$14 million Illinois lottery jackpot expires

Feb 2, 2005, 1:06 pm (142 comments)

Illinois Lottery

A $14 million Illinois Lottery jackpot went unclaimed Monday, making it the largest pot in the state's history where no one came forward to say, "I won the lotto!"

The money will be given to the State Common School Fund, which supports public education programs.

A midnight deadline to claim the jackpot expired, despite an aggressive local and national television campaign to find the winner, Illinois Lottery Supt. Carolyn Adams said.

Lottery winners have one year to claim their prize. Previously, the largest unclaimed jackpot was $6 million in September 2000.

"It's really unfortunate because when our players play the game, we really want them to take advantage of the winnings," Adams said.

More than 40 people called to try to cash in and three submitted claim forms, but no one was able to provide the actual ticket or serial number to prove they were the real winner, Adams said.

The Gas City station in Frankfort that sold the winning ticket, with the numbers 14-23-24-36-37-50, collected $140,000, 1 percent of the ticket's value.

In light of this record breaking unclaimed prize, the Illinois Lottery suggested the following tips for players to ensure that a prize this large never goes unclaimed again:

1. Keep your tickets in a safe place. One of the most common reasons for missing out on prize winnings is losing a ticket. Try to pick one consistent place where you always keep your tickets so you won't forget where you placed them. Also make sure that this place is secure and away from clutter where the ticket could be easily confused with miscellaneous paper set for disposal.
  2. Check your tickets against the winning numbers shortly after your purchase. By not letting long periods of time lapse between purchasing a ticket and checking for the winning numbers, you cut down on the risk of forgetting about the ticket or misplacing it.  This can also help to prevent frantic last minute searches as expiration dates can quickly sneak up on winners if they are not mindful.
  3. Honor ticket agreements if more than one party is involved. Another common reason for players to miss out on prize winnings is when they become locked into long, unfriendly disputes over who has the rights to the winning ticket. If you buy a ticket as part of an office pool, or a group of friends, make sure to predefine and agree on how the winnings will be split. The same applies for divorce proceedings.

Lottery Post Staff

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

fja's avatarfja

somewhere in this world is a lonely 2 or 3 line lottery ticket sitting in a glove compartment, or in a pile of papers, or in a purse hanging in a closet, or strapped to a sun visor by a rubberband .....just waiting to be checked before they discard it....and the look on that persons face when he does check it will be...... like The coyote when over shoots the curve on the mountain road and has stopped in mid air and faces the camera......and has just enough time to wave goodbye...before he plummets to the bottom.... 

gbjm04

Not so fast look at the post from January 26th....to be continued

Maverick's avatarMaverick

More than 40 swindlers, um I mean people

CASE CLOSED... unless the ticket walks into the Lotery office by itself, and you can change Lottery rules.

Phokas

I hope it wasn't a case of someone glancing at their numbers and thinking they were wrong or checking them against an incorrect newspaper/webpage print out of the numbers and then throwing the ticket out. Powerball's website carries the caveat: "Every attempt is made to ensure that this list of numbers is accurate..."

But mistakes are bound to happen now and then.

I always check mine visually and for added security have them checked again at the terminal when I go to buy new numbers. It would be a shame to miss out on a fortune, or any amount for that matter, because of someone else's mistake.

bbar3bie

This ticket is in the hands of lawyers...........to be continued.

jamescase5

Ticket is in the hands of lawyers? JUST WONDERING WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THAT???????

Quote: Originally posted by bbar3bie on February 3, 2005

This ticket is in the hands of lawyers...........to be continued.

ent ... um I mean bbar3bie. You had said that the ticket is in a safe deposit box, then lost, then destroyed... now lawyers have it. Claim-deadline is over.

CASE CLOSED

fja's avatarfja

Alright! I haven't seen a good controversy since Alicia Battle claimed to have lost the ticket in a parking lot in Cleveland,,,,I'm ready....this is going to be good....somebody hit the play button....

Todd's avatarTodd

I agree that the case is closed.

So what if it's "in the hands of lawyers?"  It is a worthless scrap of paper now.  It should be "in the recycle bin of lawyers".

jamescase5

Did the person who claims to be the winner produce the serial number at least?

gbjm04

I have a question for anyone out there.....does anyone have a losing lotto ticket from January 2004?  There is valuable information on anyone of those tickets which may be worth something to you....email it to me at gbjm04 on yahoo and I will email you back with the valuable information!! Thanks!

gbjm04

BTW the case is far from closed you will see

jamescase5

It seems to me that if someone is insistent about something like this, and given the fact that one can go to prison for many years if found lying about a winning ticket, one would back down after a first try with a invalid ticket. If what gbjm says is true, I stand behind her, or whoever. JAMES

I believe this may be truth.

jamescase5

NOT SO FAST GUYS a old man lost his ticket after falling, sued the state and won 6 million!!! And the state actually WANTS you to file against them so a judge can overrule there tight guidelines!

No offense, but please provide the article where an old man lost his ticket after falling, sued the state and won 6 million. Thank you.

jamescase5

Mav you baby, you say something rude to me and block the email. Grow up you creep, you provide proof for your argument first. I dont reveal my sources. Believe what you will. But get off my back!

LMAO !!! That made my day!

Ok lemme get technical. Why do you PM me with this useless information, instead of posting it in public? I blocked your email cos the CASE is CLOSED, "as you will see". Provide proof for my arguement? I have no arguement lol. You and a couple of others are saying "wait and see", but when I nicely ask for the article to prove the old man story it is you who is the baby. You don't reveal your sources? Whatta cop-out. If you don't reveal your sources, then please come back to this post when what you're saying finally comes to being true. Do you understand that, or do I have to get primitive and create hand signals for you?

Also prove where I am getting on your back. I believe this is called replying to a thread. Thank you. Now you get off my back. That is why I blocked your PM's. DUHHH.

Quote: Originally posted by jamescase5 on February 11, 2005

Mav you baby, you say something rude to me

... and stop making up more lies. I had missed where you said that before. I just caught it.

I DID NOT get rude. Before I blocked you, my reply to you via PM said "CASE is CLOSED". That is all it said. If you wanna see that as rude, that's you.

jamescase5

well, its funny how the people on here seem so sure to try to beat another person down, now you are telling me you want proof of my story, seems to me NO ONE CAN PROVE THE CASE IS CLOSED! Do you know you can take them to court? DID YOU KNOW THAT? I dont need proof, if you dont believe me, call the lottery commission yourself. I dont care if you believe me or not, I could care less. BUT YOU PROVE NOW THAT THE CASE IS CLOSED COME ON PROVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU CANT BECAUSE YOU DONT HAVE A CLUE!!!!!!!!!

gbjm04

Listen everyone I have a letter from the Lottery giving me a 30 day extension to prove my case because my husband won the ticket and I have a court ordered divorce which details this ticket and its disbursment dated Sept. 2004 in McHenry County, IL. I have been in constant contact with the lottery since last June when I found out about my husband winning the lottery last January.  They have had my court order since last Oct. and told me to come in on Dec. 2nd, 2004 to fill out my claim which I did. I live in Florida and my now ex-husband and his girlfriend moved to Illinois on 12/2003 and won the lottery Jan. 31, 2004. She is from Illinois and went back to be near her family.. My brother has been dealing with bank security paper for 25 years and he flew up to Chicago in June to validate the ticket was real before I based my entire divorce on it. I have four young children and one of them is disabled. Im currently a nursing student here in Florida. The lottery obviously believes my story and that we are the winners because Im the only person alive that has a letter from them giving me 30 extra days to file a lawsuit to prove lmy case.  The problem is I have no money left, my divorce cost 25,000 and I cant find an attorney to take the case on contingency...so if anyone knows of an attorney that will take my case on contingency please have them contact me via gbjm04 at yahoo...oh and if anyone has a Jan. 31st 2004 old ticket I need a copy of that to help prove my case....

four4me

let me see if i get this right you have a 14 million dollar lottery ticket in your possession and you can't find a lawyer willing to help you collect your prize. Come on. There has to be an attorney that can help you and at no cost to you unless you win the case. Time is running out you need to get busy in the yellow pages or ask your state represenitive for help.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by gbjm04 on February 12, 2005

Listen everyone I have a letter from the Lottery giving me a 30 day extension to prove my case because my husband won 

everyone can't help you, you're singing to the wrong group.

