Indiana legislator attacks computerized lottery drawings

Feb 4, 2005, 11:27 am (21 comments)

Indiana Lottery

In a move hailed by opponents of computerized lottery drawings, Indiana State Representative Robert Alderman (R) introduced a bill last month that would force the Hoosier Lottery to revert back to traditional lottery ball machines.

The bill, which would take effect on July 1, 2005, requires the Indiana State Lottery Commission to "use numbered balls and machines to conduct lottery drawings."

If passed, the bill would also voids a conflicting administrative rule which allows the Hoosier Lottery to "select prize winners ... through the use of a random number generator computer software program."

Opponents of the state's current computerized drawing format say that the use of computers makes the drawings difficult to audit, and raises suspicions about the credibility of the drawing results.  Also, when a state moves to the use of a computer to produce the winning numbers, the public can no longer view the drawings process on live television, causing further doubt.

Rep. Alderman's bill recognizes that there may an increase in administrative costs associated with the moveback to traditional lottery ball machines, but does not force the Hoosier Lottery to shoulder the additional expense.

Supporters contend that any increase in expenses would be offset by additional revenues generated by increased game play.

According to the Hoosier Lottery, drawings for all games except Powerball are conducted in Indianapolis at Hoosier Lottery Headquarters or the site of the Lotterys on-line vendor, Scientific Games.  Winning numbers are drawn through a computerized random number generator.  Each drawing is video taped and monitored by Hoosier Lottery security and a representative from an independent auditing firm.

A major contention of opponents of Indiana's current computerized format is that lottery staffers cannot video tape the computer's actual selection of numbers -- they can only video tape the staffer operating the computer, and the subsequent output on the computer screen.  They say that if a hacker or employee has implanted hidden computer code to force the production of a certain set of numbers, that this would not be detectable on the video tape.

Since Lottery Post began raising awareness on this issue two years ago, computerized drawings have been receiving increased scrutiny by players, members of the media, as well as state representatives.

State lottery directors have been resistant to change back to lottery ball machines, despite statistics showing player discontent.  This resistance has forced state legislators to take up the issue and force the state lottery commissions to honor the players' wishes.

In Delaware, two representatives recently introduced a bill to force Delaware Lottery Director Wayne Lemons to revert back to lottery ball machines.

Editor: Lottery Post urges all of our readers to sign the important Petition for True Lottery Drawings to show your support of this important measure.

Lottery Post Staff

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

jim695

This bill is the direct result of the efforts put forth by LosingJeff, Todd, Jimmie Goings, Kevin Leininger and many others who worked tirelessly to bring it about.

However, there are other related issues which have yet to be addressed, issues such as our non-existant liability limits. Returning to mechanical draw machines is certainly a step in the right direction, but this particular agency is so fraught with corruption that it will need a complete overhaul to close all the loopholes in the laws which govern its operation. Should even one of these loopholes remain open, it's a good bet that some dishonest employee or officer will find a way to exploit it.

Additionally, the perpetrators of these frauds must be brought to justice. While I applaud Mr. Alderman's willingness to champion a cause which is unpopular in political circles, I do not agree with his contention that, "We can take care of this quietly; no one needs to lose his job or go to jail."

To that end, the fight continues...     

Rick G's avatarRick G

Congrats to Jim, Todd and all of the others who forced this issue into the open.  It is a SWEET victory that it has gone this far.  I'm elated by this news story because it also draws attention to DE and all other states using or thinking of using this BS way of running a pick 3/4 game.

I'm a proud signer of the petition and urge ALL LP members to make sure they sign it.  If I could vote like they do in Chicago ("early and often"), I would.

Big  to all of you who got this ball rolling!  I'm really proud of you and the state of IN owes you all a debt of gratitude. 

DoctorEw220's avatarDoctorEw220

can you guys try to talk PA into going to ball machines for their mid-day draws. i still have not recieved a reply to my e-mail.

Rick G's avatarRick G

Doc,

Don't expect a response to your e-mail.  They all put their address there to appear legit but very few give responses.

I would love to hear a follow-up to Doc's post from the almost 11,000 other LP members that have e-mailed their state lottery with a question and have not received a response (in fact I will post a poll on the discussion board re: this "customer service").

Has YOUR state responded to YOUR e-mails?

I've never received a response from the IL state lottery via e-mail and I have e-mailed them many times.

If I didn't like the game so much, I would quit playing it.  When we all stop playing, these lottery directors will be standing around the water coolers wondering what to do next to save their game and their precious revenue that pays their outrageous salaries.

DoctorEw220's avatarDoctorEw220

PA usually does respond to my e-mails. that's the thing. it's making me wonder if they are seriously considering my idea or not because my idea is as cost-effective as what they have in place, but it will prove to the players that the mid-day drawings are not fixed.

Rick G's avatarRick G

Interesting response, Doc and thanks for the feedback.  If they respond, they're probably listening.  I just put a poll up on the discussion board and am interested to see the results.

