N.C. Lottery Bill Passed by Senate

Aug 30, 2005, 2:52 pm (36 comments)

North Carolina Lottery

From the clutches of defeat, North Carolina lottery proponents have snared victory.

The state Senate came back to Raleigh Tuesday and approved a lottery by one vote, 25-24.

Before Tuesday, North Carolina was the only state on the East Coast without a state-run numbers game.

The Senate vote was tied 24-24, but Lieutenant Governor Beverly Perdue, the Senate's presiding officer, cast the tie-breaking vote in favor of creating the lottery.

Senate Majority Leader Tony Rand brought up the bill for consideration about 1:15 p.m. and said it's time to resolve the lottery issue.

Two Republican senators who had opposed the lottery earlier were absent. One is ill and the other is on his honeymoon. The absence of the opponents gave supporters a chance to push through a state-sponsored numbers game.

The State House already passed a lottery bill earlier this year.

The bill now goes to Governor Easley for his signature. The governor supports the lottery.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

Tenaj's avatarTenaj

PASS OUT!   It's about time!  No more driving to SC.  Kids making Bs or better can get a chance to go to college now and maybe now the Charlotte Mecklenburg School system can get a better grip and stop having so many problems.  I know the teachers in CMS are happy.  They deserved better.

tenaj

bellyache's avatarbellyache

I wonder if some SC lottery dealers will be upset with this news. Anyways I think it's good move on NC's part.  =)

Just6ntlc

I'm happy to see NC finally getting a lotto. Congratulations to NC and for the Lieutenant for being tiebreaker.

ryanm

I wonder when they're going to join Powerball.  I know it's WHEN and not IF.

konane's avatarkonane

Congratulations NC!!!  Good for y'all!!        Party   

murdoog

PASS OUT!   It's about time!  No more driving to SC.  Kids making Bs or better can get a chance to go to college now and maybe now the Charlotte Mecklenburg School system can get a better grip and stop having so many problems.  I know the teachers in CMS are happy.  They deserved better.

tenaj

I will be driving to SC to buy powerball tickets until we get powerball or megamillions.

Ladyluck2005's avatarLadyluck2005

About time.  NC should join megamillions....I'd still drive to SC to play powerball.

konane's avatarkonane

About time.  NC should join megamillions....I'd still drive to SC to play powerball.

My bet is them joining Mega Millions instead of Powerball because of TN and SC being Powerball states.

My bet is them joining Mega Millions instead of Powerball because of TN and SC being Powerball states.

I Agree!

I think so too.  I'm just happy it passed.

fxsterling

if nc didnt want lotto  i hope its tax free mega millions

sagan

it is too bad that some legislation has to be enacted through back door activities

JimmySand9

if nc didnt want lotto  i hope its tax free mega millions

Mega Millions is not tax free. Where did you get that idea?

GottaBLucky's avatarGottaBLucky

Woo-o-o-o-o Hoo-o-o-o-o!!! Hats off to Senator Rand & Lt. Gov Perdue for making this happen!!!  According to the news stations, Gov. Easley plans to sign the bill tomorrow morning!!!

Party

JimmySand9

At this time I would like to throw my hat in the ring for the Lottery Commissioner race.

wpb's avatarwpb

I am so happy it passed, it's about time!

Now bring down the taxes!!!

I am so happy it passed, it's about time!

Now bring down the taxes!!!

I don't think the taxes will go down....but you never know.  One thing at a time

Smile

rwhite

i am glad the lottery pass,its a good thingCheers

Pick-4_Master

That whole thing in NC was totally ridiculous they should have approved it without all the negative responses and opponents,just because they didn't like the idea of a Lottery doesn't give them the right too speak for those that did.I'm glad it finally got approved it will show "those people" that they are'nt the Moral police of NC,I'm so glad I live in FL our Lottery was approved back in 1986 with a vote of 2-1

Todd's avatarTodd

I don't think the Powerball / Mega Millions question for N.C. will come down to which border states offer which games.  I think it will come down to how good the new Powerball matrix does.

Will Powerball sales rebound?  Only time will tell.

MADDOG10's avatarMADDOG10

it is too bad that some legislation has to be enacted through back door activities

If you 'd have read the whole story from start to finish, you'd know it wasn't back door activities. Congrats to N.C. again...!

wizeguy's avatarwizeguy

Congrats NC! I hope they go with MegaMillions. That way I can play both it and Powerball with only a short drive!

ryanm

I don't think the Powerball / Mega Millions question for N.C. will come down to which border states offer which games.  I think it will come down to how good the new Powerball matrix does.

Remember that Virginia (a border state) offers Mega Millions as well.  Also, hasn't Mega Millions closed the doors on new states from joining (unless California leaves)?

Todd's avatarTodd

Remember that Virginia (a border state) offers Mega Millions as well.  Also, hasn't Mega Millions closed the doors on new states from joining (unless California leaves)?

