ABC duped by Powerball lottery winner hoax

Feb 22, 2006, 12:59 pm (57 comments)

Powerball

The brief hoax involving a man claiming to be an out-of-work truck driver who won the $365 million Powerball jackpot was months in the making.

It involved two men who have jerked the chains of the national news media for years and was financed by a Texas author seeking publicity for his books, one of the pranksters said Tuesday.

"We had decided that one of these days, there'll be a record jackpot, and we'll have to go," said Bob Pagani, who portrayed the unemployed man who spent $2,000 on Monday buying food for everyone at a Lincoln restaurant.

Pagani said he is a former disc jockey and book editor who lives near Pacific City, Ore. He confessed Tuesday to the hoax but said he felt no guilt.

"We spent a lot of money buying people's lunches. They had a thrill. . . . Nobody got hurt," he said. "It's kind of like a magic trick - a magician lies to you."

Pagani walked into a Village Inn on Monday afternoon, announced that he was the winner and bought a round of meals. The news media were apparently summoned by a restaurant employee. "Good Morning America" and "World News Tonight," among others, did on-camera interviews with Pagani.

Pagani said the hoax was hatched in conjunction with Alan Abel, a Connecticut prankster and drummer who started staging hoaxes in a 1959 appearance on the "Today" show, according to his Web site.

"Every once in a while, he has a wild hair," Pagani said.

He said the timing was per-fect because of the Presidents Day holiday. It closed the Nebraska Lottery office, delaying any official announcement. Because it was a record jackpot, a news media frenzy seemed guaranteed.

The hoax started falling apart as reporters questioned discrepancies in Pagani's story, including how the ticket was purchased. He said he chose the numbers, but lottery officials said the winning ticket was a computer-generated "Quick Pick."

Pagani said he flew in from Oregon on Sunday night and drove to Lincoln on Monday. Two other people, who said they were Pagani's son and niece, also flew in.

Pagani said Joe Vitale, who identified himself as an Austin, Texas, author, financed the hoax - paying for the airline tickets and two nights of motel stays in Omaha, as well as the $2,000 for all the meals at Village Inn.

Before he flew home Tuesday, Pagani said he gets the same thrill from hoaxes as someone who collects stamps.

"With this, I can say I was in the New York Times, the Washington Post and on Good Morning America."

Omaha World-Herald

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

libra926

2/22/2006

Is it something in the AIR, THE WATER, OR THE CROPS....that made these idiots help put this scam together???????....only in America..........

emilyg's avataremilyg

pretty stupid.  Hit With Stick

winner2b

Every idiot gets his 15mins of fame!! Kudos...Cheers

now leave. . . .

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Before he flew home Tuesday, Pagani said he gets the same thrill from hoaxes as someone who collects stamps.

"With this, I can say I was in the New York Times, the Washington Post and on Good Morning America."

Sounds like  Pagani gets a thrill from running his big mouth and telling lies to make national news.  When he compares it to collecting stamps, he's also lying to himself and believing it.

Raven62's avatarRaven62

LOL! ROFL

Maybe it's time someone or group of someones played a prank on the pranksters!

Littlemanjen

You know, I don't agree with people getting mad, it actually is funny if it can be pulled off. As he said, a magician does magic. Kinda like Bill Clinton not having sexual relations with Monica, the guy writing the book Oprah supported, and George Bush and weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. Those things are still debated, covered in the media, and this guy just had his time in the limelight. It is not worth getting bent out of shape over. And before anyone jumps on me, NO, I do not condone lying. This is a prank, plain and simple.

truecritic's avatartruecritic

Pagani said he is a former disc jockey

While this prank didn't fall under the "disgusting" category, I have seen/heard several pranks pulled by disc jockeys that are disgusting.  Something should be done to those DJs to keep their pranks in the "suitable for families" range.  Not that Howard Stern pulls pranks but I was all for the fines he got.  That is what should happen to other DJs too.

Common sense.  Common decency.  That is what should keep people from doing things like this. 

Other than that, do we write up a law banning pranks?

Littlemanjen

I agree Truecritic, some of those are pretty bad and hurtful. This guy hurt no one, 200 people received a free meal, and the press jumped too quickly. Simple as that. The press received the "Dewey defeats Truman" award.

acronym007

I love seeing the media duped. It's great. The media knows nothing or less than nothing and half the time they claim to know the truth. When they get duped it's a very funny day in my book. The media should do it's homework rather than try to sensationalize everything and everyone. The media is really the big scam artist here, don't feel sorry for them, if they researched the truth rather than publish the quick tabloid headlines everyday then they would find that the ruth cannot be hidden, it can always be found. Cheers,

konane's avatarkonane

I love seeing the media duped. It's great. The media knows nothing or less than nothing and half the time they claim to know the truth. When they get duped it's a very funny day in my book. The media should do it's homework rather than try to sensationalize everything and everyone. The media is really the big scam artist here, don't feel sorry for them, if they researched the truth rather than publish the quick tabloid headlines everyday then they would find that the ruth cannot be hidden, it can always be found. Cheers,

I Agree!  Get the headline first, don't be concerned with accuracy. 

The lazy MSM got exactly what they deserved this time. Big Grin

Chewie

I wonder if ABC hired the former Dan Rather fact checkers from CBS?

Maybe it's time someone or group of someones played a prank on the pranksters!

People love to see this sort of thing.  Look how much Sterm is getting to make fools out of any American with ethics and integrity.  The American public is paying him to do what he does.

