Powerball lottery jackpot raised to $117 million

Mar 23, 2006, 9:19 am (27 comments)

Powerball

The Powerball jackpot continues to get bigger and bigger, exciting players from all across the nation.

Even though the grand prize was not hit Wednesday evening, 626,984 players won a total of more than $5.2 million in prizes in "America's Game".

Because no one correctly matched all six numbers the jackpot will grow to an estimated $117 million for Saturday night's drawing.

The cash option for the Saturday, March 25th drawing will be an estimated $55.3 million.

The numbers drawn Wednesday were 18, 22, 23, 38, 45 and the Powerball was 31. The Power Play multiplier was 2.

Five lucky players in the states of Kentucky, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Wisconsin correctly matched the 5 white numbers and won $200,000. One player in Oregon not only won at that prize level but also purchased the Power Play and had the $200,000 multiplied by 2 for a total win of $400,000.

Thirty-five players matched 4 white numbers plus the Powerball and won $10,000. 8 additional winners of that prize category also wisely purchased the Power Play option that multiplied their win 2 times for a total of $20,000.

More than 124,000 winning Powerball players multiplied their prize by 2 Wednesday. They were able to do that by purchasing the Power Play option for one dollar. With Power Play you multiply any winnings from 2-5 times, except for the jackpot. At the beginning of each drawing a wheel is spun to select that night's multiplier. For a limited time during the current "Power Play 10X" promotion, all prizes (except the jackpot) can be multiplied up to 10 times for the same $1 Power Play cost.

Players should carefully check their tickets after every draw. Even if there are no jackpot winners there are always tens of thousands of winners at other prize levels.

Players purchased more than $27.3 million in tickets between Sunday and Wednesday night.

The lotteries sold approximately $2 billion in Powerball tickets in FY05. That translates into more than $600 million for worthwhile state projects.

Lottery Post Staff

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

Kidzmom's avatarKidzmom

Keep on rolling over til May 30th!!  when NC Powerball players get their go at it!!!!!!!!!!!Party  I will have the office Powerball pool up and running by then with a signed notorized letter stating the rules of the office pool. At the end of the letter, the last sentence will be  If you don't participate then you are not entitled to share in any of the money won.    Rules of the Game.  I would appreciate some feedback as to what my legal letter should say.

thanks to all for future feedback.  I want to do this right because I don't want to end up in court with a lot of nonsense.

Mr Puntreturn

The Ohio pick 4 is my game of choice.  I really like 5961 before the month ends.

fja's avatarfja

Use the LP Search program and type in the word "Lawsuit"...you'll see where some pools went wrong...

Just6ntlc

As long as the game keeps rolling, then we'll set new records. I'm happy that people are winning, but not the jackpot yet. I hope it rolls and then it reaches the cap when someone wins.

weshar75's avatarweshar75

I am not for building this jackpot I want the $117 million jackpot on saturday.  I only like to build the jackpot when I do not win on my ticket.  I know my ticket will have all of the numbers this saturday and I will win.  Then some else can build the next jackpot.-weshar75

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Keep rollling all the marketing hype as usual. Sleep All just to see someone else but anyone here win anyway also as usual. There is some old dirty floor out there underneath a bed just waiting for the future winning ticket....

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

Thats it! I am on strike from cleaning under my bed! Maybe the dust bunnies will bring the winning ticket in my sleep! Gosh knows I aint picking the right numbers when I'm awake! I predict it will be a midwesterner or western group that wins yet again. I've yet to see my state get the winners like it used too.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Maybe if we ripped our tickets up before the drawing, we would then see that a PA winner had the winning ticket. Or I am sure if I lost my ticket for the first time ever ironically enough I would have been the winner. But like I said, you can't fake stupidity, the lottery can tell the difference. But I have basically had it with the powerball and it's very poor paybacks, or lack there of.

