Mega Millions lottery jackpot rises to $128 million

Oct 24, 2005, 9:51 am (23 comments)

Mega Millions

The jackpot in the multi-state Mega Millions lottery has grown to $128 million.

None of the tickets sold for Friday's $108 million drawing matched all five lotto numbers and the Mega Ball. The next drawing will be Tuesday.

There were nine second-prize winners: 2 from California, 1 from Michigan, 1 from New Jersey, 3 from New York, 1 from Ohio and 1 from Texas.  Each ticket matched all five lotto numbers but not the Mega Ball number to win $250,000.  The California second-prize winners will receive $554,347 each, due to California's pari-mutuel prize structure.

Also, 54 players matched four of the five lotto numbers, plus the Mega Ball number. Those tickets are each worth $10,000.  Seven of those winners were from California, and will receive $9,029 each.

The winning numbers from Friday's drawing were: 11, 17, 28, 29, and 36. The Mega Ball number was 42.

The Texas Megaplier was 3.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

Chewie

$128M annuity and $78M cash and no one in this group considers this a discussion item? This is a H-U-G-E amount of money. When does the interest start - $200M?

winner2b

lol Chewie, i think most are despondant that that dude won in Oregon! i'm gonna buy my ticket tonite and dance to victory... Party

JAG331

Chewie,

I think it's closer to $300m nowadays.

wizeguy's avatarwizeguy

$128M annuity and $78M cash and no one in this group considers this a discussion item? This is a H-U-G-E amount of money. When does the interest start - $200M?

Gee Chewie, maybe we all should camp out at Lottery Post like you so we can be the first to pounce on new news articles.

I'd be happy to win a jackpot on the first round. Course if it rolls a few rounds more I'd be even happier. Would be nice to see something close to last Powerball jackpot too so NC might be as inclined to go with MM. Thumbs Up

NoCompLotto!

I know no one is lying, because I just checked out the cash option value at ohiolottery.com, but for this "small" of a JP, how can the cash option be that high??

"Gee Chewie, maybe we all should camp out at Lottery Post like you so we can be the first to pounce on new news articles."

ROFL

Chewie

Gee Chewie, maybe we all should camp out at Lottery Post like you so we can be the first to pounce on new news articles.

I'd be happy to win a jackpot on the first round. Course if it rolls a few rounds more I'd be even happier. Would be nice to see something close to last Powerball jackpot too so NC might be as inclined to go with MM. Thumbs Up

Duh, been this amount since Saturday night. It is now Monday! The article was new, the jackpot isn't. Early bird and the worm type of thing.

Feel free to camp out if you wish. Feel free to contribute to the financial upkeep also. Then you could consider each post a return on your investment. Nice concept, return on investment.

bellyache's avatarbellyache

I don't play MM, but if I did I would play it even if it the jackpot wasn't huge.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

I went over to Indiana to play PowerBall last week because I had a ticket from May to cash in and the Jackpot was over $300M, but I almost always play MegaMillions because I can play it locally.  I usually buy more tickets when the jackpot gets bigger. Now that Super Lotto Plus is eliminated, it and Rolling Cash5 are the only games in Ohio that I play. 

weshar75's avatarweshar75

I think it has been over 3 years since the last $300 million jackpot for mega millions so they are due for a record for mega millions.

JimmySand9

I think people know they don't have a very good chance at winning it, so they wait until it gets big enough  to make the gamble worthwhile. My dad works in NJ, so I'll see if he can get them Friday (he's off Tuesday). IMHO, Pick-6 Lotto is the better deal in NJ right now.

destinedtowin

Hey Chewie,  I have been busy with school commitments but I have bought my ticket and am ready to win this jackpot. I don't care if its only 10million I'm ready to win.

Good luck to all that play this week.

as always I'm Destinedtowin.

Chewie

I think people know they don't have a very good chance at winning it, so they wait until it gets big enough  to make the gamble worthwhile. My dad works in NJ, so I'll see if he can get them Friday (he's off Tuesday). IMHO, Pick-6 Lotto is the better deal in NJ right now.