Hey, good luck with the babe hunt...I'm in the same game! 

MillionsWanted's avatarMillionsWanted

I prefer to see the drawings take place on TV so I know how the numbers got picked.

However, if I knew the computer draws could be trusted, I think it would be easier to predict numbers drawn from a computer than from a lottery ball machine.

A computer will NEVER be totally random.

It might be possible for a neural network to find pattern in a lottery where a computer has chosen the numbers. Something to consider for those who live in a state where computers pick the lottery numbers.

four4me

I have received returned emails from Maryland's lottery. I discovered they have email rules you must put your email address in the body of your email or you woln't get a responce.

As for DrEw you many never get a response if you insinuate that they have rigged the games in some way just because they have computerized drawing. Also some lottery return emails might not be authorized to answer negative email.

Todd's avatarTodd
Quote: Originally posted by MillionsWanted on February 4, 2005

I prefer to see the drawings take place on TV so I know how the numbers got picked.

However, if I knew the computer draws could be trusted, I think it would be easier to predict numbers drawn from a computer than from a lottery ball machine.
It might be possible for a neural network to find pattern in a lottery where a computer has chosen the numbers. Something to consider for those who live in a state where computers pick the lottery numbers.

I guess that because you think you can outhink a random number generator, that we should consider keeping computerized drawings?  I think I'll take a pass on that.
dvdiva's avatardvdiva

It would be good for players everywhere if it passed and other politicians followed suite.

MillionsWanted's avatarMillionsWanted
Quote: Originally posted by Todd on February 4, 2005

Quote: Originally posted by MillionsWanted on February 4, 2005

I guess that because you think you can outhink a random number generator, that we should consider keeping computerized drawings?  I think I'll take a pass on that.

It was just a thought experiment.

Because I would never truly trust a computerized draw.
LosingJeff's avatarLosingJeff

It won't be long before the entire Nation realizes that the citizens of this great Country will not be cheated any longer, especially by fixed Lottery games; the last voter turnout tells us the people are tired of scams and corruption! Todd, thanks for your efforts on this RNG problem. Lottery post has allowed this issue to become a major Lottery issue in all the States. This website has advised the entire Nation on this problem. Before long you will need to change the name from Lottery Post to RNG Destroyer-LOL. Come 1 July 2005 I guarantee that I will win fairly and at least, have a chance! Without Lottery Post that chance would have never came to fruition. KUDOS!  r/s Jeff

P.S.  Todd, I will need a new face come 1 July! I am sick of you guys laughing at that picture of me each time I post something!

MADDOG10's avatarMADDOG10

my hats off to mr. alderman, and any other represenative who has the intestinal fortitude to force this issue out into the open. we need more representation like mr. alderman in every state that has, or will have a lottery...! 

The real hats off should go to Jim695. Without him identifying the problem nothing would have ever happened. His resolute attitude and determination is the foundation for this movement.

my hat goes off to  jim 695 also...!

Go Maddog! We shall overcome!

There is a place I know;

Where the State Lottery cant ruin the show;

Its a place we all know and boast;

That place is Lottery Post!;

Whenever theres something odd;

We just call Todd;

If the numbers arent random;

Todd will go on a tandem;

He is sure to make it right;

Cause he knows how to fight!

ah, the poetic justice of it all...amen...!

Enough of my poetry for now;

Im just as excited as a cow;

Although my mind is excited and spruce;

I dont want kicked off here like our old friend goose!

Great Job to everyone who is working on this issue!

Just a little humor to cheer everyone!

mark

Ironically today I had one of those survey forms from my state rep.

I was sure to state my feeling of this topic to him and let him know that I support Alderman , and hope he votes in favor of the change.

One thing that I have noticed with computerized draws, is that Hoosiers pay outs have been so much less then other states of comparable size, that uses the ball drawings.

which has made me wonder?

good luck to all

mark

Maverick's avatarMaverick
Quote: Originally posted by jim695 on February 4, 2005

This bill is the direct result of the efforts put forth by LosingJeff, Todd, Jimmie Goings, Kevin Leininger and many others who worked tirelessly to bring it about.

However, there are other related issues which have yet to be addressed, issues such as our non-existant liability limits. Returning to mechanical draw machines is certainly a step in the right direction, but this particular agency is so fraught with corruption that it will need a complete overhaul to close all the loopholes in the laws which govern its operation. Should even one of these loopholes remain open, it's a good bet that some dishonest employee or officer will find a way to exploit it.

Additionally, the perpetrators of these frauds must be brought to justice. While I applaud Mr. Alderman's willingness to champion a cause which is unpopular in political circles, I do not agree with his contention that, "We can take care of this quietly; no one needs to lose his job or go to jail."

To that end, the fight continues...     

Kudo's Jim695. It's unbelieveable Mr. Alderman said that.
End of comments
Subscribe to this news story