$315M Mega Millions lottery winners stay on the job

Nov 18, 2005, 9:06 am (38 comments)

Mega Millions

A secretary and six laboratory workers at Kaiser Permanente in California held the winning ticket for the $315 million Mega Millions jackpot — but they still came in to work, a company spokeswoman said.

The jackpot was the second-richest prize won with a single ticket in the history of lotteries in the United States.

The winners, who had chipped in $3 apiece and bought 21 tickets, came into work Wednesday at the medical center in Garden Grove anyway, said Kaiser spokeswoman Barbara Shipnuck.

"They bought the entire staff lunch to celebrate," Shipnuck said. "For now, they all prefer to stay anonymous."

Reporters and aspiring millionaires first swarmed a mom-and-pop gift shop early Wednesday where the winning ticket was sold, then shifted to the medical center when news of the seven new millionaires spread.

"People had stopped playing because nobody was winning," said a secretary at Kaiser who declined to identify herself. "Now they have."

It was the second-richest prize won with a single ticket in the history of lotteries in the United States. The numbers drawn Tuesday night were: 2-4-5-40-48 and mega number 7.

The ticket was bought at Rainbow Water, Juice, Flower & Gift. At the tiny sundries shop not far from Disneyland, Raquel Cordova was busy fielding interviews and selling more lottery tickets.

The store owners will receive $1 million for selling the winning ticket.

A couple of years ago, owners Guadalupe and Jose Cordova were considering selling the store but changed their minds, their daughter said.

"My mom's like 'no, no, someday I'll hit it big and I'll be able to retire," said Raquel, 20.

Her mother was shaking after receiving the telephone call notifying her of the win, her daughter said. Guadalupe, 52, and Jose, 53, decided to take the day off and let their kids work, Raquel said.

Both Guadalupe and Jose immigrated to the United States from Mexico as teenagers, Raquel said.

"Mom's gonna take a long vacation ... she's here seven days a week, even on Sundays," Raquel said.

As for her father, "he's too excited. He can't work," she said.

Her sister, 18-year-old Mayra, also works at the store after school and her brother, Jose Jr., 29, used to run the counter when he was younger, Raquel said.

Her parents are considering taking a vacation in Las Vegas but Raquel said she is holding out for Brazil.

Last month in Oregon, a family claimed the largest jackpot in U.S. lottery history won by a single ticket, $340 million. The numbers were drawn Oct. 19 in the other big multistate lottery, Powerball. Until then, the richest undivided lottery jackpot in U.S. history was the $314.9 million Powerball jackpot won by a West Virginia man on Christmas Day 2002.

On May 9, 2000, the jackpot for the Big Game — the forerunner of Mega Millions — grew to $363 million. But that record amount wound up being split between two winning tickets.

In addition to California, Mega Millions is played in Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Texas, Virginia, and Washington.

Lottery Post Staff, Wire Reports

Comments

Chewie

So far, so good - on the IQ level.

winner2b

Congrats to the winners; when i saw those numbers, i bet that nobody would win or just 1 ticket. very unique set of numbers. I hope they enjoy it well!!

Party

Chewie

If I won the meesly $7M cash for MM tonight, I would show up to work Monday - or any other day.  Unless I was being paid to check out the beaches in the Hawaiian Islands.  Then I would rethink the quiting option.

Chewie

Make that "would NOT show up"  - Sheesh.  Gonna take a vacation!

winnah

looks like a nice $17m take home payday for each of the seven!

libra926

Congrats to the winners; when i saw those numbers, i bet that nobody would win or just 1 ticket. very unique set of numbers. I hope they enjoy it well!!

Party

LurkingHAPPY FRIDAY....TO ALL MY FELLOW m&m PLAYERS.......

I agree" winner2b"......that number series was unique, and very obivously a quick pick......I did choose the "7" for the Mega Ball, but would never have created the entire series. LOLOLOLOOL

Actually the "7" was the easiest part ......

libra926

If I won the meesly $7M cash for MM tonight, I would show up to work Monday - or any other day.  Unless I was being paid to check out the beaches in the Hawaiian Islands.  Then I would rethink the quiting option.