Or: "PA garbage man newest millionaire after finding winning powerball ticket."

libra926

Keep on rolling over til May 30th!!  when NC Powerball players get their go at it!!!!!!!!!!!Party  I will have the office Powerball pool up and running by then with a signed notorized letter stating the rules of the office pool. At the end of the letter, the last sentence will be  If you don't participate then you are not entitled to share in any of the money won.    Rules of the Game.  I would appreciate some feedback as to what my legal letter should say.

thanks to all for future feedback.  I want to do this right because I don't want to end up in court with a lot of nonsense.

HAPPY FRIDAY......3/24

lololool......I'm with you "K"......the agreement can say whatever you and the 'pool players'  decide your rules and regulations should be. And, make sure everyone who says they are members of the 'pool' sign, date it, and put their money where the signatures are...lololololol....

CASH Only

Maybe if we ripped our tickets up before the drawing, we would then see that a PA winner had the winning ticket. Or I am sure if I lost my ticket for the first time ever ironically enough I would have been the winner. But like I said, you can't fake stupidity, the lottery can tell the difference. But I have basically had it with the powerball and it's very poor paybacks, or lack there of.

PB pays out MUCH BETTER with the lower-tier prizes than NY Rotto. Even without PowerPlay.

libra926

I am not for building this jackpot I want the $117 million jackpot on saturday.  I only like to build the jackpot when I do not win on my ticket.  I know my ticket will have all of the numbers this saturday and I will win.  Then some else can build the next jackpot.-weshar75

HAPPY FRIDAY...."WESHAR"

Based on all you've said......when does the 'weshar' kick in????  Or do you only 'weshar' with 'me, myself and I'...................

libra926

Thats it! I am on strike from cleaning under my bed! Maybe the dust bunnies will bring the winning ticket in my sleep! Gosh knows I aint picking the right numbers when I'm awake! I predict it will be a midwesterner or western group that wins yet again. I've yet to see my state get the winners like it used too.

HAPPY FRIDAY.....'GG'

lolololol.....Penn State, wins more often than MD.lolololol...... and 'qp tickets' are a real joke in MD....I keep my personal number series, and add on to it....for both Powerball & M&M.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

PB pays out MUCH BETTER with the lower-tier prizes than NY Rotto. Even without PowerPlay.

Powerball pays out well? My wallet begs to differ. Only time powerball really ever paid off well was when I played 20 tickets all the same powerball, and matched the powerball. Or when I spent $100 and won about $130. But they were RARE cases.

spy153's avatarspy153

dittoBS

LottoLin

I see a lot of you people on this site a lot, maybe you can answer a odd question for me. The Powerball is at 117 Million but the cash payout is only 53.5 million. I thought the cash was a little over half of what the projected jackpot was. If you look at Mega Millions its at 96Million and cash is 56 million. So why is cash more with Mega Millions than Powerball? Maybe I'm better off going to the state line and playing Mega Millions than my own States Powerball. That and WI hasn't had a big winner in forever. Thanks for any answers

Uff Da!'s avatarUff Da!

LottoLin - The annuity for MegaMillions is a standard annuity with equal payments each year over a 26 year period.

http://www.usamega.com/mega-millions-jackpot.htm

Powerball, by contrast, uses a graduated annuity, with lower payments in the early years and larger payments in later years, presumably to help offset inflation.  It is also paid out over a 30 year period instead of 26.   

http://www.usamega.com/powerball-jackpot.htm  (You'll need to click on "annuity payment schedule" under your state to see the graduated payments).

Obviously, the present value of dollars to be received further into the future is not as great as those received sooner.  That's why the cash value is different for similar "jackpot" amounts.

If an insurance company advertised an annuity the way the states do, the attorney general would be after them for false advertising.  But the states can get away with it.  What a shame!

libra926

LottoLin - The annuity for MegaMillions is a standard annuity with equal payments each year over a 26 year period.

http://www.usamega.com/mega-millions-jackpot.htm

Powerball, by contrast, uses a graduated annuity, with lower payments in the early years and larger payments in later years, presumably to help offset inflation.  It is also paid out over a 30 year period instead of 26.   

http://www.usamega.com/powerball-jackpot.htm  (You'll need to click on "annuity payment schedule" under your state to see the graduated payments).

