Welcome Guest
The time is now 7:37 pm
You last visited September 17, 2014, 7:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

To tax or not to tax

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Phokas.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
dphillips's avatar - littleuns
Albuquerque, New Mexico
United States
Member #5128
June 18, 2004
377 Posts
Posted: June 21, 2004, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

So many people will argue that taxing lottery winnings help maintain our state highways and other infrastructure.  However, I am not sure about that! On the other hand, why can't the federal, state, and city (where applicable) give  winners a break?  Perhaps, twice a year -- winners would not pay ANY TAXES!  That way, more players would play and the advertisement would pay for itself. 

Food for thought.  If you win, have you ever thought about leaving the United States for a country wherein your money can go along way?  Here again, what countries would be cheaper to live (other than Mexico)?

tn
    United States
    Member #2964
    December 7, 2003
    14 Posts
    Posted: June 22, 2004, 2:07 am - IP Logged

My husband and I have thought about moving somewhere else(overseas) to keep from paying all the taxes. I have thought about Australia or somewhere around there. Or canada. Or to a state that doesn't tax the heck out of winnings,if there are any left by the time i win,lol.

from S. FL currently in NETHERLANDS
      United States
      Member #5180
      June 22, 2004
      6 Posts
      Posted: June 22, 2004, 9:57 am - IP Logged

personally I don't feel the winnings should be taxed. most states already benefit from lottery players in the form of money for education, senior citizens fund or etc. so why should the government benefit from our lucky dollar?

from S. FL currently in NETHERLANDS
        United States
        Member #5180
        June 22, 2004
        6 Posts
        Posted: June 22, 2004, 10:02 am - IP Logged

also, not only do the us government tax lottery winnings won in the states but they will also tax winnings won in another country. the law states if your an american citizen you have to report worldwide income. is bad huh? i play the netherlands lotto here and when i do hit it i'll be waiting to fork over 25% to the us government. on a side note at least the netherlands government dont tax the lottery.

chicago
          United States
          Member #3676
          February 10, 2004
          404 Posts
          Posted: June 23, 2004, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

Seriously what in America isnt taxed.  Out of a dollar I bet you wind up with like 10 cents after your federal income tax, your state tax, your property tax, you sales tax, your tolls, and now tax on other things such as amusement or lottery winnings.  When does it end?

United States
            Member #5122
            June 18, 2004
            68 Posts
            Posted: June 23, 2004, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

I'm not sure why Americans think just by moving overseas you can avoid your tax liability. You would have to give up your Amercian citizenship and take on that of a foreign country (and you assume they would have you in the first place and that they don't tax their own people or do so at a much lower rate; which isn't always the case). Not even Americans serving in the military overseas are exempt from paying federal taxes (although some states do exempt but for active duty military only). Sure you can still move overseas but don't think the IRS won't be asking why someone and other members of the same family have suddenly stopped filing tax returns especially if it is known they are lottery winners. The IRS doesn't care where you live on this blue marble; you are still liable for paying your own taxes. Your best bet apart from ripping up your US passport in the face of one of our ambassadors is to find an account/lawyer that will help reduce your tax burden. If you still want to move to some second-rate, frightfully crass country like Oz then by all means go!