Powerball lottery 'winner' turns coy

Oct 24, 2005, 6:47 am (49 comments)

Powerball

Steven West answered his front door Saturday morning, but he still wouldn't talk about his reportedly winning Powerball ticket.

West, a self-employed landscape contractor who says he won the record $340 million jackpot, repeated that the family would talk to reporters Tuesday after meeting with a financial adviser. Oregon Lottery officials said Friday in Salem that no one has contacted them about the winning ticket, which is not official until verified by the Lottery.

"We don't know what to say," West said. "We want to be really careful."

Wednesday's $340 million jackpot was a record for the multistate Powerball game and the second-highest lottery prize in the world, according to Powerball officials. The top prize was a $363 million Big Game lottery jackpot in 2000.

Oregonian

Comments

DoubleDown

Dude, get with that financial advisor and tax attorney , get the press conference over with and begin your new life !

The landscaping can wait for a bit..........

DD

Chewie

He's still answering his door? I'm getting some bad vibes here. When will his wife start passing out tea and crumpets?

whodeani's avatarwhodeani

If you aren't willing to say anything, then why would you let the whole world know you have the winning ticket in the first place. If I were him I would have just kept quiet about having the winning ticket and not said anything until I had all my ducks in a row.

Chewie

West, a self-employed landscape contractor who says he won the record $340 million jackpot, repeated that the family would talk to reporters Tuesday after meeting with a financial adviser.

One meeting, with one adviser? This guy is not coming accross as a mental giant.

YES I DO WISH I WAS THE BIG WINNER TOO, BUT I NOTICED ALL THESE BIG WINNERS ACT LIKE WOW LIKE NO BIG DEAL NO EXCITEMENT SINCE THE 21 YEAR OLD GIRL WON 56 MILLION AND WANTED TO BUY LAND FOR HER DOUBLE WIDE TRAILOR.

THE BIGGEST THING I SEE IN COMMON NO WORDS REPORTED ABOUT GIVING TO NEEDY OR HOMELESS, OR CHARITIES THAT IS WHEN YOU NO GREED RUNS OVER OTHERS, LAST WINNER STATED INVEST 99% AND SPEND 1%.

I HAVE MY WINNING SPEACH ALREADY PICKED OUT, AND I SHOW EXCITEMENT JOY, DONT NEED A ACCOUNTANT OR LAWYER OR SOMEONE TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO WITH MY MONEY, THAT MUCH MONEY YOU CAN FIGURE IT OUT YOURSELF ENJOY YOUR WINNINGS BUT ALSO HELP THOSE LESS FORTUNATE.

JACK WHITAKER DID OFFER GRANTS OR SOME LOANS FOR PEOPLE EVEN KNOW HE BROUGHT ON A BIT OF HIS MISFORTUNES OTHER THAN HIS FAMILY LOSS OF COURSE MY HEART DOES GO OUT TO HIM AND HIS FAMILY.

I GUESS WE ALL HAVE DIFFERENT WAYS ON WHAT TO DO WITH FREE MONEY, "IT'S NOT WHAT YOU HAVE IT'S WHAT YOU DO IN LIFE THAT MATTERS"

DoubleDown

If you aren't willing to say anything, then why would you let the whole world know you have the winning ticket in the first place. If I were him I would have just kept quiet about having the winning ticket and not said anything until I had all my ducks in a row.

I Agree!

My only words would be at the press conference and any questions I did not want to answer would be presented to my attorney( who would be there).

DD

whitmansm2's avatarwhitmansm2

I'm definitely going to keep quiet.  My hubby and I already said that I was going to claim it.  That way, his ex can't try to take him back to court for more money.  We'll play it cool until his kids are 18 and then have MORE fun!  LOL

The whole West thing is a little fishy though.  Do we know for a fact it was in OR?

How does everyone know that night what state won it?

Something isn't right with this guy.

DoubleDown

I'm definitely going to keep quiet.  My hubby and I already said that I was going to claim it.  That way, his ex can't try to take him back to court for more money.  We'll play it cool until his kids are 18 and then have MORE fun!  LOL

The whole West thing is a little fishy though.  Do we know for a fact it was in OR?

