Texas Lottery Considering Computerized Drawings

Mar 1, 2005, 12:35 pm (25 comments)

Texas Lottery

Warning to Texas Lottery players:  Your state lottery is considering a move that will eliminate real lottery ball machines, and will use a computer to select your lottery numbers.

New documents uncovered by News 4 WOAI Monday show the Texas Lottery Commission may consider changing the way it draws numbers, but some say the system they want to change to is unreliable.

Currently, the lotto is drawn with a machine using individually numbered ping-pong balls, but according to documents obtained by News 4 WOAI, they could change to computerized drawings.

One San Antonio math professor says that is a big mistake.

The problem is no one really knows what's really going on inside that computer program, San Antonio College Professor Gerald Busalt said. Busalt told the Lottery Commission members Monday computer programs are unreliable.

There's a 92% chance there is a problem with that program, Busalt told the commission.

The Lotto Texas Mega Millions game uses a computer, and Busalt says it has problems.  [Editor: Only the Texas Megaplier is drawn using a computer.  All the regular Mega Millions numbers are drawn using traditional lottery ball machines.]

The number 2 has not appeared for the last 51 drawings, Busalt said. He also says a similar problem with the number 9 in Arizona led to the temporary shutdown of its lottery.

But even with the problems, an e-mail obtained by News 4 WOAI in an open records request from Lottery Deputy Director Gary Grief seems to show an interest in going to the computer generated drawings anyway. Grief would not talk to us about the e-mail, so we asked Lottery Chairman Tom Clowe, Jr.

Has the commission been looking into the possibility of doing computer drawings and entering into an agreement with a company next month to put into place computer generated drawings? News 4 WOAIs Bruce Kates asked Clowe Monday.

No, not to my knowledge, Clowe said.

But the e-mail obtained by News 4 WOAI is addressed to chairman Clowe. It talks about research underway on computer drawings. When Kates showed Clowe the e-mail he said he had forgotten about it. Clowe also said the e-mail referred to research only.

There's no contract in place, or being proposed, Clowe said. There's no commitment to go to a random number generator

Lottery chairman Clowe said he is going to have his staff look at the issues Professor Busalt brought up in today's hearing.

Editor: Lottery Post urges all of our readers to sign the important Petition for True Lottery Drawings to show your support of this important measure.

Lottery Post Staff and WOAI

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

Todd's avatarTodd

This would be a dark day for Texas lottery players.

bobby623's avatarbobby623

Crowe's denials, even when faced with an email, shows just how corrupt the lottery system is in Texas. Driven by greed and arrogance, they get together once a month to plan ways to get more money from the needy and working poor. They have no shame, no conscience, no sense of fair play.

JimmySand9

Yes indeed. You can cut payouts, raise odds, raise prices, raise ages (which really bothers me because I'm a youth rights activist, agree to disagree). But the undisputed, ultimate sign of corruption is using computers to draw numbers. It basically telling players "Hey, f**k you, we're gonna rig your drawings so you can't win. And there isn't a thing you can do about it.", and every player knows it.

Todd's avatarTodd

JimmySand9:  Crude, but correct.

LANTERN's avatarLANTERN

They say that the truth is in the pudding, I say that the truth is in the numbers.

Shows just how corrupt the lottery system is in Texas. Driven by greed and arrogance, they get together once a month to plan ways to get more money: They have no shame, no conscience, no sense of fair play.

The numbers tell the whole story, learn how to read them.

The are seeking even greater control than they already have and they have almost full control already, look at the numbers for the whole history, compare the numbers from one state to another, better from all the states.

I think that monopolies even from the government are unticonstitutional.

Fair competition is good for you and me.

Show your displeasure by playing online.

Say no to all computer's draws and say yes to live televized draws.

DoctorEw220's avatarDoctorEw220

at least they understand that RNGs are not perfect.

MADDOG10's avatarMADDOG10

now's the time to stand up "texas". get on the bandwagon and tell  whom ever you have to, that you're madder than he** about computorized drawings, but at least let  "them" know. it's your money...!

"remember the alamo".           

LOTTOMIKE's avatarLOTTOMIKE

this makes me really nervous,i e-mailed the tennessee lottery a week ago and they told me they would never use computers,quite frankly these politicians see this as a cheaper alternative and the bad thing is its catching on quick.

Maverick's avatarMaverick

Would Jesse James play the lottery? I think he'd continue robbing banks instead.

Lottophene

Looks like they are following the poor lead of their neighbor, Louisiana. Their state lottery was instituted in 1992 and has always used computerized drawing to the distrust of many (the state has a history of political corruption and shady business practice). In the end though I'm sure that player-governed lottery will prevail. The challenge is getting the countless players across the nation, in the nooks and crannies, activated.

JimmySand9
Quote: Originally posted by Todd on March 1, 2005

JimmySand9: Crude, but correct.