Not that Howard Stern pulls pranks but I was all for the fines he got. 

Actually, Stern did not pay a penny.  His organization, and his insurance company, paid all the fines.  Its like fining a Pro-football player $50K, then paying him $25M to show up.  Write it of as an uninsured loss.

fja's avatarfja

I Agree!  Get the headline first, don't be concerned with accuracy. 

The lazy MSM got exactly what they deserved this time. Big Grin

I'd have to agree...News isn't really news anymore...It's what they heard someone say........Thats all they print or show........That and Paris Hilton!

Uncle Jim

Well I have no love for jokers, tricksters, game players and con artists but with regard to ABC (OR any other media outlet) getting duped all I can say is...KEWL!

Jim 

The media knows nothing or less than nothing

So, you don't like the media?  The ones that provide 99% of the news that you hear, see or read?

if they researched the truth rather than publish the quick tabloid headlines everyday then they would find that the ruth cannot be hidden, it can always be found.

REALLY?  Just where does that truth pop out?  Over the fence talking with a neighbor?

Chewie

Thanks for pointing that out to everyone that didn't know that the broadcasting companies get the fine.  Seems like I remember Stern getting a personal fine as well?  Regardless, the gist of all my comments are that people shouldn't behave badly in public just because they can. 

Badger's avatarBadger

"Thanks for pointing that out to everyone that didn't know that the broadcasting companies get the fine. Seems like I remember Stern getting a personal fine as well? Regardless, the gist of all my comments are that people shouldn't behave badly in public just because they can. "

While that may be true it is also true that at one time the media had credibility.  Over the last decade or so, they have lost most of it.  Anyone who listens to the news now no matter from what venue, and believes what is being said is all factual, is living in the past.

LckyLary

"Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear" - a friend told me once.

Half the fun of winning is the attention (for some). 

Chewie

"Thanks for pointing that out to everyone that didn't know that the broadcasting companies get the fine. Seems like I remember Stern getting a personal fine as well? Regardless, the gist of all my comments are that people shouldn't behave badly in public just because they can. "

While that may be true it is also true that at one time the media had credibility.  Over the last decade or so, they have lost most of it.  Anyone who listens to the news now no matter from what venue, and believes what is being said is all factual, is living in the past.

The media had credibility because the resources to validate their bulldung was not available.  People believe that the networks didn't become biased and one sided until the internet came along.  They have been that way all along.  They hired people who go to the same schools they did, they hired people who think like they do, and they all hang out in the same bars and attend the same celebrations complimenting them on their performances.

People now post the truth in blogs and shoot their bias full of holes.  That is why the media cannot stand non-standard news sources.  FOX is the devil incarnate for NBC; they dare to question the almighty networks - and draw higher ratings.  Technology has enabled the average person to debunk most myths and phonies.  It used to be true because Walter said it.  It is easy to be the all knowing when there were only three stations, and they all said the same thing over and over.  People forget that for generations, there were only three sources for international news, AP, UPI, and Reuters - all three are more liberal then ABC, NBC, and CBS combined.  When your soucre is corrupt, the people reading it to you fall into the corruption.  Millions of America still deny the truth, as long as it came from the networks, it must be true - why would they lie?

Why are newspapers dying off? Why are networks on the road to oblivian?  Why will there never be a another Peter Jenninings?  Because you can't keep intelligent people fooled forever.  When the die-hards, announcers and listeners, die off, the networks will be history.  Famous for overpaying some actors to be stupid on a wekly bases.  Nothing more.

>"Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear" - a friend told me once.

Since you "heard" that from your friend, then you cannot believe any of it! LOL

cats135's avatarcats135

All hoaxes aside, does anyone know if the real winner of the $365 million has come foward yet?

If the winner hasn't come foward yet, they probably don't know that they have won.

I mean, can you imagine winning all the money and staying silent?

I would be screaming from the hills, wouldn't you?

Chewie

Seems like I remember Stern getting a personal fine as well?

He did, then bragged on his show that his insurance company paid it.  All the while, increasing his followers and enabling him to transfer to satellite radio and quadruple his income.  The FCC punished him by sending him to the only place he could be even more famous and make more money - and all the FCC to loose all control of his content.  Another smart move by your U.S. Government.  Lets publicise some guy in NYC, which most adults never listen to, for using language every kid in America uses in the school yard.  Why?  Because it will make do-gooders feel good when they sleep at night.  Doesn't matter what is on television all day long, doesn't matter what movies portray, doesn't matter the example half the mothers in America send when they drive along and give some guy the finger for making them mad.  Doesn't matter that women wear push-up bras to make their boobs look bigger, thereby causing little Johnny (and sometimes Big Johnny) to giggle and smerk in the back of the room.  All that is OK!  Nope, lets do it because it feels good to be selectively rightuous!

Chewie

All hoaxes aside, does anyone know if the real winner of the $365 million has come foward yet?

If the winner hasn't come foward yet, they probably don't know that they have won.

I mean, can you imagine winning all the money and staying silent?

I would be screaming from the hills, wouldn't you?

Turn on the radio.  Turn on the Television.  Use the internet to search news organizations. Its every where!  Even better, go here: https://www.lotterypost.com/news/129110.htm

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Having been involved with magic now for the last 26 years professionally, a good magician does not lie to you at all—he tells you he is going to fool you and he does. Some do so more subtle than others. More importantly he "entertains" you with his entire magic persona, and is actually an "honest liar" so to speak.

