Mega Millions lottery jackpot raised to $262 million

Nov 9, 2005, 8:03 am (52 comments)

Mega Millions

On the same day the winners of the $340 million Powerball jackpot came forward to claim their prize, the jackpot in the nation's other multi-state lottery game swelled to $262 million for Friday.

There hasn't been a top winner in the Mega Millions game since September 16th, when a single ticket in New Jersey won $250 million.

None of the tickets sold for Tuesday's $225 million drawing matched all five lotto numbers and the Mega Ball. The next drawing will be Friday.

There were 26 second-prize winners from Tuesday night's drawing: 2 from California, 3 from Georgia, 4 from Illinois, 1 from Massachusetts, 1 from Maryland, 1 from Michigan, 5 from New Jersey, 4 from New York, 3 from Texas, and 2 from Virginia.  Each ticket matched all five lotto numbers but not the Mega Ball number to win $250,000.  (The California winners will receive $339,129 each.)

Also, 101 players matched four of the five lotto numbers, plus the Mega Ball number for a $10,000 prize.  (14 California winners will receive $7,515.) 

The winning numbers from Tuesday's drawing were: 8, 16, 21, 25, and 27. The Mega Ball number was 16.

The Texas Megaplier was 3.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

DoubleDown

Are we headed for >$340 million ????

How many more rollovers til we get there ?

fja's avatarfja

at this pace 2 more rolls should put us past the 340......if i goes that far

mken32's avatarmken32

I am going try to stop this madness on friday night. for everybody sake.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

The last increase was 37 million, so assuming another increase of at least 37 million the advertised jackpot would be at least 299 million, and that's enough for a record pre-tax payout. The cash value is about 58.7% of the advertised annuity, so a single winner could take a cash  payout of  about 175.5 million. That would be about 5 million more than Jack Whittaker's prize from 2002 and 11 million more than the payout in the recently over-hyped powerball "record".

In all probability a rollover will result in a bigger increase, so it would probably go to at least 305 million and a subsequent rollover would go well past 350 million, and would probably pass the 363 million record set by the Big Game. Depending on how many tickets are actually sold, figure there's about a 50% chance that there won't be a winner on Friday.

Chewie

I am going try to stop this madness on friday night. for everybody sake.

My bribery of the officials will over-rule your bribe.

JAG331

Interesting to watch the jackpot struggle through the $200 millions now.

Chewie

Interesting to watch the jackpot struggle through the $200 millions now.

Not much of a struggle, more like a rocket ship. $225M to $265M in one jump.  Bing, bing, $300M next roll.

JAG331

It's a struggle compared to the old days.

Just6ntlc

I hope that MM surpasses their own North American jackpot record of 363 million. I think it'll take two more rolls to surpass the new record. Based on my analysis, when it hit 258 million on last run, if no one hit, it would have estimated at 315 million. It'll take two rolls to go pass 363+ million.

DoctorEw220's avatarDoctorEw220

I have a feeling it will be hit on Friday.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Now that the jackpot is getting near the $300M range, the office pools will kick in and if it isn't won, it will climb even faster.  If it hits $300M, the local news will start covering it which will attract additional players from other states and there be an outbreak of lotto fever.

NoCompLotto!

Now that the jackpot is getting near the $300M range, the office pools will kick in and if it isn't won, it will climb even faster.  If it hits $300M, the local news will start covering it which will attract additional players from other states and there be an outbreak of lotto fever.

The media is already covering it here in Detroit. They were telling everybody that you could buy a private island in Charlevoix (northern lower peninsula of MI) for "only" $5 million. The media onslaught is here, and here to stay until it is won. What I hate about that is how they explain all of these things that you "have a better chance of" than hitting MM... For example, they tell you you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning, getting in a car crash, or worse, being in an airplane crash. WHY WOULD I WANT TO KNOW THAT I HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF DYING THAN HITTING MM????

libra926

Patriot11/09/05.................

DOUBLE DOWN......You are reading my mind....all the way...especially as I was not able to play on Tuesday Night........