Chewie: what's "meesly" about $$$$$7 million????...even here in "HIGH COST OF LIVING BETHESDA.......$$$$$7MILL looks great.......when you didn't have it to spend in the 1st place..LOL

libra926

It's also rather uncanny....after what "CALI" had to go through to become a Mega Mil  State,  that such a huge payout would be rewarded to them so soon. Keeping in mind how many years most of the other states have had 1st the BIG GAME....& now MEGA MIL......This is the 1st year for "CALI" to be a part of this, and to win soooooo biggggg.........is phenomenal to say the least.....

Proving that anything is possible w/faith and determination....

My Congrats to the 7 winners......Just one thing puzzling me....

Why are they celebrating by giving their co-workers at KAISER only PIZZA?????? that's right PIZZA. With all that CASH in the KITTY, now's the time to SPLURGE....Champagne, Filet Mignon, Lobster Thermador, Caesar Salad......whats the problem????? Wheres  the "Real Party"?????Who needs PIZZA??????

Or maybe this group is a 1st Cousin to the Powerball Winning, West/Chaney Family....

DoubleDown

It's also rather uncanny....after what "CALI" had to go through to become a Mega Mil  State,  that such a huge payout would be rewarded to them so soon. Keeping in mind how many years most of the other states have had 1st the BIG GAME....& now MEGA MIL......This is the 1st year for "CALI" to be a part of this, and to win soooooo biggggg.........is phenomenal to say the least.....

Why are they celebrating by giving their co-workers at KAISER only PIZZA?????? that's right PIZZA. With all that CASH in the KITTY, now's the time to SPLURGE....Champagne, Filet Mignon, Lobster Thermador, Caesar Salad......whats the problem????? Wheres  the "Real Party"?????Who needs PIZZA??????

Or maybe this group is a 1st Cousin to the Powerball Winning, West/Chaney Family....

Remember, they do not have the money yet......

They can have any type of party they choose very soon.....

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Yes I also stated it had to have been a QP. I bet showing up to work now is not such a burden to them. I bet they look to forward to going every day now that they can quit any time they choose to without consequence. I can only imagine their conversations when they arrive. "What's up fellow millionaire!" "How is it going lucky!"  Meanwhile about 100 other workers scowl...

bellyache's avatarbellyache

Even splitting the money, they still take home a good amount. $7 million is better then 0. Congrats to them! =)

fja's avatarfja

$21 worth of quick pics, shows you don't need to spend a whole lot of money to make a whole lot of money. 

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

7 workers for 21 tickets for $7 million. Now that is magicial! As I said, the division of 7 seems to work magic! And the mega number was......7!

fja's avatarfja

Sept 22, A  New Jersy couple did their little PR appearance after winning 258 Million in mega millions....then they dropped into obscurity....no controversy, nice & smart looking couple.  Thats the way to do it....It was over before anbody really noticed or new about them.... 

DoubleDown

I once got in an office pool for a large jackpot, but there were 10 of us with $10 each and we got 100 qp's. We didn't do jack >:

The Cali office workers hit it with only $21 worth of tickets- or roughly the same amount most people put up themselves for a 300 Mil Jackpot.. .

Just shows to go you that when it be your time it be your time !!!! 

Chewie

Chewie: what's "meesly" about $$$$$7 million????...even here in "HIGH COST OF LIVING BETHESDA.......$$$$$7MILL looks great.......when you didn't have it to spend in the 1st place..LOL

Look up the concept of satorical commenting.  Sometimes things occur beyond the distance to a persons glasses.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

I can't wait till I can get enough money to save up for 100 QP's one day. Better yet, 100 SYSTEM picks. That would definitely give me a lot of slack to play all my various numbers, and strategies. I will have to try both to see which got closer. I should be up for a few days doing the analysis afterwards. But hopfully because I hit the big one, not trying to figure out what went wrong. Smile

Chewie

I can't wait till I can get enough money to save up for 100 QP's one day. Better yet, 100 SYSTEM picks. That would definitely give me a lot of slack to play all my various numbers, and strategies. I will have to try both to see which got closer. I should be up for a few days doing the analysis afterwards. But hopfully because I hit the big one, not trying to figure out what went wrong. Smile

It has been documented over and over, even here, huge bets mean nothing.  Hundreds, if not thousands, of people (as a group or singular) spent huge amounts on the last draw and won nothing.  A group in my building spend over a hundred and not even a mega ball win.  A twenty-one dollar bet had no better chance than a thousand dollar bet had over a single dollar bet. 

