Welcome Guest
The time is now 9:51 pm
You last visited September 1, 2014, 9:47 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

13 Things Lottery Winners Won't Tell You

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 8 months ago by aftermath.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
9028 Posts
Posted: December 17, 2013, 12:24 am - IP Logged

From Reader's Digest, here's a few of the 13, you can read the rest on the link at the end.

1. Easy come, easy go.

Whether we win $500 million or $1 million, about 70 percent of us lose or spend all our money in five years or less.

You will be exploited—possibly by your friends.

I had one friend who told me this sob story about how behind she was on her local taxes, how they were going to take her house because she couldn’t pay. After she left, I got on my computer, looked up her tax records, and saw that she wasn’t behind. When I printed out that page and sent it to her, well, that was the end of our friendship.

Read more: http://www.rd.com/slideshows/13-things-lottery-winners/#ixzz2nhs8Vg6v

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Win$500Quick's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
    Florida
    United States
    Member #77815
    August 1, 2009
    3262 Posts
    Posted: December 17, 2013, 2:58 am - IP Logged

Thanks Coin. I like these 2 from the list.

We are still looked down upon by the truly wealthy.

After we won and moved into an exclusive neighborhood, we  planned a huge Fourth of July party and invited all our neighbors. None of them  came—they thought we didn’t earn our money.

We answer for our impulse purchases.

After we won the lottery, we bought an eight-bedroom,  seven-bath, 10,000-square-foot mansion because we could, and it sounded amazing.  Well, now we’re selling the eight-bedroom, seven-bath ?mansion because it’s  impractical for a family of four.

Thousandaire

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #129230
      June 13, 2012
      333 Posts
      Posted: December 17, 2013, 7:14 am - IP Logged

Thanks for sharing those Coin they were great!

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
        Oklahoma
        United States
        Member #82391
        November 12, 2009
        5273 Posts
        Posted: December 17, 2013, 7:21 am - IP Logged

Thanks CT Thumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

sully16's avatar - sharan
          Listens to the wind

United States
          Member #81740
          October 28, 2009
          19279 Posts
          Posted: December 17, 2013, 7:33 am - IP Logged

From Reader's Digest, here's a few of the 13, you can read the rest on the link at the end.

1. Easy come, easy go.

Whether we win $500 million or $1 million, about 70 percent of us lose or spend all our money in five years or less.

I had one friend who told me this sob story about how behind she was on her local taxes, how they were going to take her house because she couldn’t pay. After she left, I got on my computer, looked up her tax records, and saw that she wasn’t behind. When I printed out that page and sent it to her, well, that was the end of our friendship.

Read more: http://www.rd.com/slideshows/13-things-lottery-winners/#ixzz2nhs8Vg6v

Thanks Coin, best to keep quiet.

There's only one US Flag

United States
            Member #149827
            December 9, 2013
            469 Posts
            Posted: December 17, 2013, 7:52 am - IP Logged

All these so called problems I'd like to experience them because I won the lottery, hopefully tonight LOL

dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
              North Carolina
              United States
              Member #64582
              September 1, 2008
              332 Posts
              Posted: December 17, 2013, 8:02 am - IP Logged

My favorite was:

Don't donate all at once.

If you want to give a charity a big sum of money, never give it all at once. It’s better to donate $100,000 a year for ten years so you can retain some control and make sure the cash is being spent wisely.

I had always thought that if I won a lot of money, I'd take all the money I wanted to donate, put it into something like an Index Fund, then send my donation from the interest that was earned every year. That way, I always had money I could donate for years to come. I never thought of this, which is a good idea since you don't always know what they are going to do with your money. It would be nice to have some control, if you want it. Especially if you find they support something you are totally against.

"Don't be a schmuck, always take the cash." -Coin Toss

United States
                Member #125190
                March 26, 2012
                50 Posts
                Posted: December 17, 2013, 9:40 am - IP Logged

1. Easy come, easy go.

6 POINTS ON KEEPING YOU AND YOUR MONEY SAFE.

I think most of those points (the ones from Readers' Digest) were either stupid, or redundant.
                I didn't even understand (nor do I care to)  the one about the friend's tax records.

1. CASH OR ANUITY?   NO QUESTION.
                No annuity. Too much chance to blow your cover over the years.

2. DENY LOTTO WINNER RECOGNITION STAY ANONYMOUS ASSUME OTHER IDENTITY
                Just move to a different place, change and assume another identity, and make new friends.
                That's what I've always planned. Having/keeping the same friends when your not rich is just boring,
                and you can't count on them seeing your new lifestyle the way you do.

