Texas man pleads guilty to fraud in lottery scandal case
Insider Buzz: Texas man pleads guilty to fraud in lottery scandal caseRating:
DES MOINES, Iowa — A Texas businessman has pleaded guilty to fraud and admitted to helping lottery computer technician Eddie Tipton cash jackpots in a multi-state number-fixing scheme that netted $2 million.
Robert Rhodes pleaded guilty in a Des Moines courtroom Monday. Iowa prosecutors will seek two years of probation.
Rhodes says he helped Tipton try to cash a $16.5 million 2010 Iowa Hot Lotto ticket but suspicious officials never paid.
Rhodes agreed to testify against Tipton and his brother, Tommy Tipton. They're charged in Iowa for tinkering with computers to make lottery numbers predictable in Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma and Wisconsin games. They deny the charges.
Rhodes says he'll also plead guilty in Wisconsin where he'll likely get six months in jail and a requirement to repay $391,500, half of a 2007 Megabucks jackpot.
Timeline of the biggest crime in US lottery history
The following is a compilation of Lottery Post news coverage chronicling the Hot Lotto mystery and subsequently discovered crime.
We start the timeline with a news story indicating that only 3 months remained for the $16 million Hot Lotto jackpot to be claimed.
- Iowa Lottery security chief bent on determining identity of jackpot winner, Jan. 10, 2012
- NY lawyer in lottery mystery travels to Iowa this week, Jan. 17, 2012
- Iowa Lottery security chief to grill NY lawyer over Hot Lotto ticket, Jan. 17, 2012
- Representative of Hot Lotto winner named in lawsuit, Jan. 20, 2012
- Hot Lotto trust representative won't name winner, Jan. 20, 2012
- Iowa Lottery threatens to deny jackpot payout if winner stays anonymous, Jan. 23, 2012
- Lawyer gives up $14 million Iowa lottery ticket claim, Jan. 26, 2012
- $14.3 million Hot Lotto prize claim withdrawn, Jan. 27, 2012
- Iowa Legislators satisfied with Lottery's handling of mystery jackpot winner, Feb. 1, 2012
- Iowa Lottery to give away millions from jackpot mystery, Feb. 26, 2012
- Iowa Lottery director: 50-50 that Hot Lotto mystery will be solved, Aug. 9, 2012
- Iowa officials trying to solve lotto mystery, may release surveillance video, Aug. 19, 2012
- MUSL employee arrested in Hot Lotto jackpot mystery, Jan. 15, 2015
- BOMBSHELL: MUSL employee might have rigged Hot Lotto computerized drawing, Apr. 13, 2015
- Texas man charged in Iowa lottery case contests extradition, Apr. 20, 2015
- Extradition trial begins this week in $16.5M Hot Lotto fraud case, Jun. 7, 2015
- Inside the biggest lottery scam ever, Jul. 7, 2015
- Trial underway in world's biggest lottery fraud case, Jul. 14, 2015
- Lottery security chief: Rigging computerized game "sadly" possible, Jul. 15, 2015
- Prosecution rests in Hot Lotto trial, Jul. 16, 2015
- Defense quickly wraps up in Hot Lotto trial, Jul. 16, 2015
- Hot Lotto case moves to jury for deliberations, Jul. 17, 2015
- Former lottery security employee guilty of rigging $14.3M drawing, Jul. 20, 2015
- MUSL security worker who rigged drawing gets 10 years, Sep. 9, 2015
- HOT LOTTO DRAWING CHEAT CHARGED WITH RIGGING MORE JACKPOTS, Oct. 9, 2015
- Texas authorities had previously investigated brother of lottery cheat, Oct. 14, 2015
- Another $1.2M Hot Lotto jackpot rigged by Tipton, officials say, Nov. 21, 2015
- Jackpot-fixing investigation expands to more state lotteries, Dec. 18, 2015
- Prosecutors say Tipton rigged two jackpots he purchased tickets for in Kansas, Dec. 21, 2015
- Maine gives names of Hot Lotto winners to Iowa team looking into rigging scheme, Dec. 23, 2015
- S.C. Lottery assures public no computerized drawings used in state, Dec. 23, 2015
- Kansas lottery players questioning game's integrity, Dec. 23, 2015
- MUSL CHIEF OUSTED OVER JACKPOT-RIGGING SCANDAL, Dec. 23, 2015
- Lottery scandal unlikely to affect New Mexico, official says, Dec. 26, 2015
- Tipton granted delay in next trial until July, Dec. 29, 2015
