Welcome Guest
The time is now 2:14 pm
You last visited April 18, 2014, 2:11 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

You win the powerball or mega millions, Taxes owned??

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 3 months ago by Toronto.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #145272
August 1, 2013
384 Posts
Posted: January 16, 2014, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

Say you win 93 million, federal and your state taxes are taken out.  Now for the next year, do you just own income taxes on what you received from your winnings?  ( you did not work, you are retired )

Example:  cash take home after lottery corporation takes federal and your state taxes out is 52 million.  Now for the next year, you will have to pay 5.75%  income taxes on the 52 million that you won in the previous year. 

Does that sound close to being correct?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    17415 Posts
    Posted: January 16, 2014, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

The amount of taxes withheld is never the complete amount owed, you'll know that at the end of the year when you calculate your taxes and file.

* Thoses who can, do * 
    * thoses who can't, just talk *
    Roll Eyes 

United States
      Member #145272
      August 1, 2013
      384 Posts
      Posted: January 16, 2014, 3:41 pm - IP Logged

Yes, that's what winners need to know before they buy the mansion, the expansive cars, the jet and so on.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        17415 Posts
        Posted: January 16, 2014, 3:52 pm - IP Logged

I doubt if any winner would plan to spend every penny before the end of the year, besides even a mansion and other expensive stuff require funds for maintance.  A mansion will generate a big tax bill every year you own it.

* Thoses who can, do * 
        * thoses who can't, just talk *
        Roll Eyes 

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
          Bay Area/ California
          United States
          Member #136482
          December 12, 2012
          1655 Posts
          Posted: January 16, 2014, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

Say you win 93 million, federal and your state taxes are taken out.  Now for the next year, do you just own income taxes on what you received from your winnings?  ( you did not work, you are retired )

Example:  cash take home after lottery corporation takes federal and your state taxes out is 52 million.  Now for the next year, you will have to pay 5.75%  income taxes on the 52 million that you won in the previous year. 

Does that sound close to being correct?

You owe the following year as well- if my math is correct,  you tax free from the Fed by the 3rd year after your win UNLESS you invested in something or bought a house etc, etc.
          I stand to be corrected since l am not a tax attorney or consultant.

United States
            Member #145272
            August 1, 2013
            384 Posts
            Posted: January 16, 2014, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

Well that's something else to think about, Fed taxes possible up too 3 years to pay.

maringoman's avatar - kobold
              Massachusetts
              United States
              Member #37433
              April 14, 2006
              1784 Posts
              Posted: January 16, 2014, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

Say you win tomorrow's night MM jackpot and claim it on Monday morning. You will pay withholding taxes on that jackpot on Monday morning as you claim the jp. In April 2015 when you file for 2014 taxes you will most likely end up paying taxes because the jp pushed you to the top income bracket. But if you don't earn any income at all in the year 2015 then in 2016 you will not owe any taxes.

Alright, my turn.

United States
                Member #149827
                December 9, 2013
                382 Posts
                Posted: January 16, 2014, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

Say you win tomorrow's night MM jackpot and claim it on Monday morning. You will pay withholding taxes on that jackpot on Monday morning as you claim the jp. In April 2015 when you file for 2014 taxes you will most likely end up paying taxes because the jp pushed you to the top income bracket. But if you don't earn any income at all in the year 2015 then in 2016 you will not owe any taxes.

So are you saying in 2016 you wouldnt pay anything on the whatever you have left of the win? Like say you didnt invest the money you just put it in the bank all you would pay taxes on is the interest or the whole amount in the bank PLUS the interest for 2016 tax

United States
                  Member #135809
                  November 29, 2012
                  192 Posts
                  Posted: January 16, 2014, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

I win 100 million in lump sum. 25% is automatically withheld for federal taxes + 5% state income withheld as well. So I only get $70 million deposited to my account. Let's assume I don't invest at all in 2014; at the end of the year I am left with 70 still in my account.

Let's assume the total upper bracket rate for federal is 40%. When I file for taxes in April 2015 for my 2014 fiscal year...first, I can choose to deduct all the sales tax within a state that I paid throughout the year (assuming I maybe bought tons of property or just kept all the receipts of everything I purchased) or otherwise 5% state income. My taxable income for federal becomes $95 million.