RJOh

gbjm04

I dont have the ticket in my possession just a copy of it and the court order regarding it and the word of my own brother!!! My ex-husband and his psyhotic girlfriend (an alcoholic stripper) have possession of it!!! The court order says Im entitled to 5.5 million of it and she doesn't want me getting a penny so God only knows what she has done to it. She has been threatening for the last eight months to burn it, tear it up, flush it down the toliet you name it!!! The last time it was seen by anyone in my family was in the beginning of Sept. my sister flew over from NJ and saw the ticket to validate it as well before I signed my court order because crazy girlfriend didnt want me to see it!!!  That is my dilemma because if I had the ticket in my hands.....a. I wouldn't need an attorney b. It would have been turned in a LONGGGGGG time ago!!! My children and I are destitude due to my ex-husband, my son's illnesses and Im trying to improve our lives by getting my nursing degree!! In response to RJoh...EVERYONE or SOMEONE can help me.....if they know an attorney who would handle the case or if maybe they know more about the case of the old man that Jamescase mentioned earlier or the attorney that handled that case, that would help me greatly!!! Im not singing to anyone but everyone who has a heart and knows that we are all here on earth to love one another and help one another!! That is what it is all about!!!!! So.....once again I ask for help from anyone who can....thank you and God bless!

gbjm04

One more thing I have an expert on barcodes working on the copy I have but he needs a ticket from Jan. 31, 2004 to complete his work so the first person to supply me with such a ticket I will give $100 too and if I win my case there will be more money for that person....my other email is gbjm04@yahoo.  Oh it just has to be an illinois lottery ticket not from that same store but I need that date! Thanks again and God bless everyone!!!!

Todd's avatarTodd

gbjm04,

I'm not sure I believe your story.  It's quite possible that you bought a ticket with the same numbers on a different date, and you're looking to swap the barcode on your non-winning ticket.

I would recommend that no one send a copy of a ticket from that store, unless gbjm04 e-mails me a scanned image of the photocopy or ticket, and I can verify that it is real.  You can send it to the e-mail address in my profile.

Once I have verified the integrity of your claim, I will let the membership know.

gbjm04

Well wether or not YOU believe my claim...the illinois lottery does since they gave me and only me, in writing a thirty day extension from the deadline.....as far as swapping out the barcodes you obviously dont know much about barcodes....because that wouldnt give the accurate barcode information!!! The problem with my barcode is my ex blocked out the first half an inch of the barcode along with other parts of the ticket when he copied it and sent it to me last august.  My barcode expert doesnt need a copy of a ticket from that store....he has determined that the first 1/2 inch is the date code and he needs the first half an inch from any ticket bought on that day to reconstruct my own barcode and the serial numbers from my ticket....not someone else's ticket!! Plus i cant give you a copy of my evidence in my court case....think about that...that wouldn't help my case to be giving away my evidence.  I can say this though since my court case is public record so you can obtain a copy of it from McHenry county yourself.  I will email you privately the case number if you wish....because i dont want the general public to have that info either since alot of personal information about my four young kids is contained within.  You shouldn't be so distrusting

James, you know what I asked for. Instead of bringing forth the evidence, you quickly get mad & ask me for my proof that the case is closed. If I say something is going on and others dont believe me, I will show evidence to back up what I say. Let's see you do that. I and others are simply saying the case is closed. Why do we have to prove anything? lol. IT IS YOU WHO IS RANTING AND RAVING, SO IT IS YOU WHO SHOULD PROVIDE PROOF. But instead of doing that you use type such as !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to get your false claim across lol.

You & your other two member names, um I mean other two friends simply have nothing better to do.

The Illinois Lottery can show me more than you can. That's a hint. I will understand you do not get what I'm saying if I see you continue to blabber false unproven claims.

Hey ent, um I mean james, do you yahoooooooooooooo? lol (inside joke)

gbjm04

Maverick you seem like an angry person...I feel sorry for you :(....anyway when Im on the news with the letter from the lottery showing they gave ME and ONLY ME a thirty day extension...you will see you are wrong and should apologize for being so rude and distrusting.....good luck to you...you seem bitter

jamescase5

MAVERICK, I am sorry I got so mad , if this lady is being truthful could you imagine what she is going though? Also, this is a PUBLIC BOARD, if she was trying to reconstruct a forged ticket, dont you think she would go to jail? Surely one of us, or someone else, would leak this out to the lottery officals! Think about it!   I personally talked to the lottery officals, a bar code contains the winning numbers, date, as well as the serial number information. Which means its still foolproof, or, copy proof. the bar code is enough to win! The serial number is unique, no other ticket has that number, and no one knows what that number was on the ticket, execpt the lottery. If you gave her a losing ticket, where would she get the unique serial number from? A losing ticket is not going to have the unique serial number from that date, no matter what the winning number portion of the bar code says. Are you all following me? These tickets cannot be copied or forged. Each ticket has a number on it that none other have. Even if it has the same lottery ball digits. Thats why no one can get away with it. You just dont here about anyone getting away with forgery.   Its foolproof. I heard this from the lottery.   And you know what, if this lady was trying to pull a fast one, she certianlly is not going to beg for used old tickets from the lotto! Like I said, public board!!!   

jamescase5

IF YOU SEND HER A TICKET, ASK HER IF ITS OKAY IF YOU NOTIFIY the lottery dept before you send it.

jamescase5

if she says its okay to tell the lottery first, shes gotta be either stupid or the winner.

Quote: Originally posted by gbjm04 on February 13, 2005

Maverick you seem like an angry person...I feel sorry for you :(....anyway when Im on the news with the letter from the lottery showing they gave ME and ONLY ME a thirty day extension...you will see you are wrong and should apologize for being so rude and distrusting.....good luck to you...you seem bitter

LOL, I don't care what I seem to you, as long as I know I'm cool as a spring breeze. Once again I am not rude. Everyone can see it is you who began getting edgy, especially when I nicely asked you for proof of that old man story, etc... Also, do you realize you are making a fool of yourself by asking to buy a losing Illinois lottery ticket with a certain date on it? LMAO, and that is a genuine LMAO. If you have the winning ticket, you have the winning ticket. Why the need to buy a losing ticket? Oh God please help me but I have to throw another LMAO in here. Once again, it is you who showed the first and only signs of bitterness.

Yahooooooooooooooooooo

Todd's avatarTodd

For everyone's information, I have not received the scanned image from gbjm04, so I don not believe ther story.  Plus, there is no such thing as a 30-day extension.  This is getting very strange, and I am curious what this person hopes to achieve.

