Welcome Guest
The time is now 2:07 am
You last visited November 1, 2014, 1:49 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Winners Remaining Anonymous.

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 10 years ago by dphillips.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Should lottery winners be allowed to remain anonymous?

Yes. [ 28 ]  [80.00%]
No. [ 3 ]  [8.57%]
To an extent. [ 4 ]  [11.43%]
Total Valid Votes [ 35 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  
DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
Yinzer Country, PA
United States
Member #4067
March 18, 2004
2733 Posts
Posted: July 9, 2004, 8:44 pm - IP Logged

Since the South Carolina Powerball Winner asked to remain anonymous, here's a new poll.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Yinzer Country, PA
    United States
    Member #4067
    March 18, 2004
    2733 Posts
    Posted: July 9, 2004, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

I think tey should be allowed to remain anonymous to an extent, such as what most states do currently.  They offer the winner the option to decline a press conference, which some winners take, but their information (name, city, etc.) becomes public domain.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Morrison, IL
      United States
      Member #4657
      May 13, 2004
      1867 Posts
      Posted: July 9, 2004, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

The Illinois lottery does require you to participate in a press conference if you win a Mega Millions jackpot (I think).  The Iowa lottery does not even if you win a Powerball jackpot though.  These rules vary by the individual state.

Yinzer Country, PA
        United States
        Member #4067
        March 18, 2004
        2733 Posts
        Posted: July 9, 2004, 9:18 pm - IP Logged

remember that the lotteries want to prove to the public that people are actually winning these jackpots.

whodeani's avatar - lightening

United States
          Member #2484
          October 9, 2003
          212 Posts
          Posted: July 9, 2004, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

The idea that lotteries want to prove that people are winning jackpots by holding press conferences is a bunch of bunk in my opinion. Most states have a freedom of information law of some sort. Just make the winner's name and city public domain. The media or whoever can request to have the winner's name released and it can be checked out to see if this person really exists. The winner doesn't have to be marched out in front of a bunch of cameras and media types if he or she doesn't want to.

United States
            Member #5453
            July 5, 2004
            135 Posts
            Posted: July 10, 2004, 12:11 am - IP Logged

i  feel a lotto winner safety is very important. there are a lot of crazy people out there

if i ever win.  on my to do list must have  4 bodygaurds for myself and one gaurd each of my siblings and parents (armed) and top line former CIA / FBI agents

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
              Member #567
              August 14, 2002
              460 Posts
              Posted: July 12, 2004, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

Actually, the lawyer was present with the winner at the state lottery office, so the lawyer probably claimed the prize on her behalf with her present.  You can have the lawyer claim the prize.  In 2003, the Powerball website listed "Cello Investments, LLC" as one of the winners of the February 22, 2003 drawing.  But there were no details of how the prize was claimed.  Who knows?  Maybe a trust was formed, but the woman probably didn't want the name of the trust to be shown.  That has happened before in the past.  Several times, the MUSL Powerball website would say Unknown or Anonymous for a state outside of Delaware (where winners can ALWAYS be anonymous), but it was allowed because a lawyer was allowed to claim the prize on behalf of the client.  If I ever won it, I wouldn't even want the name of the trust to be shown.  I would want it to just say "Anonymous".

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

MetroPlex's avatar - 619631
                Richmond, VA
                United States
                Member #5360
                July 1, 2004
                93 Posts
                Posted: July 12, 2004, 12:30 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't care. You can always move and change your name...actually you should move and get new unlisted numbers and stuff before you claim your prize.

MP

Putting The Damage On.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                  MD
                  United States
                  Member #1701
                  June 18, 2003
                  7886 Posts
                  Posted: July 12, 2004, 1:51 pm - IP Logged
                  Quote: Originally posted by DoctorEw220 on July 09, 2004

remember that the lotteries want to prove to the public that people are actually winning these jackpots.

They prove that the lottery has been won every time it starts out from the beginning amount.

Under no circumstance should a winner have to advertise that they hit the jackpot. With so many wacko's out there it should be a responsibility of the state to offer some kind of protection to it's jackpot winners. Until they are able to get some security of their own. I know here in Maryland the lottery officials the governor and mayor bend over backwards to help the jackpot winners. Mainly because they want the winner to remain in the state so they will spread some of the funds around and reap any additional taxes in the following years.

Southeast USA
                    United States
                    Member #3660
                    February 9, 2004
                    65 Posts
                    Posted: July 12, 2004, 5:54 pm - IP Logged
                    Quote: Originally posted by goldeneye26 on July 12, 2004

Actually, the lawyer was present with the winner at the state lottery office, so the lawyer probably claimed the prize on her behalf with her present.  You can have the lawyer claim the prize.  In 2003, the Powerball website listed "Cello Investments, LLC" as one of the winners of the February 22, 2003 drawing.  But there were no details of how the prize was claimed.  Who knows?  Maybe a trust was formed, but the woman probably didn't want the name of the trust to be shown.  That has happened before in the past.  Several times, the MUSL Powerball website would say Unknown or Anonymous for a state outside of Delaware (where winners can ALWAYS be anonymous), but it was allowed because a lawyer was allowed to claim the prize on behalf of the client.  If I ever won it, I wouldn't even want the name of the trust to be shown.  I would want it to just say "Anonymous".

Certainly I understand your point about wanting to be "Anonymous," but if the media has the name of the trust and a little bit of info about the winner's winning experience, etc then this just may satisfy the public and the media. Without this little bit of info, the public and media become more relentless in the persuit to find out all they can about the "mystery" person when there is just Anonymous listed. As for me, I would just get a lawyer to form a trust and I would give him/her my brief testimony and then let the lawyer claim my jackpot.
                      lawrenceville ga
                      United States
                      Member #2445
                      October 4, 2003
                      25 Posts
                      Posted: July 12, 2004, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

do a name change before collecting----lawyers don't get a cent from me

dphillips's avatar - littleuns
                        Albuquerque, New Mexico
                        United States
                        Member #5128
                        June 18, 2004
                        377 Posts
                        Posted: July 12, 2004, 9:53 pm - IP Logged

You damn right!  How dare the lottery officials expose people like an open meat market!  Absolutely, in some states, too much information: your picture, name, city, and state plastered so the hustlers and pimps can prey on unsuspecting victims, the lottery winners!

Perhaps, most people wouldn't mind the publicity if the John Q. public would use their common sense (that's asking too much, right), and stop asking for handouts: only the family should take that chance, not strangers! So, my response to those 'give-me-because-I-deserve-it' idiots is: "all you need is a $1.00 and a dream!" 

I'm certain you are aware approximately 40 or even 50 years ago, people wanted to earn their way because they were too embarrassed to ask for handouts.  Of course, there weren't lotteries of this magnitude, either. There were people who would rather die than seek any kind of public assistance.  Absolutely no handouts, please!  They would rather do a day's work.  Now, it seems that most people want to take, take, and take what you have, i.e., lottery winners' earnings.  People forget: even lottery players have to fork over money -- the officials just don't hand it over to you.

Finally, lottery players, if at all possible, should demand annonymity.  As far as I'm concerned, it's your right which has nothing to do with the Patriot's Act. The federal government, the state government, the city government, or the county government are getting too involved in people's private affairs, including your money!

dphillips (Blue)