Boise man claims $220.3 million lottery jackpot

Jun 1, 2005, 2:55 am (29 comments)

Powerball

A Boise man in his thirties who had been playing the same numbers the past four years has come forward with the $220.3 million winning Powerball ticket, a record jackpot for the state.

Idaho Lottery Commission Director Roger Simmons said officials were withholding the man's name until he can hire an attorney and financial adviser to help him decide whether to take the jackpot in 30 annual installments of $7.4 million or as a one-time payout of $125.3 million before taxes.

Lottery officials estimate that after taxes, the unmarried Boise man would pocket approximately $84 million if he selects the payout option.

"I'm trying to give him some space and let him sort everything out," Simmons said. "He was relatively calm by the time I met with him, even though he had only known for about an hour that he had won."

The $4 winning ticket in the multistate lottery was bought Saturday at Jackson's Food Store on Orchard Street in central Boise, the same convenience store that sold the previous record Idaho Powerball jackpot ticket 10 years ago. Pam Hiatt of Boise claimed that $87 million grand prize on June 5, 1995.

Simmons said the latest winner brought the ticket to state lottery headquarters Monday afternoon with a female friend after he went into another convenience store in southeast Boise and asked a clerk what the winning numbers were from Saturday night's drawing.

"Everything got a little crazy in the store," Simmons said. The Jackson's store will receive a $50,000 bonus for selling the winning ticket, while the state of Idaho would receive an instant $10 million income tax windfall if the man chooses to take the payout rather than the 30-year annuity.

The Boise man had played the winning numbers - 39-24-05-28-07, with Powerball 36 and Power Play 04 - consistently the past four years, Simmons said. When he bought the ticket Saturday, he made a mistake on the first line of "white ball" numbers, getting all the winning numbers but one. Instead of starting over again, Simmons said the man decided to play that line anyway and put the series of numbers he normally played on the second line of the ticket, along with two additional lines of numbers for a total bet of $4.

The second line turned out to be the $220.3 million winner, while the first line paid out another $5,000.

"I guess that's chump change now," said Simmons.

Idaho Lottery officials verified the winning ticket Monday but the man had not yet submitted it for processing. Until he does, "my understanding is he is keeping the ticket in a very safe place," Simmons said.

State lottery rules require disclosure of the winner's name upon presentation of the winnings, although there has never been a legal test of the requirement. Simmons said the man has asked to remain anonymous.

"I've told him the problem with me keeping his name secret lies in the integrity of the game," said Simmons. "I have to let everybody in the state know this is a legitimate game and this guy is totally isolated from our commission employees, their relatives and our vendors."

From a marketing standpoint, the Idaho Lottery Commission would also like the winner to participate in a press conference.

"I'd love to have him come forward publicly because he is a very intelligent individual who doesn't fit the mold that you hear so often that the only people who ever play the lottery are the poor and uneducated," said Simmons.

Powerball is played in 29 U.S. states and territories. The largest Powerball jackpot ever won by a single-ticket holder was on Christmas Day 2002, when a $314.9-million grand prize was won. Saturday night's jackpot was the sixth-highest Powerball grand prize. The odds of winning are listed at one in 120,526,770.

There has been a spate of lottery winnings in Idaho recently. In February, 22-year-old Eric Kyle of Boise won $18.7 million in the Powerball game. Earlier this month, eight employees at the Wood River Journal in Hailey matched four of five numbers to win a $100,000 prize.

AP

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

Todd's avatarTodd

To the winner: if you're a Lottery Post member/visitor, please mention Lottery Post in your press conference! 

Ineed2win's avatarIneed2win

Congrats young man...hope you use that educated brain...Don't be stupid like                 Jack!!!!!!

LOTTOMIKE's avatarLOTTOMIKE

i was wondering when someone would win choosing numbers instead of quick pick....

JAG331

That's one very eligible bachelor!

CASH Only

Mr Whittaker wasn't THAT stupid; he chose cash.

Todd's avatarTodd

with CO about Jack.

Stupid: No

Lacking common sense: Yes

fja's avatarfja

4 years with the same number, that sounds a whole lot better than, the people that play the same number for 25 years and still haven't won....

5,7,24,28,39  36

I'm guessing the guy was 28 when he started playing....