If you change your mind and want to send some proof, I will let everyone know you are telling the truth.  Otherwise, your story is quite unbelievable.

gbjm04

Well Todd...your obviously mistaken once again....because I have a letter from the Illinois lottery that gives me thirty days to bring a case in court. They have held the money over and NOT transferred it to the school fund on MY behalf...so I dont care if you believe this or not cause it is true...  To maverick.....Im glad you think that this is hysterically funny as my life and the lives of my four young children and my family hang in the balance...you are a sick individual!! If this was your situation I would at the very least feel badly for you!!! As far as bbarbie3 posts...she is speculating as to what happened to the ticket...she doesnt know for sure nor do I!! If you read the earlier posts...my exhusband and his CRAZY girlfriend had (or have) physical possession of the ticket.....not I so Im not sure where it is or if it is still in existence...can only go on what they say.  You all can go tell the lottery anything you want cause they know the whole story and have known it since last June so Im not doing anything wrong by asking for an old, unusable ticket to try and help my barcode expert!! As Jamescase said earlier...they are all unique and the date info is not going to change the rest of the barcode info and the barcode info doesnt contain the winning numbers it contains the very unique serial number.....so I could buy tickets all day long from the same store even, with those same numbers and it wouldnt contain the right serial number....only the winning ticket has the right serial number and I cant begin to reconstruct my barcode without the date info (which all 1/31/04) tickets have the same date info in the first 1/2 inch of the barcode!!! All of you can believe what you want....Im not lying, Im just trying to reconstruct my barcode to see if it matches their serial numbers and they gave me the extension to do just that!!! Good luck to all of you and try not to be so cynical!!! Life will be more beautiful that way...God bless :)

four4me

I don't think anybody on lottery post can help you with this problem. As i said in a earlier post you need to get an attorney and preferably one that has licence to practice in both states. If your ex has said ticket and has not stepped forward to claim the prize your copy of a ticket might just be worthless. I know without going into a long story that there is more involved than what has been discussed. Suppose your ex is just playing a really bad joke on you. No one in their right mind would let a 14 million dollar lottery ticket expire. Your seperation from him has nothing to do with your not getting your cut the lottery commision would see to it that your cut is disbursed to you.

If your exe's girl friend destroyed the ticket. how on earth do you think that your intitled to any part of it. The actual ticket is the bearer instrument. Not your copy of said ticket that is in your own words not a complete picture of it. Extension or not you need to get this matter straightened out before the extension expires.

Todd's avatarTodd
Quote: Originally posted by gbjm04 on February 13, 2005

Well Todd...your obviously mistaken once again....because I have a letter from the Illinois lottery that gives me thirty days to bring a case in court. They have held the money over and NOT transferred it to the school fund on MY behalf...so I dont care if you believe this or not cause it is true...  To maverick.....Im glad you think that this is hysterically funny as my life and the lives of my four young children and my family hang in the balance...you are a sick individual!! If this was your situation I would at the very least feel badly for you!!! As far as bbarbie3 posts...she is speculating as to what happened to the ticket...she doesnt know for sure nor do I!! If you read the earlier posts...my exhusband and his CRAZY girlfriend had (or have) physical possession of the ticket.....not I so Im not sure where it is or if it is still in existence...can only go on what they say.  You all can go tell the lottery anything you want cause they know the whole story and have known it since last June so Im not doing anything wrong by asking for an old, unusable ticket to try and help my barcode expert!! As Jamescase said earlier...they are all unique and the date info is not going to change the rest of the barcode info and the barcode info doesnt contain the winning numbers it contains the very unique serial number.....so I could buy tickets all day long from the same store even, with those same numbers and it wouldnt contain the right serial number....only the winning ticket has the right serial number and I cant begin to reconstruct my barcode without the date info (which all 1/31/04) tickets have the same date info in the first 1/2 inch of the barcode!!! All of you can believe what you want....Im not lying, Im just trying to reconstruct my barcode to see if it matches their serial numbers and they gave me the extension to do just that!!! Good luck to all of you and try not to be so cynical!!! Life will be more beautiful that way...God bless :)

OK, then send me a copy of the letter.  I'm still waiting on my other request for a scan of your photocopy of the ticket, and I'm sensing that I'll have to keep waiting and waiting, because you have no intention of proving who you are.

Perhaps you're like that woman in Ohio who said she dropped her winning Mega Millions ticket in the store parking lot.  (And the subsequently was proven to have lied.)  Or maybe you're telling the truth.

Todd's avatarTodd

By the way, don't reply and say you don't have the copy of the ticket, because you stated above:

I dont have the ticket in my possession just a copy of it and.....

jamescase5

Its funny how big money brings out the worst of us, me inclueded of course, and no offense intended, so please spare me any negative responses.

gbjm04

Tell me how to post the letter and I will....What I said is bbarbie3 is speculating as I have had to, because the people holding the ticket have changed their story many times as to where the ticket is...any info Bbarbie has is from me...she is a friend of mine and is repeating the info I have told her.  As for me not knowing for sure where the ticket is...I never knew the whereabouts since I live in Fl. and the people holding it lived in Illinois...they now live in Wisconsin.  Your ignorance is the amusing part....because I have said over and over again I dont have the physical ticket and never did, just a copy furnished by my ex-husband last summer...that is why I need an expert to analyze the barcode on the copy!!! Please read before you respond because your obviously skipping over facts or pulling from it what you choose to.  The only reason I know and believe my ex-husband won the lottery is because my brother flew up early last summer and validated the winning ticket by comparing it to another lottery ticket and by examing it closely for security features. (My brother has been dealing with paper and in particular  security paper for over 25 years....so Im very confident that he is an expert on the subject and can tell a fake, especially since my ex-husband isnt even competent enough to create a fake,lol!!!!)  Not to mention....why would my ex claim to have won it and not have won it...he wouldnt have known way back then that no one would have turned it in because he had it (or has it)....I have been dealing with this for 8-9 months now!!! Oh another thing I saw an article a few weeks back about the "mystery caller" last summer to the manager at the Gas City asking questions about the ticket because she was going through a divorce etc...well that caller was me!!! I was in the middle of a divorce...its just they got the details wrong...it said I had won and was trying to keep it from my ex...really he had won and was trying to keep it from me....it is funny how the press can flip things around!! Again if anyone has an old ticket from 1/31/04 I will pay you for it ...it is no use to you now! Good night and God bless :)!!

jamescase5

I am sure I am about to be deleted for going against the grain here, but before I do, I just want to say that in general, when someone is weak, the strong people set up and out and destroy the weak. Thats why there are so many laws to try and protect the weak. Ex. Disablity, disabeled, etc. Goodbye everyone.

Todd's avatarTodd
Quote: Originally posted by gbjm04 on February 14, 2005

Tell me how to post the letter and I will....What I said is bbarbie3 is speculating as I have had to, because the people holding the ticket have changed their story many times as to where the ticket is...any info Bbarbie has is from me...she is a friend of mine and is repeating the info I have told her.  As for me not knowing for sure where the ticket is...I never knew the whereabouts since I live in Fl. and the people holding it lived in Illinois...they now live in Wisconsin.  Your ignorance is the amusing part....because I have said over and over again I dont have the physical ticket and never did, just a copy furnished by my ex-husband last summer...that is why I need an expert to analyze the barcode on the copy!!! Please read before you respond because your obviously skipping over facts or pulling from it what you choose to.  The only reason I know and believe my ex-husband won the lottery is because my brother flew up early last summer and validated the winning ticket by comparing it to another lottery ticket and by examing it closely for security features. (My brother has been dealing with paper and in particular  security paper for over 25 years....so Im very confident that he is an expert on the subject and can tell a fake, especially since my ex-husband isnt even competent enough to create a fake,lol!!!!)  Not to mention....why would my ex claim to have won it and not have won it...he wouldnt have known way back then that no one would have turned it in because he had it (or has it)....I have been dealing with this for 8-9 months now!!! Oh another thing I saw an article a few weeks back about the "mystery caller" last summer to the manager at the Gas City asking questions about the ticket because she was going through a divorce etc...well that caller was me!!! I was in the middle of a divorce...its just they got the details wrong...it said I had won and was trying to keep it from my ex...really he had won and was trying to keep it from me....it is funny how the press can flip things around!! Again if anyone has an old ticket from 1/31/04 I will pay you for it ...it is no use to you now! Good night and God bless :)!!