The balls dropped and some one won.  Nothing more complicated then that.

four4me

Just heard on the news no one has came forward to claim the pot yet. One worker who was in the pool the drawing before they won was absent from work the day they put together the money for the draw they won .... so because of her absence the secretary got in the pool in her place. The absentee employee might want to make a fight out of this....

oops here we go again will they give her a cut.

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

I once got in an office pool for a large jackpot, but there were 10 of us with $10 each and we got 100 qp's. We didn't do jack >:

The Cali office workers hit it with only $21 worth of tickets- or roughly the same amount most people put up themselves for a 300 Mil Jackpot.. .

Just shows to go you that when it be your time it be your time !!!! 

Same here. Several years ago I was part of an even larger pool because I worked for a large corp with a plant in Chicago. There were over 20 of us and we never won much and I'm assuming the odds for the IL lottery are a lot lower than Mega Money or Powerball. Obviously the more tickets that are played, the better your chances are of defeating the odds. However, saying 21 or 100 or even 200 tickets will get you closer to the jackpot when odds are 1 in 170M is still a little optimistic.  (of course hope is all we have really!)  I mean, if you took everyone in GA, VA or whatever states are in the Mega Millions and counted an entire state as a pool, all those people still wouldn't have won the $315M jackpot. Am I making sense? $21 is not a lot. I don't spend that much on a game but I see people all the time spending $50 at a clip. It's all luck and timing is everything! I agree.  

Iesha Kelly

Just heard on the news no one has came forward to claim the pot yet. One worker who was in the pool the drawing before they won was absent from work the day they put together the money for the draw they won .... so because of her absence the secretary got in the pool in her place. The absentee employee might want to make a fight out of this....

oops here we go again will they give her a cut.

if that person was sick or had an honest to god family emergency, if i were the pool, i'd vote for sharing.  that's not right, otherwise.

GVILLE's avatarGVILLE

Do u think the group should deduct the $3.00 from the sick/family emergencied
absent employee? I think that person just missed an opportunity.THATS LIFE!
If the group hadnt won; would the absent employee come back to work and say;
"oh by the way, heres my three buck for losing last week" I dont think so.
If you pay and win its yours if You dont pay , for whatever reason youre not entitled to anything ,but a big sick feeling in your stomach.

Chewie

I think they are staying at work because they haven't received any of the winnings; hell, they haven't even turned in the ticket.  Lets see what happens when the state transfers the money to their accounts and they see all those zero's!  Will they continue to be good old boys, or will they begin to be millionaires?

HEYPHILLIP

I think they are staying at work because they haven't received any of the winnings; hell, they haven't even turned in the ticket.  Lets see what happens when the state transfers the money to their accounts and they see all those zero's!  Will they continue to be good old boys, or will they begin to be millionaires?

If that office person who was sick puts up a fight for a share of the money then they won't collect a dime until its resolved. the problem is these idiot Judges around the country has set a presence for people to sue that do not get into a pool on there job. every case i have heard of the plaintiff has won a share of the jackpot even though they didnot give any money to be in a pool.

GVILLE's avatarGVILLE

I Agree!

Chewie

In the good old days, Lav Vegas had a cure for that sort of activity.  It did not include paying off judges.

libra926

Remember, they do not have the money yet......

They can have any type of party they choose very soon.....

HAPPY SATURDAY......"DoubleDown"....NOVEMBER...19TH

If it were me....as the winner....I would not have any party until the Ticket was properly validated, and the money or my portion of the money was securely in my Bank Account. I want to know the money is there and available for my use. 

........................NO MONEY, NO PARTY...............

libra926

If that office person who was sick puts up a fight for a share of the money then they won't collect a dime until its resolved. the problem is these idiot Judges around the country has set a presence for people to sue that do not get into a pool on there job. every case i have heard of the plaintiff has won a share of the jackpot even though they didnot give any money to be in a pool.

No Pity!HAPPY SATURDAY....TO ALL OF US WHO CALLED IN SICK ON THE BIG DAY....lololololololol

ok......while back at the Ranch...now lets play the Red Deviladvocate.....if this co-worker is a regular player w/the "wild crew", ordinarily puts up $3.bucks, then why leave him out?????? give him his fair share...$3.bucks.......lololololololol

libra926

Cussing FaceHEY GUYS......No Party....until I see the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!

