Welcome Guest
The time is now 3:31 am
You last visited September 17, 2014, 3:29 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Play The Lottery Someday- It Is Okay To Dream!

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 5 months ago by Jon D.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
NEW YORK
United States
Member #90537
April 29, 2010
3248 Posts
Posted: April 8, 2014, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

Playing 365 lottery tickets in 1 lottery drawing is better than buying 1 lottery ticket everyday for 365 days.

Marana AZ
    United States
    Member #145346
    August 3, 2013
    145 Posts
    Posted: April 8, 2014, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

Yes. But buying 1 winning ticket is better than buying 365 losers.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      -Ridge Runner- Oracle of the Appalachians
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: April 8, 2014, 9:55 pm - IP Logged

Playing 365 lottery tickets in 1 lottery drawing is better than buying 1 lottery ticket everyday for 365 days.

You are going to win the Powerball Jackpot someday.

And share it with a backwoods hillbilly.

NEW YORK
        United States
        Member #90537
        April 29, 2010
        3248 Posts
        Posted: April 9, 2014, 8:32 am - IP Logged

WOODY WOODPECKER DOES NOT PLAY THE LOTTERY WITH ME.LOL

NEW YORK
          United States
          Member #90537
          April 29, 2010
          3248 Posts
          Posted: April 9, 2014, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

I DO NOT PLAY THE LOTTERY. 

I DID NOT PLAY THE LOTTERY TODAY. 

HOW TO WIN THE LOTTERY BY NOT PLAYING=SAVE YOUR MONEY TO PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY. 

OUR REGULAR LOTTERY PROGRAMMING. 

1) Playing the lottery more often for less tickets= Buying 1 lottery ticket. 

2) Playing the lottery less often for more tickets= Buying multiple lottery tickets. 

3) Playing the lottery less often for less tickets= Buying 1 lottery ticket monthly or yearly. 

4) Playing the lottery more often for more tickets= Spending more money= Gambling addiction. 

I SET A LOTTERY STOP LOSS LIMIT TO MINIMIZE MY LOSSES. 

A lottery stop loss limit is very important to be a successful lottery player over the long term.

NEW YORK
            United States
            Member #90537
            April 29, 2010
            3248 Posts
            Posted: April 16, 2014, 10:12 am - IP Logged

Yes. But buying 1 winning ticket is better than buying 365 losers.

YOU ARE A RISK AVERSE LOTTERY PLAYER.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
              Happyland
              United States
              Member #146350
              September 1, 2013
              575 Posts
              Posted: April 16, 2014, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

DO NOT PLAY THE LOTTERY UNLESS YOU ARE A MILLIONAIRE

I will play Mega Millions after I win the Mega Millions jackpot....lol

MM ROR

*Assumes continuous play with independent bets of 1 unit for gross cash jackpot of $1 billion (RoR calculation includes fixed prizes).

In real-life it would be difficult to go broke while playing (unless you have no income), especially since play is non-continuous. But it is possible.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the payoff does.

If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2013: -35.14% (158 tickets) || 2014: +20.00% (13 tickets)

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                Los Angeles, California
                United States
                Member #103816
                January 5, 2011
                1530 Posts
                Posted: April 16, 2014, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

DO NOT PLAY THE LOTTERY UNLESS YOU ARE A MILLIONAIRE

I will play Mega Millions after I win the Mega Millions jackpot....lol

MM ROR

*Assumes continuous play with independent bets of 1 unit for gross cash jackpot of $1 billion (RoR calculation includes fixed prizes).

In real-life it would be difficult to go broke while playing (unless you have no income), especially since play is non-continuous. But it is possible.

Doesn't make any sense, more useless garbage. Thumbs Down

Happyland
                  United States
                  Member #146350
                  September 1, 2013
                  575 Posts
                  Posted: April 16, 2014, 4:48 pm - IP Logged

The post above is a GREAT example of using unsound deductive arguments:

• Premise 1: In order for something to be useful, it must make sense to me. 
                  • Premise 2: This doesn't make sense to me. 
                  • Conclusion: This is not useful; it is garbage.

