N.C. Lottery will have some unique vendors

Mar 23, 2006, 6:46 am (18 comments)

North Carolina Lottery

Thousands of retailers are getting ready to sell North Carolina lottery tickets. But it won't just be convenience stores and supermarkets.

The Paper Doll Lounge, a Charlotte strip club, will be offering the lottery along with its lap dances.

"We're the only (strip) club that has it," said Chris Falls, owner of the Paper Doll Lounge. "And I also have something the convenience stores don't."

Any business in the state can apply to sell tickets for the game that begins March 30, with the only restriction being that lottery sales cannot be an operation's sole business.

The Paper Doll, which bills itself on a hot-pink awning as "The Grand Daddy" of Charlotte strip clubs, will sell lottery tickets from the club's entrance booth. 

Falls expects other strip clubs will be quick to add lottery sales once the games get going.

"It's another way to make money," he said.

The state is not tracking how many adult-oriented businesses are selling tickets, said Alice Garland, the lottery's deputy executive director.

An adult-oriented shop in Kinston also plans to sell tickets — alongside its adult movies, novelties and games.

Fun-N-Stuff owner Maurice Jackson noted that lottery players need to be 18, the same minimum age for entering his store. Plus, he said, a share of lottery revenues are going to education.

There will even be tickets sold at Financial Freedom Planners, a north Charlotte business that helps clients secure mortgages and eliminate debt.

The Paper Doll Lounge, a Charlotte strip club, will be offering the lottery along with its lap dances.Visla Ealy, a broker at Financial Freedom Planners, said it's not ironic to have the tickets sold at her workplace.

"Someone's long-term financial gain or prosperity could be funded by the lottery," she said Wednesday, six days before scratch-off tickets will be available for the first time.

Ealy doesn't see it as promoting gambling — just another way to gain business.

"If they didn't buy them here, they'd buy them somewhere else," she said.

Another unique lottery vendor is the Sleep Time Mattress Center in Gaston County. Its reason for selling tickets? Everybody else is.

Every retailer had to apply for a license and pass a background check first. State officials checked for any criminal history, and they made certain that tax payments were up to date.

"It was not difficult; we didn't even know it was done," said Karamjit Kaur of Cigarettes and More, a business located off Pineville-Matthews Road in south Charlotte.

Retailers will get a 7 percent commission on tickets sold in their store. Lottery sales are beginning with scratch-off tickets, followed by Powerball on May 30 and state numbers games this fall.

Lottery Post Staff

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

CalifDude

Well, that sure makes it easy.  I know where I will be purchasing my NC lotto tickets!!

cps10's avatarcps10

CD

You would be wise to purchase them there...there are some smokin' hot ladies in that joint. I used to go all the time, but I guess I grew out of it.

Although I must say, they are inviting even more shady characters by offering lottery in there. It's bad enough with some of the creepers that lurk in there now...I could just imagine what kind of sludge will be drifting in there now.

Wait a minute....I used to be one of those nudie bar creepers...LOL

qutgnt

Is 7 percent to retailers the highest in the nation?

cps10's avatarcps10

It has to be...I always thought it was 2-3%.

libra926

CD

You would be wise to purchase them there...there are some smokin' hot ladies in that joint. I used to go all the time, but I guess I grew out of it.

Although I must say, they are inviting even more shady characters by offering lottery in there. It's bad enough with some of the creepers that lurk in there now...I could just imagine what kind of sludge will be drifting in there now.

Wait a minute....I used to be one of those nudie bar creepers...LOL

HAPPY FRIDAY......"CPS10"

WHERE have you been???? Nice of you to tell me you won the Lottery.........lolololololol...thought I was your buddy......lololololol....Don't worry, I won't ask for any money....................

Wink

cps10's avatarcps10

Libra

I could ask you the same thing! I haven't seen you around these parts lately! LOL

I have been working on a new Pick-3...imagine that. So far, so good...profits are working...just hope they keep up. What have you been doing?

NCPicks

Is 7 percent to retailers the highest in the nation?

Not sure but,in S.C.=7%,in Tn=6.5%,in Va=5%+1% for cashing payouts of less than $600......So,7% in N.C. is about average for this area.

CASH Only

Since you'll have to be 18 to buy tickets, it makes sense for adult-oriented businesses to apply. You might want to question that so many liquor stores sell tickets, since their minimum is 21.

libra926

Libra

I could ask you the same thing! I haven't seen you around these parts lately! LOL

I have been working on a new Pick-3...imagine that. So far, so good...profits are working...just hope they keep up. What have you been doing?

Hi there.....

I have been working....lolololol.....you know, just the old 'grind stone'......I love the way the powerball is moving........you know, like the Sun. It's rising in the East, but it's setting in the West. I hope it continues to grow, because I become totally inspired. I just hope that the next time it finally sets, it will do so in the East, because that's where I am.......lolololol 

How does the weekend look for you????

Ladyluck2005's avatarLadyluck2005

Well those are some interesting places to sell the tickets.  Food Dog....I mean Food Lion Big Smile.....is selling tickets right?

inittowin's avatarinittowin

Do you know where a brother can get a table dance? By the way, I need to pick up some lottery tickets too!    Green laugh

cps10's avatarcps10

Lady

Yes...most of the Food Lions in the area will be selling them. Not only here in Charlotte but also across the state. I think only 5-10% of all Food Lions will NOT be selling them.

cps10's avatarcps10

Libra

I hope it sets in the East too, since that's where I am too! And I know about the grindstone to be sure.

Weekend is setting up okay I suppose. The kids are going to "Grandma's" tomorrow afternoon so we will have a night on the town...maybe might have to stop into the strip club for some pre-lottery ticket sales celebration! :-)

On second thought...will probably set up camp at my favorite $1 beer watering hole in Center City and watch the NCAAs. You?

Todd's avatarTodd

Do you know where a brother can get a table dance? By the way, I need to pick up some lottery tickets too!    Green laugh

I think you changed the words to the song, although that was probably a good idea.

LOTTOMIKE's avatarLOTTOMIKE

i might could get lucky twice in one day,lol.........

LOTTOMIKE's avatarLOTTOMIKE

imagine a pretty thing coming up to you asking......would you like a 2 for one lap dance or a powerball with the multiplier,lol.

petergrfn

Interesting vendors,  It would be pretty funny to see someone buy the winning Powerball ticket from a strip club and have the press conference there!! Wink            Hey cps10 I used to live near Charlotte in a small town Rock Hill, SC still pass through once in a while.  What are your favorite "watering holes"?  My place was in Matthew's outside Charlotte called Township Grille they had good beer, chicken wings, and best of all great beef on a weck sandwiches!!!

cps10's avatarcps10

Peter

I haven't been there...but I know where you are talking about. I like Vinnie's...they have one on South Blvd and one in Matthews and a few around the lakes. I also enjoy Dixie Tavern, a place called Mac's and Wild Wing out off 485

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story