Obviously, the present value of dollars to be received further into the future is not as great as those received sooner.  That's why the cash value is different for similar "jackpot" amounts.

If an insurance company advertised an annuity the way the states do, the attorney general would be after them for false advertising.  But the states can get away with it.  What a shame!

HAPPY SATURDAY "UD"....3/25/2006

Well may I borrow a comment from Sherlock Holmes to Dr. Watson:

"Indeed, You Inspire Me"!!!!

which simply means, that you taught me something, I didn't realize or fully understand.Thinking of...

LottoLin

UF Da! Thank you for the response, I just thought it odd that one gives more out of a pot than the other. Guess I'll take a ride to the state line and see if I can get lucky in IL. Thanks again, I've learned something new today.Hurray!

SassyOhio's avatarSassyOhio

Hey Kids, I to run a powerball pool at my work, have been doing it for about 5 months now! As for feed back I can tell you what I do to make all players comfortable since in all reality there can only be ONE ticket holder. I of course make a copy of all the tickets and give each player a set of their own becuase of different finanial situations I run 2 seperate 5.00 pools  so that if someone's budget only allows them 5.00 a draw and others  10.00 then every one has a chance to play according to their finances. I also have a agreement that I give every drawing that is revised to adjust the players of each pool. ( it is alot to do and change around but hey  MILLIONS is worth it isnt it ) Mine kind of goes like this.

1/01/01  ( ALWAYS CHANGE YOUR DATE ON THE AGREEMENT FOR THTA DAY'S DRAWING)

My name is ____

I am the organizer of the Power Ball pool that is played with _____  employees. Every week I have the pool and play twice a week. I run 2 seperate pools having a 5.00 entry minimum per pool offering for you to play more numbers. ( or what ever you are going to offer them to play)

Each player will receive a copy of all tickets that are played in his/her pool.  I encourage that you play consistantly, past entry to the pools DOES NOT entitle  you to any claim to the winning pool if you did not play for that particular day's drawing.

You have the option as well to maximize you winnings by entering your numbers with the "Power Play" option. This will cause your entry to be $10.00 per pool for it is $1.00 PER number that you play it with. IF YOU DO NOT PLAY THE POWER PLAY  BUT ENTERED THE POOL YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR ANY WINNINGS FROM THE POWER PLAY. 

Drawings are held on Wednesday and Saturday nights @ 10:58 p.m. You can either veiw by television or log onto www.kylottery.com or www.powerball.com to get results to check you copies. Each player MUST have their numbers either picked or choose Auto Pick by then end of the work business day of that day's  drawing. If you would like to pay by the week or by the drawing is left up to each player, but no funds will be excepted after the end of the business day for that day's drawing.

This weeks players are as followed:

Enter Names

This weeks side pool players are followed:

Enter Names

This weeks Power Play players are as followed:

Enter Names

Any winnings that are awarded to either pool will be divided equally between the players in the winning pool. Each player will be responsible for their own arrangments for their taxes for there share.  I play to win an play with faith!! 

And as they always say!!!!!  SOMEONE'S GONNA WIN, WHY NOT US!

Thank You for playing,

Your name

( Then I put my contact Information Name, Phone Number and Email for them to contact me)

I HOPE THIS HELPS TO GIVE YOU SOME IDEAS!!!!!!