At the very least, an individual who disagrees or cannot comprehend something should explain why or what part of it does not make sense.

Thumbs Up

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the payoff does.

If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

Los Angeles, California
                    United States
                    Member #103816
                    January 5, 2011
                    1530 Posts
                    Posted: April 16, 2014, 4:53 pm - IP Logged

The post above is a GREAT example of using unsound deductive arguments:

• Premise 1: In order for something to be useful, it must make sense to me. 
                    • Premise 2: This doesn't make sense to me. 
                    • Conclusion: This is not useful; it is garbage.

At the very least, an individual who disagrees or cannot comprehend something should explain why or what part of it does not make sense.

Thumbs Up

Oh, I'm sorry professor.

Need more information, let me ask a question then:

So if you have a million dollar bankroll, and you spend 1 dollar for every MM draw, $104 per year. So you have more than $990,000 left before you croak.(max human lifespan) So you have 99% chance of ruin?

Please correct as necessary and continue.

Happyland
                      United States
                      Member #146350
                      September 1, 2013
                      575 Posts
                      Posted: April 16, 2014, 5:03 pm - IP Logged

Oh, I'm sorry professor.

Need more information, let me ask a question then:

So if you have a million dollar bankroll, and you spend 1 dollar for every MM draw, $104 per year. So you have more than $990,000 left before you croak.(max human lifespan) So you have 99% chance of ruin?

Please correct as necessary and continue.

As stated in my original post w/chart, the risk of ruin assumes continuous play. That's why in reality it is unlikely to go broke playing the lottery (except no income), because there are non-continuous drawings. For $1 bets, you will die before that ever happens. This doesn't necessarily make the RoR irrevelant, rather it's intended to show how unlikely you are to "come out ahead" (via either jackpot or fixed prizes) without going broke, even with a large bankroll. It's a good measure to compare games. You can substitute $1 bets with any higher wager and it will still be applicable.

Los Angeles, California
                        United States
                        Member #103816
                        January 5, 2011
                        1530 Posts
                        Posted: April 16, 2014, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

As stated in my original post w/chart, the risk of ruin assumes continuous play. That's why in reality it is unlikely to go broke playing the lottery (except no income), because there are non-continuous drawings. For $1 bets, you will die before that ever happens. This doesn't necessarily make the RoR irrevelant, rather it's intended to show how unlikely you are to "come out ahead" (via either jackpot or fixed prizes) without going broke, even with a large bankroll. It's a good measure to compare games. You can substitute $1 bets with any higher wager and it will still be applicable.

Thank you LottoMetro for confirming that this is in fact NOT useful for a human being in real-world MM play, as I stated. It doesn't make any sense except in your imaginary universe where a $1B JP is repeated into perpetuity, or a the subset of draws of the real universe spanning billions of years and more.

It's just a purely academic study, no value in the real world. Maybe it has value in the imaginary land of Happyland where you come from? Green laugh

BTW, do you know you are breaking forum rules by putting in a false location? And I'm sure the residents of Happyland, wherever that is, are none too happy about LottoMetro claiming residency there. LOL

Happyland
                          United States
                          Member #146350
                          September 1, 2013
                          575 Posts
                          Posted: April 16, 2014, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

Thank you LottoMetro for confirming that this is in fact NOT useful for a human being in real-world MM play, as I stated. It doesn't make any sense except in your imaginary universe where a $1B JP is repeated into perpetuity, or a the subset of draws of the real universe spanning billions of years and more.

It's just a purely academic study, no value in the real world. Maybe it has value in the imaginary land of Happyland where you come from? Green laugh

BTW, do you know you are breaking forum rules by putting in a false location? And I'm sure the residents of Happyland, wherever that is, are none too happy about LottoMetro claiming residency there. LOL

I'm curious, what exactly would be considered "useful for a human being in real-world MM play"? Please share your wealth of this alleged knowledge.