Crude? Sorry 'bout that, but the practice I was referring to is even more crude!
lazyjim's avatarlazyjim

The players in Texas have to really raise hell about this or they're gonna think they can get away with it and it'll spread everywhere for sure.  Gotta make a stand somewhere, sometime.

lazyjim's avatarlazyjim

Anybody know how many states are already using computer drawings?

Justin's avatarJustin
Quote: Originally posted by LOTTOMIKE on March 1, 2005

this makes me really nervous,i e-mailed the tennessee lottery a week ago and they told me they would never use computers,quite frankly these politicians see this as a cheaper alternative and the bad thing is its catching on quick.

then they lied to you. they are not just using balls to pick their numbers. not unless certain ones have been weighted more. i would put my life on it.
viperfour

If one is picking less numbers then what is in the drawing then you would have btter odds of winning right?

Lets say that several numbers do not come up for a longtime.  There are 54 balls and say 10 numbers are "dead" right now.  Well, you would only be choosing out of 44 balls if you are "tracking" the numbers like so many of us do here.  Picking 5 balls (not counting the Bonus ball for games that use it) out of 44 is a lot easier than picking 5 balls out of 54 balls right?  Therefore BETTER odds.  Still high odss, but not as high.

Just like the numbers 2 in one lotto and 9 in the other stated above.  I know there are more numbers then just them right now that are "dead", there's got to be.  Less numbers you have to worry about picking, better chances of winning "something".  If certain numbers are coming up more than usual then play them numbers more.  If certain numbers are dead right now, then play less of them numbers.

And if these computer drawings are not as reliable and "random" then wouldn't a person be able to play on this to "their" (the players not the Lotto's) advantage?

See what I am saying?  or am I missing something? 

Lottophene

Guys I'd say my absolute worse fear would be to have one or both of the big multi-staters to go computerized - imagine that (however unlikely)! Then we'd really have to  start a battle. Perhaps nipping it in the bud (at state levels) is the best assurance against such move.

justin....... tennessee uses balls only!.........i do know there has been a trend lately of higher numbers....

golotto

If it's true that there are "dead numbers" when using random number generators for the draws  ...where does that leave people like myself who often play one favorite set of numbers time and again? 

I must then ask myself, are one or more of my favorite numbers dead? Would I be better off using "quick-picks" when computers are used to draw number sets?  At least then I'd have a fighting chance by changing numbers often.

Why oh why don't the lottery boards realize that much of the attraction and excitement of the lottery is through the use of the mixing numbered balls. Don't they see that the relatively small additional cost of replacing the mechanical draw machines is more than covered by the acceptance of this method as fair and random by virtually all lottery participants. Use the random number generators for choosing quick-pick tickets...thats fine. But why play with fire by using computers for "official lottery drawings?"

Keep the mechanical draw machines! Why change a good thing?

Justin's avatarJustin
Quote: Originally posted by LOTTOMIKE on March 3, 2005

justin....... tennessee uses balls only!.........i do know there has been a trend lately of higher numbers....

try about 3 months!! it has been nuts, and before then it was still a little too high

tonights draw was 634, ending a crazy streak, including the 6, the last 12 digits drawn were HIGH, 12 in a row? 5/10 numbers did not hit in out of 12 drawn?

Justin's avatarJustin
Quote: Originally posted by golotto on March 3, 2005

If it's true that there are "dead numbers" when using random number generators for the draws  ...where does that leave people like myself who often play one favorite set of numbers time and again? 

I must then ask myself, are one or more of my favorite numbers dead? Would I be better off using "quick-picks" when computers are used to draw number sets?  At least then I'd have a fighting chance by changing numbers often.

Why oh why don't the lottery boards realize that much of the attraction and excitement of the lottery is through the use of the mixing numbered balls. Don't they see that the relatively small additional cost of replacing the mechanical draw machines is more than covered by the acceptance of this method as fair and random by virtually all lottery participants. Use the random number generators for choosing quick-pick tickets...thats fine. But why play with fire by using computers for "official lottery drawings?"

Keep the mechanical draw machines! Why change a good thing?

Firstly, there are dead numbers.

SClotto, I, and I am assuming you, were informed via LP on around November 1st that WI switched to computerized drawings, what you probably dont know is when i emailed them complaining about the trend from Nov 1- present, they said actually we went to RNG on August 2nd. I was like WHAT? lol. i worked at a gas station at that time that sold those tickets, i spent $5 a day in state at least, thinking i was getting the real deal. #%$%#

i'm hoping they at least inform players if it does happen and give them advance notice....

CASH Only

Maybe they will.

anyone heard any more news on this matter?

CASH Only

Ask Dawn Nettles, www.lottoreport.com

LANTERN's avatarLANTERN
Quote: Originally posted by LOTTOMIKE on March 17, 2005

anyone heard any more news on this matter?

There appears to be some opposition to this from some of their counselors, so as soon as they are able to dismiss some of the missgivings and opposition they might or will go ahead with it.
End of comments
Subscribe to this news story