3. THE HOUSE YOU'LL BUY
                I agree with the one point that indicates not to buy a mansion, if you have a small family. Why buy one
                anyway? If you win this lotto, buy a 2 million dollar one, with enough garage and basement space to house
                all your toys. One that you can actually sell when the time comes.  A recent news story or two talks about pro ball players who had
                to short-sell their houses. (if that even matters to you).

4. FRIENDS
                Just pick one or two friends from your year book, in addition to your current boy/girl friend to share the wealth.
                Any more than that, and you're asking for a conspiracy against you. 
                There's no such thing as love anymore.  Don't want your wife to get everything? See my point on hiring a Lawyer.
                Do this before telling anyone you won anything.

5. DEALING WITH THREATS
                Don't give any money away to people who've ever threatened you.
                It's not going to make things anything better. They'll only want more and more.

6. KEEP A GOOD LAWYER RETAINED
                For sure. Get (or create) a firm that is there, for your interests only.
                Or, hire one, that'll represent your interests only.

Pita Maha's avatar - 940d8157 d1fb-4f70-a715-6ad04d915489.jpg
                  SW Florida
                  United States
                  Member #145678
                  August 11, 2013
                  152 Posts
                  Posted: December 17, 2013, 10:43 am - IP Logged

After we won the lottery, we bought an eight-bedroom,  seven-bath, 10,000-square-foot mansion because we could, and it sounded amazing.  Well, now we’re selling the eight-bedroom, seven-bath ?mansion because it’s  impractical for a family of four.

Unless you have 6 kids or a lot of family living with you, I can't understand having more bedrooms than you actually need, plus one, or maybe two at most, guest bedrooms.  Better yet, have a guest cottage out back.  Too many bedrooms can mean too many visitors.  And a whole bunch of bedroom furniture to buy and rooms to clean and cool/heat. What's the point? other than to show off.

hearsetrax's avatar - 78638c467ef281febf24383e126f74b6

United States
                    Member #52345
                    May 21, 2007
                    1839 Posts
                    Posted: December 17, 2013, 10:55 am - IP Logged

Unless you have 6 kids or a lot of family living with you, I can't understand having more bedrooms than you actually need, plus one, or maybe two at most, guest bedrooms.  Better yet, have a guest cottage out back.  Too many bedrooms can mean too many visitors.  And a whole bunch of bedroom furniture to buy and rooms to clean and cool/heat. What's the point? other than to show off.

also remember to change out the doors/locks to your new place

lesson 4 today

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      9028 Posts
                      Posted: December 17, 2013, 10:59 am - IP Logged

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I thought the one about the July 4th party they intended to throw was very telling ....they had moved to a wealthy neighborhood, invited all their neighbors, and no one showed up because they hadn't earned the money.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Pita Maha's avatar - 940d8157 d1fb-4f70-a715-6ad04d915489.jpg
                        SW Florida
                        United States
                        Member #145678
                        August 11, 2013
                        152 Posts
                        Posted: December 17, 2013, 11:14 am - IP Logged

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I thought the one about the July 4th party they intended to throw was very telling ....they had moved to a wealthy neighborhood, invited all their neighbors, and no one showed up because they hadn't earned the money.

Quite sad actually. Shows that some jackpot winners can end up neither here nor there - not part of the wealthy class, and too rich for their old friends.  I'd rather try to work at keeping my old friends as much as possible because we have some great people for friends.  Not many, but good quality people.  It would be sad to lose any of them.

However, in the example above, I would have thought they would have had a feeling for how their neighbors felt about them, before inviting them to a party. There must have been a lack of warmth and friendliness to give them a clue.

United States
                          Member #149401
                          November 30, 2013
                          12 Posts
                          Posted: December 17, 2013, 11:56 am - IP Logged

Yeah, i'll bet most of those "rich" folks either inherited it or got a pretty decent start from family.  Sad.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                            u$a
                            United States
                            Member #106669
                            February 22, 2011
                            17055 Posts
                            Posted: December 17, 2013, 11:57 am - IP Logged

1. Easy come, easy go.

Thanks for sharingSmiley Santa

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                              u$a
                              United States
                              Member #106669
                              February 22, 2011
                              17055 Posts
                              Posted: December 17, 2013, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

also remember to change out the doors/locks to your new place

lesson 4 today

I Agree!