If you're referring to me with the "ignorance" remark, then I believe you are mistaken. It is in fact ignorance that is keeping you from seeing the fact that I am not asking to see the ticket, I asked to see a scanned image of the photocopy.

Here we go, last time: take whatever you have, and run it through a scanner - which will produce an image file on your hard drive. Then, open your e-mail, create a new message, attach the image file(s) created by your scanner to the e-mail, and send it to the e-mail address in my profile. Easy, and will substantiate your claims.
Quote: Originally posted by jamescase5 on February 14, 2005

I am sure I am about to be deleted for going against the grain here, but before I do, I just want to say that in general, when someone is weak, the strong people set up and out and destroy the weak. Thats why there are so many laws to try and protect the weak. Ex. Disablity, disabeled, etc. Goodbye everyone.

Nope, thats not me trying to destroy the weak. I'm going by facts = claim deadline is over... and I will find out soon enough if there is such a thing as a "30-day extension".
Todd's avatarTodd

Mav,

This is getting pretty weird, eh? You getting any PMs?

Tell me how to post the letter and I will.

Playing dumb aren't you? No problem. Go to a free photo site. They allow you to upload files onto their host server/s. Then link it here. Voila!

Oh, make sure it's an OFFICIAL letter from Illinois Lottery. Good luck.

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on February 14, 2005

Mav,

This is getting pretty weird, eh? You getting any PMs?

Yes very weird and desperate scheisters abound. Nope I haven't gotten any PM's... you?
Todd's avatarTodd

Yup. It seems like there is a contingent of people from Florida who are involved - or for all I know it's one guy having a party. Like I said, weird.

DoctorEw220's avatarDoctorEw220

I dont have the ticket in my possession just a copy of it and the court order regarding it and the word of my own brother!!! My ex-husband and his psyhotic girlfriend (an alcoholic stripper) have possession of it!!!

Here's your problem. You do not have the ticket in your posession.   If I may quote the Illinois Lottery,

"An Official On-Line Game winning ticket is deemed to be owned by the person or entity named on the ticket or, in the case of a ticket not completed with name and address, by the ticket bearer.

The Lottery shall not be responsible for lost or stolen Official On-Line Game tickets.

The purchaser of an Official On-Line Game ticket has the sole responsibility for verifying the accuracy and condition of the data printed on the ticket at the time of purchase.

The Lottery shall not be responsible to the player for Official On-Line Game tickets redeemed in error by an On-Line Retailer."

AND

" The ticket must not be intentionally mutilated, altered, reconstituted, or tampered with in any manner"

IN ADDITION TO

"The ticket must not be counterfeit or an exact duplicate of another winning ticket"

AS WELL AS

" The player or computer number selections, validation data and the drawing date(s) and, if applicable, time of an apparent winning ticket must appear on the official file of winning tickets, and a ticket with that exact data must not have been previously paid" (The date is only half of what you need.)

NOT TO MENTION

"There must not be any other breach of these Rules in relation to the ticket which, in the opinion of the Superintendent, justifies disqualification"

I counted 5 reasons why you WILL NOT get your money. Deal with it. It says that prizes can be claimed up to one year past the drawing date. It also says that a ticket is that of the person of whom the ticket is in possesion. And since the jackpot was won after your divorce, and not during the proceedings, even if your ex claimed the prize, you would be entitled to nothing, and he and his girlfriend, no matter how psycho you say she is, are entitled to that money. END OF STORY. GET OVER IT. YOU LOST!!!

DoctorEw220, Thank you for looking into it so detailed.

no problem.

Justin's avatarJustin

whoa, just stumbled into the weirdest thread.....

gbjm04

Doc....you obviously cant read because my ex-husband won the ticket while we were married!!!!! My divorce wasnt even in the works until AUG 2004 and finalized SEPT 2004 so learn to read before you reply...thanks!! As far as your "rules"....they are made to be broken...have you ever heard of that? And another thing...the lottery told my previous attorney that if I could validate the barcode they would pay the claim or if I got a court order they would pay the claim without the ticket....so smarty pants you dont know what you are talking about...none of you fools do!!!! So get over yourself :)...Have  a nice day :)

Todd's avatarTodd

You haven't sent proof, despite repeated requests.  It would be easy to send a copy of the so-called letter from the Illinois Lottery, but since you refuse, your credibility has dimished to almost zero.

st.germain's avatarst.germain

Wow...this story was better then that first cup of coffee in the morning.  I just loved it! It was nice to see everyone here trading words and barbs!  I think that Ms florida would do better by inserting a ad in the newspapers under the "personals" section. This way it would go out to a ever larger crowd  that she can appeal to. And please..don't let her respond to me in any way ..fashion or form. Good fortune to all.!!!

(Now back to my newspaper and coffee)     

gbjm04

Todd I just sent you the proof and St. Germain....I have no desire to respond to you in any fashion thank you!!! Good day to you all!!!

gbjm04

My credibility is 100%...the illinois lottery lied to the public about this pending case and the money being turned over to the school fund...as you can see Todd it is being held over for 30 days!!!

Your such a sweetheart!!                              Good day to you too!!

gbjm04

LOL....I love your dancing characters.....LOL!! Thanks for making me smile :).....and btw I am a sweetheart, lol!!!  Todd I dont see my apology yet, lol....but maybe your reading the letter???

Todd's avatarTodd

gbjm04 did send me a fax from the Illinois Lottery.  It appears to be genuine.

Here's the facts from the fax:

1. gbjm04 did make a claim to the Illinois Lottery regarding a lottery ticket that is purported to be a winning ticket.

2. There are a number of portions of the letter which are whited out, mostly to erase the actual names of the parties.

3. There is a large portion whited out which has something to do with the lottery ticket itself.  It appears to describe something that is wrong or missing with the photocopy of the lottery ticket.  From what I can gather, the existing photocopy does not allow the Lottery to validate the barcode or numeric data on the ticket.

4. There is no 30-day extension of the claim period; rather, the Illinois Lottery considers the claim to be in-process, and they're holding off on distribution of the funds pending actual receipt of the ticket.

Overall, it appears the Illinois Lottery received some kind of claim, and they are proceeding with caution to make sure that they are following their rules, while at the same time working with this person in the chance that the claim is real.  I think they are taking a sensible approach.

What this does not do is to verify that this person does in fact hold a real, winning ticket.  It basically says if your ex-husband is in fact holding a winning ticket, then the Lottery considers the claims process to be started, and they will not liquidate the jackpot for at least another 30 days, while giving you an opportunity to produce a winning ticket.

For what it's worth, I really hope that the ticket is real, and that you do get to split the $14 million.  I have nothing against you, and I hope you understand the need for skepticism.

As for your request for an apology, I can't see anything that I need to apologize for.  Do I need to apologize for being skeptical?  I am glad that you sent the letter, and I certainly think it makes your claims here much more credible.

If it were me, and I had $7 million at stake (your 50% stake), I'd be hiring people to track it down and GET it.  But that's advice better given in a PM.