I then use this to calculate the total amount I have to pay @ the 40% rate...the amount I owe will obviously be more than the 25% taken out immediately at the time of winning and I pay the difference: 38 [95*.4] - 25 withheld = 13 million.

I will not owe any new tax on whatever I have left (57 million) in any subsequent year.

maringoman's avatar - kobold
                    Massachusetts
                    United States
                    Member #37433
                    April 14, 2006
                    1784 Posts
                    Posted: January 16, 2014, 5:52 pm - IP Logged

So are you saying in 2016 you wouldnt pay anything on the whatever you have left of the win? Like say you didnt invest the money you just put it in the bank all you would pay taxes on is the interest or the whole amount in the bank PLUS the interest for 2016 tax

You will still pay some negligible taxes such as sales tax when you buy things at the store and property taxes if you own property but no significant taxes if you just bank your money for the whole of 2015. The little interest earned there shall be your only taxable income.

Alright, my turn.

United States
                      Member #135809
                      November 29, 2012
                      192 Posts
                      Posted: January 16, 2014, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

Now, let's say I invest the 57 million in something that pays both a dividend and can appreciate/depreciate in value starting January 1, 2015. I exit this investment on Jan 15, 2016 (over a year later); a dividend of 5 million is paid July 1, 2015. The $57 million invested also grew to 65 million from 1/1/2015 to 1/15/2016.

For the dividend (in April 2016 for fiscal year 2015), I will pay any state/local income, federal income (40%), and medicare tax (up to 3.8%) owed. In April 2017 when I file taxes for my 2016 fiscal year in which I gained $8 million (65-57), I will pay capital gains state taxes (depends on state), federal taxes (20% top rate), and medicare tax on that $8 million. The top federal rate is only 20% because it is long-term capital gains, the price appreciation I received was for a holding period over 1 year.

Then there are some more complex things. If I moved to Alaska during 2015, and live there for a total of 183 days. I would not file a state return nor pay state income tax for 2015. If I invested in municipal bonds, I would be exempt from federal taxes on any returns. If I invested in savings bonds, I would not have to pay state or local taxes on any returns.

Sacramento, CA
                        United States
                        Member #142459
                        May 12, 2013
                        62 Posts
                        Posted: January 16, 2014, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

You're talking about appreciation like you're taxed on it annually. Was the gain realized? If it's just paper gains, that's unrealized and you don't pay on that. Any dividends paid by those stocks, yes, but not the paper gains. If you've sold/realized the gains, then 23.8% long term capital gains tax if you've held those stocks for over a year, less than a year is taxed as normal income at 39.6%.

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
                          Nutley, New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #131063
                          August 1, 2012
                          720 Posts
                          Posted: January 18, 2014, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

If I moved to Alaska during 2015, and live there for a total of 183 days. I would not file a state return nor pay state income tax for 2015.

You could also move to Florida and Nevada and not need to tax state income too. Or better yet, you can live in Puerto Rico 183 days out of the year and be exempt from paying federal tax on investment income. http://www.puertoricoistheanswer.com/attraactingthewealthy.html

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                            TX
                            United States
                            Member #121198
                            January 4, 2012
                            1060 Posts
                            Posted: January 18, 2014, 3:41 pm - IP Logged

If I moved to Alaska during 2015, and live there for a total of 183 days. I would not file a state return nor pay state income tax for 2015.

You could also move to Florida and Nevada and not need to tax state income too. Or better yet, you can live in Puerto Rico 183 days out of the year and be exempt from paying federal tax on investment income. http://www.puertoricoistheanswer.com/attraactingthewealthy.html

You can stay in Texas without incurring a state income tax as well.....40% to the feds is bad enough  Bash

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

mikeintexas's avatar - h t2.jpg
                              Texas Panhandle
                              United States
                              Member #136848
                              December 20, 2012
                              307 Posts
                              Posted: January 18, 2014, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

You can stay in Texas without incurring a state income tax as well.....40% to the feds is bad enough  Bash

39.6%  We Texans have a reputation for stretching the truth, thanks to folks like you.

My mother told me at least a hundred gazillion times not to exaggerate.

Wink