Welcome Guest
The time is now 2:59 am
You last visited October 26, 2014, 2:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Any tips on scratch offs

Topic closed. 63 replies. Last post 10 years ago by DoctorEw220.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
ONEDAY's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
OHIO
United States
Member #5328
June 30, 2004
1284 Posts
Posted: July 2, 2004, 1:49 am - IP Logged

I was thinking about playing, it seems $2 tickets are best bets, though $5 and $10 have slightly better odds..but what about those odds..1:4, does that mean in theory you will win 25 times out of 100..I have seen players at stores get 10 tickets and win nothing in a row. 

what about rolls, how many in a roll? 200 games? if 1 in 4 applies there should be 50 winners per roll, but probaly 40 of those wins are for $1 or $2.?

Should you buy more then a few tickets from the same game at the same time, or better to buy from differnt stores..also it seems the high traffic stores have the big winners..I know more people more tickets are sold, but i am thinking maybee the lottery rewards those stores with more sales with better rolls then say stores with smaller traffic?

If you had a $100 what would you do play instant or pick 4?

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    7884 Posts
    Posted: July 2, 2004, 2:51 am - IP Logged

It depends on the scratch of game as to whether or not to buy or play. Some scratch of games have lots of small high tear winning tickets.  Some games who have $1000 top prize they might have twenty of these tickets floating around in your state. Whereas the high tier 5 and 10 dollar tickets might only have one or two top tier prizes with smaller prizes thrown in. Scratch or odds are misleading because there could be eight winners in a row and twenty losers in a row. Winning at these games is more about being in the right place at the right time. I have seen a couple of old retirees who would buy whole books of tickets and scratch every ticket maybe they would win the money the spent and maybe not. These were 1 dollar tickets with a top tier prize of $1000. cost 100 dollars a book or roll. There might be anywhere from 1 million to ten million tickets printed for these smaller prizes. The only good thing about scratch off's is somebody dventually wins the top tier prize. Bad part is more people walk away with a looser. They are designed to generate large capital for the state.

If your good at picking numbers the pick 4 game and match 5 games is where the moneys at and of course megamill and powerball. 

OHIO
      United States
      Member #5328
      June 30, 2004
      1284 Posts
      Posted: July 7, 2004, 1:37 am - IP Logged

this game is 20 bucks..

WIN UP TO 15 TIMES!

If any one or more of YOUR NUMBERS match any of the WINNING NUMBERS, you win the prize shown below your matching number(s). Reveal a MONEYBAG symbol and win 10 that prize automatically! If you win, and the winning prize revealed is the LIFE symbol, you win $250,000 A YEAR FOR LIFE!

IMG height=12 alt=tpd_blink.gif 1340 bytes src= file:///K:/graphics/tpd_blink.gif">  -- face=Arial color=#0000ff TOP PRIZE DRAW INFORMATIon -- IMG height=12 alt=tpd_blink.gif 1340 bytes src= file:///K:/graphics/tpd_blink.gif"> 

Please Play Responsibly!

Overall odds of winning a prize:  1 in 3.18
      Percentage of payout:  73.47%

Ohio. thats a high payout!

have a great winning day!

pensacola
        United States
        Member #5439
        July 4, 2004
        28 Posts
        Posted: July 7, 2004, 3:13 am - IP Logged

There were no Powerball jackpot

Dayton, OH
          United States
          Member #2940
          December 4, 2003
          72 Posts
          Posted: July 7, 2004, 3:50 am - IP Logged

I don't play scratch-offs, you have no control over your choice of tickets. Your betting that the one retailer out of thousands that you are buying your tickets from has the big prize winner. If you plan on playing scratchies, check with your lottery commision to see what prizes have already been won. Why buy a scratch-off if the jackpot prize tickets have already been sold.

That some control if you're going to play any type of lottery. 

HiFi's avatar - police

United States
            Member #3792
            February 21, 2004
            197 Posts
            Posted: July 7, 2004, 5:53 am - IP Logged

i have a tip.. dont buy them

the prize amounts they have now dont even excite me.. its like 4 top prizes of 30,000 and everything else is 5,000 and lower.. they used to have 3 prizes of 50K, 25k and 10k.. apparently the lottery commission realized people dont like to buy a ticket after all the top prizes have been won. hence the new crappy prize layout

boston
              United States
              Member #5586
              July 12, 2004
              126 Posts
              Posted: July 15, 2004, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

Last week i went in a scratch ticket rage and spent $500. I bought 5 ten dollar tickets and only got 10 bucks back. Then i got a lot of 5 dollar tickets and got almoast nothing. This is definitly not a good time to play scratch in Massachusetts. There is nothing out there mayby during christmas there will be some prizes around.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                21585 Posts
                Posted: July 15, 2004, 2:01 pm - IP Logged

I generally don't buy

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                Help eliminate computerized drawings!