I wish you the best of luck.

gbjm04

Todd thanks for your post and for validating my claims here....one thing in your post that is inaccurate and I hope you change is that the Lottery isnt givng me 30 days to produce the ticket....they are giving me 30 days to bring suit against them or produce the ticket.  As for the copy of the ticket.....the lottery has questions about it because it is a horrible copy.....my ex did a wonderful job of crossing off everything on it that had any valuable information except the numbers and the game the ticket was bought for (1/31/04-14 million).  As for having the ticket, I never had it nor saw it nor claim to have done either.  My brother who is an expert in security paper and paper in general saw it, signed it, held it and validated it against a lottery ticket he purchased, it was the winning ticket......plus as I said earlier my ex isn't even intelligent.....how would he have known all the way back then that that particular ticket wouldnt be turned in...why....because he had it in his possession.  I guess I understand your skeptism but you have to admit some people on here were pretty tough on me......my story is real as you have said and my life and the lives of my four young children hang in the balance so this is no joke or laughing matter!!! Thanks Todd for your comments and please correct the one issue regarding the 30 days.....Take care and God bless!!

Todd's avatarTodd

It does appear that they have a provision for extending the claim period if a suit is filed within 30 days of the end of the claim period, but you appear to have whited out the third bullet point that they made, so I cannot be sure of what the conditions are.  Therefore, I guess the facts substantiate some kind of ability to bring suit to claim the prize, but there may be some kind of conditions attached to this, so I cannot state with certainty that this is true.

gbjm04

Maverick and Doc you are pretty quiet now...just as I figured...have a good one :)!!

Go Girl !!  Wish you the best.  Won't be long before someone in the crowd will be asking for your hand.  It might be maverick or someone....LOL!!!!

Maverick and Doc you are pretty quiet now...just as I figured...have a good one :)!!

i've been at class, and had the task of doing mail duty on valentine's day. i have a life outside of LP.

i apologize for my previous statement, but it did sound like it was made-up though.
Carolyn34

I have been following this trail....

GBJM04 claims she has a copy of the lottery ticket her ex husband purchases. If her husband had or has the original, why hasn't he tried to claim his portion? or has he?  Is he going to let this slip away with no claim?  That in itself sounds very peculiar?

RJOh's avatarRJOh

According to an article I read at: http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dsnews/011nd4.htm  GBJM04 is one of several people that came up with a sob story and no ticket to put in a claim for those winnings.  Unless one of them can prove they were connected with the actual ticket, none of them are going to be taken serious.

RJOh

so her story is legit, but she is not the only person to lay claim to the ticket. sounds like another elicia battle to me.

Quote: Originally posted by Carolyn34 on February 14, 2005

I have been following this trail....

GBJM04 claims she has a copy of the lottery ticket her ex husband purchases. If her husband had or has the original, why hasn't he tried to claim his portion? or has he?  Is he going to let this slip away with no claim?  That in itself sounds very peculiar?

Good questions.
Quote: Originally posted by Maverick on February 14, 2005

Tell me how to post the letter and I will.

Playing dumb aren't you? No problem. Go to a free photo site. They allow you to upload files onto their host server/s. Then link it here. Voila!

So why only send it to Todd? Let's see you give permission to Todd to post the letter you faxed him.

I'm still having something else verified by the Illinois Lottery. It concerns your every word here at LP. Good luck.

PS. Be true to yourself.

Tell me how to post the letter and I will.

So why only send it to Todd? Let's see you give permission to Todd to post the letter you faxed him.

I'm still having something else verified by the Illinois Lottery. It concerns your every word here at LP. Good luck.

PS. Be true to yourself.

WTG buddy. WTG. wouldn't it be funny to see this person exposed because of us.

Hold on to your seat Doc. The road seems a little rocky right now, but I'm prepared. I had always said to myself, "I should've been a lawyer".

*sigh*

gbjm04

Well to all your nonsense....I dont owe any of you an explanation...and I will not go sending my legal documents and proof all over the internet to a bunch of strangers...think about it....what now you dont trust Todd either...PATHETIC!!!  I only sent it to him because he is the administrator.  For the part about exposing me and blah, blah, blah the lottery office is WELL aware of me and my claims as I said 100 times since last summer....Im not one of the con artists that came out of the woodwork during the final weeks...Ive been there all along, in fact my whole divorce is based on the lottery settlement....so ask away and "find out" all you want cause I have nothing to hide and have done nothing wrong and have told the truth all along!!! As far as parts of my letter being whited out....well Maverick "the attorney wantabe" would it be smart to send my personal information out to a stranger or any of my proof out to strangers.....duhhhhhhh!!! Of course not.....and there is a problem with the copy I have said that all along IF you actually READ what I wrote...I said my ex crossed out a ton of info on it and especially any barcodes or serial numbers duhhhhhhhhh!! The lottery and I have no beef....in fact they gave only me, not the scammers 30 days to bring suit...they obviously believe I have some credence.  And to Ms.Tarpon Springs you obviously haven't read all the posts either......my ex's CRAZYYYYYYYY girlfriend had physical possession of the ticket and didnt want me to get a dime....got it?????!! She might have destroyed it for all I know.....READ FOLKS!!! It is getting tiresome to answer questions I have already addressed....>For anyone who can supply an old ticket from 1/31/04 to me you will be paid for this ticket so that I can furnish it to help my barcode expert....it might help it might not but I will pay you either way......contact me privately...to anyone and everyone who actually wishes me and my family well...THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS!!!!!  Oh and btw I am true to myself!!!!

gbjm04

oops almost forgot....to answer another of Ms. Tarpon's questions.....my ex never turned it in because he was TRYING TO KEEP IT FROM ME....helloooooo anyone listening!!!!!????? Then my brother validated it and they had him SIGNED IT!!!! So, they needed to work with us at that point....which my ex was willing to do but crazy girlfriend wouldnt!!!! And she couldnt turn it in because my brother had signed it and she had gone through a divorce which was finalized last august as well.  Listen enough of this nonsense my time is wasting...if anyone can help in anyway please let me know...I am a nursing student and a single mom of a 10 yr old,9 yr old and 8 year old twins...and yes my son (one of the twins) is disabled...he has been in the hospital 10 times this last 15 months alone!!!! So as far as "sob stories" go I dont know if you consider that to be one but it too is the TRUTH>>>>>> Good night all ......

JAG331

Never trust anyone who says they don't owe you an explanation.

gbjm04

LOL  I gave the proof to the administrator what else do you want my blood.....LOL what a bunch of wackos, LOL

Todd's avatarTodd

Maverick:

You are correct to be skeptical, but I'd recommend not pursuing trying to get a copy of the document.  The reason for this is that people will generally be more willing to provide proof if they know they can send it to one person, who will validate it as a subjective authority, and that person will not abuse the trust given to them.

In the future, when proof can be given, the trust gbj has shown in sending to me, and the fact that I honor that trust, will be instrumental in validating future documents with other people.

Suffice to say, I gave a factual rundown of the document, even correcting my statement, as per gbj's remarks.  I think gbj would agree that I am being fair about all this, and reporting the facts accurately.

gbjm04

Maverick your a cynical jerk dont ever mock my poor children!!! IM SURE NOTHING GOOD WILL EVER COME TO YOU IN YOUR LIFE BECAUSE YOU ARE AN EVIL MEAN SPIRITED PERSON!!! How could you make fun of my kids you are a moron!!!! And you cant ONCE again READ....HE WAS MY HUSBAND AT TIME HE WON IT WE GOT DIVORCED ON SEPTEMBER 20, 2004....CAN YOU COUNT!!!!!!???? THAT IS ABOUT 8 MONTHS AFTER THE TICKET WAS BOUGHT!!! AND YES HE HAD MY BROTHER SIGN IT BECAUSE HE DIDNT KNOW THAT MEANT MY BROTHER WAS THEN THE TECHNICAL OWNER OF THE TICKET...I was with him for 15 years so he trusted my brother who he has known for many years to negotiate a deal between us not realizing his girlfriend would be so irrational!!!!! DO YOU GOT IT NOW?????? I will never post my info online for a bunch of wackos who have nothing better to do than attack a struggling mom and her children!!!!!!  YOU NEED ALOT OF PRAYER MAVERICK and I will pray for you tonight