But getting back to the other topic at hand, if someone is willing to spend $2,000 or more in order to fake a powerball win simply because they want attention, they truly are idiots and must have some type of psychological disorder.

Heck why not spend that $2,000 on the powerball instead? Some people will do anything they can just to get attention, when in actuality a smart player, and a legitimate winner would be doing the exact opposite.

JohnnyVal02

Let me tell you, there are so many instances of people getting tricked into believing they won the powerball or even as little as a scratch ticket...this site I found has got a couple really hilarious videos of people getting tricked:

http://collegeguru.blogspot.com/2006/02/365-million-dollar-lottery-winners.html 

mylollipop's avatarmylollipop

There used to be a time when journalist researched the stories they were writing and took pride in answering, who, what, when, where....etc.  Now, the majority of journalistic efforts appear to be about the headlines---sensationalize the data if it makes a buck!  Forget about the bare facts.  The recent fiasco about the miners "found alive in the West Virginia" is a prime example of jumping the gun and releasing the information before the FACTS are known.  That was the worst day in journalism for me!  Forget the NY Times fiasco, forget reporters crawling all over the lawns and neighborhood of one of the decapitated American hostage victims in Iraq..."responsible reporters" acting like paparrazi!  I do not have a problem with a particular network, but just journalist of the last five years, in general.  In school, we were taught differently---we were taught that our public depended on us to provide them with the facts---news.  Feature, sports, obituary articles , whatever, get it right (you get the point).  It is about time that journalist were made the brunt of a big joke.  They were greedy for the story of the $365!  Betcha many had come up with how they were going to invade the life of the 'single winner---track 'em down and make them wish they could find an island that banned reporters. 

I can guar-an-tee ya, the next big story will be approached with caution!!!  Maybe this will prompt some 'journalist' to FIND AND VERIFY THE FACTS before they report...Jester Laugh 

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Pagani said he is a former disc jockey

While this prank didn't fall under the "disgusting" category, I have seen/heard several pranks pulled by disc jockeys that are disgusting.  Something should be done to those DJs to keep their pranks in the "suitable for families" range.  Not that Howard Stern pulls pranks but I was all for the fines he got.  That is what should happen to other DJs too.

Common sense.  Common decency.  That is what should keep people from doing things like this. 

Other than that, do we write up a law banning pranks?

You're right, something should be done. We don't have enough laws yet that make things illegal just because some people find them offensive. Congress is finally on the right track with a constitutional amendment to ban flag burning, but they should really step up to the plate and just repeal the whole first amendment. Then people couldn't fool the press, and we wouldn't be forced to listen to all those terrible DJ's saying bad things.  They should pass another amendment to make gambling illegal too, because gambling offends a lot of people. And what about making demon alcohol illegal? Most places won't let you buy it before noon on Sundays, but still sell it after noon, and of course anybody smart enough to plan ahead can still drink it at any time during the Lord's day, not to mention the rest of the week.

It's time for the government to step in, because people can't change to a different station, not gamble or not drink just of their own free will or something.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Having been involved with magic now for the last 26 years professionally, a good magician does not lie to you at all—he tells you he is going to fool you and he does. Some do so more subtle than others. More importantly he "entertains" you with his entire magic persona, and is actually an "honest liar" so to speak.

But getting back to the other topic at hand, if someone is willing to spend $2,000 or more in order to fake a powerball win simply because they want attention, they truly are idiots and must have some type of psychological disorder.

Heck why not spend that $2,000 on the powerball instead? Some people will do anything they can just to get attention, when in actuality a smart player, and a legitimate winner would be doing the exact opposite.

Since three people flew in from elsewhere, rented a car, and stayed overnight it's a safe bet that they spent closer to $4000, but they did it for publicity, not attention. The author mentioned in the story writes about marketing and advertising, and for a measly (and presumably tax deductible) $4000 he got national coverage from major news sources. 

They didn't spend the money on tickets because they aren't morons. If they'd spent $4000 on tickets the odds say they would have gotten back just under $450, for a loss of $3550. They wouldn't have gotten any publicity, a bunch of people in Lincoln wouldn't have gotten a free lunch, and some major news sources wouldn't have gotten egg on their face. It sounds like money well spent to me.

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

2/22/2006

Is it something in the AIR, THE WATER, OR THE CROPS....that made these idiots help put this scam together???????....only in America..........

libra926:

WITH krap, crap, aptt......like this........no WONDER.......we get FUSED!!!!!

STICK with LOTTERY $$$$ and gather the new$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

YOU ARE A WINNER............."U"........................H-E-A-Haaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

LOL AMERICA$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 

PSYKOMO

KY Floyd 

We don't have enough laws yet that make things illegal just because some people find them offensive.

Your sarcasm is wasted on me.  We don't need more laws.  We need LESS laws.   

My question about a law banning pranks was rhetorical.  Of course not.   

Littlemanjen

SirBrad , not a good idea to spend that money on Powerball, instead of what he did. He got what he wanted, national news coverage! That is money well spent in his opinion, not yours.

whitmansm2's avatarwhitmansm2

I'm not seeing the problem here. So he told everyone that he won. So what? Did he hurt anyone? Did he promise anyone the good life? Did he buy a hummer get drunk and almost killed anyone? NO!

He threw egg in the face of the media and gave lunch to some people. HA HA HAHAHA. It wasn't gut busting funny....but it's funny just the same. I'm sure he didn't tell his wife that he won and got her hopes up.

Like someone said before.....No on got hurt. That's the main thing. ITS NOT A BIG DEAL.