He was born in May or July 

nomoneybabe

Amazing: I read news about last winner of 10 years agon, that was she also had mistake on the first number (her brother's birthday son), probraly, he'd turned to 8 and she put 7....

Both was at the same store, both made combinatinon....

Bottom line : I appreciate his patience with the numbers and congrats to him for the BIG happiness!!!

The lucky young man has not made the decision to take the cash or annuity.

Yes, Jack was stupid.  He was stupid for having $500,000 in cash with him at all times. He told strangers he had it with him.  So-called friends and crooks are everywhere and they will take advantage of this kind of situation.  The man is lucky to be alive.

dvdiva's avatardvdiva

Jack chose the hookers and booze option available in West Virginia.

twisted's avatartwisted

" "I'd love to have him come forward publicly because he is a very intelligent individual who doesn't fit the mold that you hear so often that the only people who ever play the lottery are the poor and uneducated," said Simmons."

Apparently, he isnt smart enough to get a lawyer, accountant and a financial planner before claiming the prize.

But congrats and good luck to our newest multi-millionaire.

wizeguy's avatarwizeguy

" "I'd love to have him come forward publicly because he is a very intelligent individual who doesn't fit the mold that you hear so often that the only people who ever play the lottery are the poor and uneducated," said Simmons."

Apparently, he isnt smart enough to get a lawyer, accountant and a financial planner before claiming the prize.

But congrats and good luck to our newest multi-millionaire.

He only got the ticket verified. He hasn't yet submitted it until he can consult professionals for their advice.

NearNewBrit

Oh, Tooooooodddddd....

Isn't this a good opportunity to republish the article explaining the many issues a multi-million dollar winner should consider when cashing in?

JAG331

I have a cousin in Boise, single, late 20s or early 30s.  Eek  Hmmmmmm.

nomoneybabe

Hi, I am happy for the winnerSee Ya!, but I am very sad for me ...You know!? Each time the Jackpot dropped down from the big mountain ... I went to bed with a heavy feeling! SadI was so hurt at that moment, and I started to  imagine how happy/proud the winner is .... at that time !??

I am OK again about one to two weeks later !!

Is there any way to get me out of this situation !!!CryingThud

Do you ??Sad Cheers

I can relate nomoneybabe.  I've been playing for such a long time and don't hit on sh_t.  It's kinda depressing.  Sad  Just keep on dreamin and playing.  Some day we will hit the big pot.  Maybe.........

Disapprove

dvdiva's avatardvdiva

I no longer feel bad if it didn't hit 300 million. I only bought a few tickets so I don't really feel vested in it.  Although I understand the post jackpot blues.

Stars's avatarStars

To the winner: if you're a Lottery Post member/visitor, please mention Lottery Post in your press conference! 

Todd,

When I win, I will surely mention here, you can come along if you want.

Stars

CASH Only

This $220 million winner MUSH choose cash, unlike the most recent Idaho player.

nomoneybabe

Hi Ineed2win: thanks for your words! Who know ... the same store (among thousands of stores) produces two winning tickets !! US Flag

Just dream on and ....continue to play ...Thinking of...

nomoneybabe

dvdiva "I no longer feel bad if it didn't hit 300 million."

300 million ...!!!Guitar

thousandair's avatarthousandair

good luck to that guy, he will need it. Wait and see all the family he has now coming out of the woodwork.Sad Cheers

lotterywacko

<----------------------- has the post 220M Jackpot Blues.

I have "this feeling" I'm going to win...I'll never buy more than 5.00 worth of tickets at a time..I'm not at it like that..but reality slaps whn I don't win the game.

L/W 

JAG331

good luck to that guy, he will need it. Wait and see all the family he has now coming out of the woodwork.Sad Cheers

Like we all wouldn't feel a lot envious and wish our relative would give us money?

we all have the same odds so anything is possible,anyone here could win on any given day!

CASH Only

I Agree!, unless the player prefers annuity.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

The winner was on the Today show this morning and revealed that he had always worked toward his dream of being a millionaire.  When asked "...and now that your dream has happen, has it changed your life?", he answered "yes, now my dream is to be a billionaire".  He figures he got a good start toward his new dream

RJOh

lchoro

He is stupid or naive enough to think that  he can earn a 1200 percent return on his money in 15 years...

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGB50IEY0AE.html

he can afford a lot of french fries nowLurking

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story