Lottery winners celebrate Mega-divorce

Apr 11, 2005, 10:42 am (21 comments)

Mega Millions

An estranged New York City couple who agreed in court to split a $149 million lottery jackpot treated bystanders to an impromptu display of music and dance.

Juan Rodriguez, a parking-lot attendant was nearly penniless when he bought a winning Mega Millions ticket last year.  But last week he whipped out his harmonica, the New York Post reported, and began joyously playing, while his estranged wife began to dance at the other end of the courthouse hallway.

"I'm super-happy," he told the Post later.  "I'm free."

Iris Rodriguez had thrown her husband out before he bought the ticket.  But she then said she wanted a reconciliation and invited him back home.  Two weeks later she filed for divorce - and half of the lottery winnings.

The couple plan to take the jackpot as a lump sum.  After taxes, they will collect about $30 million each.

But both say this is it -- that they do not expect to meet again.

UPI

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

tg636

I think $30 million is enough to forget the ex-wife. I'd be pretty happy. Especially if I had zero dollars last year.

Maverick's avatarMaverick

As it turns out, she did marry the right guy LOL

LOTTOMIKE's avatarLOTTOMIKE

,WHAT A HAPPY ENDING,POPCORN ANYONE

DoubleDown

He wasn't exactly penniless if he bought the ticket. I guess he had at least a dollar.

Just please don't pull a Jack Whittaker. Be sensible.

DD 

MillionsWanted's avatarMillionsWanted

Now he can get all the chicks in the world, including the Gold Diggers which for sure will pop up.

winner2b
Quote: Originally posted by Maverick on April 11, 2005

As it turns out, she did marry the right guy LOL

MillionsWanted's avatarMillionsWanted

The smartest one of them is obviously his (ex) wife.

nomoneybabe

Hello folks !! If I won the lottery and paid all taxes, then I give my mom 1Million. Does she have to pay tax on that again ??

Just ask to know!!

dvdiva's avatardvdiva

I think he already had a gold-digger. The real celebrants were the lawyers though.

sergiou2
Quote: Originally posted by nomoneybabe on April 12, 2005

Hello folks !! If I won the lottery and paid all taxes, then I give my mom 1Million. Does she have to pay tax on that again ??

Just ask to know!!

Unfortunately, she would have to pay taxes.  Do your research.  If it's a "gift" over 10 grand, the recipent may have to pay taxes.  You may find you're better off having your mom claim the winnings with you.  That way, you would only pay taxes on (using this case as an example) $29 million and your mom would pay taxes on $1 million without any of those other taxes.

Thomas Covenant's avatarThomas Covenant

The giver would get taxed. Here's a simple explanation.

Gift Tax Expained

tg636

You can give someone a gift of $11,000 a year before they have to pay taxes on it.  If you are married, your wife could also give your mom $11,000, so mom could have $22,000 tax free a year.

Quote: Originally posted by nomoneybabe on April 12, 2005

Just ask to know!!

konane's avatarkonane
Quote: Originally posted by dvdiva on April 12, 2005

I think he already had a gold-digger. The real celebrants were the lawyers though.

nomoneybabe

Hello ... friends:  Thank you for your advices and website, I appreciate it so much

good luck to you folks on the lucky tooo!!!

fwlawrence's avatarfwlawrence

tg636:

Any amount given out over $11,000 is taxable to the person who GIVES the money, not the person who gets it.

ryanm

Correct.  If you give someone one million dollars, you have to pay the gift tax.  The person you give the money to does not have to pay any taxes.

I must also comment that it's always nice to see a poor person such as Rodriguez win the lottery and not some rich jerk like Whittaker.

Yea that Rodriguez win was like a hit for the home team. Sooo close to where I am, but too bad I dont get a cut lol.

CASH Only

Whittaker is not a jerk...he chose cash.

Quote: Originally posted by CASH Only on April 15, 2005

Whittaker is not a jerk...he chose cash.

CASH Only

LOTTOMIKE's avatarLOTTOMIKE

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story