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

I see a lot of you people on this site a lot, maybe you can answer a odd question for me. The Powerball is at 117 Million but the cash payout is only 53.5 million. I thought the cash was a little over half of what the projected jackpot was. If you look at Mega Millions its at 96Million and cash is 56 million. So why is cash more with Mega Millions than Powerball? Maybe I'm better off going to the state line and playing Mega Millions than my own States Powerball. That and WI hasn't had a big winner in forever. Thanks for any answers

IIRC, before PB went to the annuity schedule that Uff Da describes the cash  was still a slightly smaller percentage than what MM had. I'm guessing that plenty of people never realized that, just paying attention to the advertised annuity jackpot even if they figured on taking the cash if they won.

Since there was no winner for PB the cash value is once again higher than MM, so if PB is the game in your home state it should be an easy decision if you're going to choose one or the other. If MM rolls again and you haven't bought  PB tickets yet, you might want to consider a bit more than just the cash value before deciding to play MM farther away.

The odds for MM are about 25% steeper than PB, but they're both high enough that it's probably not worth worrying about.  If MM rolls again it will probably have a cash value about $2 to 3 million more than PB, but winning  with a ticket from Illinois almost certainly makes you an Illinois taxpayer. That would take about $2 million, so until the difference is bigger the amount you could put in your pocket won't be substantially different. Then consider that driving costs money, so tickets bought farther away cost you more. How much more depends on how far you drive and how many tickest you buy, but if you use a gallon of gas each way  and buy 5 tickets they've cost you $2 each instead of $1 without even considering the mileage on the car.  I figure it doesn't make sense to spend significantly more for tickets that give you less chance of winning a jackpot that's only a little bit bigger. If the difference in the cash prize isn't substantial I'd just buy a couple more tickets at the store around the corner. YMMV, literally, so it's up to you to decide what makes sense for your location.

Uff Da:  I'll freely admit to a cynical side, but I think you're being far too charitable in thinking the PB annuity payout might have anything to do with offsetting inflation. I figure it's nothing more than a deliberate effort to inflate the amount they advertise. Virtually everyone who wins takes cash, so if the lotteries have any inclination to act in the interest of the players basing their advertising on the cash is the least they could do.

Uff Da!'s avatarUff Da!

KY Floyd said:

Uff Da:  I'll freely admit to a cynical side, but I think you're being far too charitable in thinking the PB annuity payout might have anything to do with offsetting inflation. I figure it's nothing more than a deliberate effort to inflate the amount they advertise. Virtually everyone who wins takes cash, so if the lotteries have any inclination to act in the interest of the players basing their advertising on the cash is the least they could do.

I'm with you on that one!  Note that I said "presumably to help offset inflation."  What they use as their excuse and what the real motivation is are, no doubt, two different things.  But for someone who did take the annuity because they didn't trust themself about managing money long-term, the increase each year built into the annuity payments does equal 4%, which should be a good long-range estimate for annual inflation.  So annual payments should be roughly equal in buying power, one of the problems with traditional fixed annuities. 

But a 30 year annuity - give me a break!  I'd be almost 95 years old before the last payment!  And the family would have to pay estate taxes on the full remaining amount within nine months of death.  I don't know what their rules are about converting remaining annuity payments into cash at that point.

What makes me angry about them advertising the annuity amount instead of the cash value is that most people seem to think that the jackpot amount is the cash the person would actually get.  I discovered a few weeks ago that even the old gal at the Texaco station who has been selling me the tickets for the past couple of years was still under that assumption.  I call it false advertising! 

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Yes I said this before, false advertising on the lotteries behalf as usual. Many do not realize that $100 million actually means about $30 million after all the taxes, and lump sum payout. I wish they wold actually advertise the REAL amounts for both cash, and annuity options. The lottery gets away with murder, because the shady IRS is in on it all.

Yes I said this before, false advertising on the lotteries behalf as usual. Many do not realize that $100 million actually means about $30 million after all the taxes, and lump sum payout. I wish they wold actually advertise the REAL amounts for both cash, and annuity options. The lottery gets away with murder, because the shady IRS is in on it all.

