only other way to improve your chances of winning is to wheel sets of numbers , but even that does not change the odds against any of your six number combos being drawn.

In fact, a quick pick has exactly the same odds of being drawn  as a so called  "system' generated ticket.

I play the horses on a semi pro basis and it never ceases to amaze me how many people fork over hard earned cash for a system that picks winners. ( same with the lottery.).

Think about it, if you had the winning lottery system  would you sell it to other punters ?. of course not, .

Bottom line, no matter how many tickets you buy the odds change very little against your number being drawn.

United States
    Member #116272
    September 7, 2011
    20244 Posts
    Posted: August 14, 2013, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

There can never be a true predictor of lottery numbers drawn. Each draw is an absolute event , reliant on no other influences from the past .

The only way to improve your odds of winning , is to buy more tickets and no, buying two tickets does not halve the odds of winning. The only other way to improve your chances of winning is to wheel sets of numbers , but even that does not change the odds against any of your six number combos being drawn.

In fact, a quick pick has exactly the same odds of being drawn  as a so called  "system' generated ticket.

I play the horses on a semi pro basis and it never ceases to amaze me how many people fork over hard earned cash for a system that picks winners. ( same with the lottery.).

Think about it, if you had the winning lottery system  would you sell it to other punters ?. of course not, .

Bottom line, no matter how many tickets you buy the odds change very little against your number being drawn.

Ok, so "a" QP has the same odds as "a"system ticket. But what about a group of system tickets over a group of QPs??? Im talking about getting BETTER ODDS playing 28 numbers in a 5/56 game which is 98,820 lines.

kelowna bc
      Canada
      Member #145774
      August 14, 2013
      4 Posts
      Posted: August 14, 2013, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

Not sure what you mean by "better odds. if you mean better number of chances then you are correct , but only because you played a large number of tickets . However your odds of winning the jackpot on any of the sets of numbers generated remains the same be it  98,820 QPs or the system  set.

A qp has the same odds of being drawn as any of the sets on a wheel.

I'm rusty on factorials but I believe there is 1 in 3,819,816  of getting 5 numbers correct in 56 and those odds of having a set drawn change vary slightly for each ticket you buy, whether it is QP or system set.

Obviously if you bought all 3,819,816 combinations you are guaranteed to have a set drawn. As it stands, by playing 28 numbers in your wheel there are still 3,720,996 sets of 5  against any of your sets of 5  being drawn  and in actuality still 1 in 3,819,816 for any set of 5 being drawn. The more sets you buy the closer you come to lowering the 3,819,816 figure to 1. or an absolute certainty of having one of your sets of  numbers drawn .

SergeM's avatar - alas
        Economy class
        Belgium
        Member #123705
        February 27, 2012
        2766 Posts
        Posted: August 15, 2013, 3:58 am - IP Logged

Generate a wheel with all numbers, condition 2 if 6.
        Generate as many quick pick lines.

Compare both to the history of you game.
        Sum up the costs and the payouts.

You might want to repeat this with different quick picks and different wheels, involving all numbes.
        There is a full lotto quick pick, involving all numbers, that equals a wheel.

A suggestion of what you can do.

You might also run a wheel filled by random numbers against a wheel filled by numbers of your system or choice.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          17823 Posts
          Posted: August 15, 2013, 4:54 am - IP Logged

"There can never be a true predictor of lottery numbers drawn. Each draw is an absolute event , reliant on no other influences from the past ."

You state that as if you know that to be an absolute fact.  I suspect you said that without ever having looked at past drawings of any games to see if patterns existed or repeated that would make one think other wise. 

You also look at predictions much the same way.  Predictions aren't absolute, if they were then weathermen couldn't predict the weather.  I think of predictions as calculated guesses about the outcome of an event base on conditions leading up to that event considering what has happened most often before when similar conditions existed.

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
          * your best chance to win a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
              Wink 

SergeM's avatar - alas
            Economy class
            Belgium
            Member #123705
            February 27, 2012
            2766 Posts
            Posted: August 15, 2013, 11:15 am - IP Logged

Sometimes I would bet your life on it with success that a certain number will come out for a certain drawing against all odds. Of course other people will have a zero success with this kind of betting.

Odds are calculated. What is improving odds? Odds for exactly what? Improving your game might mean buying just one ticket, the winning one and not to play the loosing ones. Odds and expectancy, you mix it up!

kelowna bc
              Canada
              Member #145774
              August 14, 2013
              4 Posts
              Posted: August 15, 2013, 11:49 am - IP Logged

"I suspect you said that without ever having looked at past drawings of any games to see if patterns existed or repeated that would make one think other wise.
              "

Past drawings have no influence on future drawings of the lottery, people who believe otherwise keep the lottery system touts in business. Similarly, a tossed coin that comes up heads 9 times in a row has an equal chance of coming up tails  on the next toss, they are all separate events.

Predicting numbers is not a science,   the only way to improve your chances of winning the jackpot is to buy more tickets. ( wheel). and even then the improvement is infinitesimal.

kelowna bc
                Canada
                Member #145774
                August 14, 2013
                4 Posts
                Posted: August 15, 2013, 11:55 am - IP Logged

Don't understand most of our post except the last statement, what I refer to as "chance' should be “expectancy”.