OHIO
                  United States
                  Member #4164
                  March 27, 2004
                  11169 Posts
                  Posted: July 15, 2004, 2:34 pm - IP Logged

People have luck at different things, take those scratch offs with game show wins for money prizes and you see people who have been on the show more than once and here you've maybe sent in tickets and never had one ticket chosen, or you see someone on there who says they sent in only one ticket and it was picked, I think it's a luck thing, that's not meant for everyone. I've read the odds on the back also and can but 20.00 worth and never get a winner.

"I am what I am by the grace of God."

Kitfany

http://www.ohiolottery.com/

OHIO
                    United States
                    Member #5328
                    June 30, 2004
                    1284 Posts
                    Posted: July 15, 2004, 2:38 pm - IP Logged
                    Quote: Originally posted by tony2222 on July 15, 2004

Last week i went in a scratch ticket rage and spent $500. I bought 5 ten dollar tickets and only got 10 bucks back. Then i got a lot of 5 dollar tickets and got almoast nothing. This is definitly not a good time to play scratch in Massachusetts. There is nothing out there mayby during christmas there will be some prizes around.

wow..the most I could ever spend is 5-$2 tickets!

have a great winning day!

United States
                      Member #379
                      June 5, 2002
                      11296 Posts
                      Posted: July 19, 2004, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

Scratch tickets actually have the highest payback % of lottery games (not counting video lottery, etc.) Just make sure you avoid ANNUITY-ONLY scratches (still a big problem in NY and Massachusetts).

Waltham, Ma.
                        United States
                        Member #5658
                        July 15, 2004
                        14 Posts
                        Posted: July 19, 2004, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

Many different theory's on scratch tickets. All of the above are valid points on the subject. it comes down to the right place at the right time. the overall odds of say 1 in 4 is a winner, is based upon the TOTAL number of wining tickets (whether it's a dollar, or two, five, ten, twenty, etc) VS. the total number of tickets produced. That does not mean there will be a definate winner each four tickets. I live in Mass. and play pretty heavily, so heavily in fact, that I have bought at least 30 books over the years of all different denominations and entered all the results in my computer on a spreadsheet. One thing I can tell you is that it is NOT random!!! They know exactly what they are putting in each book. I can tell you that there is a 90% chance of getting the following winners if you buy a 10 dollar book of scratch tickets in MA. which consists of 100 tickets. total cost $1,000.00: you will get 27 winning tickets comprised of 10 ten dollar winners, 5 fifteen dollar winners, 8 twenty dollar winners, 2 forty dollar winners, 1 fifty dollar winner, and 1 hundred dollar winner. for a grand total back of $565.00 total. So your average loss on a ten dollar book is $435.00.  Approximately one out of every ten consecutive books will have a winner larger than 100.00 and when it does happen, it could either take the place of a lower tier prize in the book, ie: only 9 ten dollar tickets instead of 10. or it could be in addition to. I have had both. I have seen 15 losers in a row, and I have seen 5 winners in a row. You're best chance of increasing your odds on scratch tickets is if you work in a store, and can keep track of the customers buying a lot of a particular game and not winning, then try them yourself, but beware, if just one customer walks out without scratching first, there goes your tracking. :)

Ms. Pat's avatar - Lottery-032.jpg
                          Fayetteville, Georgia
                          United States
                          Member #3593
                          February 2, 2004
                          2122 Posts
                          Posted: July 20, 2004, 12:06 am - IP Logged

I don't do Scratch Offs

Ms. Pat

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                            Yinzer Country, PA
                            United States
                            Member #4067
                            March 18, 2004
                            2733 Posts
                            Posted: July 20, 2004, 12:18 am - IP Logged

one night at my old work, a lady bought approx. $550 worth of tickets "looking for the $100 winner". she wound up winning back $235.  net loss for her of $315.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                              Yinzer Country, PA
                              United States
                              Member #4067
                              March 18, 2004
                              2733 Posts
                              Posted: July 20, 2004, 12:19 am - IP Logged

one night at my old work, a lady bought approx. $550 worth of tickets ($5 and 10 tickets) "looking for the $100 winner". she wound up winning back $235.  net loss for her of $315.  long story short, don't spend more than $3 on a ticket.  This lady bought almost 2 books of this one game.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.