Welcome Guest
The time is now 9:34 am
You last visited October 21, 2014, 9:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery winners giving away money.

Topic closed. 76 replies. Last post 11 years ago by goose.

Page 1 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

Do you think lottery winners should give away a large portion of their winnings?

Yes, Didn't they teach you to share in school? [ 20 ]  [29.85%]
Maybe a little, for tax purposes [ 22 ]  [32.84%]
No, finders keepers, what's mine is mine [ 25 ]  [37.31%]
Total Valid Votes [ 67 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 8 ]  
Thomas Covenant's avatar - money
South Carolina
United States
Member #491
July 16, 2002
837 Posts
Posted: November 13, 2003, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

Most people think lottery winners should give away tons of money to charities, churches, friends, family, etc, what do you think?

Okay, now I believe you can predict lottery numbers

twisted's avatar - underground
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #2376
    September 25, 2003
    582 Posts
    Posted: November 13, 2003, 4:08 pm - IP Logged

Yeah "most people" who are jealous that you have money and they dont.  I wonder what those "most people" would do if they win it themselves.  Most probably KEEP IT TO THEMSELVES.

I would most probably donate alot of money over time if I won.  But definitely not because "most people" think I should.

JAP69's avatar - Lottery-053.jpg
      South Carolina
      United States
      Member #6
      November 4, 2001
      8511 Posts
      Posted: November 13, 2003, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

Watch the movie with Steve Martin I think it was [The Jerk]. He came into money and had people standing in line to get some. What happen in the end?

PS I have worked for a lot of people with money and 99% of them will nickle and dime you on your price quotes. Then try to beat you out of more when you give them the bill.

Stats hunting: Type

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        21579 Posts
        Posted: November 13, 2003, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

John,

I think that's because when you have money, you think everyone's trying to take it.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          7879 Posts
          Posted: November 13, 2003, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

As my rich uncle once said. I didn't get rich giving my money away. He wore holy pants and bought second hand clothes. The guy was a real piece of work. All I have to say is the rich will never need there money when there gone. What good is it if they have all this money and don't spread it around. Sure if you have a large family by all means take care of them. But who is going to need 100 mil when your retired with no family.

kbcherokee's avatar - buffalo2
            Virginia
            United States
            Member #1712
            June 20, 2003
            1549 Posts
            Posted: November 13, 2003, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

Tso-gali-I:

I think you have to search you're own mind and do what is right in your heart. The Great Spirit does say to help those who are in need. Eph. 4:28

Chief

May the warm winds of heaven blow softly upon your house. May  the Great Spirit bless all who enter there. May your mocassins make happy tracks in many snows. And may the rainbow always touch your shoulder.

luckycat's avatar - animaniacs24

United States
              Member #1687
              June 16, 2003
              1047 Posts
              Posted: November 13, 2003, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

JESUS SAID:

IT IS HARDER FOR A RICH MAN-TO GET INTO HEAVEN- THEN IT IS FOR A CAMEL TO GET THRU AN EYE OF A NEEDLE: unquote.

percy ross was a great rich man. he knew the wisdom of giving.

( IF i WON millions/ surely I would hunt down and give to the poor.not just on thanksgiving/ or chrismass/ but every day food and shelter.)  someday maybe I will be able to show you.

luckycat        >>>>>>>    purr-purr--purrfect                           

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                Pennsylvania
                United States
                Member #1340
                April 6, 2003
                2444 Posts
                Posted: November 14, 2003, 7:53 am - IP Logged

what's the point of winning if you should be expected to give most of it away?

Outside of a nice gift to the Shriners Children's Hospitals

http://www.shrinershq.org/

I think that given the 35% taxes that will mostly go to entitlements I'm not "demographically" entitled to... I'd say that's enough.... now a whittaker jackpot would be quite a different story...

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

visiondude's avatar - eye3logo
                  light on my feet
                  United States
                  Member #356
                  May 20, 2002
                  2744 Posts
                  Posted: November 14, 2003, 8:27 am - IP Logged

since a gift like that is not given to me JUST for me.......i would.