That's what I was talking about.  There are border states offering both games, so that's not the issue.

Mega Millions will not be accepting new members for about another year.  After that it is quite possible they will allow new members.

Also, if N.C. asked to become a member, I doubt they would be firmly against admitting another state.  NC would be a nice state to add.

That's what I was talking about.  There are border states offering both games, so that's not the issue.

Mega Millions will not be accepting new members for about another year.  After that it is quite possible they will allow new members.

Also, if N.C. asked to become a member, I doubt they would be firmly against admitting another state.  NC would be a nice state to add.

Well I don't see NC entering Powerball or Mega Millions  right away.....it'll probably be at least a year.

I'm just happy we have a lotto now.  Scratch offs in 6 months maybe?  Thats all we care about     Smile 

Todd's avatarTodd

I agree, it will be some time before they start a multi-state game, but states realize that's the ticket to big revenue numbers.

For example, check out Oklahoma.  They haven't even started their games yet -- not even their scratch-offs -- yet they have ALREADY selected Powerball over Mega Millions.

Just goes to show that the decision over which multi-state game to participate in has become of paramount importance.

It may be sooner than we think for N.C.

NBey6's avatarNBey6

It's about d**n time.  I have waited for this since I even knew what a lottery was back in 1988!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations to the North Carolina !!!!

Cheers  Party  Cheers

JAG331

I think you guys are right about the Mega - NC connection.  It's the best state not in PB or MM, outside of Florida.

Etomp

tenaj

DanceAbout time,after much debate.I'm in N.C. I just hope some don't get so caught up in the lottery that they get addicted to it.I know I won't,but it's a good thing I guess.I can take it or leave it.It could be at least 6 months away.

Ineed2win's avatarIneed2win

DanceIt's about time !!!!  Now we need PowerBall !!!!

All of NC decisions need to be made like this one.  Wait til opposers are out sick and take a vote.....ha ha ha.    Naughty

JimmySand9

I've posted this once, but I'll post it again (with some revisions). This is what NC should do.

It's About Bloody TimeTM

Just a standard pick-3 game. Drawings everyday.

Just a standard pick-4 game. Drawings everyday.

Pick 5 out of 39, just $1 to play. Drawings every weekday.

Prize
Odds
Match 5
$100,000
1 : 575,757
Match 4
$250
1 : 3,386.8
Match 3
$15
1 : 102.6
Match 2
$1
1 : 9.6

Overall Odds : 1 in 8.7

$100,000 will be paid out to each 5 out of 5 winner unless there are more than 5 winners. In that case, they will split a $500,000 prize pool.

Pick 6 out of 48, just $1 to play. Jackpots start at $1,000,000 20-year annuity value. Could grow to $25 million! Drawings Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Avg. Prize
Odds
Match 6
Jackpot!
1 : 12,271,512
Match 5
$2,000
1 : 48,696.5
Match 4
$75
1 : 950.2
Match 3
$5
1 : 53.4

Overall Odds : 1 in 50.5

All North Carolina Lotto prizes are pari-mutuel, and will vary from draw to draw.

Multi-State Game

Keep in mind that this is a suggestion, not the actual commission plan.

Todd's avatarTodd

I feel like I'm reading an eye chart.

I love the tagline - It's About Bloody Time - now that would be funny!

GottaBLucky's avatarGottaBLucky

Congratulations NC!!!  Good for y'all!!        Party   

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!!! for your support and for hanging in there with us North Carolina LP members and listening to our frustrations over not having a lottery and the entire lottery political boxing match issue.  LP has some fantastic members and I'm spreading the word about this website to everyone I know that plays the lottery (Todd, you're the bomb!!!).  Thanks for the Congrats and can't wait till I buy my first N.C. Scratch-Off.  I'll probably be the first one in line the minute I hear they are on sale. Hyper  Also, BTW JimmySand, LOVE THE N.C. LOTTERY ICON graphics!!!!  They are "on the money". 

Thanks Again To All.  Here's to You "LP MEMBERS". Cheers

JimmySand9

I think while either multi-state game would be good for people living in NC, I think Mega Millions would do a better job at attracting out-of-state players (particularly the Greenville-Spartanburg, SC area). Powerball might attract a few players out of the Hampton Roads area, but not as much as Mega would attract Upstate SC players.

wizeguy's avatarwizeguy

I think while either multi-state game would be good for people living in NC, I think Mega Millions would do a better job at attracting out-of-state players (particularly the Greenville-Spartanburg, SC area). Powerball might attract a few players out of the Hampton Roads area, but not as much as Mega would attract Upstate SC players.

I like your spin on things. Would you consider being our lottery director?

JimmySand9

I like your spin on things. Would you consider being our lottery director?

Of course. Send a letter to governor Easley is want me bad enough.

sagan

jimmysand9

i agree with your proposal the more people that can share in the jackpots the more evenly is spread the wealth

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story