Tennessee bill would prohibit sales of lottery tickets on Sundays

Feb 21, 2005, 1:09 pm (42 comments)

Tennessee Lottery

Lottery Post Exclusive:  Democrat duo wants to deny sales of lottery tickets on Sundays

Rep. Frank Buck, D-Dowelltown, and Sen. Doug Jackson, D-Dickson are sponsoring a bill that would forbid the sale of lottery tickets in the State of Tennessee on Sundays.

The measure is among the 2,337 bills filed in Tennessee's 104th General Assembly.

The bill specifies that ticket sales will be forbidden for an 18-hour period each week beginning at 12:00 a.m. on
Sunday and ending at 6:00 a.m. on Monday.

The act will amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 4, Chapter 51, Part 1, relative to the sale of lottery tickets:

SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 4-51-122, is amended by inserting
the following as a new subsection to be designated as subsection (d):

(d) No lottery retailer shall sell a lottery ticket or share between twelve oclock
a.m. (12:00 a.m.) on Sunday and six oclock a.m. (6:00 a.m.) on Monday of each week.

SECTION 2. This act shall take effect upon becoming a law, the public welfare requiring
it.

James W. White, Executive Director of the Fiscal Review Committee, issued a Fiscal Impact Note, which indicates that net revenues of the Tennessee Education Lottery Corporation will be decreased by up to $76,000,000 if the bill becomes law.

As a result, net lottery proceeds would be reduced by approximately $22,800,000 per year.  (Net lottery proceeds estimated at 30% of lottery sales revenue.)  This would reduce the amount that would otherwise be earmarked for lottery scholarships.

The estimates based on actual Sunday sales from July 4, 2004 to December 26, 2004.

Rep. Buck and Sen. Jackson will also propose a law requiring that the CEO of the state lottery be paid no more than the director of TennCare.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

CASH Only

If it's from midnight to 6 am Monday, that's 30 hours.

Todd's avatarTodd

I think they're counting the allowable ticket sales hours, not the time on the clock.

KyMystikal's avatarKyMystikal

Yes but Scratch Off tickets can be sold anytime of the day.

Todd's avatarTodd

First, I'm not sure if scratch cards can legally be sold any time of day.  I haven't examined the Tennessee Lottery law close enough to know for sure.  However, even if they could be sold between midnight and 6:00 am, I don't know if that's significant for the intent of the story.

I was actually expecting Tennessee lottery players to be a bit outraged at this bill, rather than nitpicking the number of hours in the story.    I know if they tried to do something like that in NJ, players (including myself) would be all over it.  Maybe Tennessee players agree with such a law, and don't want to play on Sundays?

MADDOG10's avatarMADDOG10

it's the same senerio of (2) politicians who cannot see past thier own noses, to spite thier face.who is going to make up the loss of revenue that sunday sales brings in. here is where the domino effect comes into play. not only will education suffer, but probably alot of other vital services will be effected as well from the shortfall. now, who is going to have to make up this loss, you say? why none other than the people of the great state of "tennessee", thats who.!

if i lived in tennessee, i'd be ripping mad and would demand that they spell out specifically how they're going to make up this loss. well, what are you waiting for people?    get busy..!!!!! 

Littleoldlady's avatarLittleoldlady

I am outraged..they are again trying to legislate morality.  Those a******s on the hill can't formulate a budget so they need to leave the lottery alone..maybe one day, they may need to use it to bail out the state budget.at least it is working some what like it is supposed to. ..even if 75% of the first scholarships went to white females and 25% went to everyone else.  Tennessee legislators are terrible..we have the highest sales tax in the country and they have done nothing but sit on their collective butts and whine and grip about how much Rebecca is making. They steal more than that.  If I want to buy a lottery ticket on Sunday, that should be MY business..not theirs..and as far as Rebecca's salary goes, they should leave that alone, too.  We are hearing stories of where OUR congressmen used campaign donations to support their girlfriends and provide lavish parties for their kids..so give me a break with the stupidity. 

Todd's avatarTodd

My sentiment exactly Maddog and Littleoldlady!

Littleoldlady's avatarLittleoldlady

I bet if u told those dummies they could charge sales tax on those tickets, they would just shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!  They sell beer and wine on Sunday in my county..so would u rather have a drunk or a scratcher?

