Powerball lottery winners talk about hitting the jackpot

Nov 8, 2005, 2:28 pm (93 comments)

Powerball

Remember the Powerball winners from southern Oregon? Well, they almost didn't win.

When Carolyn West's parents asked her if she wanted to "go in" on a Powerball ticket, her husband told her not to waste her money. She didn't listen to him, and it turned out to be a decision worth millions.

"I told my wife we never win at that, let's go up to Seven Feathers and play some blackjack and have a good evening, but she has a mind of her own so she whispered to her dad and mom, 'go ahead, we'll go in with you,' and the rest is history," Steve West said during an interview Monday.

The two couples — Steve and Carolyn West and Bob and Frances Cheney — will split the $340 million jackpot. They plan to cash in the ticket in on Tuesday at the Oregon Lottery headquarters in Salem.

Carolyn West said she feels relieved that she and her husband won't have to worry about paying for a college education for their children.

When asked what they'll do if their kids develop an appetite for expensive gifts, the couple said they've already addressed that.

"We've already told them Christmas is going to be just like it's always been…we're not going to change anything," Steve West said.

After taxes, the money would come to $7.6 million a year for 30 years or a lump sum of $110 million.

The families live in the small town of Jacksonville, where they bought the winning ticket last month.

KGW

Comments

DoubleDown

"We've already told them Christmas is going to be just like it's always been…we're not going to change anything," Steve West said

Yeah, Right !!!! 

Bradly_60's avatarBradly_60

"Good we matched the powerball, we won at least $5"  For jackpot winners it didn't seem like they knew much about the game.  But congratulations to them.  At least they weren't millionaires already like the last record powerball winner.  haha

Brad

clunker's avatarclunker

damn, it's so exciting watching winning stories, i don't know why

four4me

I like the part where she said she checked several Internet sites so you just got to know she found this site wonder if she will reply to these threads to verify that fact.

I'm glad they got the hard part over with. Now the fun begins and they will have a lifetime to do everything they always dreamed of doing. Congratulations to them.

piedmontmed's avatarpiedmontmed

this don't add up. steve said he didn't want to buy any tickets he just wanted to go to bull feathers and [play blackjack} carolynn whispered in her mom & dads ear that she would go in with them. the next story says they were just ridind around and decided to buy some tickets. something just don't sound right about this. maybe they are confussed like grandpa saying he bought a humbee.

Chewie

Ahhhh, nice to know that their life isn't going to change. Same $20.00 limit on Christmas gifts, pay for college, and go back to normal.

I can smell it all the way to New Jersey!

Editgap

this don't add up. steve said he didn't want to buy any tickets he just wanted to go to bull feathers and [play blackjack} carolynn whispered in her mom & dads ear that she would go in with them. the next story says they were just ridind around and decided to buy some tickets. something just don't sound right about this. maybe they are confussed like grandpa saying he bought a humbee.

It all really sounds suspicious.

Todd's avatarTodd

I'm glad someone else picked up on that "humbee" comment.  LOL  Personally, I was wondering what the heck he wanted to buy it for, when he can't even drive!  I guess anyone who wins the lottery needs to buy a new car, no matter what.  It's like salmon going back to their native streams.

bellyache's avatarbellyache

They all seem confused. They can't even keep their stories straight on how they bought the tickets in the first place.

bks2

Am I the only one who wouldn't want to be on tv if I won the lottery ? The old guy doesn't look to good, he looks like me might not live to much longer. Atleast the kids should enjoy the money as long as they let people forget what they look like. When I win I'll do as little as the lottery will let me, and no Tv interviews.  

delS

bks2-

You are not alone.  When I win tonight, I'll live the rest of my life proving, you can live without being in front of the press, tv.'s microphones, etc.  It will be a little like $30,000,000 less than the West's money, but $82,000,000 overall is not a bad haul.  lolololololo

shalini

hellooooo...I'm planning to win...5 tkts from PTS lucky pix...

KYPower418's avatarKYPower418

Well, they got that over with. Now we can move on with life LOL. BTW has Missouri's winner stepped forward yet?

2 observations I noticed:

1) Does anyone think Mr. Chaney looks like Fred Mertz (that's the name I think) from I Love Lucy?

2) Is plaid still in? Not being rude, I don't see alot of people wear plaid nowadays. When I saw Mrs. West wear it, I wondered if it is still popular. Just wondering LOL

Other than that, seems like a pretty regular family. I didn't see what they had on the family since I was at work but to me, the Wests/Chaneys don't look as creepy as the family we all got to know in love up in the coal mine state of West Virginia!

LckyLary

If they do have a "normal" Christmas I will feel happy for them. Normal like when I was a kid and Father Claus would send me upstairs and put presents under the tree and there were cookies baking in the oven and carolers at the door. We weren't rich or anything but I miss those days. If you can afford to give a gift to everyone you love then it's just as good as for any jackpot winners (or better, in some cases).

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

If they are going to just let the money sit and collect dust, and have just another "normal Christmas," why the heck would they even bother playing? I can see a certain amount of frugality, but living as you once did is kind of ridiculous, especially if you did not have much money. But I think they had plenty regardless. $340 million is not "normal" by any means. But that is the problem with all these winners, they don't need the money to begin with. 

Problem is that they already have too much as it is, so they need to blow it on something. So they don't have a clue what to do with it when they get it, nor do they seem to even know how much $340 millions is. I guess I should just start playing the powerball from now on and never expect to win, and act like I don't care. Although contradictory to all I have read about positive imaging/thinking, maybe it will help more. Course over-embellishment, and 'fantasy stories' at the last second also make for a better story...

DoubleDown

If they are going to just let the money sit and collect dust, and have just another "normal Christmas," why the heck would they even bother playing? I can see a certain amount of frugality, but living as you once did is kind of ridiculous, especially if you did not have much money. But I think they had plenty regardless. $340 million is not "normal" by any means. But that is the problem with all these winners, they don't need the money to begin with. 

I Agree!

That's why I said "Yeah Right" about Christmas being normal.

Nothing in their lives will be "normal" any more.

BTW, This is a good problem to have !

