Idaho man, 22, wins Powerball lottery jackpot

Feb 25, 2005, 1:30 pm (20 comments)

Powerball

A 22-year-old restaurant manager is the winner of Wednesday's $18.7 million Powerball jackpot.

Eric Kyle bought the $1 Powerball ticket on a whim at a Big Smoke store last Tuesday, and didn't realize he held the winner until he saw news reports on Thursday.

"I was instantly shaking," Kyle said during a news conference at Idaho Lottery headquarters Thursday afternoon. "It's something I dreamed about for a long time."

After waking his roommate to check the numbers, Kyle called lottery officials. Then he called his boss at Copper Kitchen.

"I told him, 'I'm not coming in today, I'll explain later,'" Kyle said.

So far, Kyle said, he has not made any major decisions about what to do with the money - including whether he would take one lump sum or have the cash distributed over time. He has 60 days to choose.

"I haven't thought about that, other than I want to take a trip and buy a new car," he said.

He also said that his parents and three younger siblings would benefit from the money. They may be surprised by the news. At the time of the news conference, he hadn't told them he was the winner.

"I'll probably give them a call after this," he said.

Kyle said he didn't plan on buying any more lottery tickets, since he has already beat the 1-in-120 million odds by winning the jackpot. He let the ticket machine pick his numbers - 4, 10, 15, 48, 51 and Powerball 13.

The owners of Big Smoke, Al and Bruce Baird, were awarded $50,000 for selling the winning ticket. If Kyle selects the lump-sum option worth more than $10.3 million, the state of Idaho will get $800,000 in taxes.

Powerball is played in 27 states, including Kentucky, as well as the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The drawings are held every Wednesday and Saturday. The jackpot for Saturday's drawing will be $10 million.

AP

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

foxhillgal

Congratulations!!!!

Do well....don't 4get 2 pay yer tithes

qutgnt

Yeah good for a small state like Idaho to get a piece of the pie. Only takes a buck and a quickpick to win it.  Now its time for someone in Illinois to hit the Mega tonite! 

DoctorEw220's avatarDoctorEw220

just don't tell the old folks. they may get a little mad that a 22 year-old won the jackpot while they've been playing since the lottery begean.

Phokas

It's great to see someone win who isn't the typical lottery winner (i.e. grey, married for 40, and retired with grandkids). The lottery isn't a savings account and you don't get some sort of entitlement to win the longer you play.

DoctorEw220's avatarDoctorEw220

exactly, and unfortunately, i know a few people who have been playing since the lottery began in PA. they feel that they are long overdue for their big win, and when they hear about someone a lot younger than them winning, they get pissed. they think that they are rich because they are expecting to win the big one sometime. i will say that their number is bound to come up sooner or later. the only problem is that it may not be the lottery. it may be death.

JimmySand9

Good for him. Only 22, and he's already set for life. Well, set for life if he invests wisely. And if he goes annuity, he'll only be set 30 years (which is still pretty nice).

CASH Only

Jimmy:

Even though he's 22, he should take the cash.

ineed9million's avatarineed9million

after reading that and seeing the similarities between me and this kid (i'm only 25).  i'm heading out for my powerball ticket right now. 

winner2b

lazyjim's avatarlazyjim

Whippersnappers who win should only get half the jackpot and the rest should go into Social Security for old Mountain Men that have kept the lottery going all these years.  I'm glad we all agree on that.

Blalron

It's nice to see younger people win since it's usually someone whose middle aged that hits the Jackpot. Not saying older people don't deserve it either, but if you're in your 20s you have a lot longer to live and enjoy your new wealth.

Now it's time for Oregon to win! It's been so long since someone from Oregon has won Powerball.

JimmySand9
Quote: Originally posted by Blalron on February 25, 2005

It's nice to see younger people win since it's usually someone whose middle aged that hits the Jackpot. Not saying older people don't deserve it either, but if you're in your 20s you have a lot longer to live and enjoy your new wealth.

Now it's time for Oregon to win! It's been so long since someone from Oregon has won Powerball.

Don't be too sad. It may have been a while since OR has won Powerball, but at least you have one of the better in-state lotto games in the country (Megabucks, decent jackpots, good odds, great payout percentage).
Maverick's avatarMaverick

Article said, "I told him, 'I'm not coming in today, I'll explain later,'" Kyle said."

Wow, 22 years young! Lord have mercy!

Maverick's avatarMaverick
Quote: Originally posted by Phokas on February 25, 2005

It's great to see someone win who isn't the typical lottery winner (i.e. grey, married for 40, and retired with grandkids). The lottery isn't a savings account and you don't get some sort of entitlement to win the longer you play.

Agreed. That shows the HIT can land on anyone
CASH Only

The Lose for Life computerized game must be jinxing OR.

Badger's avatarBadger

I say GOOD FOR HIM !  Just goes to show again, that in the jackpot games, the odds are too high for anyone to do anything to reduce them. Buying one ticket for $1 is going to be no worse than buying 100 tickets for $100.00. That's why I only spend $3 a week on Powerball. And that's only because I try and pick out the red ball. You can spend hours and hours trying to come up with the 5 white balls, but in the end, you really are no better off than getting a quickpick.  And if you consider your time worth something in terms of dollar-value, then you are really into the negative-value area when spending all that time on trying to wheel and hit the jackpot games.  The only exception would be if you are just doing it because you think it's fun !

jsk2001

I like it when young people win.

Also, just because he is 22, doesn't mean he couldn't get struck down by lightning tomorrow.

I would just like to see the money go to good use and go back into the economy so everyone wins.

CASH Only

jsk:

That's why everybody should choose lump sum.

Annual Payments's avatarAnnual Payments

It's so great that someone my age won. Now it's my turn to beat powerball.

JimmySand9

That reminds me, in the UK, there was a girl won like a few million dollars. But here's the interesting part, she was only 16! She couldn't even buy a ticket here. A case of the right place, right time.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story