Mega Millions lottery jackpot raised to $212 million

Feb 23, 2006, 2:20 pm (21 comments)

Mega Millions

A dramatic increase in sales of Mega Millions lottery tickets has prompted the twelve Mega Millions states to raise the jackpot mid-week to $212 million.

The new cash option is $126 million.

"Recently, the news has been filled with big jackpots and winners," said Mike Doyle, spokesperson for the California State Lottery. "Wouldn't you love to be part of the winning?"

The sharply-increasing Mega Millions jackpot comes on the heels of a Powerball jackpot this week that set the record for the largest North American lottery jackpot in history.

The $365 million Powerball jackpot was claimed this week by eight meat processing workers in Lincoln Nebraska.

The drawing for the $212 million Mega Millions drawing is Friday night at 11:00 PM Eastern Standard time.

Players try to match five numbers drawn from a pool of 56, and one number drawn from a separate pool of 46.

Lottery Post Staff

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

delS

Sales are going to soar for a while.  We have had a few major jackots over the last 5 months.  So, this is good business for the bottom line, for all involved.  I just wish and hope that I'm a major winner somewhere in the mix! 

nomoneybabe

People seem to be really crazy of the jackpot ...It is fine but please let Mega keep moving more couple steps !!!

LOTTOMIKE's avatarLOTTOMIKE

hope they eventually get the megaplier....

vbmx
hm. i hope i win :)  studying for my upcoming accounting test is driving me crazy.  i'd probably take hte darn test anyways though.  last semester at college.  it'd be a waste.
hmm i'm really thinking ahead.
good luck to everyone that plays!
LckyLary

We should have a side contest to guess where the winner will be sold.

Here's my guess...

It will be won this Friday.

The name of the town will have the word "Heights" in it, and will be a suburb of a major city such as Cleveland.

The name of the store will have one or more of the following words in it: "Quick" (probably misspelled intentionally i.e. "Quic, Kwik, Qwicq, etc."), "Shop", "Stop", "Go", "Mart".  i.e. the "Qwickie-Shop-And-Go-Mart".

It will be at least 500 miles from where I live.

Someone will claim to have lost the ticket and then become a boxer.

Chewie

Bought time they raised it to a level that makes it worth my while to claim.  For awhile there, I was thinking there was going to be an unclaimed winning ticket.

WickedHugger99

Well this is my first post on here but i wanna wish everyone the best of luck.  I making the 45minute drive to Georiga today (Im from AL) to try my families luck at the $212million

tg636

If I try to think logically about jackpot amounts, I come to the conclusion that no matter what the size of the jackpot is, it is huge (to me anyway). Even if Mega Millions was at $12 million, the smallest it can be, and then I split that with someone else and "only" won $6 million,  that would be enough for me. That makes it hard for me to buy an extra ticket when it's really big, because any jackpot is big enough for me, so I don't feel there are any "special" jackpots to go crazy about.

weshar75's avatarweshar75

When Mega Millions rolls tonight I am guessing that it will be at least a $255 million annuity jackpot for tuesday.-weshar75

winner2b

come on baby!!! lets ROLL!!! lol

Dance

fxdwg's avatarfxdwg

If I try to think logically about jackpot amounts, I come to the conclusion that no matter what the size of the jackpot is, it is huge (to me anyway). Even if Mega Millions was at $12 million, the smallest it can be, and then I split that with someone else and "only" won $6 million,  that would be enough for me. That makes it hard for me to buy an extra ticket when it's really big, because any jackpot is big enough for me, so I don't feel there are any "special" jackpots to go crazy about.

A very sane and Practical way to approach the lottery.

I have a friend who goes absolutely nuts when it get high and has been known to blow his entire paycheck on tickets only to come up empty.......... then he is impossible to live with for days after

Just6ntlc

I hope Mega Millions takes back their North American Jackpot record soon. Powerball jackpot last week and Mega Millions lotto sales help contribute Mega Millions growing faster. If it rolls, I think they'll set a new roll 14 record which currently stands at 239 million.

mken32's avatarmken32

yes... I hope I'll win tonight I would loved to quit my job fast and furious.

DoubleDown

Or.... you could be like the meat plant worker that said he wasn't sure if he was going to quit his job or not.

This with 15.5 million in his bank account.....Green laugh

I'm sure he just loves putting ham in cans.

DD

mylollipop's avatarmylollipop

Or.... you could be like the meat plant worker that said he wasn't sure if he was going to quit his job or not.

DD

...or he likes the order of going to work everday...he likes the familiar.  When he gets used to the money; he might decide to quit work if he has invested his money wisely.  I would still work too.  I 'd  have more job security...wouldn't have to put with because this job is the only meal ticket...Smile

Dream's avatarDream

Dance

$212M, $255M, $365M.....So, what!!!!!!!!!!  if you can't even win $12M

Editgap

Talk about not tring to get off their high.

Dance

$212M, $255M, $365M.....So, what!!!!!!!!!!  if you can't even win $12M

Roll and celebrate for the one(s) who do win. Guitar  Or as they say in Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Tide Roll!

I say, Roll big jackpots roll and keep rolling, it will be "All good one day for somebody!(ies)Hyper

DoubleDown

DD

...or he likes the order of going to work everday...he likes the familiar.  When he gets used to the money; he might decide to quit work if he has invested his money wisely.  I would still work too.  I 'd  have more job security...wouldn't have to put with because this job is the only meal ticket...Smile

In the words of Charles Barkley, " I might be wrong, but I doubt it ".

"work" is a relative term. You can go to work or you can have work come to you.

I assure you if I had 15.5 Mil, work would come to me.

Chewie

That $12M you're talking about splitting is annuity - and before any of the outlay that is required.  In today's world, that amount over money is only bankruptcy bait.  Get excited, spend it wrong, and you're down to a 4x4 in shanty town.

MM, have your day!  Give us another big one!  A record!

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story