Chewie

If I win tonight, I would be playing President of the United States at Christamas - spend, spend, spend, spend.  Hitting $100M take-home cash, and telling my grand daughter should cou;dn't have something extra would be cruel punishment.  Besides, can you imagine the New Years eve party I could throw for my friends! W-O-W !

Screw the normal life!!  There would be Dirty Old Man On The Loose signs every where!!!

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Nice boring stories, they are following the 'anti-famous press conference playbook' to the letter.

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

Am I the only one who wouldn't want to be on tv if I won the lottery ? The old guy doesn't look to good, he looks like me might not live to much longer. Atleast the kids should enjoy the money as long as they let people forget what they look like. When I win I'll do as little as the lottery will let me, and no Tv interviews.  

If you win Powerball, you won't have a choice if you want to collect your money. I'm pretty sure one of the rules is that all Powerball jackpot winners must appear at a press conference if requested. The advertising is a big deal for them and showing big winners promotes ticket sales as we live vicariously through the jackpot winners. Since all lottery winners are recorded, anyone who asks can get their name, city of residence and amount won. Of course that doesn't include a street address or telephone number, but if I won millions, I'd disappear into anonymity for a while, maybe to Central America, and slip back when all the hoopla was over. I'd like to live a "normal life" too but I can't see how it's possible if everyone knows you are stinkin rich.

Todd's avatarTodd

Well, they got that over with. Now we can move on with life LOL. BTW has Missouri's winner stepped forward yet?

2 observations I noticed:

1) Does anyone think Mr. Chaney looks like Fred Mertz (that's the name I think) from I Love Lucy?

2) Is plaid still in? Not being rude, I don't see alot of people wear plaid nowadays. When I saw Mrs. West wear it, I wondered if it is still popular. Just wondering LOL

Other than that, seems like a pretty regular family. I didn't see what they had on the family since I was at work but to me, the Wests/Chaneys don't look as creepy as the family we all got to know in love up in the coal mine state of West Virginia!

Yes!  I knew he reminded me of someone -- you're right, it's Fred!  And his wife did seem like Ethel! 

mken32's avatarmken32

"We've already told them Christmas is going to be just like it's always been…we're not going to change anything," Steve West said

Yeah, Right !!!! 

That was their lawyer speaking through them I am sure that it would change alot of things.

mken32's avatarmken32

Nice boring stories, they are following the 'anti-famous press conference playbook' to the letter.

AMEN Brother.... it was so boring watching em tell that fat lie... I did like when Cheney said he saw the Yellow Hummer and bought it that's what I am talking about enjoy life to the FULLEST while you can......

Chewie

If you win Powerball, you won't have a choice if you want to collect your money. I'm pretty sure one of the rules is that all Powerball jackpot winners must appear at a press conference if requested. The advertising is a big deal for them and showing big winners promotes ticket sales as we live vicariously through the jackpot winners. Since all lottery winners are recorded, anyone who asks can get their name, city of residence and amount won. Of course that doesn't include a street address or telephone number, but if I won millions, I'd disappear into anonymity for a while, maybe to Central America, and slip back when all the hoopla was over. I'd like to live a "normal life" too but I can't see how it's possible if everyone knows you are stinkin rich.

The spotlight only shines because you refuse to turn off the switch.  Lots of people hold a news conference, keep their mouths shut, other than to say thanks, and move on.  These clowns are spotlight addicted already.

Another case of limited mental capacity now being rich with a limited mental capaciity.

BabyJC's avatarBabyJC

I feel bad for the kids if they still have a "regular" Christmas after winning Powerball.  Bah-humbug... Splurge on those kids big time!

libra926

HAPPY WEDNESDAY......11/09/05

CHEWIE:

"Ahhhh, nice to know that their life isn't going to change. Same $20.00 limit on Christmas gifts, pay for college, and go back to normal.

I can smell it all the way to New Jersey!"

LOLOLOLOL.....Nothing in the World better than your facetous, cynical & sarcastic remarks....I never get enough....seriously....I look forward to reading all your posts.....and of course you are not the only one on here who is good at that, but you are one of the BEST.....LOLOLOLOL

Truthfully, personally, I don't think that winning such an enormous sum has really hit them yet. I believe they are all still in shock.......I would be.......Patriot

libra926

Maybe Steve West had never purchased a Lottery ticket before, but someone in the family has done it before......and liked it....So, this time, they decided to try again, and Carolyn is smart because she went in with her Mom & Dad.....Her parents are not strangers to this game...and I don't think she is either...............

Now, time for ..............Lurking& Champaigne....or would that be tooooo muchhhh like splurging????

QWho2020

"That night, I got on the internet and was checking the numbers and at first I checked the Powerball and saw that it was 29 and thought, good at least we got $5 back and then I was checking the others and I just could not believe we had all five," said Frances.

Match First 5
+
Match Mega Ball
No. of
Winners
Prize Amount
5 + 0 ***
$250,000
4 + 1 ***
$10,000
4 + 0 ***
$150
3 + 1 ***
$150
2 + 1 ***
$10
3 + 0 ***
$7
1 + 1 ***
$3
0 + 1 ***
$2

Is there any $5 prize on this list?????????????????????????????????? 

Well Qwho2020, it's just one of many "stories" that this family has told. They can't keep track of them any more. And yeah, I don't see $5.00 on that list. =)

Chewie

I am sure I will be muttering gibberish when I hit the MM for $154M cash Friday night.  My hands wil be shaking, I'll have trouble dialing the lawyers house Saturday morning.  However, I think, after 18 days, I will have my senses back to normal.  It money she won, not a vision to a burning bush!

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

I guess since "nothing is going to change" for them, which basically means they didn't really need the money, and it will simply sit in the bank, that is even more of an open invitation for others to ask them for kind donations. It is not like they are going to be really using it anyway according to them.

"Another case of limited mental capacity now being rich with a limited mental capaciity." ... Chewie

I like the way you put that, Chewie and I agree. I was only saying that the winner has to make a public appearance.  I wonder if I could wear a wig and dark glasses? Cool  I don't even remember the name of the last big winners (or where I put my keys!) but it's funny that I do know who Jack Whittaker is, so it takes all kinds I guess.  At least he did a lot of good with his money until he went besserk. As crazy as I am, I can't ever see having a lot of money as being a burden. 