Todd's avatarTodd

Maverick your a cynical jerk dont ever mock my poor children!!! IM SURE NOTHING GOOD WILL EVER COME TO YOU IN YOUR LIFE BECAUSE YOU ARE AN EVIL MEAN SPIRITED PERSON!!! How could you make fun of my kids you are a moron!!!! And you cant ONCE again READ....HE WAS MY HUSBAND AT TIME HE WON IT WE GOT DIVORCED ON SEPTEMBER 20, 2004....CAN YOU COUNT!!!!!!???? THAT IS ABOUT 8 MONTHS AFTER THE TICKET WAS BOUGHT!!! AND YES HE HAD MY BROTHER SIGN IT BECAUSE HE DIDNT KNOW THAT MEANT MY BROTHER WAS THEN THE TECHNICAL OWNER OF THE TICKET...I was with him for 15 years so he trusted my brother who he has known for many years to negotiate a deal between us not realizing his girlfriend would be so irrational!!!!! DO YOU GOT IT NOW?????? I will never post my info online for a bunch of wackos who have nothing better to do than attack a struggling mom and her children!!!!!!  YOU NEED ALOT OF PRAYER MAVERICK and I will pray for you tonight

gbj,

I'm sure skepticism is just getting a bit out of hand, and I'm positive that Mav did not intend to make fun of your kids.

You did an honorable thing by sending proof, and you gained a lot of respect for that.

Let's all take a deep breath, and we all wish you luck.

gbjm04

Thanks Todd you are a true gentleman and I do trust you and appreciate you respecting that trust and Im going to sign off now and truly pray for everyone but especially my kids who have suffered immeasurably this past year...Thanks again TODD!!!

Maverick:

You are correct to be skeptical, but I'd recommend not pursuing trying to get a copy of the document. 

Understood Todd. My only alternative is to have the Illinois Lottery verify all this. Thanx Chief.

God Bless You. Please let us know the outcome of your late-claim.

gbj, I realize you do not like conversing with me, but did you ever physically step into the Illinois Lottery office to show your document in person? Thank you.

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on February 14, 2005

According to an article I read at: http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dsnews/011nd4.htm  GBJM04 is one of several people that came up with a sob story and no ticket to put in a claim for those winnings.  Unless one of them can prove they were connected with the actual ticket, none of them are going to be taken serious.

RJOh

Very good article. Inside it says, "The ticket also was rumored to be purchased by a woman in the middle of a nasty divorce. Rather than claim the ticket, allowing her soon-to-be ex to receive a cut of the winnings, the woman supposedly was keeping the ticket as long as possible before turning it in."

Maverick:

You are correct to be skeptical, but I'd recommend not pursuing trying to get a copy of the document. 

Understood Todd. My only alternative is to have the Illinois Lottery verify all this. Thanx Chief.

Doubting Thomas !!  Why verify anything....wait till the state puts out the outcome, as surely as they will, in time.
Quote: Originally posted by st.germain on February 15, 2005

Maverick:

Doubting Thomas !!  Why verify anything....wait till the state puts out the outcome, as surely as they will, in time.

Please ask me that when you decide to not read this thread merely for entertainment purposes. Was it Valentines Day that got you overly-bubbly? Well it's the 15th now, so get off the ride. Don't you feel for gbj and her children? Don't spill that coffee now... and easy on the sugar and caffeine.

st germaine, before I call it a night, lemme comment on something I missed. This is about you mentioning outta the blue that you were successful at winning two jackpots. The fact that youre here at LP tells us you haven't been that fruitfully successful! & what was it? A Pick 3 jackpot? Nice but not entirely impressive. I also advise you to prove whatever you claim, but you dont have to prove anything, and you already said you wont& typical of someone trying to hide something, or trying to hide a non-impressive jackpot.

Sweet dreams baby

I'm bored, so I think I'l play Fox News here. I'll report. You decide.

Since there have been so many replies (that probably should have been PMs instead of posts),I'm going to post as much as I can think of for and against the case to fill everyone in. I'll leave it up to you to decide if it is valid or not.

FOR the claim being valid:

-There is not just heresay about the extension. There is a witness.

-Case Law: Last year, CT allowed a late claim to recieve their prize.

-I don't think someone would risk jailtime, even for millions of dollars.

-The divorce was dated after the big win, so if the ex has the ticket, tis person is entitled to half of the winnings.

-Quantum Theory. See it and be it.

-It seems as if the extension may be longer than 30 days (See Todd's post from 11:51 AM on 14. Feb. 2005)

AGAINST the claim being valid:

-The claim period is over.

-The person is trying to find a losing ticket from the same draw date.

-The person does not actually have the ticket.

-The person has given different accounts of what happened to the ticket, including one that says te ticket was destroyed.

-The person has white-outed parts of the extension.

-The photocopy is not complete, and not the actual ticket.

-The ex's brother signed the ticket, therefore making it his.

-Rules are not made to be broken. They are there to keep order.

-It's completely up to the lottery, and if they have the slightest doubt that it is not the winning ticket, they will not award the money.

-If they do award the money, there will be a lot of people who forgot to claim their multi-million dollar jackpots from years ago asking to claim their prizes. I don't think the Illinois Lottery would want that.

- As RJoh said, "Unless one of them can prove they were connected with the actual ticket, none of them are going to be taken serious."

Is there anything I'm forgetting?

bbar3bie

And now another country heard from.

For all intensive!!  purposes the ticket was real and valid. GBJM04's claim was put in months ago when she saw that her husband was NOT coming forth with his claim.  She knew she was entitled to a big portion as was her brother for signing the ticket. The girlfriend was mad as a hornet when she learned she was not on the ticket because there was no tape running where it was purchased. She was capable of doing anything and threatened to destroy the ticket. Maybe she felt that her new boyfriend would leave her once he got the money <supposition???>  GBJM purchased a copy of the ticket from her ex-husband................but he crossed some numbers off????  here lies the mystery....why? and what? and she only has a short time to prove the ticket was valid and she indeed has a claim.

Someone please help her instead of ranting and raging and thinking she is a fraud.  She is a very overwrought Mom....trying desperatly to get this money to make a better life for herself and her children.

This is true.

Todd's avatarTodd

DrEw,

Another point that seems to be fact is that there is indeed a divorce that has either happened or is almost complete.  In the letter it appeared that the Illionois Lottery looked up the court records and verified that a divorce was in the works.  Therefore, it would stand to reason that even though the ticket belongs to the guy, the "half" rule makes half of it belong to the ex-wife, even though the guy signed it.

gbjm04

Good Morning all....Thank you Bbarbie for setting the record straight...you are a great friend and I can never thank you enough for the help you have given me and my children...GOD BLESS YOU!!!

To all the people who do believe and support me thank you all and GOD BLESS YOU TOO :)....oh heck to all who dont believe or support me...GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU TOO>>>u probally need it more than anyone :)!!

As far as this "late claim" nonsense...I claimed the ticket on 12/2/04 and yes Maverick I flew up and walked into the  lottery office in Des Plaines, Illinois (a check writing center) where I talked for quite a while with the wonderful woman that work there....hi ladies :)!!! The lottery extended my time to help me so I could verify the barcode....they seem to believe me....which is truly all I care about :)...

And yes Todd....you are right about the lottery mentioning my divorce decree in their letter....but they didnt look it up....I sent them the certified court order, along with all my other documents in Oct. 2004 and they urged me to come in before the deadline WITH OR WITHOUT the ticket to claim the prize....but made it clear they can only pay me one of two ways.....with the ticket or if they are court ordered to do so....so that is the scoop!! Everyone have a great day and breathe...:)

Todd's avatarTodd

If we (the collective "we", meaning all the members here) want to get proof of people's claims, then we need to establish an environment of trust here.  We need people to know that when they send something to me for proof, it will be treated with respect and non-judgementally, and that the trust will not be betrayed.