TheMacGuffin

Greetings all, first time poster in this forum.  I'm happy to see that most of the people here have a good sense of humor about this hoax, and also can see that there is a larger message about the gullibility of the media.  The man who orchestrated the stunt is no stranger to the game. 

Alan Abel ( www.alanabel.com ) has been pulling the wool over the media's eyes for over 40 years.  There was a great segment about him on 20/20 recently that quoted him as saying that with his hoaxes, he likes to give people a "kick in the intellect" ( http://i.abcnews.com/2020/Entertainment/story?id=1528377 ).  I first learned about Abel when I had the fortune of seeing a fantastic and funny documetary about him last year called "Abel Raises Cain" that chronicled his pranking career ( www.abelraisescain.com ).  Not only was it hillarious and entertaining, but it gave a different perspective on how the media has evolved over the last few decades. 

Some people have said that we live in a nation of sheep who tend to believe everything they see, read, or hear.  I think it's important to have someone like Abel who can make us aware of our own gullibility, and who can make us laugh at the same time.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Since three people flew in from elsewhere, rented a car, and stayed overnight it's a safe bet that they spent closer to $4000, but they did it for publicity, not attention. The author mentioned in the story writes about marketing and advertising, and for a measly (and presumably tax deductible) $4000 he got national coverage from major news sources. 

They didn't spend the money on tickets because they aren't morons. If they'd spent $4000 on tickets the odds say they would have gotten back just under $450, for a loss of $3550. They wouldn't have gotten any publicity, a bunch of people in Lincoln wouldn't have gotten a free lunch, and some major news sources wouldn't have gotten egg on their face. It sounds like money well spent to me.

Assuming that you believe in the whole odds "theory." Nonetheless they would not be considered morons had thay won, and instead of wasting so much time trying to convince others they have. I'll take 2,000 over just a few tickets, or even hundreds any day, instead of wasting it all like they did. Whether they get it back or not, it was all still a waste of time and they are attention whores.

hypersoniq's avatarhypersoniq

The whole prank just goes to show how winners should be able to remain anonymous...

I guess it will take a kidnapping or murder to get the states and the multistate games on board with what Delaware already offers... as long as uncle sam gets their cut, THEY don't care about "exposing" the winner. Who cares who it was if it wasn't you? The oil companies have raped the economy since the Katrina disaster orders of magnitude more money than ALL of the lottery jackpot winners' prize money in the history of the lottery COMBINED would total... to me, THAT is the news I want to see... Once I checked my tickets and they posted that it was hit (and I know I didn't hit it), my involvement with that draw and jackpot is over (save for adding the draw data to excel).

If I win I plan on signing the ticket and applying for a concealed weapon permit and buy a pair of Glock 45mm sidearms and a case of shells before ever cashing the ticket in... If forced into a press conference I plan on letting that little tidbit get printed. (lol, now you will know when I win... "that's the psycho with the guns"... or "claimed anonymously by a trust in PA"... )

bottom line, don't hate the pranksters, hate the idiot media who makes "exposing" the winner such a high priority.

Greetings all, first time poster in this forum.  I'm happy to see that most of the people here have a good sense of humor about this hoax, and also can see that there is a larger message about the gullibility of the media.  The man who orchestrated the stunt is no stranger to the game. 

Alan Abel ( www.alanabel.com ) has been pulling the wool over the media's eyes for over 40 years.  There was a great segment about him on 20/20 recently that quoted him as saying that with his hoaxes, he likes to give people a "kick in the intellect" ( http://i.abcnews.com/2020/Entertainment/story?id=1528377 ).  I first learned about Abel when I had the fortune of seeing a fantastic and funny documetary about him last year called "Abel Raises Cain" that chronicled his pranking career ( www.abelraisescain.com ).  Not only was it hillarious and entertaining, but it gave a different perspective on how the media has evolved over the last few decades. 

Some people have said that we live in a nation of sheep who tend to believe everything they see, read, or hear.  I think it's important to have someone like Abel who can make us aware of our own gullibility, and who can make us laugh at the same time.

Thanks for the information!

Well written and informative post!

One would think that media folks would have done some research!

Ha!  And can we not be gullible too!  I Agree!

Chewie

If I win I plan on signing the ticket and applying for a pair of Glock 45mm sidearms and a case of shells before ever cashing the ticket in...

What is the largest size weapon a concealed carry license in Pensylvania allows?  Most states limit the size to a .45 caliber; keeps the average novice from destroying several neighborhood blocks with each round. 

What does a Glock 45mm look like? Is it a revolver or a semi-automatic? Does it come with a compensated barrel?  What is the retail cost of one?  How many 45mm shells come in a case?  What is the cost of a 45mm shell?  I'd be interested in the model number. Also the name of the company that sells the concealable holster for it.

Oh, by the way, you do realize a 45mm shell would be about 12 inches don't you?

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

"We spent a lot of money buying people's lunches. They had a thrill. . . . Nobody got hurt," he said. "It's kind of like a magic trick - a magician lies to you." 

The only person it might have hurt was the real winner and the anxiety created if he is currently getting his affairs together and forming a Trust or LLC. How would you like to turn on the tv and see somebody claiming your money? I think after getting all that money, however, he'll get over it!  I just hope there wasn't somebody stupid enough to throw away a winning ticket without checking the numbers first. I mean, it could happen, although I assume most people check their numbers just in case they win the lower tier prizes.