LottoLin

Well the family made sure they brought every tom dick and harry to the TV deal. The thing I don't understand is our local paper when they were checking on who bought the ticket, the paper said the store had a video of the cashier area and the son of the Wests is the one that bought the ticket. He was even e-mailing the newspaper reporter and said his dad had the winning ticket. Now it's Gramma and Grampa that asked the daughter and her husband to go in on the ticket together. Is the correct story ever going to come out?

DoubleDown

Well the family made sure they brought every tom dick and harry to the TV deal. The thing I don't understand is our local paper when they were checking on who bought the ticket, the paper said the store had a video of the cashier area and the son of the Wests is the one that bought the ticket. He was even e-mailing the newspaper reporter and said his dad had the winning ticket. Now it's Gramma and Grampa that asked the daughter and her husband to go in on the ticket together. Is the correct story ever going to come out?

Doesn't matter now. Who cares ? They got the $$$$$$$$$$$$$

If they want to, they can go to Vegas and rent a suite at Bellagio for a while and get massages, facials, hand jobs, BJ's -- WHATEVER !!!

They got the Jack to do it and we just keep on hoping we can do the same.

Until we do...take my advice and Double Down when the opportunity presents itself !!!!!!!

Good luck !

LoL Todd! I thought I was the only one who throught he looked like Fred Mertz! But seriously, it does make you feel a little good inside when you see an older person win-bless his heart, he is probably doesn't know what to do with his winnings-besides getting the Hummer :)

shalini

The Indian newspapers had a " happy family" photo this morning of steve west and family holding their ginormous cheque of 340...all smiling, naturally!!!

Chewie

LoL Todd! I thought I was the only one who throught he looked like Fred Mertz! But seriously, it does make you feel a little good inside when you see an older person win-bless his heart, he is probably doesn't know what to do with his winnings-besides getting the Hummer :)

Actually it does nothing to see some old dude claim the money.  All I see is massive losses due to death taxes; what is it in the multi-million rage, some where around 50%.   This guy has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.  His enjoyment is going to be limited to an electric wheelchair with side mirrors.  I am not looking for some teeny-bopper to win, that would be the opposite.  Just some mature person, with an IQ above above a slug.  Some one who can have atleast 20 years of F-U-N and who wants to have F-U-N. 

His son-in-law is 40-years younger, but still a wimp, doing whatever the wifey tells him to do.  Yes, dear, I'll buy a ticket. Yes, dear, we'll live normal.  Yes, dear, I'll take the trash out.  No, dear, nothing special with the money.  Whatever you want dear.  No, dear, we'll only spend $20.00 for Christmas.  Then the kids can act like animals for the left-overs when we die.

Sheesh!!!  First they loose thousand, probably hundreds of thousands, in interest, then their goal is to loose millions to death tax.  Sheesh!!  My friends are right, in order to win the lottery, I am going to have to lower my IQ by 50%.  How many times can you say duj in 18 days.

MH87893

"That night, I got on the internet and was checking the numbers and at first I checked the Powerball and saw that it was 29 and thought, good at least we got $5 back and then I was checking the others and I just could not believe we had all five," said Frances.

Match First 5
+
Match Mega Ball
No. of
Winners
Prize Amount
5 + 0 ***
$250,000
4 + 1 ***
$10,000
4 + 0 ***
$150
3 + 1 ***
$150
2 + 1 ***
$10
3 + 0 ***
$7
1 + 1 ***
$3
0 + 1 ***
$2

Is there any $5 prize on this list?????????????????????????????????? 

First of all, you printed out the Mega Millions prize table, not the Powerball, which is slightly different.

Second, she could have bought Power Play which would have multiplied the $3 prize by 5 (I think that was it).

Third, if I won I would have issued a disclaimer saying that anything I said in the next three months would automatically be discounted until my brain has a chance to re-engage. 

Mike

Experience - what you learn when you make mistakes, again.

Chewie, you actually sound angry at them for winning! It's just luck and any idiot can play. Regarding age, in FL there have been many winners in their 70s and 80s. I agree that, because of estate taxes, it makes more sense to give the ticket to a younger relative you trust or have the ticket claimed by a group, instead of leaving it in a will. Either way taxes are unavoidable, but a good tax lawyer or financial planner should be able to set up trusts to reduce them.  If you go to the FL site and click on winners, the first picture is of a woman who lived a few years after she won. She died at 69 (which is young to me!) but she was very philanthropic and helped a lot of people.  It's just a game and anyone from 18 to 108 has the right to win and enjoy it.  Many successful, wealthy people win too.  I do see your point about the interest loss. I never could understand why people wait 3 or 4 months, and in some cases the maximum (here it's 6 months) because the interest alone would buy me a nice house. However, if I won hundreds of millions, I probably wouldn't be thinking about that either.  Idiots don't just win the lottery, many of them inherit money too. Look at Paris Hilton who is sexy, but certainly has no apparent talent - so what's the difference? It's all the luck of the draw. Well I hope you win some day - after I do of course!

Chewie

Chewie, you actually sound angry at them for winning!

No anger, just an enormous dissapointment. 

It is hard to get excited for someone who is ready to die.  The statement was made in regards to about feeling food because the old guy won.  My position has nothing to do with age, there are thousand of elderly out there running past me on the exercise track.  My position is, for this particular person, there is nothing to get excited about.  Look at the video.  He can't hardly move.  Buy a Hummer, and then need two assistants to get in and out of it?  Drive it maybe 100 miles, then leave it parked.  Nothing exciting there.

The response had zero to do with how much a person can give away. It was about the winner having the ability to have fun with the money.  I will concede, it may be fund, sitting around giving away every penny, but nothing in what they said, and they said a lot, refers to anything like that happening.  Just keeping up the same old life.  Old people, who accept being old, are not exciting.  I made the appropriate positive comment about him; a wheel chair with mirrors.

And what about the janitor in Massachusetts who continued to work? Having worked hard all her life, I was happy for her, but couldn't believe the idea of being wealthy wouldn't sink into her brain. She said she had no idea what it was like to have money. I hope she gave it to her grandchildren! You might have read this article, but I like this paragraph..