CHEWIE......share that "bribe"...I'll go in on it with you.......LOLOLOLOL

bellyache's avatarbellyache

I think it will be hit on Friday also. If not it will be hit when it gets to 300 million.

libra926

Lurking11/09/05

NOCOMP:....".For example, they tell you you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning, getting in a car crash, or worse, being in an airplane crash. WHY WOULD I WANT TO KNOW THAT I HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF DYING THAN HITTING MM????"

I totally agree w/ that point....why are they always using such dramatic Analogies to compare winning the MM OR POWERBALL.....????Getting struck by lightning, always something horrendus...my goodness, why can't they use an analogy like..."you have a better chance of getting a promotion or pay raise at your job, or better chance of finding true love...LOLOLOLOL

libra926

Lurking

belleyace:  "I think it will be hit on Friday also. If not it will be hit when it gets to 300 million"

Well as long as we are able to play....it's got to hit one way or another.....I would just like to think that if it does hit, perhaps we can be in the  "line of fire".

That's one "fallout" in the "line of fire"  Bellyace,  that I could certainly use....... LOLOLOLOLOL

Chewie

When I was in 'Nam, the famous quote was, you were safer here than walking on the LA Freeway.  I always mentioned that I prefered the LA odds.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

You have a better chance of having this or that happening to you, blah blah...yet someone always still wins. I am not sure really if these other analogies encourage, or discourage play? No one cares regardless, if a jackpot is in the hundred millions, money is going to be spent for a chance at it. Their odds calculations simply make for a better story, and just "how lucky" the person was.

fxsterling

how many times do you have to hit 21 in a row to =175 million to 1    and i feel like i've been hit by lighting 6 times next tue 365+

DirtyWrat's avatarDirtyWrat

Lurking11/09/05

NOCOMP:....".For example, they tell you you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning, getting in a car crash, or worse, being in an airplane crash. WHY WOULD I WANT TO KNOW THAT I HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF DYING THAN HITTING MM????"

I totally agree w/ that point....why are they always using such dramatic Analogies to compare winning the MM OR POWERBALL.....????Getting struck by lightning, always something horrendus...my goodness, why can't they use an analogy like..."you have a better chance of getting a promotion or pay raise at your job, or better chance of finding true love...LOLOLOLOL

This should make everyone feel better.

I read somewhere that you are more likely to win powerball or MM than get killed by a shark.

DoubleDown

Here is the real deal--------------The odds are 50/50 that it will be hit Friday.

Either it will or it will not...  I hope it rolls again and again just so we can steal the West's thunder..............

Boo Yah !!!!!!

CucumberLover

Here is the real deal--------------The odds are 50/50 that it will be hit Friday.

Either it will or it will not...  I hope it rolls again and again just so we can steal the West's thunder..............

Boo Yah !!!!!!

I could care less if it rolls over or not.. Regardless I will not win..

I am sticking to take 5, numbers and Win4

mken32's avatarmken32

I have a feeling it will be hit on Friday.

Big Smile that will be me.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

It will roll again. ROFL

NoCompLotto!

Lurking11/09/05

I Agree!  Thank You!!!!!!! 

NoCompLotto!

You have a better chance of having this or that happening to you, blah blah...yet someone always still wins. I am not sure really if these other analogies encourage, or discourage play? No one cares regardless, if a jackpot is in the hundred millions, money is going to be spent for a chance at it. Their odds calculations simply make for a better story, and just "how lucky" the person was.

What I don't understand is why the media has to use such grizzly analogies as to what could happen to you versus you hitting the big jackpot. I would prefer not to hear various ways that I have a better chance to get killed over winning MM.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Do you also have a better chance of someone mailing a winning jackpot ticket for $300 million to your house randomly? As you can see, there is hope...

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

What I don't understand is why the media has to use such grizzly analogies as to what could happen to you versus you hitting the big jackpot. I would prefer not to hear various ways that I have a better chance to get killed over winning MM.

I guess since these bad things are not happening to you, neither will the windfall. That is basically what they are saying. Yet when there is a winner, the media eats it up, and milks it for all it is worth. So their analogies are kind of contradicting, and don't make any sense. But maybe they are playing off the fact that people secretly want to beat the odds, and be known to have done so. Regardless of what they say "publicly."

I wonder if their chances increase that all those bad things will happen after they win the lottery? They already beat the most impossible odds, so after I beat them, I will be careful not to go outside during storms.

NoCompLotto!