Regarding whether or not it should be a crime, I don't like the media, so I can't be a hypocrite.  They are always jumping the gun to get to the story and it's such a competition.  Remember when James Brady was shot and they reported he was dead? You'd think responsible people would verify their sources more carefully. The only thing I don't understand is how any reputable reporter would believe someone without confirming his story and just buy into all the hype. Winning tickets need to be validated , right?  

The reason I can't point fingers is that, when James Frey duped Oprah, I wrote an email to a friend and said I wish I'd thought of that! I am a very honest person, but if I could write a book and sell a million copies, I wouldn't mind embellishing a little and throwing in a few "stories" to make it more colorful. If you think about it..nobody really got hurt spending a few bucks for a book.  It's not like scamming someone by saying she won the lottery and asking for $5,000 or lying about a used car.  On the other hand, I think these guys should spend a little time in jail for fraud to discourage future would-be pranksters.

libra926

The whole prank just goes to show how winners should be able to remain anonymous...

I guess it will take a kidnapping or murder to get the states and the multistate games on board with what Delaware already offers... as long as uncle sam gets their cut, THEY don't care about "exposing" the winner. Who cares who it was if it wasn't you? The oil companies have raped the economy since the Katrina disaster orders of magnitude more money than ALL of the lottery jackpot winners' prize money in the history of the lottery COMBINED would total... to me, THAT is the news I want to see... Once I checked my tickets and they posted that it was hit (and I know I didn't hit it), my involvement with that draw and jackpot is over (save for adding the draw data to excel).

If I win I plan on signing the ticket and applying for a concealed weapon permit and buy a pair of Glock 45mm sidearms and a case of shells before ever cashing the ticket in... If forced into a press conference I plan on letting that little tidbit get printed. (lol, now you will know when I win... "that's the psycho with the guns"... or "claimed anonymously by a trust in PA"... )

bottom line, don't hate the pranksters, hate the idiot media who makes "exposing" the winner such a high priority.

HAPPY FRIDAY......"Hyper"

I don't hate pranksters,  but I enjoyed your posting, especially the part where  you write:

'If I win I plan on signing the ticket and applying for a concealed weapon permit and buy a pair of Glock 45mm sidearms and a case of shells before ever cashing the ticket in... If forced into a press conference I plan on letting that little tidbit get printed. (lol, now you will know when I win... "that's the psycho with the guns"... '

Now that's funny....why do you need so much drama on you??....If you live in Maryland or the Nations Capital, no one can force you into a News Conference....but I liked your posting, it's humorous........

libra926

Thanks for the information!

Well written and informative post!

One would think that media folks would have done some research!

Ha!  And can we not be gullible too!  I Agree!

HAPPY FRIDAY...2/24/2006

While I do have a great sense of humor, my feelings about the hoax are really indifferent. Simply because there are so many  Lottery scams/hoaxs being perpetrated by very clever people, recorded in the Lottery news for our information....I enjoy seeing the "Third Estate" being hung out to dry,  but the principle of the issue, of the hoax is what bothers me, because someone is always coming up w/some clever way to shaft people, and most often very negatively.

libra926

If I win I plan on signing the ticket and applying for a pair of Glock 45mm sidearms and a case of shells before ever cashing the ticket in...

What is the largest size weapon a concealed carry license in Pensylvania allows?  Most states limit the size to a .45 caliber; keeps the average novice from destroying several neighborhood blocks with each round. 

What does a Glock 45mm look like? Is it a revolver or a semi-automatic? Does it come with a compensated barrel?  What is the retail cost of one?  How many 45mm shells come in a case?  What is the cost of a 45mm shell?  I'd be interested in the model number. Also the name of the company that sells the concealable holster for it.

HAPPY FRIDAY "CHEWIE"...2/24/2006

lololololol.....Hyper will never ever waste money on a body guard, not after he purchases that hummer......and we know I don't mean the car........lolooololoo

libra926

The only person it might have hurt was the real winner and the anxiety created if he is currently getting his affairs together and forming a Trust or LLC. How would you like to turn on the tv and see somebody claiming your money? I think after getting all that money, however, he'll get over it!  I just hope there wasn't somebody stupid enough to throw away a winning ticket without checking the numbers first. I mean, it could happen, although I assume most people check their numbers just in case they win the lower tier prizes.

Regarding whether or not it should be a crime, I don't like the media, so I can't be a hypocrite.  They are always jumping the gun to get to the story and it's such a competition.  Remember when James Brady was shot and they reported he was dead? You'd think responsible people would verify their sources more carefully. The only thing I don't understand is how any reputable reporter would believe someone without confirming his story and just buy into all the hype. Winning tickets need to be validated , right?  

The reason I can't point fingers is that, when James Frey duped Oprah, I wrote an email to a friend and said I wish I'd thought of that! I am a very honest person, but if I could write a book and sell a million copies, I wouldn't mind embellishing a little and throwing in a few "stories" to make it more colorful. If you think about it..nobody really got hurt spending a few bucks for a book.  It's not like scamming someone by saying she won the lottery and asking for $5,000 or lying about a used car.  On the other hand, I think these guys should spend a little time in jail for fraud to discourage future would-be pranksters.

HAPPY FRIDAY "JUST"

Speaking of Oprah & that book scam........she was " "P***ed"  hot about that, and displayed it on her program w/him. She even invited the Book Publisher/Editor and tried to get her to take some of the responsibility for the scam.....lololololol......personally, I don't think it's such a good idea to scam or prank anybody thru any medium.  There is a 'principle' involved that should be respected, and accepting these antics, simply encourages people to explore more elaborate and sinister pranks or scams to get attention. I have a great sense of humor, but I do respect the prinicple involved.