LOTTOMIKE's avatarLOTTOMIKE

i just saw this and i think its idiotic and stupid,i live in tennessee and i'm gonna look into it believe that.all they are doing is hurting money that could go to the kids and then they are messing with peoples rights to play when they want to.these lawmakers get bored and start making all kinds of new laws to get voted on so it looks like they actually did something useful when really all they do is sit around and do nothing........

Rick G's avatarRick G

Well I don't like these Puritanical laws getting in our faces on Sundays.

I want to play midday draws in IL on Sunday (I feel sorry for the states that have no Sunday drawings) and I want to be able to buy beer before 12 PM on Sundays.  You should see my local liquor store at 12:01 PM on Sundays with a Bears game on and kick off has already happened but you're waiting in line to get your six-pack and everyone else in line is pissed off too because they're missing the game due to these Puritanical laws of gambling and drinking on Sundays.

Sorry, pals, I'm doing both on Sunday and if I have to go to hell I guess I better buy an asbestos suit with gloves that allow individual fingers to protract. 

Todd's avatarTodd

Good one Rick! 

MADDOG10's avatarMADDOG10

yes sir buddy mike. nows the time to ruffle thier feathers.

same here,you can't buy alcohol till noon on sundays...now if the lawmakers get their way you won't even be able to buy a lottery ticket.i wonder what they are so scared about,are they scared the preacher might buy a powerball ticket and win,lol

Rick G's avatarRick G

Thanks Todd.....I can say that 'cuz I'm headed 'there' and already have my bags packed....

But I don't play 666......at least not on Sundays.

PS...LOTTOMIKE...they'd have to tithe 10% to the coffers if they won....that's after paying off the Cadillac. 

DoctorEw220's avatarDoctorEw220

what makes me mad is that OH doesn't have sunday drawings, but to make things worse, there's a law that says that a store can't sell alcohol within 10 miles of a church (i think that's the figure), and i can't go to the bars until 1:30 PM on sundays, and there are some places that can't sell alcohol on sundays, regardless of the county.

CASH Only

10 _MILES_ of a church?

i think that's the figure. i know it's a bit much.

whoops. i was way off with that one. in ohio, you can't sell alcohol within 500 ft. from any public place (school, church, library, township park, public playground, etc.). it's even worse in PA though. in PA, you can't buy alcohol in the gas station or grocery store. you have to go to state stores. i remember when there was legislation proposed to eliminate the state store. now when are they going to pass that? doesn't it just suck when you have to pay what the state wants you to pay for a case of beer, or a bottle of whiskey instead of being able to go to the grocery store, and be able to purchase it for a smaller price?

vincejr's avatarvincejr

A look into the future....January 2006...

"Lottery Post Exclusive:  Democrat duo wonders why Tennesee Lottery cannot fund promised HOPE scholarships

Rep. Frank Buck, D-Dowelltown, and Sen. Doug Jackson, D-Dickson are calling for an investigation into the Tennesee Education Lottery Corporation and its leadership due to the estimated $25 million shortfall in funding for the HOPE Scholarship program...."

Someone needs to tell these idiots that they had their chance, the people of Tennessee voted in the lottery, and they just need to suck it up and deal. Otherwise, what you see above will most certainly be what will happen....

visiondude's avatarvisiondude

puritanical (mans ideaology) ....would be a good way to descibe it.

the "one day" deal is mans weak attempt at setting aside one day to honor God,  and God is never impressed with that as it is an all or nothing at all proposition.  ....and if one chooses "none at all",  than i say sell em (liquor and lottery tix) EVERYDAY.  it makes no difference.

i would be in big trouble if God only showed up for "work" on sundays

now if you don't want to sell beer after the 3rd quarter in an NBA game,  that would be a good call...

VDQPLS

Rick G's avatarRick G

V-Dude, that was a good one about selling beer after the 3rd quarter in an NBA game.

Saleo Paleo's avatarSaleo Paleo

I am a a native of Tennessee born there and lived there for 66 Yrs, and yes there are a group of Sunday only christians and every other day anything goes,These legislatures in my opinion is a bunch of idiotic hiprocrits, trying to build a name for themselves,We had a hard enough time passing it over the NUT's, in my opinion,this will take money away from our Education System,And for what, to satisfy some want to be important Boss Hog type Big Wig,Lets let them know who really runs the show if we set our mind to it,they are there to do our bidden for us.So lets let them know what we want, My complaint to them  is in the mail. 