You improve your expectation of winning by buying more tickets , but your overall odds of one of your sets being selected remains the same. I have read some people believe buying two tickets halves the odds of winning the jackpot! Go figure. But thanks for putting me right on the correct terminology.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  17823 Posts
                  Posted: August 15, 2013, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

Don't understand most of our post except the last statement, what I refer to as "chance' should be “expectancy”.

You improve your expectation of winning by buying more tickets , but your overall odds of one of your sets being selected remains the same. I have read some people believe buying two tickets halves the odds of winning the jackpot! Go figure. But thanks for putting me right on the correct terminology.

"Go figure. But thanks........." 

I Agree! You had to go figure for yourself, what works for you may be different.

Wink 

bgonçalves
                    Brasil
                    Member #92566
                    June 9, 2010
                    1418 Posts
                    Posted: August 15, 2013, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

Hello, I agree with some of your statements, but look at these, half of the project
                      That is the wisdom of the first digit of the 56/5 is 100% (00000-55555). Attention but lack the other half
                      Using the lasts digits, ranging from 0 to 9, then half already guaranteed in any lottery,
                    Even if it is forged (manipulated) hits ever, but apart from the front of the number.
                      Well you can use these formations as pivot or Faxas.
                    After that we predict to have a hit in 20-30 draws and not a single event.

United States
                      Member #124498
                      March 14, 2012
                      7024 Posts
                      Posted: August 15, 2013, 5:02 pm - IP Logged

You play horses without a system.  Not smart.No No

I have a good system for horses.  However since they closed all the OTB, it dont help much.

This may or may not be true (hey Jimmy wanna chime in?)  I always love a good argument.Lovies (unfortunately I cant punch anybody over the internet)Boxing

The Odds may stay the same, but the probabality is always changing.

If you dont buy a ticket the odds of winning is ZERO.

If you buy a ticket the odds of winning is > than ZERO.

Why not sell a winning lottery system to somebody else?  I didn't realize there was a shortage of money in the world.Roll Eyes

I dont think punters play much lottery, most are already very rich!

However some Professional atheletes who spend exorbitant amounts of money on gambling could use a good system.Idea

SergeM's avatar - alas
                        Economy class
                        Belgium
                        Member #123705
                        February 27, 2012
                        2766 Posts
                        Posted: August 15, 2013, 5:43 pm - IP Logged

You play horses without a system.  Not smart.No No

I have a good system for horses.  However since they closed all the OTB, it dont help much.

This may or may not be true (hey Jimmy wanna chime in?)  I always love a good argument.Lovies (unfortunately I cant punch anybody over the internet)Boxing

The Odds may stay the same, but the probabality is always changing.

If you dont buy a ticket the odds of winning is ZERO.

If you buy a ticket the odds of winning is > than ZERO.

Why not sell a winning lottery system to somebody else?  I didn't realize there was a shortage of money in the world.Roll Eyes

I dont think punters play much lottery, most are already very rich!

However some Professional atheletes who spend exorbitant amounts of money on gambling could use a good system.Idea

Let met put it like a good math teacher said it.

When you buy one combination for lotto, what is your chance of winninig?

One!

onlymoney's avatar - stargate pyramid.jpg

United States
                          Member #128795
                          June 2, 2012
                          4813 Posts
                          Posted: August 15, 2013, 7:06 pm - IP Logged

"I suspect you said that without ever having looked at past drawings of any games to see if patterns existed or repeated that would make one think other wise.
                          "

Past drawings have no influence on future drawings of the lottery, people who believe otherwise keep the lottery system touts in business. Similarly, a tossed coin that comes up heads 9 times in a row has an equal chance of coming up tails  on the next toss, they are all separate events.

Predicting numbers is not a science,   the only way to improve your chances of winning the jackpot is to buy more tickets. ( wheel). and even then the improvement is infinitesimal.

Similarly, a tossed coin that comes up heads 9 times in a row has an equal chance of coming up tails  on the next toss, they are all separate events.

This is the whole point of pattern seeking that you are missing. Sure there is a 50/50 chance of the coin showing heads or tails after a nine streak of heads showing in a row, but the most important question is, what would you bet on? Heads or tails?

And why?  Wink

0.1% of people who play for a major JP will win in their lifetime. 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            17823 Posts
                            Posted: August 15, 2013, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

Every time there is a lottery drawing there is a good chance some one win but there is even a better chance it won't you. Disapprove

Wink 

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              5402 Posts
                              Posted: August 16, 2013, 12:32 am - IP Logged

"Each draw is an absolute event , reliant on no other influences from the past."

You're not the first to say it and certainly won't be the last and I won't be the first or last to say at least one of the digits in the last pick-3 drawing has a 65.7% chance of repeating. Somebody else won't be the first or last saying any three digits have a 65.7% chance. Here's your chance to be the first to tell us which three out of the other seven digits has the same chance. It doesn't matter which three you pick because even though somebody will say they have an equal chance, any three of the other seven digits has a 34.3% chance none the previously drawn numbers will repeat.

"I play the horses on a semi pro basis and it never ceases to amaze me how many people fork over hard earned cash for a system that picks winners."

Semi pro means some of your income is from horse racing which could include having a $1 a year profit. I'm assuming you mean you created your own system and believe it's far superior to any bought systems. Based on your other comments, I hope you're not saying past performance means nothing in horse racing either.