How does everyone know that night what state won it?

Something isn't right with this guy.

If you two are married, and "you" win he still would have to pony up ..at least for the kids, or are they not deserving ?

Yes, the winning ticket was sold in Oregon, because the computers know where it was sold. See all those bar codes on the ticket ? That's what they are for.

DD

Here in Kansas, I wouldn't have a finacial obligation to pay for them because they aren't "mine".  They deserve it, and that's why one lives with us and we take care of the other one.  The "mother" was getting $250 a week and still complaining she couldn't live with it even though she works full time making decent money.  (and that's just for the one child!!)

Thanks for answering my question about how they knew what state won!

Chewie

I'm definitely going to keep quiet.  My hubby and I already said that I was going to claim it.  That way, his ex can't try to take him back to court for more money. 

Is KS excempt from the community property laws? Unless they are, the wifey couldn't care less who has the money.

You're best chance at protection is an arrangement to have the money transfer made overseas, five minutes after the news conference, and a leased jet that leaves within the hour of the news conference. I would have a limo, with the engine running, and a helicopter close at hand. The lottery want 30-days to process the ticket? Fine, tell them to keep your name quiet and hold the news conference on the 31st day.

Atleast make it difficult for her lawyer to access you; use your winnings to hire a better lawyer.

bellyache's avatarbellyache

He really should have just kept quiet until he got everything worked out. He seems so unprepared.

golotto

Steve, plz validate that ticket....

Show the world the ticket ....inquiring minds need to know!

LMAO @ Chewie!!

LOL

I always get a visual when you write!

When they do his child support they never put me down as income.  When I got my inheiritence check, she knew about it and couldn't touch it.  Why would that apply and not the lottery??

DoubleDown

LMAO @ Chewie!!

LOL

I always get a visual when you write!

When they do his child support they never put me down as income.  When I got my inheiritence check, she knew about it and couldn't touch it.  Why would that apply and not the lottery??

Stephanie,

Of course your income doesn't apply to his child support and your inheritance was just that--yours.

I betcha that if you won the powerball, his ex would get an attorney and get something. Is it right ? No, but it is what it is....

DD 

fxdwg's avatarfxdwg

Time for me to ramble here a bit.

I agree with above quote. I know in my minds eye that I will say nothing........... getting those proverbial ducks in a row is a  first and foremost priority.......... and I have plenty of idea's on that front.... I know it is impossible to keep your name from becoming public but I would want to fly as far below the radar as possible. To be honest  the very thought of winning that huge of an amount would scare me just a little oh yes of course it would be nice who in their right mind would not like that opportunity. But I just would not like to have what is left of my life under a microscope.

As for the rest it is noble to think that people will want to share but it is again their choice. I have little need for a huge amount so there is a big share that I would give to a few charities some I would share with those few friends that have chosen to stay close to me.

I don't  play a lot of chances as a matter of fact I only play one dollars worth per draw. Playing more only increase the chances it does not change the odds. I play power ball more than MM as I really like the PP option and have always done better on power ball than MM. last drawing it landed  me a 50 dollar prize.

I don't want a big house or fancy cars. I nice comfortable home in a warmer area and sure a newer car than the one I have now would be nice.

Lastly Cash Only.......................... if this is a younger man maybe he would want an annuity rather that the cash option ..........his choice 

Chewie

I have little need for a huge amount so there is a big share that I would give to a few charities some I would share with those few friends that have chosen to stay close to me.

I'm not big on charities - or churches - but do have friends I would like to share some of the wealth with. However, there are strict laws limiting that action; they have been discussed many times on this site. As with all laws, they are written to punish the innocent equally with the criminal; in some cases the goal is to make criminals out of the innocent. The money laundering laws won't let you take care of your grand parents or your best friend for fifty years. You'll have to do like all crooks, and rich people, hire a lawyer smarter then the govenrment law writers, and work around the stupid things elected representatives are famous for. I've always felt, that most laws were ghost-written by intelligent lawyers, so they can make fortunes working around them.