- Iowa Lottery CEO Terry Rich to answer lottery player questions live Monday evening, Jan. 11, 2016
- First lawsuit in state lottery-fixing scandal seeks millions, Feb. 4, 2016
- MUSL seeks to dismiss lawsuit over rigged jackpot, Apr. 1, 2016
- Lottery scammer's brother facing criminal charges, Apr. 6, 2016
- Investigators find Tipton's software code to rig computerized lottery drawings, Apr. 7, 2016
- Lottery rigging scandal prompts security audit in South Dakota, Apr. 13, 2016
- Preliminary hearing rescheduled for Tommy Tipton in lottery rigging case, Apr. 22, 2016
- Third suspect surrenders in national lottery rigging scandal, Apr. 28, 2016
- Lottery scam investigation comes to Tennessee, May 11, 2016
- Investigators find another friend of Tipton who cashed rigged lottery prize, May 11, 2016
- Convicted computerized drawing fraudster argues Iowa court appeal, Jun. 16, 2016
- US Senate panel demands info in lottery scandal, Jun. 22, 2016
- Lottery rigging trial to be moved out of Des Moines, Jun. 27, 2016
- Eddie Tipton's new trial delayed until 2017, Jul. 1, 2016
- Iowa court reverses part of Tipton's lottery fraud conviction, Jul. 28, 2016
- Internal investigation concludes Tipton acted alone to rig lottery drawings, Aug. 10, 2016
- Prosecutors say 2 more men may be linked to lottery riggings, Aug. 24, 2016
- Judge: winner's lawsuit in lottery-fixing case can continue, Oct. 13, 2016
- Alleged lottery scandal conspirator to enter new plea, Nov. 14, 2016
- Accused lottery rigger Eddie Tipton facing new Wisconsin charges, Dec. 22, 2016
(Click to display full-size in gallery)
AP, Lottery Post Staff
We'd love to see your comments here! Register for a FREE membership — it takes just a few moments — and you'll be able to post comments here and on any of our forums. If you're already a member, you can Log In to post a comment.
11 comments. Last comment 14 hours ago by .
August 3, 2013
|Posted: January 11, 2017, 4:58 pm - IP Logged|
No honor among Lottery thieves.
May 21, 2007
|Posted: January 11, 2017, 5:04 pm - IP Logged|
String them all up by thar toes
April 2, 2010
|Posted: January 11, 2017, 5:32 pm - IP Logged|
what a bunch of bull............. got away with hardly a slap on the hand.. our laws suck for lottery crooks.
November 4, 2011
|Posted: January 11, 2017, 5:40 pm - IP Logged|
Tipton brothers are pleading not guilty and Robert Rhodes who helped Tipton collect on the winnings is going to testify against Tipton. Hmmmmmm wonder who is lying?
October 16, 2008
|Posted: January 11, 2017, 6:51 pm - IP Logged|
They couldn't be happy having a good job ............
dpoly1 - Playing the lottery to save the jobs of those that build, transport, sell & maintain luxury items! -
Eschew Poverty ........... Vote Conservative!
Bay Area - California
December 12, 2012
|Posted: January 11, 2017, 7:17 pm - IP Logged|
It's all about saving one's own skin by making a deal. In other words being prepared to fall on one's own sword if need be . Another Robert that can't be trusted.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.
January 3, 2012
|Posted: January 11, 2017, 7:35 pm - IP Logged|
What a bunch of ham-fisted morons. I'm not even slightly larcenous, and I bet I could come up with a better cash-in scheme than what these idiots tried; I particularly enjoyed the attorney claiming to lottery officials that "we'll give all the money to charity" if they'd only approve the claim...
January 2, 2015
|Posted: January 11, 2017, 7:51 pm - IP Logged|
They couldn't be happy having a good job ............
March 18, 2009
|Posted: January 12, 2017, 2:25 pm - IP Logged|
Robert Rhodes sure did get sued for a few different things during these past 12 years!
Having several millions of dollars in my financial accounts means receiving several valuable services each day!
February 4, 2010
|Posted: January 15, 2017, 12:56 pm - IP Logged|
All of this scandal B/S would end if they would bring back the numbered balls!!!
November 12, 2009
|Posted: Today, 3:24 am - IP Logged|
Bunch of thugs the judicial system is a freaking joke.