BUT.......on my terms and not the terms of others.  i have already graduated suma - cum - laude from the school of "thick skin"

i think it is a crime that people hoard money/things to themselves and dis-regard the needs of others in favor of "accumulating".  i also think it is a crime for people to expect someone to give them something for nothing.       

so i advocate a balance from both sides of that coin.  unfortuntely alot of people do not play "fair" with lottery winners.

since i cannot take it with me when i go,  the only thing that i will take with me is how i handled it.  i will have alot of fun,  invest wisely, set up an inheritance for my kids and give the correct amounts away that will insure that my good name stays intact.  thats how i will play the game.

"a good name is better than great riches"....

noonecanpossiblydetourmefrommyvision

"i am .........."meant to"       

P.S.,  that RJoH  is a stand up guy.  thanks,  vision

until further notice,  it's  france everyday

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    17933 Posts
                    Posted: November 14, 2003, 2:16 pm - IP Logged

Quote: Originally posted by Thomas Covenant on November 13, 2003

Most people think lottery winners should give away tons of money to charities, churches, friends, family, etc, what do you think?

The only people that think that are losers who are looking for something for nothing. If they ever won a lottery jackpot,giving their winnings away would be the last thing on their mind. People who share what they have with others don't need to win a lottery to do so.  There are lots of people out there asking for money and some of them even post their requests on this website.

http://donatemoney2me.com/

Winning a lottery jackpot shouldn't require a person to be responsible for for a whole new bunch of friends and strangers who want some money. There will always people asking for money regardless, I see some of them everyday and some even call me on the phone.

RJOh

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
                    * your best chance at winning a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
                         Wink 

chunnybunny29's avatar - friends

United States
                      Member #2782
                      November 14, 2003
                      20 Posts
                      Posted: November 14, 2003, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

I will give to the POOR.But I do live in a poor state...But again you may call me a softy.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif
                        Miss Kitty

United States
                        Member #14
                        November 9, 2001
                        27988 Posts
                        Posted: November 15, 2003, 8:29 am - IP Logged

when you give - you get.

love to nibble those micey feet.

visiondude's avatar - eye3logo
                          light on my feet
                          United States
                          Member #356
                          May 20, 2002
                          2744 Posts
                          Posted: November 15, 2003, 8:50 am - IP Logged

Quote:

"i am .........."meant to"       

P.S.,  that RJoH  is a stand up guy.  thanks,  vision

until further notice,  it's  france everyday

megamillionaire's avatar - Sphere animated_small_ neg2.gif
                            Queens, NY
                            United States
                            Member #245
                            April 15, 2002
                            451 Posts
                            Posted: November 15, 2003, 1:13 pm - IP Logged

What's with the finders keepers. You didn't find it, you paid for it by buying a tidket. Many of us have been playing for years like the retired police chief who had been playing his own numbers for 20 years and won the first time he bought a quick pick. Who knows how much he spent in the first 20 years.  Ergo, if you win it's because you played.

Have you all read the news item about the couple who won the 50 million (before taxes) who said they have had people asking them for money to pay off their homes, pay off business debts, add a wing to a church etc. etc. etc. I said if once before in a similar topic I never give to those who ask for something and the first folks who will see a penny from me are my immediate family and that's After I have taken care of my needs (not desires).

So if you win curb your desires to help or save the world and give because you wish to and not out of guilt because every time you didn't win someone esle did and some of the money they won came out of your pocket.

Megamillionaire

Time is a wonderful teacher, but it kills all its students.

A man must consider what a rich realm he leaves when he becomes a conformist.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              17933 Posts
                              Posted: November 16, 2003, 1:37 pm - IP Logged
                              Quote: Originally posted by megamillionaire on November 15, 2003

What's with the finders keepers. You didn't find it, you paid for it by buying a ticket. 

You do make a point.  Buying a lottery ticket and winning is kinda like going to work and finding a pay check in the mail later, you feel you've earned it and you don't feel like sharing it with the world when you got own problems. 

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
                              * your best chance at winning a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
                                   Wink