Maverick's avatarMaverick
Quote: Originally posted by Littleoldlady on February 21, 2005

I am outraged..they are again trying to legislate morality. Those a******s on the hill can't formulate a budget so they need to leave the lottery alone. If I want to buy a lottery ticket on Sunday, that should be MY business..not theirs. We are hearing stories of where OUR congressmen used campaign donations to support their girlfriends and provide lavish parties for their kids..so give me a break with the stupidity. 

Quote: Originally posted by Littleoldlady on February 21, 2005

They sell beer and wine on Sunday in my county..so would u rather have a drunk or a scratcher?

Another tremendous good point.

to be honest i'm surprised the lottery even got voted in here,i think some of those holier than thou people who say drinking and gambling are sins on sunday were some of the same ones standing in line voting "yes" to the lottery on tuesday.......

Justin's avatarJustin

its just another case of people who think they should decide what the rest of the world gets to do.

why would not drinking or gambling on a sunday make god happy??

so many people follow the STRICT rules of religion. i dont mean to offend anyone here, but have you guys read some of the sins? lust is a sin, so thinking somebody is attractive in only a sexual way gives you a first class ticket to hell (unless of course you go to church and confess it, and a little $$ donation wouldnt hurt) the problem is there are so many NATURAL things, things that would be instinctual if we were not so smart, that are considered wrong. now if we were not civilized do you think there would be marriage. no LOL guys would go around humping girls. and some guys would be humping guys, some girls humping girls. excuse my distasteful wording lol, but the point is ANYTHING that is natural cannot be considered a sin. im still waiting for the day where the churches decide that theres a loophole that makes it okay to be gay. but that will probably only apply to the priests that have been PARDONED for FOREVER ruining innocent childrens lives....there used to be seperate churches for black and white people. the churches used to condone racism. religion changes all the time because PEOPLE change it. i myself will not give an ounce of time to a religion that wouldnt let people of all colors sit in its church. i wont give time to a religion that tells me i cant think a girl is hot. and i wont give time to a religion who claims to work for god and help people but spends its donations on new songbooks while people starve to death. in fact the church in my town built a gigantic new room, and they put a piano and some plants and pictures in it. i was born and raised catholic, attending CCD classes and i called my TEACHERS on lies. ultimately i told them that it was a bunch of crap and i was only coming cuz my mom forced me to.

I do feel like i am a good person. i do everything i can to help people. i myself being poor have donated money to salvation army and such (I made $6,000 last year) i try to make everyone happy. i dont feel like a sinner, i mean i do as much wrong as the next person. I DO believe in a god. im not sure what it is. or what the "religion" would be. but i do know that god gave us give or take 100 years to live. and anyone who wants to waste it by making stupid rules and making other people try to follow them is just ignorant.

The point of this whole rant was let us buy our tickets when we want to and dont punish education with your ignorance.

I define sin as "something that hurts someone else"

So unless your actions purposefully hurt someone else, you're okay

hopefully todd will leave this up, im not directly offending anyone and it is on the topic.

Todd's avatarTodd

Justin,

You are certainly entitled to your opinions, but hopefully you are also tolerant of people with opposing views.  (Just as you expect them to be tolerant of you.)

Nobody is perfect, so I'm certain you can point to flaws in other people, just as they could certainly point to flaws in you. 

I think it is the easy route to point to flaws in people who intend to adhear to a strict religious code, because by doing so, they become an easy target.  It is easy to find flaws in a person when they tell you exactly what they try to live up to.

The strong person does not take the opportunity to take pot shots at such people; instead they admire such people for the courage they have to stand up for what they believe in.

Even when I strongly disagree with such a person, I have the highest respect for their strength of character, and I will not try to scorn their beliefs, or disprove them, because NOBODY has all the answers.

Bottom line: Debate the person's ideas, but do not tear down the person.  Because someone can always find a way to tear you down as well.

Here's the way I see religion.

- If you are a different religion, be it Christian, Jewish, Catholic, Presbolutheran (see The Simpsons), whatever, I don't care. It's when you try to push your beliefs on me when I get mad.