The risk of ruin for non-millionaires is essentially 100%, which means you shouldn't play. People play with the hope or expectation that they will someday win the lottery, but as shown, for MM that is a waste of time because eventually they will either die or run out of money. Not all lotteries have a RoR of 100% for non-millionaires. Those are the games to play. Sounds pretty useful to me.

I'm not breaking any rules but, of course, I wouldn't expect someone like you to know that it is a real place. Wink

Los Angeles, California
                            United States
                            Member #103816
                            January 5, 2011
                            1530 Posts
                            Posted: April 16, 2014, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

I'm curious, what exactly would be considered "useful for a human being in real-world MM play"? Please share your wealth of this alleged knowledge.

The risk of ruin for non-millionaires is essentially 100%, which means you shouldn't play. People play with the hope or expectation that they will someday win the lottery, but as shown, for MM that is a waste of time because eventually they will either die or run out of money. Not all lotteries have a RoR of 100% for non-millionaires. Those are the games to play. Sounds pretty useful to me.

I'm not breaking any rules but, of course, I wouldn't expect someone like you to know that it is a real place. Wink

I have no wealth of knowledge on playing MM, never claimed to. I just said your graph was useless garbage, and now we have confirmed that! Thumbs Up

Move along folks . . . nothing to see here!

That was just your pathetic attempt to try and impress people and draw attention to yourself, again. Why you persist, I don't know. You think you're the first mathematician to come here with some kind of God complex, believing it's your job to educate the ignorant masses on the futility of playing the lottery? (along with your snooty signature) Well, you're not the first, and I'm sure you won't be the last. But you are certainly persistent, I'll give you that.

But people don't play the lottery because of probabilities or EV or ROI. Many, like me, play as entertainment. Like going to a baseball game, or concert, or night on the town. You spend money, it ain't coming back. Oh, but on lottery, some of it does come back. To a lucky few, more than they spent.

So please get over yourself. You're not going to save everyone and have them follow you through the parted Red Sea. Move on and try to do something more useful, hmmmkay?

Happyland
                              United States
                              Member #146350
                              September 1, 2013
                              575 Posts
                              Posted: April 16, 2014, 6:08 pm - IP Logged

I have no wealth of knowledge on playing MM, never claimed to. I just said your graph was useless garbage, and now we have confirmed that! Thumbs Up

Move along folks . . . nothing to see here!

That was just your pathetic attempt to try and impress people and draw attention to yourself, again. Why you persist, I don't know. You think you're the first mathematician to come here with some kind of God complex, believing it's your job to educate the ignorant masses on the futility of playing the lottery? (along with your snooty signature) Well, you're not the first, and I'm sure you won't be the last. But you are certainly persistent, I'll give you that.

But people don't play the lottery because of probabilities or EV or ROI. Many, like me, play as entertainment. Like going to a baseball game, or concert, or night on the town. You spend money, it ain't coming back. Oh, but on lottery, some of it does come back. To a lucky few, more than they spent.

So please get over yourself. You're not going to save everyone and have them follow you through the parted Red Sea. Move on and try to do something more useful, hmmmkay?

It's obvious you get no benefit from my posts, but many other people do. You claim my posts are garbage, yet you post nothing useful in return. Hypocritical if you ask me. If you have nothing to contribute that adds or improves a conversation, you shouldn't bother responding.

I am well aware that most people play the lottery for entertainment, and the point of my post(s) was not to discourage playing. It's simply illustrating why you shouldn't play particular games. You can get the same amount of entertainment but have a higher chance of actually fulfilling those hopes/dreams, just by choosing better games. I've said this before, last year I did better than the year before by simply choosing different games. I still got the same fun out of playing, but I was left with more money to play again. That's basically all I'm doing here.