DoubleDown

I have little need for a huge amount so there is a big share that I would give to a few charities some I would share with those few friends that have chosen to stay close to me.

I'm not big on charities - or churches - but do have friends I would like to share some of the wealth with. However, there are strict laws limiting that action; they have been discussed many times on this site. As with all laws, they are written to punish the innocent equally with the criminal; in some cases the goal is to make criminals out of the innocent. The money laundering laws won't let you take care of your grand parents or your best friend for fifty years. You'll have to do like all crooks, and rich people, hire a lawyer smarter then the govenrment law writers, and work around the stupid things elected representatives are famous for. I've always felt, that most laws were ghost-written by intelligent lawyers, so they can make fortunes working around them.

That brings up a question I have had for a while--

If one wins a large jackpot and wants to give money to family members, what is the limit that can be given without tax burden?

If anyone knows, please advise......

DD

fxdwg's avatarfxdwg

11,000.00 is the limit anything more than that will require a tax burden.

that 11 thousand can be given to anyone. Now I don't know the tax penalty for any amount over the limit but I am sure it is heavy. Again this is where a lawyer comes in there are ways to give monies to friends and families and keep the tax burden lower.

This is something at this time I have little worry of and doubt that  I ever will

jerryp74

Was wondering if the  $853,000 winners multiplied their winnings if they bought the multiplier.

Stars's avatarStars

Was wondering if the  $853,000 winners multiplied their winnings if they bought the multiplier.

Only the $200,000 would be multiplied...the bonus part would not have been multiplied.

I could be wrong, but I think only 2 people had the Powerplay (out of 49)(those numbers are in my head, I could be way off...)

Stars

Stars's avatarStars

Only the $200,000 would be multiplied...the bonus part would not have been multiplied.

I could be wrong, but I think only 2 people had the Powerplay (out of 49)(those numbers are in my head, I could be way off...)

Stars

I was right above...

see the following link...

https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/121548

NightTrain1234's avatarNightTrain1234

Steve, plz validate that ticket....

Show the world the ticket ....inquiring minds need to know!

The media hasn't even seen the ticket yet.  Very suspicious!  The real winner is probably talking to their financials advisors right now.   I can't wait for the news story in about week saying, 'The winning ticket was validated today, only its not by you think'!

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Did he win via all QPs? Or didn't he say yet? I am assuming since it was "their first time," and they got 40 tickets, they were probably quick picks. But maybe he threw a few of his own numbers in there.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Also, an 'unsigned ticket' in a safe deposit box? Has this been confirmed? I don't care how safe it actually is, I would never put an unsigned ticket in a safe deposit box. It would be signed, and become part of my own body very quickly. I wonder where this safe deposit box is? I will have to grab my lock picks. Bandit

Chewie

Also, an 'unsigned ticket' in a safe deposit box? Has this been confirmed? I don't care how safe it actually is, I would never put an unsigned ticket in a safe deposit box. It would be signed, and become part of my own body very quickly. I wonder where this safe deposit box is? I will have to grab my lock picks. Bandit

With a hundred million plus at stake, I would sign my name in my blood; so the DNA would match! I've bled for a lot less.

four4me

it's in his bank go ahead and try to get it. give us something even more exciting to read about. 

four4me

it's in his bank go ahead and try to get it. give us something even more exciting to read about. 

Sign it with whatever liquid you like but remember if your going to form a trust sign it in the trusts name. Cause once you sign it, that's they way it's going to be disbursed.

Then again I could be completely wrong what if a group won it. There's not a lot of room to put a bunch of names. However I do now after reading some facts pages on lottery websites that whomever signs it that's the assignee.

Chewie

Sign it with whatever liquid you like but remember if your going to form a trust sign it in the trusts name. Cause once you sign it, that's they way it's going to be disbursed.

Then again I could be completely wrong what if a group won it. There's not a lot of room to put a bunch of names. However I do now after reading some facts pages on lottery websites that whomever signs it that's the assignee.