TheMacGuffin

"I think these guys should spend a little time in jail for fraud to discourage future would-be pranksters"

If all pranksters and hoaxers were put in jail for "fraud", then we would see the likes of Ashton Kucher, Tom Green, and Jamie Kennedy behind bars.  On second thought, maybe that's a good idea. Wink

These guys never actually tried to claim the prize money.  THAT would be fruadulant.  They were just using the media as a conduit...just like the media uses certain people (victims of crimes, etc.) to get ratings.  The press that fell for the hoax got what they deserved, IMO. 

BTW, there's a great acticle about all this here:

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060224/LIFE01/602240331&lead=1

...the deception that these hoaxers perpetrate in order to have a little fun, is no different than what politicians and corporate officials do every day for profit and personal gain.

Libra926 wrote: "Speaking of Oprah & that book scam........she was " "P***ed"  hot about that, and displayed it on her program w/him. She even invited the Book Publisher/Editor and tried to get her to take some of the responsibility for the scam.....lololololol......personally, I don't think it's such a good idea to scam or prank anybody thru any medium.  There is a 'principle' involved that should be respected, and accepting these antics, simply encourages people to explore more elaborate and sinister pranks or scams to get attention. I have a great sense of humor, but I do respect the prinicple involved."

Oprah was smart to take blame and keep her integrity. All the news reporters were applauding her and saying that politicians should follow her honest & upfront behavior. Still, the guy was very smart and knew he'd sell more books by exaggerating. It was no big deal IMHO.  Anyone who knows me realizes that humor to me is like oxygen. I can't live without it. However, I do agree about "principle" (to a point) which is why I suggested that perhaps they should spend a little time in jail. I also agree that pranks can be sinister and hurt people. Imagine a prank where you tell someone he won the lottery and he's gullible enough to believe you. So he quits his 20 year job only to learn it's a "prank." Some of them are cruel, like making someone believe his or her spouse is cheating or someone is dying.  Once I was at a restaurant where someone at our table obviously paid the waitress to throw a pie in a man's face. He was wearing contacts and an expensive suit. Not happy. Most people living in Boston probably know a seafood place called Durgin Park. I'll never forget it.

I'm not taking sides, because I also agree with The MacGuffin when he/she mentions celebs like Tom Green. I think he's a riot. I occasionally watch Letterman and remember when he sent Rupert G. (owner of Hello Deli) to go around annoying people. One time I thought a guy was going to punch him in the face. Candid Camera was always one of my favorite shows  and I still chuckle when I think of those people talking to a mailbox or watching someone fall into a large wedding cake.  Then there's April Fool's Day pranks...so I guess it depends on how damaging the joke is. Hmm, maybe I just changed my mind! Did anyone see the show that was on recently (and obviously cancelled) where the goal is to get yourself fired from a new job? It was really stupid, but a couple of the contestants had me laughing.

War of the Worlds...1938...one of the biggest pranks of all time and everyone went crazy thinking Martians were really invading the Earth!  

Chewie

Libra926 wrote: "Speaking of Oprah & that book scam........she was " "P***ed"  hot about that, and displayed it on her program w/him. She even invited the Book Publisher/Editor and tried to get her to take some of the responsibility for the scam.....lololololol......personally, I don't think it's such a good idea to scam or prank anybody thru any medium.  There is a 'principle' involved that should be respected, and accepting these antics, simply encourages people to explore more elaborate and sinister pranks or scams to get attention. I have a great sense of humor, but I do respect the prinicple involved."

Oprah was smart to take blame and keep her integrity. All the news reporters were applauding her and saying that politicians should follow her honest & upfront behavior. Still, the guy was very smart and knew he'd sell more books by exaggerating. It was no big deal IMHO.  Anyone who knows me realizes that humor to me is like oxygen. I can't live without it. However, I do agree about "principle" (to a point) which is why I suggested that perhaps they should spend a little time in jail. I also agree that pranks can be sinister and hurt people. Imagine a prank where you tell someone he won the lottery and he's gullible enough to believe you. So he quits his 20 year job only to learn it's a "prank." Some of them are cruel, like making someone believe his or her spouse is cheating or someone is dying.  Once I was at a restaurant where someone at our table obviously paid the waitress to throw a pie in a man's face. He was wearing contacts and an expensive suit. Not happy. Most people living in Boston probably know a seafood place called Durgin Park. I'll never forget it.

I'm not taking sides, because I also agree with The MacGuffin when he/she mentions celebs like Tom Green. I think he's a riot. I occasionally watch Letterman and remember when he sent Rupert G. (owner of Hello Deli) to go around annoying people. One time I thought a guy was going to punch him in the face. Candid Camera was always one of my favorite shows  and I still chuckle when I think of those people talking to a mailbox or watching someone fall into a large wedding cake.  Then there's April Fool's Day pranks...so I guess it depends on how damaging the joke is. Hmm, maybe I just changed my mind! Did anyone see the show that was on recently (and obviously cancelled) where the goal is to get yourself fired from a new job? It was really stupid, but a couple of the contestants had me laughing.

War of the Worlds...1938...one of the biggest pranks of all time and everyone went crazy thinking Martians were really invading the Earth!  