- I always thought that God only wanted a couple hours of worship every sabbath, and the rest of the time is yours with to do whatever.

- We're all going to the same place after we die anyway. It's called a morgue.

Quote: Originally posted by DoctorEw220 on February 23, 2005

Here's the way I see religion.

- If you are a different religion, be it Christian, Jewish, Catholic, Presbolutheran (see The Simpsons), whatever, I don't care. It's when you try to push your beliefs on me when I get mad.
- We're all going to the same place after we die anyway. It's called a morgue.

You think Heaven has Mega Millions?

Todd's avatarTodd

This is getting disturbing.

visiondude's avatarvisiondude

Quote: Originally posted by Rick G on February 21, 2005

V-Dude, that was a good one about selling beer after the 3rd quarter in an NBA game.

rick ;       or ........the NBA can keep the beer into the 4th quarter and invite all the stiffed hockey fans in,  and then it would become a multi - faceted sporting dvent consisting of basketball, wrestling, and boxing.     

.......................................................V................................................................

i always found the sunday limitations to be hypocritical.  when i moved from calif to georgia i first encountered the sunday prohibition of alcohol sales and thought that was pretty weird.  if there is something "wrong" with it, then ban it everyday.  if not, SELL IT everyday.

on the only two hours on sunday thing;  if i only spent two hours with my "kids" on one day a week, i know where they would dventually wind up .....on the jerry springer show.

2 hours on one day a week = a duty

7 days a week =  a commitment

20/20

lazyjim's avatarlazyjim

Hard to believe the Tennessee legislature would pass a bill taking 23 million out of their fund  unless.... hmmm....

.....If I lived in Tennessee I would start stocking up on Jack Daniels and cigarettes right now.

They're going to make it up by raising taxes on alcohol and tobacco.

Ubetcha.

But on the bright side, they're saving you from hellfire and brimstone.  At least you can take comfort in that.

Justin's avatarJustin
Quote: Originally posted by Todd on February 23, 2005

This is getting disturbing.

i cant understand what makes you think that Todd.

DoctorEw understands well. we are all the same thing and unfortanetly the only thing we know for sure is that we get to rot underground. anything else is just a bonus

Quote: Originally posted by lazyjim on February 23, 2005

Hard to believe the Tennessee legislature would pass a bill taking 23 million out of their fund unless.... hmmm....

.....If I lived in Tennessee I would start stocking up on Jack Daniels and cigarettes right now.

They're going to make it up by raising taxes on alcohol and tobacco.

Ubetcha.

But on the bright side, they're saving you from hellfire and brimstone. At least you can take comfort in that.

i wouldn't go to TN for smokes. i'd go to KY for smokes. there's no state minimm in KY for smokes. i once bought a carton for $10. back in pgh., $10 gets you 2 packs.

maverick asked if heaven had mega millons......but what about powerball!  lol

lazyjim's avatarlazyjim

i wouldn't go to TN for smokes. i'd go to KY for smokes. there's no state minimm in KY for smokes. i once bought a carton for $10. back in pgh., $10 gets you 2 packs.

Yes, but does Kentucky have politicians that can protect you from

the wiles of the devil while you are there buying cigarettes,

thereby saving you from the very gates of

HELL AND ETERNAL DAMNATION 

like Tennessee does?         

Quote: Originally posted by lazyjim on February 24, 2005

Yes, but does Kentucky have politicians that can protect you from

the wiles of the devil while you are there buying cigarettes,

thereby saving you from the very gates of

HELL AND ETERNAL DAMNATION

like Tennessee does?       

i will respect your views, but i will also let you know that you only live once. may as well have fun with it.

CASH Only

That's true.

GoArmy's avatarGoArmy

Okay, my two cents here.............I was born and raised in Bolivar, TN and just so it is known I am religious (to a comfortable degree Monday thru Friday). This is my take on it summed up in one broken sentence.

Seperation of state and religion!

... which brings me to this question: If the church and state are separate, why does it say "In God We Trust" on the dollar bill?

Tnplayer805's avatarTnplayer805

I don't think it'll pass.  People in TN love the lottery and it would take too much money away.  Just my opinion.

golotto

My question to the politicians - what about those religions which observe the Sabbath on Saturday? Aren't you forgetting them in your proposed bill? Better make it "no lottery sales during weekends" just to be on the safe side.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story