If you are an Officer of the Trust, or LLC, your signature would be required anyway. The signature on the ticket has nothing to do with the tax paperwork. For example, regardless of the number of the people in a pool, one person has to sign the ticket. After that, you all start the IRS paperwork. The state would distribute the moneys in whatever way was required; it is the IRS you have to worry about. You can bet your bippy, the IRS will be there telling you their viewpoint - thus the lawyer thing.

Just6ntlc

I hope Steve does validate his ticket in Oregon before it expired. I hope he doesn't flop and have problems like Whittaker did.

DoubleDown

He says he will talk to reporters on Tuesday....

Well, today is Tuesday, anyone hear if he has spoken ???

DD

weshar75's avatarweshar75

I heard on the news that the Oregon lottery said Mr. west would validate the ticket before the close of business on friday.  So we will see if he is the big winner by friday.

Heh. Jester Laugh

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

"$360 million dollar powerball ticket mysteriously vanishes, and an anonymous trust collected exactly $360 million the following day. However being the ticket was not signed originally, it could not be proven that it was stolen. Possession is nine tenths of the law." LOL Would make great news.

DoubleDown

"$360 million dollar powerball ticket mysteriously vanishes, and an anonymous trust collected exactly $360 million the following day. However being the ticket was not signed originally, it could not be proven that it was stolen. Possession is nine tenths of the law." LOL Would make great news.

I hear you Brad, but I sincerely hope that this guy is not that stupid.

The scenario you mentioned could happen.

Trust no one but yourself.

DD

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Trust no one but yourself.

Exactly, and for some that is even a questionable choice. (Chewie?) Green laugh

dutchesskitty

abc news.com

Oct. 22, 2005 — The family who won the largest jackpot in the Powerball history and the second-biggest lottery jackpot in U.S. history is cautious about discussing their instant wealth. Steven West of Jacksonville, Ore., agreed to talk to "Good Morning America" only if his face would not be shown.

"We didn't expect to win anything and I thought, 'OK, we're just throwing away $40,'" West said. "We said 'this can't be right, something's not right' and that's all we said all night," he added.

West had never played Powerball before and said he never expected to win. He plunked down $20, and so did his in-laws,who live in a Jacksonville trailer park on a street ironically called "Gold Rush."

The families will share the jackpot, but they're not sharing where they bought the ticket. Lottery officials said the ticket was sold at either Ray's Food Place or J'ville Tavern in Jacksonville, a small, historic town near Medford in the southwest part of the state. The store that sold the winning ticket will receive a $100,000 bonus for the sale.

The winning ticket still needs to be verified by the state's lottery commission. Right now, that special ticket is sitting in a safety deposit box at the bank as the family decides how they will spend their new fortune.

"I wanted to remain the same person and pretty much keep the same lifestyle that I had, but I've been told by everybody that it's going to change immensely," West said. "I'm not sure I like that. My wife and I keep saying maybe we shouldn't have bought that."

He said he plans to continue working as a landscaper. His only planned splurge is a sports car. His wife wants to buy a new house.

Now that the word is out, locals say they're happy for the Wests.

"He can own this whole block if he wants it," said Larry Coleman, a neighbor.

"It wasn't my ticket, so as long as it was someone local, that's great," said Brian Peterson, a Jacksonville resident.

"I'm glad that it wasn't just another millionaire making more money," said Darrell Luttrell, who also lives in Jacksonville. "I'm glad it was a working class family that got the money."

CASH Only

Mr West might as well have APPEARED on television, with all we already know about him and his family.

Chewie

Any news on the supposed news conference? You would have thought the MUSL would be milking it for all it was worth about now.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Ok, maybe we should all just change our names to "West." Seems to be a very lucky name.

SEVEN BUTLER COUNTY WOMEN SHARE $853,492 POWERBALL PRIZE

National City Bank Employees share a second-tier prize from Oct. 19 Powerball drawing

MIDDLETOWN -- The seven employees of a National City Bank branch located at

364 Center Avenue
in Butler jointly won an $853,492 prize in a recent Powerball drawing. 

Cindy Holben of Chicora and Marian West, Patricia Heyl, Deborah Schnur, Kimberly Hughes, Susan Sheptak and Charlene Cook – all of Butler – plan to equally divide the $853,492 prize.  The co-workers’ winning ticket matched all five white balls, 07-21-43-44-49, but not the red Powerball, 29, in the Wednesday, Oct. 19, Powerball drawing. 

