Welcome Guest
The time is now 6:13 am
You last visited April 16, 2014, 6:10 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

quick pick vs. your own numbers

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 9 years ago by LOTTOMIKE.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11334 Posts
Posted: October 15, 2004, 2:59 am - IP Logged

i was wondering if someone could help me with this question...on things such as picking five numbers on state lotteries and also powerball,do people ever win picking their own numbers??  it seems like everytime i see a powerball winner even if its a 100,000 winner they always win with a quick pick.........just joined so hello to everyone

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
    Member #91
    January 19, 2002
    9667 Posts
    Posted: October 15, 2004, 10:08 am - IP Logged

There have been numerous conversations about it...(use search icon on top of page).  Yes it is true that 70-75% of the winners use quick pick...only because 70-75% choose quick pick options......most of the big winners are quick picks because thats when alot more people buy a ticket or two on their way home, and you have alot more pools involved,,,if you look at the smaller jackpot prize hits you'll see thats its usually more people picking their own numbers....

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      7747 Posts
      Posted: October 15, 2004, 10:45 am - IP Logged
       think it's more quick picks because people buy more quick picks. Lot of people don't take the time to fill out a card/playslip. Everybody's always in a hurry to get from one place to another. And when you fill out a play slip with a pencil if you didn't make the selections dark enough or filled out the card wrong the machine won't accept it and the line stops and people start complaining. And if your the one at the front of the counter you have to correct the card go back to the back of the line and wait another twenty minutes to get to the front of the line. It just easier for people to ask for a quick pick. With so many people buying quick picks the number range gets spread out across the whole spectrum of numbers that can be played and stands to good reason many of them might be winners.

If you like picking your own numbers be prepared get some play slips ahead of time and use a black magic marker to fill out the play slip. I have never had a card reader reject a play slip that was filled out correctly and marked with a magic marker.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
        BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
        Dump Water Florida
        United States
        Member #380
        June 5, 2002
        2846 Posts
        Posted: October 15, 2004, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

When it comes to quickpicks . . .

There is no number of quickpicks you can buy that will guarantee a prize.

There is no number of quickpicks you can buy that must include all the numbers.

There is no number of quickpicks you can buy that will guarantee a jackpot not even if you buy 13.9 million of them for a 6/49 game.

On the other hand you can make your own luck with just one well chosen combination.  BobP

Tennessee
          United States
          Member #7853
          October 15, 2004
          11334 Posts
          Posted: October 16, 2004, 4:11 am - IP Logged

i think quick picks are good but i also think you have a good chance to if you pick a few numbers and play them over a period of time to see if they pan out or not.......

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
            Dump Water Florida
            United States
            Member #380
            June 5, 2002
            2846 Posts
            Posted: October 17, 2004, 3:41 am - IP Logged

Talking standard 6/49 game.  If you buy ten quickpicks the hyper geometric distribution of numbers chosen by a random process suggests about one third of the numbers chosen will appear twice, one third once and one third not at all.

This means you will have about 36 of the 49 numbers amoung your tickets and when you play 36 out of 49 numbers you can generally expect to have 4 of the 6 winning numbers among them unless you have a process that accurately predicts winning numbers in a reduced field.  A jackpot isn't just unlikely, it's impossible !!!

If instead you make up a minimum number of lines using all the numbers, when the draw is held only six of the lines or less can contain winning numbers so in reality you are playing a 6/36 game with all the winning numbers among your lines. 

Now 6/36 is the worst you can do and of course you don't win anything, but it does show the true odds of the strategy sweeping millions of combinations off the table.  Once you have all the winning numbers among 36 the odds of having more then one of the winning numbers on a line are greatly improved, even of winning a jackpot.

Of course the overall odds haven't changed we had to toss some lines we paid for to get this improvement, but how many tickets are loosers to our winners anyway?  Better to toss a few to gain position then toss them for no value added.

Most people, software and systems can't predict winning numbers worth a darn so why bother when you can play all the numbers.  Turn the problem away from the impossible and study number positioning, gaps, how winning combinations are structured. 

Turning the mind to how often each number appears by position in the combination is far more productive then predicting them.  For example I know 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 never appear in the first position and how often has 43? 

You find there are several kinds of drawings, some where the first number drawn is below 10, others where it is between 10 and 20 and fewer where the first is higher then 20, it isn't hard to see where a second set of backup lines should begin excluding 01-09.  Spend a little time looking at this history and it should start to make sense. BobP

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
              Yinzer Country, PA
              United States
              Member #4067
              March 18, 2004
              2732 Posts
              Posted: October 17, 2004, 4:55 am - IP Logged

i figure a nice blend of hand-picked sets and quick picks can't do you wrong.  the reason i use quick picks is that if the lottery picks the numbers "at random", then why shouldn't you pick a few numbers "at random".

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Tennessee
                United States
                Member #7853
                October 15, 2004
                11334 Posts
                Posted: October 17, 2004, 5:30 am - IP Logged

when i first trie

JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
                  Member #5599
                  July 13, 2004
                  1148 Posts
                  Posted: October 17, 2004, 12:15 pm - IP Logged

Hmmmmmmmm,

Educated guess vs Dumb luck.

I do both on Supperlotto, 3 educated guesses and 1 dumb luck pick, just in case its my day.

You are a slave to the choices you have made.  jk

Even a blind squirrel will occasioanlly find an acorn.

Justin's avatar - hatchap
                    Stevens Point
                    United States
                    Member #6457
                    August 24, 2004
                    3030 Posts
                    Posted: October 17, 2004, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

I was using a trial program from Mike K's website a while ago that claimed to predict 5 ball numbers. Well i found it had terrible results for the next drawing, however, when i would try to predict 2 drawings away almost everytime one (or more) of the 20 or 40 lines would have 4 of the 5 numbers, i guess a big gambler could really profit from that, if it was consistent, it worked about 4 out of 7 times.

I believe life is about finding someone you cant live without

And showing them how much you care every day of every month of every year

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                      Tx
                      United States
                      Member #4570
                      May 4, 2004
                      5180 Posts
                      Posted: October 17, 2004, 9:56 pm - IP Logged

If you don't know how to pick your own combos, then by all means if you have to buy, then buy quick picks.

On the other hand, if you really know how to pick your numbers do so and never, but never buy quick picks, they would be just a waste of your money, well picked numbers will more often (but not always) do better.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

Tennessee
                        United States
                        Member #7853
                        October 15, 2004
                        11334 Posts
                        Posted: October 18, 2004, 6:20 am - IP Logged

putting it 50/50

Tennessee
                          United States
                          Member #7853