Its all about knowing limitations.  Candid Camera knew their limits.  The "Jackass" did not know the limit.  Sneak up on my house in the middle of the night, dark as it gets, and try to scare me out of my wits?  Your funeral will the highlight of the community.  Old man, in the dark, puts two in the heart and one in the head.  Rest in Peace.

libra926

HAPPY SATURDAY...."JUST"

Yes, I do remember the show you speak of, it was indeed interesting, comical and also insightful to some degree, especially as the Bosses really were being  tested, on patience, understanding  and trust. I too agree w/your statements....as listed below:

Imagine a prank where you tell someone he won the lottery and he's gullible enough to believe you. So he quits his 20 year job only to learn it's a "prank." Some of them are cruel, like making someone believe his or her spouse is cheating or someone is dying.

All too true, and it's easy to create stories of infidelity, because people can make up details of daliances and rendevous, that really sound convincing....

In fact, that is why I delete all the emails regarding Monies people want me to help them bank away here in the United States, or hold for them, and I would get part of it....ect, all sorts of crap these 'con artists' try to sell you....I'm too sophisticated and educated to be "hoodwinked" by these idiots....they refer to me by my real first name, and wouldn't know me if they knocked me down in a crowd, or ran passed me to catch the subway.  Some of them have foreign names I cannot even pronounce let alone spell.........lolololololol

libra926

HAPPY SATURDAY....."CHEWIE".....

LOLOLOLOLOL0.........(LMAO).....sometimes you and "DOUBLE DOWN"(DD) are too mcuh for me. I swear I can't stop ...........

Hey, tell me, which is worse...you or"HYPER"...with the "consealed 45mm" going to  the news conference(when he wins) to claim his prize......LOLOLOLOL....I just luv it......

Chewie

HAPPY SATURDAY....."CHEWIE".....

LOLOLOLOLOL0.........(LMAO).....sometimes you and "DOUBLE DOWN"(DD) are too mcuh for me. I swear I can't stop ...........

Hey, tell me, which is worse...you or"HYPER"...with the "consealed 45mm" going to  the news conference(when he wins) to claim his prize......LOLOLOLOL....I just luv it......

I live in NJ - no concealed firearms at news conferences - just my charm and wit to keep them at bay!  Thanks to technology, I can use my concealed cellphone to dial 9-1-1-P-R-A-Y.  You remember New Jersey?  One of those states that would rather see your grandmother gang-raped, laying in the gutter, and being urinated upon, then have a chance to defend herself with a legal firearm!  Why am I going to retire in Texas?  Hummmm.

"Yes, I do remember the show you speak of, it was indeed interesting, comical and also insightful to some degree, especially as the Bosses really were being  tested, on patience, understanding  and trust. "

Hi, Libra. Yup, I couldn't believe that the contestants didn't get fired right away. I've had the opposite luck. I've been the perfect employee and gotten screamed at for no reason except that the manager was having one of his mood swings.  I agree with Chewie, even if he is kidding around. People do get shot over what started out to be a playful prank. Some colleges banned the fraternity hazing that was popular years ago because it resulted in serious injury. I think people just need to use common sense. Personally I hate to be teased. I think most people feel that way because there's a thin line between harmless fun and cruelty.

hypersoniq's avatarhypersoniq

oops, I forgot the "." in .45mm

I guess I would need a forward obserber with a 45mm Big Grin

I'm almost certain that the biggest glock with a compensated barrel is the .357

Its all about knowing limitations.  Candid Camera knew their limits.  The "Jackass" did not know the limit.  Sneak up on my house in the middle of the night, dark as it gets, and try to scare me out of my wits?  Your funeral will the highlight of the community.  Old man, in the dark, puts two in the heart and one in the head.  Rest in Peace.

I Agree!I can laud Oprah for taking responsibility.  Journalist are trained to be responsible for the information they put forth.  That information should be factual.  It is your responsibility/your dadburned job! to make sure that it is correct.  It just irks me to the utmost Madwhen journalist KNOW that the general public is gullible to an extent because "they saw it in the paper, on the news, etc, etc.  Yeah, War of the Worlds!  Green laugh

When I was old enough to vote in Presidential elections, I was so disgruntled because  my forefathers deemed the citizens who elected them to office too stupid to vote for President; thus the electoral college!  And the electoral college does not necessarily have to vote the way the constituents in their state voted.  There have been instances where the electoral votes did not reflect the popular vote.  With that said, journalist know what they produce is absorbed hook, line, and sinker most of the time.  The citizens have politicians thinking and voting for them and journalists thinking for them and presenting them with the "facts".

That prank was a WAKE-UP CallJesterfor journalist.  A big majority of journalist have made mockery of the profession, due to their lack of professionalismSTOP half-stepping.  Had they been doing their jobs, the headlines would have read, Pranksters Claim to 365 PB Foiled!

