$200,000 N.M. Powerball lottery ticket expires

Mar 10, 2006, 10:46 pm (28 comments)

Powerball

A $200,000 winning Powerball lottery ticket sold in New Mexico expired today, without anyone stepping forward to rightfully claim the prize.

That is not to say that the New Mexico Lottery did not hear from several people claiming to be holding the winning ticket.

The calls received by lottery headquarters included one person who said she was on her way.

New Mexico Lottery officials explained that this type of fraudulent claim is the key reason that most U.S. lotteries won't confirm that someone has come forward until the ticket has actually been verified.

The New Mexico Lottery claim center closed for the weekend at 4:30 without anyone having claimed the second prize Powerball ticket from December 10.

Both the Lottery claim center and many retailers across the state reported that the attention to this unclaimed prize was an incentive for players to bring in tickets from Powerball, Roadrunner Cash and other games, having them scanned and checked.

Unclaimed prizes are returned to the prize pool for future New Mexico Lottery games.

Saturday evening's Powerball jackpot is up to $62 million.

Lottery Post Staff

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

starchild_45's avatarstarchild_45

rip snorter i swear you had this ticket. how could you let it go unclaimed? LOL

Chewie

Additional proof that the lower the IQ, the better your chance of hold a winning ticket.

LOTTOMIKE's avatarLOTTOMIKE

Additional proof that the lower the IQ, the better your chance of hold a winning ticket.

rip was torn between keeping it displayed in a trophy case for all his visitors to see or turning it in for the money........

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

I have the winning ticket, I just could not part with it for only $200,000. Never saw a ticket with all the numbers like that match before, so I got it laminated.

Chewie

rip was torn between keeping it displayed in a trophy case for all his visitors to see or turning it in for the money........

Whatever else Rip is, he is N-O-T stupid!  Only stupid people do stupid things.  Some times stupid people control their stupidity, but eventually it comes out by their doing something stupid or saying something stupid.  No matter how much you want to make it politically correct, stupid is stupid; not claiming $200,000 is S-T-U-P-I-D !  A dead person has more inteligence then the stupid person who bought that ticket!

Whatever else Rip is, he is N-O-T stupid!  Only stupid people do stupid things.  Some times stupid people control their stupidity, but eventually it comes out by their doing something stupid or saying something stupid.  No matter how much you want to make it politically correct, stupid is stupid; not claiming $200,000 is S-T-U-P-I-D !  A dead person has more inteligence then the stupid person who bought that ticket!

let it be known that now and forever forward i am not calling him stupid. i have much respect for the man. i just wanted to get a smile out of him because i know he lives in new mexico. let the record show this was just in jest. plus if i ever get down there he said he would buy me a cup of coffee.

let it be known that now and forever forward i am not calling him stupid. i have much respect for the man. i just wanted to get a smile out of him because i know he lives in new mexico. let the record show this was just in jest. plus if i ever get down there he said he would buy me a cup of coffee.

i feel the same way starchild.rip would know i was being silly.he knows i'm a joker! i'm a joker,i'm a toker,i'm a midnight smoker or whatever way you slice it.rip would know i'm joking.he knows my sense of humor and it was a laugh thats all........

Chewie

I NEVER meant to infer YOU were calling Rip stupid.  What I said was, not claiming $200,000 IS stupid, and Rip is NOT stupid.  He would claim the money. Perhaps I should have seperated the positions better.

all i can say is peace. let the conversation string die.

Lurking

mylollipop's avatarmylollipop

It is quite possible that the person died before claiming the ticket.  I read at this web site site that a woman was hit  by a car within hours of claiming her million dollar prize (I think).  Maybe the holder of this ticket never got the opportunity to claim it.  Anyway, more money to the pot.Troll

CASH Only

I guess you have only 90 days to claim a PB prize in NM. Iowa has the same time limit.

libra926

rip snorter i swear you had this ticket. how could you let it go unclaimed? LOL

HAPPY SATURDAY EVERYONE.....3/11/2006

LOLOLOL.....you really read my mind this time......LOLOOL..

That's exactly who I thought about when I read the story, as he is a resident of NM......LOLOLOL

But..RIP is much toooooo smart and sharp to let a winning Ticket get away from him...Wink

libra926

Chewie:

As I have a Masters Degree in Communications, does that mean, based upon your theory, that I may never ever win the 'BIG ONE'????...What?

libra926

I have the winning ticket, I just could not part with it for only $200,000. Never saw a ticket with all the numbers like that match before, so I got it laminated.