Ralph and Mary Stebbins won $208 million when they bought a Mega Millions game in Port Huron, Mich., this spring. The first thing they did was buy a cow, the second was to buy a vintage 1963 Corvette, and the third was to change their phone number and disappear from public view

I always wondered about the sequence of events. The vette I can understand, but how do you disappear with a cow? lol

JAG331

Haha.  I remember that drawing.  We all thought whats-his-name was going to rebuild Detroit with the money.  All Mrs. Stebbins wanted was a show cow.

Chewie

My point - boring. They could have accomplished all of their dreams with a dollar two ninety eight.  Zero imagination.  The whole universe, and the best they can come up with is a fully paid cow.  The 'vette was a little imagnative.  Not even a trip to "Didney World" on the agenda.  This type of person doesn't see beyond their nose, whether driving a car or planning what to wear that afternoon.  Cute? Sure.  A bubble bath tub full of kittens is also cute.  Not exactly $200 million dollars worth of cute though.

libra926

HAPPY THURSDAY CHEWIE:.......LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOL

"His son-in-law is 40-years younger, but still a wimp, doing whatever the wifey tells him to do.  Yes, dear, I'll buy a ticket. Yes, dear, we'll live normal.  Yes, dear, I'll take the trash out.  No, dear, nothing special with the money.  Whatever you want dear.  No, dear, we'll only spend $20.00 for Christmas.  Then the kids can act like animals for the left-overs when we die."

"Sheesh!!!  First they loose thousand, probably hundreds of thousands, in interest, then their goal is to loose millions to death tax.  Sheesh!!  My friends are right, in order to win the lottery, I am going to have to lower my IQ by 50%.  How many times can you say duj in 18 days."

May I say, you are toooooo prime.....I can't stop.Tooooo prime.....LOLOLOLOLOL.  I'm just sorry we aren't all sitting in your living room right now, discussing this, the room would roll with great laughter and debate.................I've read all your posts, and tears are rolling down my cheeks......

(btw) in all fairness to Carolyn, the wife, Steve West said voluntarily on GMA, 2 Sundays ago that their lives would not change, despite the money, and he'd invest 99%.....of it...He sounded like the very frugal type to me.......Afterall, she bought the tickets w/her parents, he tried to dissuade her from even doing that.Patriot

libra926

HAPPY THURSDAY "JUST"....11/10

"I wonder if I could wear a wig and dark glasses? Cool  I don't even remember the name of the last big winners (or where I put my keys!) but it's funny that I do know who Jack Whittaker is, so it takes all kinds I guess.  At least he did a lot of good with his money until he went besserk. As crazy as I am, I can't ever see having a lot of money as being a burden. "

You are another very talented poster.  Now I would know who to look for, if you ever win....(btw) In my State, here in Maryland....we are fortunate in having the option of Hiring representatives to accept the Prize winnings, or hold a Press Conference..I would hold the Press Conference, because I don't care who knows I won. I really don't. I am going to enjoy my $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ from start to finish.  No wigs or dark glasses for me...

Addendeum:  As I have mentioned  previously in other posts we should leave Jack Whittaker in peace. He did indeed, as you write, make a wonderful difference in Hurricane WVA.He helped his community in many wonderful ways. Like the rest of us, he is human and has his "foibles" or weaknessess. Millions of Americans have Alcohol problems, but never make a positive/significant difference in the lives of others. Jack did. He's paid for his good times and certainly his bad times. He truly gave unselfishly, and thru his heart. Many people only give when there is something in it for them.

I hope only the very best for he and his Family..............Patriot

What I meant was it was a little bittersweet seeing an elderly person win part of it, that's all. That's just my opinion :) However-it does seem to appear,due to previous PB winners LOL, not only young folks can have a shaky life after winning. Jack was about 60 something when he won and look where he ended up LOL. So I guess age doesn't matter when you win-just all depends what you do with it and how you live your life once you won it.

Who really cares what they do with their money? It's their money. A cow might not be exciting to some, but maybe they always wanted one. Plus, I like the fact that they just disappeared with their money and shut up. I'll take one of them over a J.W. any time.

Me too!

CASH Only

What I meant was it was a little bittersweet seeing an elderly person win part of it, that's all. That's just my opinion :) However-it does seem to appear,due to previous PB winners LOL, not only young folks can have a shaky life after winning. Jack was about 60 something when he won and look where he ended up LOL. So I guess age doesn't matter when you win-just all depends what you do with it and how you live your life once you won it.

AFAIK the oldest lottery winner is 94 (at the time)-year-old Louise Outing of MA. She made the mistake of hitting an annuity-only jackpot game.

LckyLary

I feel very sad about Mr. Whittaker. His escapades were almost entertaining until he lost his granddaughter around last Christmas. That's what I mean about a "normal" Christmas - one in which there are not any tragedies caused directly or indirectly by the money and attention.

Some Powerball and MegaMillions winners were listed as being "Trust Funds". There apparently is a way to be anonymous.

Chewie

Some Powerball and MegaMillions winners were listed as being "Trust Funds". There apparently is a way to be anonymous.

Trust fund members, LLC members, etc. are public information. 

rlevins

Trust fund members, LLC members, etc. are public information. 

Although I am not sure, I think that it is public information only if the organization is a charity. Private trust/foundations (if they are not non-profit) are not in public domain.

HAPPY THURSDAY "JUST"....11/10

"I wonder if I could wear a wig and dark glasses? Cool  I don't even remember the name of the last big winners (or where I put my keys!) but it's funny that I do know who Jack Whittaker is, so it takes all kinds I guess.  At least he did a lot of good with his money until he went besserk. As crazy as I am, I can't ever see having a lot of money as being a burden. "

You are another very talented poster.  Now I would know who to look for, if you ever win....(btw) In my State, here in Maryland....we are fortunate in having the option of Hiring representatives to accept the Prize winnings, or hold a Press Conference..I would hold the Press Conference, because I don't care who knows I won. I really don't. I am going to enjoy my $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ from start to finish.  No wigs or dark glasses for me...