I guess since these bad things are not happening to you, neither will the windfall. That is basically what they are saying. Yet when there is a winner, the media eats it up, and milks it for all it is worth. So their analogies are kind of contradicting, and don't make any sense. But maybe they are playing off the fact that people secretly want to beat the odds, and be known to have done so. Regardless of what they say "publicly."

I wonder if their chances increase that all those bad things will happen after they win the lottery? They already beat the most impossible odds, so after I do I will be careful not to go outside during storms.

Just because they are not happening to me, including the windfall, does not mean they could not happen. Yes, I admit, none of it has, but I certainly do not like to have someone tell me that my odds of having a power line randomly snap and fall on me (1 in 2,000,000) are better than me hitting a big jackpot. There's things in life called taking chances. Sometimes they cost money, sometimes they don't. I prefer to live on the safe side and place bets on how much money I could win, and not on how long I will live or by what method I will get killed by. I love my life, and prefer to continue to live it (hopefully rich beyond my wildest dreams).

Lucky$even

If nobody wins it on Friday, it will most certainly roll over $300 million. This way, a billionaire from California, New Jersey, Texas, or Washington (the no state income tax states) can buy 175,711,536 tickets (one of each possible combination) and still end up on the plus side post tax, cash option. Of course, this person would need to have already filled out the 35,142,308 forms (5 on each form) because it would take 11+ years at 10 seconds per form, without breaks, to complete. But since this guy is a billionaire, he would've hired several people to do this. And of course they would've had to start in 2002, when the latest version came out. So he would've had to have hired at least 4 people. Ok I'm going to stop now. Oh yeah, how many retailers would he have to go to after each one ran out of slips? And how much time would it take to purchase them all? Well, it was a nice thought. I guess I'll leave that to the billionaires. Good luck to everyone, especially me.

NoCompLotto!

I just have a gut feeling that when it rolls on Friday, it'll only go to $299M (+37M, the same as this draw)

fxsterling

born in the the usa had some odds            how many coin toss with just heads is 175 million to one  a lot

dvdiva's avatardvdiva

The media is already covering it here in Detroit. They were telling everybody that you could buy a private island in Charlevoix (northern lower peninsula of MI) for "only" $5 million. The media onslaught is here, and here to stay until it is won. What I hate about that is how they explain all of these things that you "have a better chance of" than hitting MM... For example, they tell you you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning, getting in a car crash, or worse, being in an airplane crash. WHY WOULD I WANT TO KNOW THAT I HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF DYING THAN HITTING MM????

You're odds of dying are 100% in the long run. Your odds of winning are much less. Try more unlikely events.

1. Getting beamed onto an alien ship to get a "probe".

2. The big company you might work for decides your work is valuable like the CEO and gives you a heafty raise.

3. You're struck by a meteorite on the way to get your ticket.

4.Racoons possest by the devil rob you of your tickets.

5.Detroit becomes a clean, well run, crime free city.

If you're going to dream of something with low odds it might as well be something out of the ordinary. 

RJOh's avatarRJOh

If nobody wins it on Friday, it will most certainly roll over $300 million. This way, a billionaire from California, New Jersey, Texas, or Washington (the no state income tax states) can buy 175,711,536 tickets (one of each possible combination) and still end up on the plus side post tax, cash option. Of course, this person would need to have already filled out the 35,142,308 forms (5 on each form) because it would take 11+ years at 10 seconds per form, without breaks, to complete. But since this guy is a billionaire, he would've hired several people to do this. And of course they would've had to start in 2002, when the latest version came out. So he would've had to have hired at least 4 people. Ok I'm going to stop now. Oh yeah, how many retailers would he have to go to after each one ran out of slips? And how much time would it take to purchase them all? Well, it was a nice thought. I guess I'll leave that to the billionaires. Good luck to everyone, especially me.

Actually since the 40 drawings after the matrix changed had sums or 74-213, ranges of 15-55 and gaps of 1-43, the next winning combinations is likely to be within those parameters and a billionaire could save himself a few million dollars by only playing combinations within those parameters.

HiFi's avatarHiFi

i dont want any rollovers, i want to win on friday. Haha.

Deadsantaclaus

Lurking11/09/05

This should make everyone feel better.