West, who purchased the winning ticket and claimed the prize on behalf of the group, said this was the first time the seven co-workers purchased Powerball tickets together.  Each contributed $5, and West purchased 35 Powerball tickets at lunchtime on the day of the drawing.

“We took pictures of the tickets and locked them up at the bank,” West said.

West said she and Heyl were the first to realize that they held a winning ticket, and they quickly called the rest of the group members to share the news. 

“This really is going to make a big difference for all of us,” said Holben, the bank’s manager.  “But until we actually see the money, it’s kind of hard for us to tell what we’ll do with it.”

The National City Bank employees’ winning ticket was purchased at a Sheetz Inc., store located at 100 Freeport Road in Butler.  Sheetz will receive a $5,000 bonus for selling the winning ticket. 

One jackpot-winning ticket was sold in Oregon for the Oct. 19 Powerball drawing.  The record jackpot has an annuity value of $340 million and a cash value of $164.4 million.  Ten tickets sold in Pennsylvania matched five-of-five white ball numbers to win $853,492 each.  The second prize ticket holders receive $200,000 for matching all five Powerball numbers, plus an additional $653,492 from the first-ever Match 5 Bonus Prize Pool, for total winnings of $853,492, less 25 percent federal withholding.

In Pennsylvania, Powerball and PowerPlay sales totaled more than $130 million for the record Powerball jackpot run from August 13 through Oct. 19.  Since 32.2 cents of every Lottery dollar is dedicated to programs benefiting older residents, the jackpot run contributed almost $42 million to the Lottery Fund.

http://www.palottery.state.pa.us/lottery/cwp/view.asp?a=11&Q=479562&PM=1

Mr West might as well have APPEARED on television, with all we already know about him and his family.

Yeah, I wondered why he didn't want to have his picture shown. It doesn't seem bother him to talk to the press constantly. But if it were me, I wouldn't want my picture taken either, but I also wouldn't have been talking to the press the way he and his family have been doing.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

"this was the first time the seven co-workers purchased Powerball tickets together...."

Ah yes, let's not forget all the "first times" either. How do we go back to the first time? Funny I never heard, "We are very happy with our winnings. This is the 30,000th time we have played, and it will be good to get some of that money back." I think when I win I am going to say that.

CASH Only

Yeah, I wondered why he didn't want to have his picture shown. It doesn't seem bother him to talk to the press constantly. But if it were me, I wouldn't want my picture taken either, but I also wouldn't have been talking to the press the way he and his family have been doing.

Maybe Mr West forgot about radio.

Iesha Kelly

"this was the first time the seven co-workers purchased Powerball tickets together...."

Ah yes, let's not forget all the "first times" either. How do we go back to the first time? Funny I never heard, "We are very happy with our winnings. This is the 30,000th time we have played, and it will be good to get some of that money back." I think when I win I am going to say that.

LOL  i hope you win so you can do precisely that.

keep your promise ;)

CASH Only

keep your promise ;)

My first (and only) time with the Texas Megaplier I won $6 with the only ticket I bought. If only I won every time I played a game for the first time.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

keep your promise ;)

Oh you can count on it. That kind of stuff is right up my alley. :) Might not be too far from the truth either. LOL!

Chewie

Maybe the West's finally hired a lawyer that was smart enough to tell them to shutup - and that you need more then one financial adviser. Hopefully they correct the compass.

CASH Only

Maybe the West's finally hired a lawyer that was smart enough to tell them to shutup - and that you need more then one financial adviser. Hopefully they correct the compass.

"Correct the compass"? I suppose you mean "make a 180-degree turn".

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Yes, from WEST to EAST. LOL!

CASH Only

Yes, from WEST to EAST. LOL!

Gee, I hadn't thought of that one. I'm so concerned about how they will choose.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story