Addendeum:  As I have mentioned  previously in other posts we should leave Jack Whittaker in peace. He did indeed, as you write, make a wonderful difference in Hurricane WVA.He helped his community in many wonderful ways. Like the rest of us, he is human and has his "foibles" or weaknessess. Millions of Americans have Alcohol problems, but never make a positive/significant difference in the lives of others. Jack did. He's paid for his good times and certainly his bad times. He truly gave unselfishly, and thru his heart. Many people only give when there is something in it for them.

I hope only the very best for he and his Family..............Patriot

I wrote an answer earlier, but every time my refrigerator starts, my computer crashes.  Oy! Just what I need. No kidding - called FPL after Wilma and they fixed one problem, but it just happened again. At least my place stopped flickering like a cheap motel sign.  I'm on my laptop (battery power) now. 

Thanks for the compliment. I agree about leaving the poor guy alone. It's just that I can't help it if I keep seeing articles about him and was only using that as an example. His wife commented that she wished she had torn up the ticket. I understand that money can be a burden for people and knew a man who went a little crazy during the 80s when he made millions in real estate development. He bought a Ferrari, a yacht, a mansion and started to drink heavily. When I met him he had turned his life around, so I believe one does have a choice, although I should be the last one to lecture about self improvement.  I agree Mr. Whittaker deserves his privacy, but we live in a world of sensationalism and the ever present paparazzi.  By the way, when we met he sold the Testarossa and moved into a smaller home which proves my timing in life is terrible.  

libra926

Lurking

CHEWIE SAYS: 11/10

"My point - boring. They could have accomplished all of their dreams with a dollar two ninety eight.  Zero imagination.  The whole universe, and the best they can come up with is a fully paid cow.  The 'vette was a little imagnative.  Not even a trip to "Didney World" on the agenda.  This type of person doesn't see beyond their nose, whether driving a car or planning what to wear that afternoon.  Cute? Sure.  A bubble bath tub full of kittens is also cute.  Not exactly $200 million dollars worth of cute though."

MY RESPONSE:

LOLOLOLOL......CHEWIE....a "fully paid cow" gives free fresh milk everyday"......what's wrong with that??LOLOLOLOL.....besides, I'm sure after the shock wears off, they will probably travel, and spruce up their land.....or expand on  it, with $$$$$$$$$ they can afford thousands of acres.......

Just wait till they get really comfortable w/all that $$$$$$$$$$$........

Lurking

CHEWIE SAYS: 11/10

"My point - boring. They could have accomplished all of their dreams with a dollar two ninety eight.  Zero imagination.  The whole universe, and the best they can come up with is a fully paid cow.  The 'vette was a little imagnative.  Not even a trip to "Didney World" on the agenda.  This type of person doesn't see beyond their nose, whether driving a car or planning what to wear that afternoon.  Cute? Sure.  A bubble bath tub full of kittens is also cute.  Not exactly $200 million dollars worth of cute though."

MY RESPONSE:

LOLOLOLOL......CHEWIE....a "fully paid cow" gives free fresh milk everyday"......what's wrong with that??LOLOLOLOL.....besides, I'm sure after the shock wears off, they will probably travel, and spruce up their land.....or expand on  it, with $$$$$$$$$ they can afford thousands of acres.......

Just wait till they get really comfortable w/all that $$$$$$$$$$$........

I know I shouldn't write this, because most people think I'm fooling myself, but I honestly wouldn't want to have an extravagant lifestyle, so I understand their attitude. Maybe a lot of this comes from personal experience, but I had a little money (not millions of course!!) and then got sick and ran into other problems, and realize that the most important things in life are health, happiness and being around people who love you. That being said, anyone who says money isn't important and doesn't buy happiness either never had any or has always had too much.  If I won the lottery I'd have a nicer place to live, sleep better, eat better and always be able to hire the best attorneys and medical practitioners.  The $20,000 I got quoted for implants (talking about teeth!) would be a drop in the bucket. Money is very important in this world no matter how spiritual you are. The reason I said I'd want to remain anonymous is to be able to move to a nice community and quietly become a part of it. I think it would be difficult to live a normal life if all your neighbors kept pointing "Look, there's the lady who won all that money!" Some people don't like all the attention. So I guess Paris Hilton and I have nothing in common. LOL

Chewie

I wrote an answer earlier, but every time my refrigerator starts, my computer crashes.  Oy! Just what I need. No kidding - called FPL after Wilma and they fixed one problem, but it just happened again. At least my place stopped flickering like a cheap motel sign. 

Thats funny. America - 2005! 

CASH Only

I wonder if they're playing Mega Millions. What's another 300-plus million?

dvdiva's avatardvdiva

Even idiots can win the lottery and judging from the top winners evedently it helps. Either that or there are more idiots out there than I know about. As far as the prize goes OR doesn't allow trusts to claim a ticket. Also people keep thinking they have 340 in cash. When are people going to think how much they actually have. It's only 92 million after tax, so 46 million each. Way less than 340 million. Still giving half to someone who's going to kick the bucket soon doesn't seem like a smart move. They should have included the kids in the split.

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

dvdiva- In the most recent Powerball win for the West family. The kids were each set up with 3.5 mill plus their educations were paid for.

I do hope your perhaps slip of the keyboard was the reason for the slight against an elder or the fact they won't be able to live long enough to spend it. Who's to say anyone of us wil be blessed to live out the twighlight years or not struggle with some illness through life.

As rich and informative your postings are, this is one time where I side with each human life has value and none is more worthy then another.

Chewie

dvdiva- In the most recent Powerball win for the West family. The kids were each set up with 3.5 mill plus their educations were paid for.

I do hope your perhaps slip of the keyboard was the reason for the slight against an elder or the fact they won't be able to live long enough to spend it. Who's to say anyone of us wil be blessed to live out the twighlight years or not struggle with some illness through life.

As rich and informative your postings are, this is one time where I side with each human life has value and none is more worthy then another.

You've obviously never had to make a life or death decision.  Some lifes are more valuable then others.  Children are more valuable then the elderly.  Might not sound pretty from the pulpit, but it is a fact practiced every day in most parts of the world.  My life is much more important then the opponent in the bush.  The guy next to me is more valuable then a village.

You've obviously never had to make a life or death decision.  Some lifes are more valuable then others.  Children are more valuable then the elderly.  Might not sound pretty from the pulpit, but it is a fact practiced every day in most parts of the world.  My life is much more important then the opponent in the bush.  The guy next to me is more valuable then a village.