HAPPY SATURDAY........No Pity!

Now, either your IQ is somewhere under ground, or you are already soooooo richhhhhh that FORBES....just listed you beside your fellow Billionaire Cousins, who yawn when they can't figure out what to buy for $200,000.00......

libra926

Lurking

HAPPY SATURDAY 'LM'

May I please have some of your popcorn?????.....I ate all mine up because it makes me nervous to see $200,000.00 worth of houses, clothes and cars expire in someone's pants pocket, coat pocket or junk drawer..........

Thud 

Lurking

HAPPY SATURDAY 'LM'

May I please have some of your popcorn?????.....I ate all mine up because it makes me nervous to see $200,000.00 worth of houses, clothes and cars expire in someone's pants pocket, coat pocket or junk drawer..........

Thud 

sure.......i think its sad people buy lotto tickets and lose them like they do.

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

It's not uncommon for a lottery ticket to go unclaimed. I've seen multi-million $$$ jackpots expire. It's not my money, so I don't know why I get so annoyed, but it's become one of my pet peeves. I simply will never understand why anyone would buy a lotto ticket without knowing the rules or toss it a drawer or a pants pocket.  Maybe the winner thought he had more time since the rules are different in each state.  I mentioned last week that a $184,000 Fantasy Five ticket expired locally. There's always a list on the FL website and several go unclaimed. Years ago it was a lotto jackpot for over $22 million, although that's unusual. That's why I agree with mylollipop it's very possible some of these people die before claiming their money, either by natural causes or in an accident. Some of them might be tourists, but one would think they'd still check the numbers online. That being said, there are still many people without computers, although every library has them available for free.  Again, it's just one of those things that will boggle my mind until I die or don't a mind to boggle.

libra926

It's not uncommon for a lottery ticket to go unclaimed. I've seen multi-million $$$ jackpots expire. It's not my money, so I don't know why I get so annoyed, but it's become one of my pet peeves. I simply will never understand why anyone would buy a lotto ticket without knowing the rules or toss it a drawer or a pants pocket.  Maybe the winner thought he had more time since the rules are different in each state.  I mentioned last week that a $184,000 Fantasy Five ticket expired locally. There's always a list on the FL website and several go unclaimed. Years ago it was a lotto jackpot for over $22 million, although that's unusual. That's why I agree with mylollipop it's very possible some of these people die before claiming their money, either by natural causes or in an accident. Some of them might be tourists, but one would think they'd still check the numbers online. That being said, there are still many people without computers, although every library has them available for free.  Again, it's just one of those things that will boggle my mind until I die or don't a mind to boggle.

HAPPY SUNDAY...3/12/2006..."JUST"

I can appreciate your points...they were indeed well made....I guess it all shows how very different people can be. Any number of reasons could prevent someone from claiming the prize. But, even in Death, (My Mom died in 1996) the family members ususally go thru all the personal letters, documents, bills, receipts, cancelled checks....ect of the deceased. If my Mom had ever purchased a Lottery Ticket, even that would have been discovered and naturally turned over to the Attys for Probate.

Funny, the actual purchaser doesn't even have to check their Tickets, they can go to the store where the tickets were bought, and hand them over to the clerk to run them thru the register. If any ticket had a winning series, the clerk can tell them. Like you "just" it also boggles my mind.

DoubleDown

I can appreciate your points...they were indeed well made....I guess it all shows how very different people can be. Any number of reasons could prevent someone from claiming the prize. But, even in Death, (My Mom died in 1996) the family members ususally go thru all the personal letters, documents, bills, receipts, cancelled checks....ect of the deceased. If my Mom had ever purchased a Lottery Ticket, even that would have been discovered and naturally turned over to the Attys for Probate.

Funny, the actual purchaser doesn't even have to check their Tickets, they can go to the store where the tickets were bought, and hand them over to the clerk to run them thru the register. If any ticket had a winning series, the clerk can tell them. Like you "just" it also boggles my mind.

Libra, JXP : I have read stories where people threw the tickets in a drawer and forgot about them and only thought about it when they heard the news report.

We're all different, but I never put my tickets anywhere except in my car then I put them next to my laptop so I can check them right away when I log on in the am...

I have a friend that doesn't check his tickets for a few days after the drawing -- I cannot wait that long- I gotta know right away if I get to call in to work and tell them that I got something in my eye, and I just can't SEE working there anymore !!! 