I read somewhere that you are more likely to win powerball or MM than get killed by a shark.

So, If I win does this mean I'm immune to sharks and their eating habits? What are the odds of a mega winner being eaten by a shark during a thunderstorm with hail the size of Chihuahua on the  waters edge  on the island of Manhattan?
Down's avatarDown

someones life is going to change forever on Friday night Smiley

libra926

Patriot11/10/05

CHEWIE SAYS:

"When I was in 'Nam, the famous quote was, you were safer here than walking on the LA Freeway.  I always mentioned that I prefered the LA odds."

My Reply:

In that case Chewie, I will walk with you anytime. American Soil, that feels like home.....By the Way...Just for the Record, I still prefer Northern California, many family members out there.

Chewie

You have to admit, all the stories about using the winnings are interesting.  Like paying the salary for the New York Yankees for 30 minutes (a pun).  No one ever does anything like that.  I don't know of any one in my world (outside of LP) who has any idea of odds.  When you mention 150 million to one, they get a blank look on their faces.  How much is a 150 million?  It like saying we are trillions in debt.  No one knows what a trillion actually is.  I sure don't!  Its a lot; after that, I have no idea.

soon2brich

I just hope that whoever wins it (me!!) enjoys it with their loved ones.  Good luck everybody!Party

destinedtowin

Good Luck to everyone on Friday!!!      Wink

as always I'm Destinedtowin.    Cool      (me on Monday morning in the Lotto Office).

anem1e
Hi Everyone

Long time reader, first time poster.

After I win, I'll make sure to give props to Lottery Post during the press conference. Wink
I live in Illinois, so there's no way to remain anonymous (even through through a fund).

Good luck everyone!

Chewie wrote: << How much is a 150 million?  It like saying we are trillions in debt.  No one knows what a trillion actually is.  I sure don't!  Its a lot; after that, I have no idea. >>

Maybe this will be easier to really understand. If you spend $15,000 a year on tickets you can expect to win once every 10,000 years.

Even if you could just walk into the lottery office and write a check in exchange for every posible combination, you'd probably have to be a moron to do it.  The last jackpot of 2004 was split between 3 winners. In 2003 nearly half of the jackpots were split between two winners. There can't be very many people who have managed to accumulate $200 million and are stupid enough to risk a 1 in 4 chance of losing $100 million against a 3 in 4 chance of making $50 million. Of course it could make for an interesting press conference.

shalini

GOOD MORNING AMERICA!!

Wake up guys, its jackpot day!

JAG331

Haha. Almost, shalini. Most of us are still getting ready for bed. Approaching midnight here on the East Coast.

fxsterling

23 hours 32 min                  roll at 1 am ny time               thats 24 houres and 31 min 

shalini

okay...India will patiently await America's morning to dawn!

Chewie

Chewie wrote: << How much is a 150 million?  It like saying we are trillions in debt.  No one knows what a trillion actually is.  I sure don't!  Its a lot; after that, I have no idea. >>

Maybe this will be easier to really understand. If you spend $15,000 a year on tickets you can expect to win once every 10,000 years.

Again, an unrecognizable stat.  How long is 10,000 years?  I'm thinking 100 is an eternity. 10,000? Long time.  If some one said I had a trillion dollars to spend over 100,000 years, my first question would be, how much does that give me for lunch today.

CASH Only

Again, an unrecognizable stat.  How long is 10,000 years?  I'm thinking 100 is an eternity. 10,000? Long time.  If some one said I had a trillion dollars to spend over 100,000 years, my first question would be, how much does that give me for lunch today.

Until recent years Britain considered a billion as 1,000,000,000,000 (our trillion.)

libra926

PukePuke11/12/05

"So, If I win does this mean I'm immune to sharks and their eating habits? What are the odds of a mega winner being eaten by a shark during a thunderstorm with hail the size of Chihuahua on the  waters edge  on the island of Manhattan?"
HEY THERE  "D"
The only sharks I know are the I.R.S.........and we can never ever be immune to their eating habits..
LO,OLOLOLOLOLOL
Chewie

So, If I win does this mean I'm immune to sharks and their eating habits?

I made a deal with Sharks.  They stay off the Freeway, I'll stay out of the Ocean.  So far, they have kept their word.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story