Completely disagree! All life is valuable.  Maybe you think the people who were left to die in the nursing homes in Louisiana were used goods, but only God can make that judgment.

Anyway, we aren't talking about life or death decisions when we're writing about the lottery. If I were in a burning building, I hope I'd make sure the children were out of harm's way before saving my own butt. However, historically age didn't matter in times of crisis as much as gender.  When the Titantic sank I believe they said "women and children first" not "women, children and men under 50."

How old is this guy you're talking about anyway?  My Dad is 91 and still going on cruises.  I've been working with an 81 year old woman who is difficult to keep up with and outsells everyone else.  Grandma Moses lived to 101 and didn't start painting until she was in her 90s and look what she contributed to our world. From a financially responsible viewpoint, I agree that trusts should be set up for younger people to avoid giving the government so much from an estate when you die. But GameGrl is morally right here. 

I wonder if they're playing Mega Millions. What's another 300-plus million?

They just might. But I am sure that they are happy with the amount that they already won.

dvdiva's avatardvdiva

For tax reasons the value of life can be determined by an actuarial table. No one said taxes are ethical or moral.

Chewie

Completely disagree! All life is valuable.  Maybe you think the people who were left to die in the nursing homes in Louisiana were used goods, but only God can make that judgment.

Anyway, we aren't talking about life or death decisions when we're writing about the lottery. If I were in a burning building, I hope I'd make sure the children were out of harm's way before saving my own butt. However, historically age didn't matter in times of crisis as much as gender.  When the Titantic sank I believe they said "women and children first" not "women, children and men under 50."

How old is this guy you're talking about anyway?  My Dad is 91 and still going on cruises.  I've been working with an 81 year old woman who is difficult to keep up with and outsells everyone else.  Grandma Moses lived to 101 and didn't start painting until she was in her 90s and look what she contributed to our world. From a financially responsible viewpoint, I agree that trusts should be set up for younger people to avoid giving the government so much from an estate when you die. But GameGrl is morally right here. 

First of all, and most importantly, God doesn't have a thing to do with who lives or dies. God, at best, is a non-entity, based on faith and nothing more.  Only been documented in one source, and that source is a generation of superstitious indviduals.  Documented by generations of individuals who could neither read, nor write.  People determine who lives or die, and throughout history, man has made that decision based on potentional productivity of the survivor.

The Titanic is a poor example, the law of the sea is constantly abused.  The crew abandoned passengers, regardless of age, by the hundreds.  In the movie, it looked good, it always does.  You would, naturally save your parents, but the world would not stop for them  Review the 9-11 film, count the senior citizens saved. Those that couldn't make it down the stairs on their own, were the last to go, and most died.  By the way, had the house of Grandma Moses caught fire, bet your bottom dollar she was too old to get out the door.

Morality?  Morality, and twenty-five cents, will get you a ten cent cup of coffee in every major city in this country.  It will get you nothing in most countries.  Morality is something that is preached by someone who has sat at the table of comfort all their life.

The bottom line is, some one with one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel cannot be compared.  The old person can't come close to young person in potential productivity or earning power.  Sitting in a chair doesn't count.

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

Gosh-Im pretty sure ten years working in geriatrics qualifies. Please refrain from stating that "obviously never had to make a life or death decision".  Have you ever tried my cooking?? Now that dear one is a life and death decision! so :P

The rest of the so called facts (?) are open to debate.

I still say that if a person wins the lottery - and they met all the validation and checklist, then what is it to anyone if they have a foot in the grave. It doesnt make their winning it any less theirs or any less factual.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

True, you have no business judging others value or worth, nor comparing it. Doing so is pointless anyway, they still got the big loot and you didn't. They got both feet in the gold pot, and that is all that matters NOW. The future is irrelevant to them, as is anyone elses opinion.

I still say that if a person wins the lottery - and they met all the validation and checklist, then what is it to anyone if they have a foot in the grave. It doesnt make their winning it any less theirs or any less factual.

I agree who are we to say who is too old or too young to play. If you put in a dollar or five and you happen to win does it matter if the person is 18 or 80? They have the right to play just as much as anyone else.

fxsterling

ga . once had a 18 year old hotti    picked up check next day    never heard from her again             

Chewie

I never claimed they were to old to win.  Start reading from the beginning and shelve the emotion.  My position was, and is, the gentlemen who won could barely make it to the chair he sat in.  Watch the video. Sure he won, but unless he dumps it all into the ocean, 50% is going to death tax.  I still maintain a younger person, or atleast one with mobility outside of a motorized wheelchair, can benefit from the winning a lot more.

By the way, I can compare whatever I need to compare; and the "pointlessness" is no less valid then 90% of the questions repeatidly asked on this blog.  This blog is made up of opinions, and the ability to respond is inherent.  This is not the end of the world, therefore, the meek have no special place at the table.

For tax reasons the value of life can be determined by an actuarial table. No one said taxes are ethical or moral.

"Value" of life is not a term used by people in the financial industry.  The Law of Large Numbers which is used when determining Mortality Tables is based on statistics and demographics.  I agree that a person with a large fortune has certain responsibilities, including properly allocating his money and setting up a trust to secure the future of your loved ones.  However, that wasn't the subject matter to which I was responding.  Bob Cheney is in poor health, not just because of his age. His wife mentioned that he had been ill for a while.  We have no idea what these people plan to do with their money. Maybe he's building a church or maybe he's going to buy himself a private island. In any event, it's his money!

"value of life can be determined by an actuarial table"

If you want to get technical, the word "value" should be replaced by "risk factor" which is what an actuary uses to predict loss.

