Welcome Guest
The time is now 10:56 pm
You last visited October 25, 2014, 10:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

We all dream about spending, but what would you invest in?

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 1 year ago by markp1950.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
Florida
United States
Member #61435
May 22, 2008
776 Posts
Posted: September 15, 2013, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

If I were so fortunate to win at this jackpot level (about 135,000,000 after taxes) my plan looks something like this:

$11,000,000 fun money for houses, cars, yacht etc

$15,000,000 cash or very liquid funds. Should generate approximately $35,000 per month in interest..

$15,000,000 physically held gold and silver (held for safety and possible appreciation)

$15,000,000 index funds (slow steady growth over a long horizon)

$79,000,000 in real estate likely a combination of Single Family Homes and Class "A" Apartment buildings. 800 Class A Apartment units should generate approximately $1,000,000 gross income per month.  I am in the field and good at it so I might invest the income generated per month in class "C" and "D" turn-around, reposition properties.

Not sure if I would finance the apartments or run 100% debt free....Please chime in Windermere Jill!!

United States
    Member #135809
    November 29, 2012
    257 Posts
    Posted: September 15, 2013, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

I have a longer horizon, but for me I would start a hedge fund with all of it, except a couple houses in coastal cities and Paris. My focus would be small cap equities and venture capital. I'd also opportunistically look at real estate and hotel opportunities. As a hobby, I would invest in some films as well.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
      Happyland
      United States
      Member #146350
      September 1, 2013
      649 Posts
      Posted: September 15, 2013, 9:18 pm - IP Logged

I would probably start out with tax-free municipal bonds and like Toronto eventually create my own hedge fund.

I would start my own corporation(s), one of which will be a movie studio (I work in the film industry).

Obviously set aside some spending money, otherwise I would invest most of it. Anything that brings the best returns I suppose

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the payoff does.

If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2013: -35.14% (158 tickets) || 2014: +43.40% (14 tickets)

Windermere, FL/Franklin, TN
        United States
        Member #50210
        March 1, 2007
        839 Posts
        Posted: September 16, 2013, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

If I were so fortunate to win at this jackpot level (about 135,000,000 after taxes) my plan looks something like this:

$15,000,000 cash or very liquid funds. Should generate approximately $35,000 per month in interest..

$15,000,000 physically held gold and silver (held for safety and possible appreciation)

$79,000,000 in real estate likely a combination of Single Family Homes and Class "A" Apartment buildings. 800 Class A Apartment units should generate approximately $1,000,000 gross income per month.  I am in the field and good at it so I might invest the income generated per month in class "C" and "D" turn-around, reposition properties.

Not sure if I would finance the apartments or run 100% debt free....Please chime in Windermere Jill!!

BuyLow- I definitely wouldn't invest more than half my assets on any one particular investment. The apartment complex should be financed through a structured deal with a minimal cash outlay.

10% of your net winnings could go toward homes and vehicles but no more.

10% should be in a charitable trust with family members and close friends being employed in a minor capacity.

The balance of the principle should be in a variety of different investments (Bonds, stocks, precious metals, homes/rental properties). Your age and goals would dictate how this is allocated.

** Some people fulfill their dreams by receiving entitlements from the Government while others wake up and work hard for it! **

Delaware
          United States
          Member #93505
          July 1, 2010
          404 Posts
          Posted: September 16, 2013, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

I would never finance the apartments. I think its better to run 100% debt free but that's just me but I like your investment choices.

RedStang's avatar - threefin zpsd48411ab.jpg
            Dutchess NY
            United States
            Member #121966
            January 21, 2012
            2680 Posts
            Posted: September 16, 2013, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

Maybe some stocks, rare cars and a 7-11 so i have my own lotto machine. Investing is tough these days unless your in a good area where there's plenty of jobs.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
              Member #4877
              May 30, 2004
              4641 Posts
              Posted: September 16, 2013, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

BL:

UR the "perfect" canidate 4D >>>SMART CAR>>>

UR FN l@@k<<<<$$$$$$$$$<<<SWISS CHEESE!!

Jack-in-the-Box 

United States
                Member #130820
                July 25, 2012
                1636 Posts
                Posted: September 16, 2013, 5:18 pm - IP Logged

I was with you until you got to the 79 million in homes and apartments, I dont know that Id invest in apartments where people would have to pay me rent and Id have to constantly maintain it....but I'd definately have some kinds of business or even businesses but I dont know what kind i'd like to own

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
                  Florida
                  United States
                  Member #61435
                  May 22, 2008
                  776 Posts
                  Posted: September 16, 2013, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

I was with you until you got to the 79 million in homes and apartments, I dont know that Id invest in apartments where people would have to pay me rent and Id have to constantly maintain it....but I'd definately have some kinds of business or even businesses but I dont know what kind i'd like to own

On a large building like that you would probably have 7-10 full time staff onsite, really could be pretty hands off if you choose to be.

Milwaukee, WI
                    United States
                    Member #3131
                    December 27, 2003
                    665 Posts
                    Posted: September 16, 2013, 11:05 pm - IP Logged

99% of todays homes are crap. I have to build my own, MY way.

Maybe my own construction company.  100% energy free homes. Reinvent the mobile home market. Build homes that don't blow down in the first storm. Turn the building market on it's ear.