Welcome Guest
The time is now 11:00 pm
You last visited April 17, 2014, 10:59 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Millions $1,000,000.00 Winners Without Megaplier

139 replies. Last post 15 hours ago by bigbear29.

Page 1 of 10
PrintE-mailLink
Win$500Quick's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
Florida
United States
Member #77815
August 1, 2009
3163 Posts
Posted: December 11, 2013, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

Since the matrix change I notice most draws produce a few 5+0 winners. But I was surprise to see none of them played the megaplier to turn their million into 2,3,4,or 5 million and the #5 has been drawn 5 times. I would have mix feelings about missing the chance to increase that win. Most players like me are after the jackpot, so they rather buy more tickets. I only buy 1 Mega Millions ticket per draw because I am boycotting. I may have to spend $2 just in case I am a 5+0 winner. Do you play Megaplier or Powerplay?

Breadwinner!

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    egg harbor twp.south jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112972
    June 29, 2011
    3059 Posts
    Posted: December 11, 2013, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

Since the matrix change I notice most draws produce a few 5+0 winners. But I was surprise to see none of them played the megaplier to turn their million into 2,3,4,or 5 million and the #5 has been drawn 5 times. I would have mix feelings about missing the chance to increase that win. Most players like me are after the jackpot, so they rather buy more tickets. I only buy 1 Mega Millions ticket per draw because I am boycotting. I may have to spend $2 just in case I am a 5+0 winner. Do you play Megaplier or Powerplay?

I always get the multiplier.

I suspect that the players not taking the multiplier are exactly the prey the lottery were looking for, ya know,

the casual player that only pays attention when the JP gets big and has not a clue what the odds are.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      8759 Posts
      Posted: December 11, 2013, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

I agree with haymaker.

For both MM and PB if you watch the drawings they'll announce lower tier winnings and rare is the person who played the extra dollar.

On MM they win $1M, having played $1, and on PB $1M having played $2.

On MM some people probably throw an extra dollar on another set of numbers, going for the jackpot instead of 5 + 0, but if they do get 5 + 0 that dollar will probably haunt them from that day forward.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
        Member #121750
        January 16, 2012
        2870 Posts
        Posted: December 11, 2013, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

I always get the multiplier.

I suspect that the players not taking the multiplier are exactly the prey the lottery were looking for, ya know,

the casual player that only pays attention when the JP gets big and has not a clue what the odds are.

I agree.

Just as the bird sings or the butterfly soars,

because it is his natural characteristic,

so the artist works.

by Alma  Gluck

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
          Los Angeles, California
          United States
          Member #103816
          January 5, 2011
          1427 Posts
          Posted: December 11, 2013, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

I don't ever play Megaplier or Powerplay. Well, I can't because California is pari-mutuel and doesn't offer either one! LOL But even if we had it, I would not play it.

I wouldn't call someone stupid if they chose to play MP/PP or not. It's a gambling choice like anything else. I don't like it, but others may. Some people like certain bets, others don't. To each his own.

Here's how it breaks down though, both are similar:

Megaplier/Powerplay is a side bet that returns around 50% total for 2nd-9th prizes. When added to the base bet,(which is required) it increases the overall return of the 2nd-9th prizes slightly.

For PB, the 2nd-9th prizes payout is 18.02%. Combined with PP, it increases to 28.67%.

For MM, the 2nd-9th prizes payout is 17.42%. Combined with MP,(weighted) it increases to 33.68%.

So a little better value for MM, but not great. If you are OK with those numbers and putting your money there, go ahead and play it.

The lottery would love everyone to buy Megaplier/Powerplay, it just increases their revenue, which is their goal. Right now, only 10% or less of MM/PB sales have MP/PP.

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
            upstate NY
            United States
            Member #108795
            March 31, 2011
            476 Posts
            Posted: December 11, 2013, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

Given the new odds, players may be of the opinion that playing MM is akin to throwing your money down a hole, so they're going to be stingy with their purchases.  That dollar that might have gone toward the Megaplier under the old matrix is either staying in players' wallets or being spent on another line instead.