Chewie

Hopefully, he is buying a gravesite.

libra926

"I know I shouldn't write this, because most people think I'm fooling myself, but I honestly wouldn't want to have an extravagant lifestyle, so I understand their attitude. Maybe a lot of this comes from personal experience, but I had a little money (not millions of course!!) and then got sick and ran into other problems, and realize that the most important things in life are health, happiness and being around people who love you. That being said, anyone who says money isn't important and doesn't buy happiness either never had any or has always had too much.  If I won the lottery I'd have a nicer place to live, sleep better, eat better and always be able to hire the best attorneys and medical practitioners.  The $20,000 I got quoted for implants (talking about teeth!) would be a drop in the bucket. Money is very important in this world no matter how spiritual you are. The reason I said I'd want to remain anonymous is to be able to move to a nice community and quietly become a part of it. I think it would be difficult to live a normal life if all your neighbors kept pointing "Look, there's the lady who won all that money!" Some people don't like all the attention. So I guess Paris Hilton and I have nothing in common. LOL"

NOVEMBER...14TH....LurkingWink

HI AGAIN "JUST"...........I agree w/some of what you wrote, especially the sentence that says:"That being said, anyone who says money isn't important and doesn't buy happiness either never had any or has always had too much" I couldn't agree more.....in fact , while I won't mention it here, I know that there are certain "pleasures" or "luxuries" that would indeed make my life much sweeter if the day comes, that I had control of several $$$$$$$$$$$.

(BTW) When you do win, "not if" but When you do, don't forget to buy a super deluxe Westinghouse Refrigerator, that won't have any affect on your Spanking Brand New Intel Computer /PCU...no more interruptions when you want to post notes to all the "usual suspects" here on the LotteryPost...........Wink

libra926

CHEWIE SAYS:

"Hopefully, he is buying a gravesite"

Now Chewie.....that's not nice, you know you don't mean that.....

libra926 - ...don't forget to buy a super deluxe Westinghouse Refrigerator, that won't have any affect on your Spanking Brand New Intel Computer 

Unfortunately, I don't own a home any more (temporary I hope) so for now I have to live with what's here. But the first thing I'll do after winning and getting all the financial stuff out of the way is move. I already have several areas picked out, depending on the jackpot size. I'm not a flashy person, but as they say "location, location, location." I've always wanted a home with several acres and a view. 

By the way, I do like your idea, but I'd probably buy a Sub-Zero! 

Chewie

libra926 - ...don't forget to buy a super deluxe Westinghouse Refrigerator, that won't have any affect on your Spanking Brand New Intel Computer 

Unfortunately, I don't own a home any more (temporary I hope) so for now I have to live with what's here. But the first thing I'll do after winning and getting all the financial stuff out of the way is move. I already have several areas picked out, depending on the jackpot size. I'm not a flashy person, but as they say "location, location, location." I've always wanted a home with several acres and a view. 

By the way, I do like your idea, but I'd probably buy a Sub-Zero! 

You lost your home to the hurricane?  Thats too bad.  Win and move close to Rush Limbaugh.  He was bragging the other day, his only damage was some downed plants and trees. (He has his own full power generator.)

fja's avatarfja

"Value" of life is not a term used by people in the financial industry.  The Law of Large Numbers which is used when determining Mortality Tables is based on statistics and demographics.  I agree that a person with a large fortune has certain responsibilities, including properly allocating his money and setting up a trust to secure the future of your loved ones.  However, that wasn't the subject matter to which I was responding.  Bob Cheney is in poor health, not just because of his age. His wife mentioned that he had been ill for a while.  We have no idea what these people plan to do with their money. Maybe he's building a church or maybe he's going to buy himself a private island. In any event, it's his money!

"value of life can be determined by an actuarial table"

If you want to get technical, the word "value" should be replaced by "risk factor" which is what an actuary uses to predict loss.

Maybe Mrs. Cheney is laying out the ground work for Bob's future illnessess.....This is going to be a suprising group of people...Probably gonna be fun to watch.....hope they stay in the limelight.

"You lost your home to the hurricane? Thats too bad. Win and move close to Rush Limbaugh. He wasbragging the other day, his only damage was some downed plants and trees. (He has his own full power generator.) "

No, not from the recent hurricanes, but thanks for asking. It happened a while back, but it's tough to start all over again.  Rush & I wouldn't hit it off. Every time I hear one of his rants, it almost makes me wish I were a bleeding heart liberal again. Fortunately, my brain usually takes over when anemia starts to set in.

It is hard to get excited for someone who is ready to die.  The statement was made in regards to about feeling food because the old guy won.  My position has nothing to do with age, there are thousand of elderly out there running past me on the exercise track.  My position is, for this particular person, there is nothing to get excited about.  Look at the video.  He can't hardly move.  Buy a Hummer, and then need two assistants to get in and out of it?  Drive it maybe 100 miles, then leave it parked.  Nothing exciting there.

The response had zero to do with how much a person can give away. It was about the winner having the ability to have fun with the money.  I will concede, it may be fund, sitting around giving away every penny, but nothing in what they said, and they said a lot, refers to anything like that happening.  Just keeping up the same old life.  Old people, who accept being old, are not exciting.  I made the appropriate positive comment about him; a wheel chair with mirrors.

I once sold an expensive sports car to a paraplegic who was paralyzed from his chest down. He was only around 30 years old.  He sure was a master of those hand controls. When he drove off, one of the salespeople said the guy was lucky! At first I thought he was being cruelly facetious, but he said he'd really like to quit working and get a monthly check for being disabled.  So I guess money to some people has more value than I can imagine. He was actually jealous that this young man had a nice home and a new car-blech.

We all know people who aren't as fortunate as we are. I'm betting there are people on this board who are physically challenged and might need assistance getting in and out of a car, maybe even a chair. That doesn't mean they have any less reason to be elated over winning money and making their lives more comfortable.  By the way, no matter what anyone says, it's never the "same old life" because having lots of money gives you peace of mind. That being said, a lot of wealthy people commit suicide, therapists say it's the number one reason couples fight - so who's to judge? For me I can truly say if I'm going to remain the same miserable person that I am, I'd rather be rich and miserable than poor and miserable.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

I'd rather be rich and miserable than poor and miserable.

AMEN! Being rich has a funny way of taking the bite out of misery for many...

Chewie

I once sold an expensive sports car to a paraplegic who was paralyzed from his chest down. He was only around 30 years old.  He sure was a master of those hand controls. When he drove off, one of the salespeople said the guy was lucky! At first I thought he was being cruelly facetious, but he said he'd really like to quit working and get a monthly check for being disabled.  So I guess money to some people has more value than I can imagine. He was actually jealous that this young man had a nice home and a new car-blech.

