Welcome Guest
The time is now 4:44 am
You last visited October 25, 2014, 4:41 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How Far Will The Mega Millions Go Before Odds Make It Impossible For Anyone?

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 12 months ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Will Mega Millions Get a Winner Before October Deadline

Yes [ 29 ]  [72.50%]
No [ 11 ]  [27.50%]
Total Valid Votes [ 40 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  

United States
Member #78968
August 25, 2009
49 Posts
Posted: September 6, 2013, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

The odds of winning the jackpot are increased to 1 in 258.9 million; however, odds of winning any prize will decrease to 1 in 14.71. Why increased the overall odd?

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
    Happyland
    United States
    Member #146350
    September 1, 2013
    645 Posts
    Posted: September 7, 2013, 4:57 am - IP Logged

The odds of winning the jackpot are increased to 1 in 258.9 million; however, odds of winning any prize will decrease to 1 in 14.71. Why increased the overall odd?

Megaball currently comes from pool of 1 in 46; the new version comes from a pool of 1 in 15. So basically they worsened odds of top prize by adding 19 balls (56 to 75) to main pot and improved odds of lower prizes by subtracting 31 balls (46 to 15) from the bonus pot.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the payoff does.

If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2013: -35.14% (158 tickets) || 2014: +43.40% (14 tickets)

Morrison, IL
      United States
      Member #4657
      May 13, 2004
      1867 Posts
      Posted: September 8, 2013, 9:42 pm - IP Logged

If there is no Mega Millions jackpot winner before October 22, 2013, the jackpot will almost certainly be over a billion dollars!!

---

United States
        Member #78968
        August 25, 2009
        49 Posts
        Posted: September 9, 2013, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

Yeah on the 22nd of October, the odds increase to 65%

New Jersey
          United States
          Member #21206
          September 4, 2005
          917 Posts
          Posted: September 13, 2013, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

I suspect that this will have the effect of killing the game.

If it doesn't; it should.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            17943 Posts
            Posted: September 13, 2013, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

If there is no Mega Millions jackpot winner before October 22, 2013, the jackpot will almost certainly be over a billion dollars!!

With its present matrix and price, players will have a playing frenzy if the MM jackpot gets near a quarter of a billion dollars and it will be won.

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
            * your best chance at winning a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
                 Wink 

Morrison, IL
              United States
              Member #4657
              May 13, 2004
              1867 Posts
              Posted: September 14, 2013, 10:46 am - IP Logged

With its present matrix and price, players will have a playing frenzy if the MM jackpot gets near a quarter of a billion dollars and it will be won.

At the rate Mega Millions is rolling, it will have to roll into October before it will get to at least $250 million.

---

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                Oklahoma
                United States
                Member #82391
                November 12, 2009
                5412 Posts
                Posted: September 17, 2013, 3:47 am - IP Logged

I voted yes Thumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Morrison, IL
                  United States
                  Member #4657
                  May 13, 2004
                  1867 Posts
                  Posted: September 18, 2013, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

With the new matrix, draws with no match 5+0 winners will be very common, especially when the jackpot is still in guaranteed range ($10 million + $5 million * n, where n is the number of draws since the jackpot was last won).

---

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
                    Member #59354
                    March 13, 2008
                    2220 Posts
                    Posted: September 20, 2013, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

I would say that the average JP will be around 600 million, the main reason for the matrix change

is that people love to play for large jackpots.   I am excited about the changes and can't wait for the

game to start.  The overall odds of winning something is a good thing no matter how you look at it. 

Small wins also make the game more fun because no one likes to get skunked.  I also like the $1.00

ticket cost so all things considered I think the game will do well. 

New matrix odds 1 in 258,890,850

powerball odds   1 in 175,223,510

Powerball cost $2.00 for a single ticket and for $2.00 I can buy 2 mega millions tickets.

2 in 258,890,850 can be expressed as 1 in 129,445,425 so the game is a better value

than powerball.  If we consider the overall chance of winning something along with the

possibility of billion dollar jackpots I think it's going to be one of the most exciting and

fun games ever produced. 

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.

US Flag

Japan
                      Member #131610
                      August 14, 2012
                      372 Posts
                      Posted: September 22, 2013, 10:26 am - IP Logged

And if Mega Millions follows the same path it did back in March area, which I don't see why it won't since Powerball is 50 million, then it should be within the next 5-6 draws (with no JP winner) it will reach it's 650million previous record target. If no one wins JP in Powerball in 6 draws it would be around 100million. So I think MM will start climbing high....kinda slow next 3 draws...10-20 million. Next 3 draws after will be huge leaps...50-70-100million. MM was around 363mill then no jp win and it went to 656mill. People will surely say hmm powerball is (around) 100 million for 2$, but MM is around 300(or so)mill for 1$

Now....I got my brother to buy some tickets and gonna keep doing it till it gets hit and would LOVE to win it this Tuesday...but...it would be neat to see MM go at it one more time before matrix change with a cool 300-4-5-600million range jackpot. Cheers

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        17943 Posts
                        Posted: September 23, 2013, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

At the rate Mega Millions is rolling, it will have to roll into October before it will get to at least $250 million.

If it's not won before the end of the month, it will be well passed that amount.

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
                        * your best chance at winning a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
                             Wink 

Morrison, IL
                          United States
                          Member #4657
                          May 13, 2004
                          1867 Posts
                          Posted: September 24, 2013, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

If it's not won before the end of the month, it will be well passed that amount.

No, it probably will not be that high come October 1.  Friday's jackpot will rise to only $173 million from $160 million, if there is no jackpot winner tonight, and that is the final draw in September.  The jackpot may not even be at $200 million if it is not won tonight or Friday.

---

Japan
                            Member #131610
                            August 14, 2012
                            372 Posts
                            Posted: September 25, 2013, 5:11 am - IP Logged

hmmm perhaps this will be true....with the JP bing around or less than 200mill. hmm ...I hope its gonna pick up though like i said in last post. Maybe it does have to get to 200mill before it starts doing big leaps (50+million) I mean...its way more than powerball right now...and Florida is playing.... lol climb faster dangit!

Hurray!

veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
                              Member #142782
                              May 18, 2013
                              210 Posts
                              Posted: September 30, 2013, 10:36 pm - IP Logged

It's already impossible to win at odds of 175 million to 1.  The reason for a little higher odds is to break the billion dollar barrier which i suspect they will at least once a year if not twice.  RELAX OK. 

I think their is a minority of posters bashing this change for a hidden reason.  That hidden reason is envy.  They know they probably will have to watch someone celebrating at the press conference with a billion dollar check and it won't be them.  The prime example of this is rdgrnr aka "ridge runner" who will be bashing them about not giving enough of it away before they even have a chance to catch there breath but i digress.

Yea....we all dream about winning but the sure enjoyment of the game is watching the "reactions" of the player(s) who do win!  Take that away and you lose alot from the game.  Take this 399 million dollar winner from South Carolina for example.  It really took away from the game by not making them come forward publicly to claim it.  Plus it can start to stress the integrity of the game. 

Anyway opinions vary so chime in if you wish.  Good luck to all(after me of course!) 

CheersBig Grin

$1 Quick Pick > 1 Winner > 1 Billion+ > 1 Press Conference > MegaMillions #1!

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!