I agree mylollipop.  I don't believe half of what I read any more.  I know we're not supposed to go off subject on this board, so I'll try to make this brief. Here's just one example of why I'm always skeptical. When my Grandmother was 106 a reporter from the Boston Globe approached my father and asked if she could write an article on her life. She said a photographer would be at the Center For The Aged where she lived to take pictures.  My grandmother had her hair braided and was waiting in her best dress, but nobody came.  A few weeks later her picture covered the entire front page of a magazine that is inserted in the Sunday paper. (called the Boston Globe Magazine)  It was a terribly unflattering close-up that was taken just after her eyes were examined. She didn't remember anyone taking it, but it looked as if she was crying.  Her name appeared nowhere at all in the article. I'll change her name for anonymity's sake, but under her photo all it read was something like "106 year old Jennifer Truman sits in her lonely room at the (name of Assisted Living Center) and the article was called "The Plight of Older Women in America."  My grandmother was married for over 60 years and after my grandfather died, she moved in with my Aunt.  My Aunt died and, since she was too frail to be on her own without round the clock help, my father fought to get her admitted in a very nice home for the aged (not a nursing home) where she was well cared for and had friends. It wasn't easy fighting the system because they put her on a long waiting list. (anyone see her age?)  He visited her every night after work and the rest of the family met there every Sunday. Anyway, before I end up writing a book here, it's obvious this reporter got excited when she heard there was a woman over 100 and her picture would certainly make the story more colorful. The article she wrote had nothing to do with my Grandmother at all.

Chewie

oops, I forgot the "." in .45mm

I guess I would need a forward obserber with a 45mm Big Grin

I'm almost certain that the biggest glock with a compensated barrel is the .357

I think you mean a .45 caliber, not mm.  A 45 mm, without or without the "dot", would require a railroad car for mobility.   A 10mm is close to a .40 cal and a 9mm is close to a .38 cal.  A .357 is a suped-up .38 cal, with a ton of velocity. The "new" .50 cal sniper rifle supposedly has the impact of a train engine.  I remember chopping down trees, with a Browning .50 cal machine gun, more then a mile away.  My spotter, with a telescope guided the rounds.  Sure impressed the NVA hiding behind the tree!

wewin

Actually if people knew the real story behind all this, they would call him a genius. Why? The person that funded this so-called hoax is a well-respected businessman, famous author, super copywriter and a friend of mine. And it was to actually get the medias attention to promote a book. Thats all it was used for and they've succeeded.

You see when people hear the word "Hoax" they automatically think its a scam and all kind of thoughts goes through the mind, but yet its the media who made it to be a hoax. What these people (my friend and his accompliances) did had nothing to do with any unlawful act. They didnt convert into stealing millions of dollars or robbing people of their wealth. Honestly, they simply distracted the media into this awesome frenzy that it got national attention. Thereby creating national exposure for his books. Like a great Houdini. lol

This is Free Advertising at its ultimate best.

Ok now to buy a ticket.

Have fun,

Wewin

Chewie

Still sounds childish.  Mature, rationale, adults have the intelligence to find productive ways of achieving goals; without resorting to pranks.  Having said that, obviously your mentality and that of the ABC team, have reached a nominal playing field. 

wewin

lol ... call it what you may but looks who's getting all the attention and making millions. I'll drink to that.

Wewin 

Chewie

lol ... call it what you may but looks who's getting all the attention and making millions. I'll drink to that.

Wewin 

No one ever said you had to be a mature person to be rich.  I see a lot of idiots driving luxury cars every day.  Don't have the brains to study a map before they get behind the wheel and wind up parked in the multi-striped area trying to find north.

wewin

Oh ok thats cool and you're right. Lets have a drink ... I'm buying ok.

Cheers

GoldenLife

Do you realize how much a 30 second ad spot on network TV costs?
Do you realize how CHEAP $2000 is in relation to this?
Do you realize that Dr. Vitale has gained more national media exposure by financing this stunt than any 30 second ad spot on network TV could possibly deliver?
Do you realize how many millions of people there are who could financially benefit from the power of "Outrageous Marketing," who now know of Dr. Joe Vitale, a student of P.T. Barnum (America's first millionaire) and a promoter of "Outrageous Marketing?"
And do you realize that these many millions of people who now know of Dr. Joe Vitale are suddenly, by this outrageous stunt, in line to learn more about him, and PAY HIM for his many beneficial books, products and services that will reward these many millions, and HIM, many thousands times what it cost to pull this stunt?

Truly, those with "psychological disorders" are the ones who drop $2.5 million for a 30 second spot during the Super Bowl. Now, that's INSANE!

Here's the link to Dr. Vitale's blog entry that details why he pulled this stunt. Scroll down to the March 7, 2006 entry titled, "The Great Lotto Hoax Revealed, or, Why P.T. Barnum and Benjaming Franlin Love Me Now."

http://mrfire.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_mrfire_archive.html

And speaking of Benjamin Franklin, besides his "Kite Hoax" -- something Dr. Vitale mentions in his post (and I was not previously aware that this legend was a hoax) -- there's also the stunt he pulled when he initiated "Poor Richard's Almanack" in 1733. It's simply hilarious!

Being much the scientist, Ben Franklin chose to attack the mystics -- i.e. magicians who do not have the decency to admit that they are "honest liars" -- by beginning his venture as "Richard Saunders," author of "Poor Richard's Almanack," doing what mystics do: predicting the future.

And what did he predict?

The exact date and time that his main competitor, a Mr. Titan Leeds, a rival almanack-maker, WOULD DIE!

It's just hilarious!! And, if you'd like, you can read it at the following link. Franklin carried on this hoax for a number of years following 1733, and it, no doubt, served his effort well.

http://www.antiquebooks.net/cgi-bin/bookfront?book=7

(Once you click "Press Here to Begin Reading," you'll have to click the "Next" button to the left of the web page a couple times before you get to the preface of the 1733 Almanack.)

Granted, Franklin gained financially by this, as he typically sold around 10,000 copies of "Poor Richards Almanack" per year. Yet at the same time, he did a public service, too. He served the public good. He put the whole silly notion of astrology in its rightful place: DEAD. And he did it all in good humor, too.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story