DD

CASH Only

FL Lotto/Mega Money jackpot tickets claimed after 60 days following the drawing might as well be thrown away-the "winner" forfeits his/her/their right to collect in lump sum. Most lotteries start the 60-day clock when the ticket is claimed.

Prob988

Maybe the shock killed the person.

I often wonder if my heart could handle the discovery of a big lottery win, but I'm willing to find out. 

libra926

Libra, JXP : I have read stories where people threw the tickets in a drawer and forgot about them and only thought about it when they heard the news report.

We're all different, but I never put my tickets anywhere except in my car then I put them next to my laptop so I can check them right away when I log on in the am...

I have a friend that doesn't check his tickets for a few days after the drawing -- I cannot wait that long- I gotta know right away if I get to call in to work and tell them that I got something in my eye, and I just can't SEE working there anymore !!! 

DD

WELL HAPPY SUNDAY "DD"....3/12/2006

LOLOLOLOLOL....as usual you can make me laugh quicker than anyone. When I buy tickets I cannot just forget them, they are always in the back of my mind, no matter how pre-occupied I might be. ..Additionally, I am sometimes baffled by the numbers drawn. Some of them are soooo strange, I would never have thought up the combination.  I need to learn to be more creative w/my nuber series, then maybe my chances of winning would be better.

See Ya!

libra926

Addendum..."DD"

$$$$31,000,000.00.... push it up......!!!!!! keep it rising now!!!!!!Type

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

"FL Lotto/Mega Money jackpot tickets claimed after 60 days following the drawing might as well be thrown away-the "winner" forfeits his/her/their right to collect in lump sum. Most lotteries start the 60-day clock when the ticket is claimed."

Hey. CASH! Anyone ever call you obsessive? I agree I'd want a lump sum, but I'd certainly take $100,000 a year free money!  Even after taxes that's over $5,000 a month net. Even those of you on this board who make a 6 figure income must certainly appreciate an extra $65,000 or more a year in spending money!

Sorry you lost your Mom, Libra. Mine passed in 92. I know what you mean about going through one's possessions, but many people don't do that for years. My neighbor lost his wife over a year ago and hasn't touched her things, so it would depend on where a person "hid" the ticket. You are assuming most people place it in a safe or with other important documents. Like DD, I don't wait at all. Even if I'm very tired I'll still check the numbers before bedtime. That way you know whether or not you can turn off the alarm. 

"Maybe the shock killed the person."

Yes, Prob.  I know you're joking, but I said that the other day at a store. I don't think $200,000 would do however, although a $300M PB jackpot might be a real shock. Somehow I think I'd find a way to deal with it!

lots of fine conversation but what about the man that this was supposed to be for. a joke is not funny if you don't see him laugh!! rip where are ya bud?

Rip Snorter

Okay starchild.  Here I am.  Thanks for the PM telling me about the thread.

Item 1:  The presence, or the absence of that ticket in my life has no bearing on whether I'm stupid.  Hell, of COURSE i'm stupid.  'Way too stupid to have been the person who managed to own that ticket, even though they didn't claim it.

Item 2:  There's something you people don't understand about New Mexicans:  We buy lottery tickets because we enjoy trying to read the numbers on them.  Someday when we get that down pat we'll try to learn to read the other numbers.... the ones that say whether the first numbers won.  The process takes 100 days on average.  Which is a fact well known by NM Lottery Commission and the folks who make the rools.

Item 3:  We don't need no stinking Lottery winnings.  We're poor and under-educated and we are by-golly not going to be swindled out of it by no stinking lottery.

Thanks for the chuckles and big wins to all of you,

Jack 

Okay starchild.  Here I am.  Thanks for the PM telling me about the thread.

Item 1:  The presence, or the absence of that ticket in my life has no bearing on whether I'm stupid.  Hell, of COURSE i'm stupid.  'Way too stupid to have been the person who managed to own that ticket, even though they didn't claim it.

Item 2:  There's something you people don't understand about New Mexicans:  We buy lottery tickets because we enjoy trying to read the numbers on them.  Someday when we get that down pat we'll try to learn to read the other numbers.... the ones that say whether the first numbers won.  The process takes 100 days on average.  Which is a fact well known by NM Lottery Commission and the folks who make the rools.

Item 3:  We don't need no stinking Lottery winnings.  We're poor and under-educated and we are by-golly not going to be swindled out of it by no stinking lottery.

Thanks for the chuckles and big wins to all of you,

Jack 

LMAOLOLROFL

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story