We all know people who aren't as fortunate as we are. I'm betting there are people on this board who are physically challenged and might need assistance getting in and out of a car, maybe even a chair. That doesn't mean they have any less reason to be elated over winning money and making their lives more comfortable.  By the way, no matter what anyone says, it's never the "same old life" because having lots of money gives you peace of mind. That being said, a lot of wealthy people commit suicide, therapists say it's the number one reason couples fight - so who's to judge? For me I can truly say if I'm going to remain the same miserable person that I am, I'd rather be rich and miserable than poor and miserable.

The discussion is not about a guy with the ability to drive a sports car.  This is the man named Cheney that could hardly walk to his chair; due to illness, not a handicap.  Keep it in perspective.  There are 80 year olds walking the Wall of China, this old guy is not ever going to be one of them.

fja's avatarfja

Maybe they'll buy him a "rascal" chair

UmBrook

I hope so, because nothing would scare me more than Grandpa Chaney driving down my block in his "HUMBEE" with his head barely visible over the steering wheel.

sandjvalentine's avatarsandjvalentine

Who really cares what they do with their money? It's their money. A cow might not be exciting to some, but maybe they always wanted one. Plus, I like the fact that they just disappeared with their money and shut up. I'll take one of them over a J.W. any time.

couldn't agree more. maybe buying a cow was just for a little stupid show. you know like pretend they're stupid because they won. then, they suddenly disappeared! now imagine that!!! just when you thought some winners can't get their act together, there's such people who catch it back up and do something very smart. yeeey!!! to them. i hope nothing bad happened to them. but whoever made that comment about disappearing with a cow was very funny.

sandjvalentine's avatarsandjvalentine

i don't care what everybody says about chewie's comment, he makes my day! ya'll just need to have a personality and laugh a little. understand the comment B4  respond. ur gonna hit urself in the head if u mess with chewie. not that m scared of him. i don't know him, but i like funny people.

okay, enough about chewie

you know,  i can't help but wonder. is that how people really react when they win a big jack??? i know money change people for sure, but had no idea it would screw your mind up. look at these west family or whatever the family name is, take them as an example. they can't get their stories straight because i guess that's part of the money spell. i have nothing against them, but come on now, finish the story and disappear already. that'll make me proud. i'm happy for them even though they're stupid by going in public, i'm not mad i didn't win and they did. i can't afford to play weekly.i only play when the big jack comes around, i take my little chances. i win or lose, life goes on.so don't take my comments wrong, i'm warning you. i have a big heart but i'm not a nice person.

CASH Only

I hope so, because nothing would scare me more than Grandpa Chaney driving down my block in his "HUMBEE" with his head barely visible over the steering wheel.

You must remember the one where the elderly woman fell and couldn't get up LOL

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1310029

Came across this video from GMA.

CASH Only

Chaney or Cheney (as in the vice president)?

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

I may take a tip from the West's and use the term "disbelief" 100 times in a 5 minute interview, as well as "things will not be changing much."

If you win $340 million, or $100 million or whatever millions, and "things do not change much," give it to someone else. I am hoping that was simply a "boring press conference" strategy. I know that when I win millions of dollars, THINGS WILL BE CHANGING DRASTICALLY. But I won't go overboard.

I say drastically because I do not have a lot now. As I said before, I don't need 10 cars, 6 houses, and a private jet to be happy. Just a paid off house and my own land, and a house full of gadgets will be good enough. Above all great health, and just plain overall happiness. I won't need much of anything else.  At least for the first few months. Approve

CASH Only

I may take a tip from the West's and use the term "disbelief" 100 times in a 5 minute interview, as well as "things will not be changing much."

If you win $340 million, or $100 million or whatever millions, and "things do not change much," give it to someone else. I am hoping that was simply a "boring press conference" strategy. I know that when I win millions of dollars, THINGS WILL BE CHANGING DRASTICALLY. But I won't go overboard.

I say drastically because I do not have a lot now. As I said before, I don't need 10 cars, 6 houses, and a private jet to be happy. Just a paid off house and my own land, and a house full of gadgets will be good enough. Above all great health, and just plain overall happiness. I won't need much of anything else.  At least for the first few months. Approve

Things won't change much for me unless I win. Then I better look out.

reverie117

I think that we should bless this family for their good fortune and that they will make the best of the winnings.

Predicting them to see trouble, and to be spiteful towards them for their winnings is not right.  If you had won the jackpot, would you want to see a website filled with negative comments about you?

I reccommend reading the book "Millionaire Mind" and in the mean time, Bless all lottery winners!  Best of luck to all of them! 

CASH Only

reverie:

What time do you get up in the morning?

Who wrote Millionaire Mind?

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

reverie:

What time do you get up in the morning?

Who wrote Millionaire Mind?

Thomas J. Stanley. That and "The Millionaire Next Door" great books.

Iesha Kelly

I think that we should bless this family for their good fortune and that they will make the best of the winnings.

Predicting them to see trouble, and to be spiteful towards them for their winnings is not right.  If you had won the jackpot, would you want to see a website filled with negative comments about you?

I reccommend reading the book "Millionaire Mind" and in the mean time, Bless all lottery winners!  Best of luck to all of them! 

people always give congratulations around here to winners.  look around. 

maybe this couple started off on the wrong foot with the whole coy 'we're not looking for publicity' massive attention seeking b.s.  comparisons to the patron saint of bad decision making, jack whittaker, will always be made (until someone making worse decisions publically comes along).  besides, only they are responsible for what happens to their lives at this point.  if they really are affected by what anonymous people say about them, they really are in for a world of hurt.  those are the type of people who get taken in by raging, leeching relatives and scam artists claiming to be charities and investment opportunities... because they put their faith, not in the rock within themselves, but in the shifting illusions outside.

but i dont think anyone really wishes ill towards them.  again, jackpot winners are usually greeted with congratulations here, not ill will.  and yet, how many people keep their mouth shut about the drug addict winning the jackpot?  this family made some publically poor decisions from the beginning.  people commented on them, and what to expect from people who do make such poor decisions. and from that, other people learn what not to do when their day comes.

CASH Only

I bet they don't care for OR Lose for Life. They may never buy another lottery ticket!

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story