Welcome Guest
The time is now 11:09 am
You last visited October 30, 2014, 11:08 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Anonymous winner in South Carolina?!?!?

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 10 years ago by DoctorEw220.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
460 Posts
Posted: July 8, 2004, 9:52 am - IP Logged

I thought that only Delaware permits winners to remain anonymous.  But on the Powerball website, it says "Anonymous" for the South Carolina winner.  But in most states, the only way to remain anonymous is through a trust.  Is it fair for the other Powerball winners who are hounded by the press for someone else from a state other than Delaware to be anonymous?

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

Southeast USA
    United States
    Member #3660
    February 9, 2004
    65 Posts
    Posted: July 8, 2004, 11:41 am - IP Logged

Of course it is fair for them to remain anonymous. The woman didn't want all the hoopla surrounding her win and she should have that right. However, there are some states (Virgina, Illnois, etc) where she would NEVER be able to get away with being anonymous. Anyone who gets a check (even if it's a partnership, trust, etc) has to go before the public and their pictures will be on the lotto website. They exploit like crazy cause they figure the public should have the right to know. Only thing I can say is thank goodness not all of the states are like that.....

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
      Member #567
      August 14, 2002
      460 Posts
      Posted: July 8, 2004, 11:52 am - IP Logged
      Quote: Originally posted by ThinkBig on July 08, 2004

Of course it is fair for them to remain anonymous. The woman didn't want all the hoopla surrounding her win and she should have that right. However, there are some states (Virgina, Illnois, etc) where she would NEVER be able to get away with being anonymous. Anyone who gets a check (even if it's a partnership, trust, etc) has to go before the public and their pictures will be on the lotto website. They exploit like crazy cause they figure the public should have the right to know. Only thing I can say is thank goodness not all of the states are like that.....

State lawmakers want the winner's identity to be public so that the general public can be assured that the prize money is going to a real person.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
        Yinzer Country, PA
        United States
        Member #4067
        March 18, 2004
        2733 Posts
        Posted: July 8, 2004, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

Even if you can't remain annonymous, how hard is it to change your appearance?  These figures are approximations.  30 min. to dye your hair.  Mine has been several colors this year alone (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Blonde, Black (which it is currently), and Brown).  15 min. to shave a mustache or beard off.  1-3 days to grow a mustache or beard.  30 seconds to change clothes.  1 year for a gender reassignment surgery.  It isn't that hard to change your apearance to make people not recognize you as the winner. 

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Southeast USA
          United States
          Member #3660
          February 9, 2004
          65 Posts
          Posted: July 8, 2004, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

DoctorEW220 says "1 year for a gender reassignment surgery"

I don't know about that one. lol

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
            Pennsylvania
            United States
            Member #1340
            April 6, 2003
            2444 Posts
            Posted: July 8, 2004, 10:09 pm - IP Logged

Gender reassignment surgery

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
              Yinzer Country, PA
              United States
              Member #4067
              March 18, 2004
              2733 Posts
              Posted: July 8, 2004, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

my uncle bob becams my aunt angela in less than a year.  i call her "uncle boobs".  anyway, if you go to canada to get it done, you can bypass the required 1 year wait for the surgery.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.