"I think if you think the Internet is a place where it's ok to be cruel to other humans, that's just so sad. You must really be suffering." -- Xeni Jardin

United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              8759 Posts
              Posted: December 11, 2013, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

Jon D,

The way MM looks at it is every 5 + 0 hit without the megaplier is $1M to $4M saved, paying out $1M instead of $2M, etc...

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                Member #149827
                December 9, 2013
                381 Posts
                Posted: December 11, 2013, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

I megaplier but not powerplay...Im shooting for that 5 million

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                  Los Angeles, California
                  United States
                  Member #103816
                  January 5, 2011
                  1427 Posts
                  Posted: December 11, 2013, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

Jon D,

The way MM looks at it is every 5 + 0 hit without the megaplier is $1M to $4M saved, paying out $1M instead of $2M, etc...

Yeah, I did factor that in.(weighted multiplier for all)

Average Megaplier 2nd prize would be about $3,866,666 with the ball ratios.

2x 2/15

3x 4/15

4x 3/15

5x 6/15

Marana AZ
                    United States
                    Member #145346
                    August 3, 2013
                    99 Posts
                    Posted: December 11, 2013, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

Jon D,

The way MM looks at it is every play with megaplier is profit to them because the payouts over time are far less than the extra cash they receive from the suckers.

Florida
                      United States
                      Member #77815
                      August 1, 2009
                      3163 Posts
                      Posted: December 11, 2013, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

I megaplier but not powerplay...Im shooting for that 5 million

I was wondering how all those 5+0 winners felt after passing on the megaplier.

Breadwinner!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        -Ridge Runner- Oracle of the Appalachians
                        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14695 Posts
                        Posted: December 11, 2013, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

I was wondering how all those 5+0 winners felt after passing on the megaplier.

Like suckers.

United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          8759 Posts
                          Posted: December 12, 2013, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

Some people seem to be thinking that since there's ben 5 + 0 winners surely we'll have a jackpot winner.

Let's look at the difference in the odds between 5 + 1 and 5 + 0.

Ticket Matches       Payout           Odds                                                                                        ------------------------------------------
                          5 White + Mega      Jackpot    1 in 258,890,850.00     

5 White No Mega   1,000,000    1 in 18,492,203.57   

Thats a difference of 240,398,647:1

Before the matrix change the jackpot odds were 175,000,000:1

Think about it.

Lep

Florida
                            United States
                            Member #77815
                            August 1, 2009
                            3163 Posts
                            Posted: December 13, 2013, 8:56 pm - IP Logged

Some people seem to be thinking that since there's ben 5 + 0 winners surely we'll have a jackpot winner.

Let's look at the difference in the odds between 5 + 1 and 5 + 0.

Ticket Matches       Payout           Odds                                                                                        ------------------------------------------
                            5 White + Mega      Jackpot    1 in 258,890,850.00     

5 White No Mega   1,000,000    1 in 18,492,203.57   

Thats a difference of 240,398,647:1

Before the matrix change the jackpot odds were 175,000,000:1

Think about it.

I Agree! That is why I bought 1 ticket with the magaplier. $5 Million ain't bad for second tier prize.

Breadwinner!

Florida
                              United States
                              Member #77815
                              August 1, 2009
                              3163 Posts
                              Posted: December 14, 2013, 7:16 am - IP Logged

In Friday night's Mega Millions drawing, there was no jackpot winner, but 9 lucky players matched the first 5 numbers for a $1,000,000 prize: 1 from Colorado, 1 from Connecticut, 2 from Florida, 2 from Michigan, 1 from New Jersey, and 2 from New York.

Unfortunately, none of the nine second-prize winners purchased their ticket with the Megaplier option for an extra $1 per play.  If they had, their prize would have been doubled to $2 million, because the Megaplier number drawn was 2.

Breadwinner!

Page 1 of 10