Record PA Match 6 lottery winner flees media attention

May 12, 2005, 1:21 pm (20 comments)

Pennsylvania Lottery

Elmer Crone Jr., 69, might be happy to be Pennsylvania's newest millionaire.

He is apparently not happy with all the attention the win has brought him, however.

On Monday, the state Department of Revenue announced that Crone had won $5.9 million in the largest Match 6 payoff to date in the game's 16-month history.

Crone lives in a secluded area in Carroll Twp. in one of three homes off a narrow cul-de-sac in a stand of hardwoods.

A neighbor, who declined to give his name, said Crone packed up his car Monday and went to parts unknown after just one day of the kind of attention big lottery winners often receive.

"There must have been dozens of cars driving up into his driveway yesterday," the neighbor said.

"Sometimes there were four or five at a time. There were church groups, people looking for handouts, everybody you can think of."

When approached, the neighbor at first had said he didn't know Crone, and had no idea where he lived.

He eventually relented and said that Crone had been distressed over all the strangers showing up at his door.

"It was quite a strain on him. He hasn't been in the best of health, and it was a lot to deal with," he said. After a moment, he added: "Still, I wouldn't mind being Elmer Crone."

Crone bought his winning ticket at the Giant Food Store on Route 15 in Carroll Twp.

Crone won $5,858,436 -- the largest Match 6 lotto jackpot ever -- by matching all six winning numbers (29-30-34-40-43-46) in the May 3 drawing.

Crone won the 11th jackpot since the Match 6 game's debut Jan. 30, 2004. In total, Match 6 lotto has paid out more than $88 million in cash prizes to more than 17.8 million winners.

The winning Lucky for Life Lotto ticket also was sold last week; one ticket matched all six winning numbers in the May 4 drawing.

That top prize, $3,000 a month for life, has not been claimed.

Since its inception 33 years ago, the Lottery has contributed more than $14.6 billion to various programs.

Among those are property tax and rent rebates; free and reduced-fare transit; the low-cost prescription drug programs PACE and PACENET; and the 52 Area Agencies on Aging, including 650 full- and part-time senior centers throughout Pennsylvania.

The latest and past Pennsylvania lottery results can be found on the Lottery Post Pennsylvania Lottery Results page.

Patriot-News

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

CASH Only

Good thing Mr Crone didn't hit Unlucky for Life.

JimmySand9

Good thing Mr Crone didn't hit Unlucky for Life.

We get it, you don't like annuities.

qutgnt

This is exaclty what is wrong with this society. Full of vultures.  If I did win no one who asked me for money would get it. I would dictate who i would give it to.

LOTTOMIKE's avatarLOTTOMIKE

poor old man can't get any peace.....

MillionsWanted's avatarMillionsWanted

That's smart. Take a couple of weeks vacation or whatever and return in two weeks time and claim your money.

Then perhaps some other winner will be on top of the news.

one more thing if you can't handle the winning attention don't buy any tickets!!

i know i can handle it,lol

Tnplayer805's avatarTnplayer805

I would be more than happy dealing with that problem.  Anyone who can't handle it can always sell me their ticket.

i agree with you on that.....

but i guess he just didn't wanna be bothered.

TNPATL

one more thing if you can't handle the winning attention don't buy any tickets!!

I would not want a lot of media attention either!!!  Folks all in your business, folks trying to tell you how to spend your money.  It's like suddenly you are a celebrity, and you have these "new friends" who only want to be around you because you have money.

Where where they when you were down on your luck?  I don't blame him for leaving.  I would have to change my phone number and go into hiding too!!!  

delS

My man should have had a planned exit strategy for the potential of winning.  For all those players who are watching, not having an exit strategy for getting out of town, you are asking for hell on earth at a time when you should be enjoying a BLESSING!

BabyJC's avatarBabyJC

Crone should have accepted his winnings in the form of a trust fund.  The lottery has to release the name of the trust fund (call it anything you want), but not who the beneficiary (winner) is.  I bet Crone is driving up the coast with Joe Walsh in the background -- My maserati does 185...  LOL

fxdwg's avatarfxdwg

My plan should I ever become so lucky is: before I call my lawyer and financial planner I make a call to the phone company and cancel my land line. Then get one of those disposable cell phones with x amount of minutes. Then I contact the lawyer and planner get all the ducks lined up. once that is all done I slip silently out in the middle of the night as the colts did in Baltimore.--------------- I hope to leave barely a ripple           

My plan should I ever become so lucky is: before I call my lawyer and financial planner I make a call to the phone company and cancel my land line. Then get one of those disposable cell phones with x amount of minutes. Then I contact the lawyer and planner get all the ducks lined up. once that is all done I slip silently out in the middle of the night as the colts did in Baltimore.--------------- I hope to leave barely a ripple           

sounds like a good idea.....although the colts haven't won another super bowl since leaving in 1983 while the baltimore ravens have already won since baltimore got another team.....

tootsie608's avatartootsie608

I can understand him not wanting those people in front of his house begging for his money.if I win the lottery I don't want that either,because where were they when he was broke,and needed some money to pay bills now he wins afew dollars and they want to have there hands out.I don't think so.

Deadsantaclaus
I guess after reading this I'll have to change my post lottery win plan. Besides getting a post office box I'll go to the police dept and hire a off duty cop with police car for a day or two to keep folks away.

Granted when I collect I'll already be moved out. It's just I don't want people thinking they can follow me and in my opinion harass me.
CASH Only

I already have a PO box.

can you use a po box as an address on a big jackpot win?

CASH Only

I'm sure you can.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story