They also need to know that when they send me something, I will report accurately on it, and that by sending it to me for verification, that will satisfy the needs of the membership.

I can't tell you what to do, which is why I'm recommending a course of action for you.  If you want future requests for proof to be satisfied, then it would be wise to give it a rest once someone does produce proof, and not make them feel that they haven't done enough.  When people see that there's nothing they can do to satisfy people here, then they'll never provide any proof at all.

You need to trust me on this.

Quote: Originally posted by DoctorEw220 on February 15, 2005

FOR the claim being valid:
-I don't think someone would risk jailtime, even for millions of dollars.

I'm not disputing you, and I'm also not saying this against gbj, becasue she has appeared in person already. It's very possible the Illinois Lottery would not even care to chase/charge anyone trying to falsely claim a jackpot, as there are so many who are denied. I believe it is nothing to the Illinois Lottery, simply because the bottom line is: no monies were paid out.
Quote: Originally posted by Todd on February 15, 2005

You need to trust me on this.

I'll try Chief.
jamescase5

The llinois lottery is used to damaged, lost, destroyed tickets all the time. They know what there doing, and have awarded winnings when the ticket appeared damaged beyond readablity to the untrained eye. They have also encouraged persons who where denied to file a claim and let a judge make the final order. While its true the lottery will not accept a copy of a ticket, it does not mean that the said ticket cannot be proven to be the "real deal". As before, serial numbers, bar codes, etc. there are multi-ways they can verify a real ticket. I am not trying to sound like an expert, I only am echoing what i was told from a lottery offical over the phone. I personally find it very very difficult to believe that ANYONE except a lottery insider be able to do anything to foil a real ticket to a forgery. I am amazed this story is still going. I only got invovled in this when I lost my ticket in the washer from time period. I learned that the winner choose his/her own numbers, I did a quick pick so I could not be the winner. Anyway, I am just telling you what I know from talking to lottery officals. And the person did submit a ticket a long time ago. So it would support her argument. The lottery would not tell me who did submit that, but I believe it had to be her. The lottery seemed very conifdent I didnt have the winning ticket also. Not that it really means anything. I feel better, knowing my lost ticket was not the winner. No other ticket claim had anything closeas to proof to this ladies ticket. There was only 3 actual claims. The others backed out with out even filing a form. She needs to forget about this board and get a lawyer and finish this.   Good luck to her. I also know that the lottery does not suspect any forged tickets or fraud. And its heresay. so. for what its worth

Quote: Originally posted by jamescase5 on February 15, 2005

She needs to forget about this board and get a lawyer and finish this. Good luck to her.

anyone else think it's time to put this topic to pasture?

Quote: Originally posted by DoctorEw220 on February 17, 2005

anyone else think it's time to put this topic to pasture?

My lil lucky leprechaun friend thinks so too
fja's avatarfja

wow, I couldn't believe this was still going on.......well anyway.....gbjm04, I was just wondering what is the next course of action,  I mean here it is the 18th day of a 30 day countdown (i'm assuming it was given on 2/1/05).  will you be filing your court case soon?  I just can't phathom so much hate that people are willing to let millions go unclaimed, because someone they don't like might get some of the pot.....oh well win, lose, or draw good luck to you!.. 

bbar3bie

Hate, greed, custody all played a part in this fiasco!  and the girlfriend is very unstable...............she did threaten to destroy the ticket........so quite possibly she did ??  we may not ever know what happened.........more probable than possible......

14 million <minus taxes>.............unbelievable, but truth is stranger than fiction...right?

gbjm04

Bbarbie is correct in here statements....unfortunately for myself and my children!!! This girlfriend is a person who twice has attempted suicide in the last year and her last attempt was as recent as November so that is a testement to her mental well-being.  She is a very disturbed, evil, spiteful, angry human being with a very serious drinking problem...who quite honestly....I pray for her and my ex to get the help they desperately need!!! As for my court case.....as I stated on here a bunch of times without an old ticket to help in the verification of my barcode....my case consists of eye witness testimony and my divorce degree.....not enough to win a lawsuit against the lottery...therefore unless my ex 1. presents the ticket, 2. presents a better copy or 3. I get an old ticket to help my barcode expert, this suit will not be brought and we will all lose out on the money.....unfortunately hurting my children the most!!!! I have a better chance of getting a ticket from 1/31/04 than my ex doing # 1or2!!!! Unless anyone knows of an attorney who thinks they can win without the verification.....Im out of LUCK!!!!! So the sand is slipping through the hourglass at a very quick rate now and my time is almost up .....Only a great attorney and God can help me now ...Take care everyone and thanks for the positive input.

RJOh's avatarRJOh
Quote: Originally posted by gbjm04 on February 18, 2005

.....as I stated on here a bunch of times without an old ticket to help in the verification of my barcode....  this suit will not be brought and we will all lose out on the money.....unfortunately hurting my children the most!!!!........  .....Only a great attorney and God can help me now ...

I would think if you convinced anyone that any ticket for that date could help you win a $14M jackpot, their first thought, if they had one, would be if it could work for you then it could work for them too.

RJOh

LOTTOMIKE's avatarLOTTOMIKE

i think the ticket was thrown in the trash by someone who didn't read it close enough......

Blalron

You'd have to be a psycho to destroy a 14 million dollar lottery ticket just out of spite.

jamescase5

I still fear it could have been me, no I am not a crackpot, I never got a chance to compare my numbers with the winning ones, since my washer destroyed the ticket. I believe I was there at the right time and place. I am outta luck I know, but I am waiting for cell phone records to see if I find that I still think I was in fact there. If so, I am going down there and asking that clerk if she remembers if it was me or not. I better not be the fool! If you know what I mean! I better go buy a ticket tonight. LATER ALL. james But I have to say, I been reading up on all this stuff and it seems the winners seem to keep winning. And after all 1.00 is all I spent.

jamescase5

Anyone here lose a ticket?   

jamescase5

THE OLD MAN LOST TICKET STORY,,, here is the deal, I spoke with a supervisor over the phone at lottery central and they told me about the old man story, she really would not get into details (likely legal reasons) but that they rejected his claim, something about the ticket being lost, destroyed, etc, She said they encourage persons with situations like that to file a claim to contest, the old man did, and won. Another story she told me was about some guy who won 175K, not very long ago, she would not get into details, but he was rejected, but she suggested that lottery knew he had to be the winner, just that the rules meant he could not collect, she said she encouraged him to contest, he never did, she all but said he would have gotten paid had he contested it.   Thats all I know. It came str8 from Illinois lottery. She also would not give her last name and told me she only discussed this with me because it was after the deadline,   TO repeat, before, the 14 mil case, she told me that she had no knowledge of a contestment, but stated to me that some lawyer called this morning, not sure what about and she had to call them back. She told me about the ticket photo that was filed, and didnt suggested fraud, just that info was not readable. Weither or not a judge and panel could determine the winner she would not say, but repeated to me that they encourage persons denied claims to file a contest.

jamescase5

she said some parts of the ticket was readable some parts where not. whichs fits patties gmh... story.

is the serial number still there?