AND, NO PIZZA.......I  DON'T WANT PIZZA......LOLOLOLOLOOLOL

wizeguy's avatarwizeguy

I Agree! Fly in Montgomery Inn ribs!

libra926

TurkeyNOVEMBER.....21ST

I simply prefer to ......the "i's" and cross all the "t's" before "coming out about the Prize money. I  do not, or cannot accept the premise of saying "BINGO....I WON" in leu of Validating everything and pushing the button which electronically deposits the funds to our respective accounts. I realize you agree with my perspective on this "wizeguy" and that proves you, like myself think very carefully thru everything, at least where $$$$$$$ is concerned..........

libra926

Do u think the group should deduct the $3.00 from the sick/family emergencied
absent employee? I think that person just missed an opportunity.THATS LIFE!
If the group hadnt won; would the absent employee come back to work and say;
"oh by the way, heres my three buck for losing last week" I dont think so.
If you pay and win its yours if You dont pay , for whatever reason youre not entitled to anything ,but a big sick feeling in your stomach.

Turkey

On the 19th of this week, I made a facetously cynical remark regarding the $3 bucks, but in reality, had I been a co-worker,  one of the usual players in the Office Kitty, supposedly or alleged "friend" of the absentee player, I would have inquired as to wether or not that person wanted to be included in the kitty. The operative terms here are "usual player" and "alleged friend"........because I know, in reality had it been me, and I called in sick, I would have wanted to be included. If there is a healthy rapor among the small group of players I'm sure someone could have inquired, and then thrown in $3 lousy bucks to cover. Come on....

libra926

No Pity!ADDENDUM........11/21st

Considering the Phenomental sum of $$$$$$$$$$ we are looking at here, don't go to court over this issue......Court costs, Atty Fees...ect...only serve to deplete, and dispose of the wealth you've hardly had a chance to acquire.  By the time all is said and done, the Attorneys may as well have won the prize money themselves.  Break even, and give the sick patient her cut of the Kitty....

CASH Only

TurkeyNOVEMBER.....21ST

I simply prefer to ......the "i's" and cross all the "t's" before "coming out about the Prize money. I  do not, or cannot accept the premise of saying "BINGO....I WON" in leu of Validating everything and pushing the button which electronically deposits the funds to our respective accounts. I realize you agree with my perspective on this "wizeguy" and that proves you, like myself think very carefully thru everything, at least where $$$$$$$ is concerned..........

What are Montgomery Inn ribs??

libra926

TurkeyNOVEMBER.....21ST

TurkeyNOVEMBER..23RD...

HI CASH N'CARRY.......I suppose it's safe to say HAPPY THANKSGIVING....

"Montgomery Inn Ribs".....are simply spare ribs that come from the Montgomery Inn, here in Maryland......(still one of the 13 original colonies)I bet you don't know off hand the other 12...lolol

libra926

TurkeyHAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL MY FELLOW M&M/POWERBALL PLAYERS.....

I see no one gave themselves a gift of $$$$$16 MILLION.....oh well.......

While back at the Ranch....I am happily preparing our Thanksgiving Feast for Thursday......Turkey and of course Stuffing, carrots, whole cranberries, lots of veggies..ect...the table promises to be splendid, everyone here is very excited, I am doing it all, homemade.....that's right, no caterers, everything from "scratch"....I absolutely refuse to cater. Gracious, by the time you spend all that $$$$$$ catering, you might as well have prepared the splendid meal yourself anyway.......This way everything, the Atmosphere, Ambiance, Table and Meal are done the way you like it, and you don't have to argue with anyone.  Instead, a Fabulous time is had by all........

CASH Only

TurkeyNOVEMBER.....21ST

TurkeyNOVEMBER..23RD...

"Montgomery Inn Ribs".....are simply spare ribs that come from the Montgomery Inn, here in Maryland......(still one of the 13 original colonies)I bet you don't know off hand the other 12...lolol

The 13 colonies are NH, MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, VA, NC, SC, GA.

libra926

TurkeyNOVEMBER.....21ST

TurkeyNOVEMBER..23RD...

The 13 colonies are NH, MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, VA, NC, SC, GA.

TurkeyHAPPY FRIDAY........CASH N"CARRY......

That Turkeymust have been very good, I see you were able to retain all 13 originals in perfect order......lolololol

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story