Thats strange. You're in Pennsylvania and like New Jersey Pick 6. I'm in New Jersey and like Pennsylvania Match 6 better. Guess the grass is greener on the other side, and we always want what some one else has.

Todd's avatarTodd

Thats strange. You're in Pennsylvania and like New Jersey Pick 6. I'm in New Jersey and like Pennsylvania Match 6 better. Guess the grass is greener on the other side, and we always want what some one else has.

I can't say I agree with you on that one.  I don't like Match 6 at all -- I much prefer NJ's lottery games.  To me, a good lottery game is when you take out all the gimmicks and stick with the basics.  IMHO, Pennsylvania desparately needs a regular lotto game.

fiona$'s avatarfiona$

I live in Indiana & work for a trucking company, every time it gets over $100mil I send a couple of $ with a driver who goes to Ohio. I've driven the 50 mile round trip to the nearest Ohio store. Gas prices being what they are its cheeper to send money with some who's already going 

I like the fact that the MM cash option is larger than PB would be for the same $128mil annunity. 

Fiona$

White Bounce

LetMeWinIt2

Embarassed

I'm buying my mega million ticket for tonight.

I hope I will win soon 2!!!!!!

Chewie

I can't say I agree with you on that one.  I don't like Match 6 at all -- I much prefer NJ's lottery games.  To me, a good lottery game is when you take out all the gimmicks and stick with the basics.  IMHO, Pennsylvania desparately needs a regular lotto game.

You're probably right. Since my exercise is based on dumb luck, I go with what I win with. I have made more on PA Match 6, then NJ Pick6, or NY Pick6. When NY or NJ returns more to me, I'll switch positions. Nothing like winning money to test a persons true beliefs.

CASH Only

chewie:

NJ Pick 6 pays back much better than NY Lotto. Plus you have to pay state tax on NY Lotto winnings-if you ever win anything in NY Lotto.

Chewie

chewie:

NJ Pick 6 pays back much better than NY Lotto. Plus you have to pay state tax on NY Lotto winnings-if you ever win anything in NY Lotto.

Right now my tax debt on NY Pick 6 is zero. Let me win the NY Pick 6, and tax complaints will be made with a smile on my face. I will concede, however, that I have lost more on NY Pick 6 then I have on NJ Pick 6; but both have been a loss. Rough numbers are, I have lost a few hundred on each NJ & NY over the past 4-years, but have won over a thousand on Match 6 in one year.

tg636

To me, the lowest possible jackpot of $12 million is a huge amount, and whether it is $12 million or $128 million I can only say "I hope I win it". 

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

I know no one is lying, because I just checked out the cash option value at ohiolottery.com, but for this "small" of a JP, how can the cash option be that high??

"Gee Chewie, maybe we all should camp out at Lottery Post like you so we can be the first to pounce on new news articles."

ROFL

You're looking at it backwards. The "jackpot" is based on the cash available to buy the annuity and the way the annuity is paid out, so the right question is why is the jackpot so small when they have that much cash. The answer is that the Megamillions annuity is paid in equal installments over a shorter period than Powerball (and current interest rates aren't very impressive). If you wanted to you could structure an annuity so that  each $1 up front returns $5 over the life of the annuity. In fact, that's one way of building a retirement fund if you start early and wait 25 or 30 years to start collecting. But what's the point of winning the lottery if you have to wait 20 years or more to get the money?

Chewie

I want that great big cardboard check with $128,000,000.00 written on it.  Then I could glue, on it, the little biddy deposit slip with $57,000,000.00 written on it by the bank.  That would look so good over the fireplace. The quest shoud be achieved later this week.

Todd's avatarTodd

I want that great big cardboard check with $128,000,000.00 written on it.  Then I could glue, on it, the little biddy deposit slip with $57,000,000.00 written on it by the bank.  That would look so good over the fireplace. The quest shoud be achieved later this week.

Actually, you'll only be getting $28,500,000, because I'm going to share it with you. Big Grin

Chewie

Actually, you'll only be getting $28,500,000, because I'm going to share it with you. Big Grin

Half is more than enough for me. Call me and tell me where you hid your ticket. I'll save you a trip to Trenton. Promise!

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story