One more thing I have an expert on barcodes working on the copy I have but he needs a ticket from Jan. 31, 2004 to complete his work so the first person to supply me with such a ticket I will give $100 too and if I win my case there will be more money for that person....my other email is gbjm04@yahoo. Oh it just has to be an illinois lottery ticket not from that same store but I need that date! Thanks again and God bless everyone!!!!

also, regardless of if the person can reproduce a barcode, the tickets have more than just the draw date on them. they have the numbers you played, the store it was purchased at, the day and time that it was purchased, the number of plays, and which were quick picks. each barcode may look the same, but they have loads of differences.
jamescase5

the BARCODE is there, but some of it was blocked out, thats all I know. but, they dont suspect fraud and I think that says it all. theres gotta only be a few days left, we will see.

jamescase5

a bar code does contain all the info needed to declare a winner I was told.   but that it was slightly incomplete

whats the latest on this ongoing saga?

jamescase5

I would say I dont know, but as far as I know the person has only a few more days to contest.

JAZZY JASPER's avatarJAZZY JASPER

Wherever it's at as of this post, is where it's going to stay!

In other words the state keeps it! 

dvdiva's avatardvdiva

I always thought that unwon prizes should be added to the next jackpot.

four4me

So what's the verdict.

CASH Only

Money not claimed belongs in future drawings.

a portion of it funds future jackpots.

CASH Only

Depends on the state.

jamescase5

I found out I bought my ticket on Monday, Jan 26, and NOT friday Jan 30th, so I Cannot be the winner! Thanks all.

gbjm04

That's great James.....that you finally have peace over this.....but as I told you all along.....my ex had the ticket and was the winner so no one else needs to worry about it being them who accidently lost it or whatever.  Im glad you finally have peace though and I truly mean that!! It will be very hard for me to get over this nightmare but I will have to go on and plug ahead for my kids.  Thanks to everyone and anyone who actually cared!!!

jamescase5

Of course we dont know exactly what happened to that ticket if thats what happened. ITs very possible that he had simply lost it. One thing I do know, is that the state of lllinois has been very helpful for me in deteriming if I had been the ticket holder or not. They bent over backwards for me. Without there help, I would have never been able to prove to myself that I had never purchased that ticket. I want to extend a hand if I can be of any help patti, please, please ask. You have my other email address please use it. I still believe that the barcode can be checked out by the state and determination be made. Thank you all for your patience. JAMES

this has been a very interesting topic.....

Quote: Originally posted by gbjm04 on March 11, 2005

Thanks to everyone and anyone who actually cared!!!

You're welcome

lol,my favorite part is on page 9....maverick don't you ever mock my poor children,lol

gbjm04

Lottomike.....Well, Im glad that this horrific ordeal was entertaining for you and I think you must be a really special person to laugh at the misfortune of others!! Im sure your life will have many special things in store for such a wonderful, kind-hearted person like yourself :)...YOu have yourself a special, wonderful day  and God Bless you and yours!  To Maverick....I think you are being sincere and if you are thanks! and if your not well what can I say some people are just mean I guess...but have a great life all the same!

RJOh's avatarRJOh
Quote: Originally posted by gbjm04 on March 11, 2005

Lottomike.....Well, Im glad that this horrific ordeal was entertaining for you 

What is so horrific about this story?  Every time a jackpot goes unclaimed there is always someone who thinks they deserve the prize and comes up with a crazy and entertaining story to prove their point.  The outcome is always the same, they have to prove they had the winning ticket to collect.  This might have been one of the largest prizes to go unclaimed, but it won't be the last and there will more stories just as crazy and entertaining.

RJOh

gbjm04

Well again thanks for your comments and sentiments :).....If this situation happened to you and your family it would be horrific to have had this opportunity and have it taken away by unstable people...especially when you are struggling to take care of your young kids by yourself.....but none of you will ever no what it feels like or what I and my family have been through this past year and suffered.  This isnt a "story"..it is the truth and if you could step back for a second and imagine that this situation happened to your family you would see why I say it has been horrific. Im not here to prove anything to you or anyone else...I just appealed to any kind-hearted person for some help with my case and apparently there are very few on this site :(.......but once again thanks to those who do care and you know who you are :)!! Have a great day everyone

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

Sorry about this.................strange thing that happened to someone ........

who actuactally..................LOST OUT.............but, no-one is PERFECT?????

LIFE IS................................strange......what do you suppose they would..

have done with the MONEY??????????????????????????????????????????

if they had COLLECTED............................................................................ED.

Next time read .......the............................................................................LP!

LOL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

PSYKOMO

Todd's avatarTodd

Hey gbjm04,

Be sure to stick around and jump in on some of the other discussions here.  Maybe you can pick up a new Pick 3 hobby to help forget about all the maddness over that jackpot.  You seem like a good person, and it would be good to see you stay.

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on March 12, 2005

Hey gbjm04,

Be sure to stick around and jump in on some of the other discussions here.  Maybe you can pick up a new Pick 3 hobby to help forget about all the maddness over that jackpot.  You seem like a good person, and it would be good to see you stay.

gbjm04

Thanks guys! I will pop in now and then to check on this crazy game, lol!! I wish you all the luck in the world and hopefully one day you will win your pot of gold  !!! One piece of advice......dont give the ticket to anyone and turn it in right away...work out the details later!!!!! I play now a dollar here and there.....who knows right?? That would be some twist to this crazy story if I were to win, lol!! My ex would be entitled to nothing and it would serve him right, lol!!! God bless....I will chat again sometime....got to get to my midterms now!! Ciao!!

so are we putting this story to rest?

CASH Only

Not yet.

four4me

I would hire a writer and get a script writen for a movie about the whole ordeal including the lottery post messages. This would help recover the loss of the ticket.

CASH Only

Good idea.

i could write it, but it would be a comedy, and it would take me a while.

gbjm04

Believe me I have thought about it and many people have suggested the same thing!! I dont know about a comedy but definetly an incredible story....as the woman from the lottery told me they have had many bizarre circumstances surrounding winning tickets but none like this one and the fact that it is the largest unclaimed lottery ticket in the history of the game in Illinois makes it even more interesting....you have to know my ex-husband to appreciate this......leave it to him to have the largest unclaimed lottery ticket in Illinois....that is so classic for him!!!

Tx_Mega_Player's avatarTx_Mega_Player

Very entertaining thread. I hate that I'm just now reading it. At times it was difficult keeping up with who was mad at who. It was starting to feel like I was at a WWF wrestling match. I don't know the current status of this story, but I for one believe that you (gbjm04) are telling the truth as you know it. I just hope your ex isn't playing a trick on you. I hope you get to claim a share of the jackpot and are able to live happily ever after. That would be a fairy-tale ending...

gbjm04

Thank you TX_MEGA_PLayer for your post :)....and you are correct in what you wrote.  The are several reason I dont believe it to be a trick is but the most compelling one for me is the fact that my brother flew up from where he lives (Puerto Rico) to Chicago last summer and validated that the ticket was authentic by comparing it with a illinois lottery ticket he bought.  My brother has been extremely successful for the past 25 years as a paper broker...specializing in bank security paper.  He tested the ticket for security markings

Bingo Long

Wow, I lost track of this thread for a while, and didn't realize the 30 days had passed.

GBJ, did you wind up filing against the lottery, or did you get another extension? Or does it turn out that once you start the claim process there's not really any more deadline, and it's just however long the court processes take?

Hope you win. It'd be nice if LP had a $1 million+ winner.

CASH Only

Originally posted Groundhog Day.

gbjm04

Hey Bingo :)....yes the 30 days has passed very quickly for me :(....but according to the woman I have been dealing with at the lottery office since last year, if I can get a judge to order the lottery to pay they will have to pay me...regardless of the 30 days being passed as I filed the claim within the year deadline. The major problem is this...I cant get an attorney to take the case on a contingency because it is such a long shot....so if anyone knows an attorney interested please email me with the details....I have nothing to lose at this point...it looks like Ive probally lost 14 million!!! Any help, even at this late stage would be greatly appreciated!! Good luck to everyone and God bless!!

CASH Only

Keep the ball rolling!

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story