I TOTALLY Agree!!!! I Agree! If you take the cash option  THEY TAX HALF!!!Blue Thinking  THEN Turn around and Tax  almost another Half  saying that its this taxes and that taxes  Ok, SO IF THIS IS THE CASE No wonder were all working our rears off and are still broke all the damn time!  I think that we should only have to pay our state taxes IF ANY on the lottery. When they calculate what players have spent and then get the figure for what the jackpot grows we sure the hell didnt get a tax break on what it cost to play it! I just think that our world is just MONEY HUNGRY no matter what they gotta go do to get it ...  I mean play a dollar and win 30 Mill  Ok NOT a bad turn around but HELLO 100 Mill Jackpot and 30 Mill Pay out  ADD THIS UP FOR ME PLEASEMad

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

I bet the IRS kick back in their cushy chairs and laugh at the players thinking they are actually gonna take that jackpot amount advertised home. It is quite sad what they are doing to people. Everything someone beats a 1 in 150 million odds or whatever, so do they. Not ONCE but every time! I think everyone in the workd should boycott the IRS, not win for life games.

libra926

I bet the IRS kick back in their cushy chairs and laugh at the players thinking they are actually gonna take that jackpot amount advertised home. It is quite sad what they are doing to people. Everything someone beats a 1 in 150 million odds or whatever, so do they. Not ONCE but every time! I think everyone in the workd should boycott the IRS, not win for life games.

Hi Sir......3/28/2006

I am not a fan of the Blood Sucking ' IRS'..but let me share this with you. The 'IRS' is required to follow and implement the Laws and Statutes that our Blood Sucking Congress and Blood Sucking White House tells them to. It's not their personal decision. They don't sit back in cushy chairs throwing darts and daggers at the 'little man'. If we could get our Paid for Representatives in that great Agust Body of 'Hot Air Blowers' to change the Tax Laws, the IRS would be bound to comply with the changes.  Furthermore, by now, all of us who even periodically play the Lotteries and lottos know that our Federal Tax is consistent w/the rules of the Cash LS vsAnnuity payout  and State and Local tax are governed by each State & locality. In Nevada, for example there is no income tax, as there is here in Maryland, therefore, anyone who is a resident of Maryland will have to pay income tax on whatever they win, whereas, in Nevada the residents are free and clear of any income tax...I don't like any tax, income tax or whatever, but that's how our great August Body of 'Hot Air Blowers" set the system up. Therefore, when I see the PB at $$$$100 or 300mil and the M&M at $$$$$$100 or200mil and up....I know that the winner is going to give up at least HALF to old Blood Sucking IRS.........before he gets one dime of it.

libra926

Hey Kids, I to run a powerball pool at my work, have been doing it for about 5 months now! As for feed back I can tell you what I do to make all players comfortable since in all reality there can only be ONE ticket holder. I of course make a copy of all the tickets and give each player a set of their own becuase of different finanial situations I run 2 seperate 5.00 pools  so that if someone's budget only allows them 5.00 a draw and others  10.00 then every one has a chance to play according to their finances. I also have a agreement that I give every drawing that is revised to adjust the players of each pool. ( it is alot to do and change around but hey  MILLIONS is worth it isnt it ) Mine kind of goes like this.

1/01/01  ( ALWAYS CHANGE YOUR DATE ON THE AGREEMENT FOR THTA DAY'S DRAWING)

My name is ____

I am the organizer of the Power Ball pool that is played with _____  employees. Every week I have the pool and play twice a week. I run 2 seperate pools having a 5.00 entry minimum per pool offering for you to play more numbers. ( or what ever you are going to offer them to play)

Each player will receive a copy of all tickets that are played in his/her pool.  I encourage that you play consistantly, past entry to the pools DOES NOT entitle  you to any claim to the winning pool if you did not play for that particular day's drawing.

You have the option as well to maximize you winnings by entering your numbers with the "Power Play" option. This will cause your entry to be $10.00 per pool for it is $1.00 PER number that you play it with. IF YOU DO NOT PLAY THE POWER PLAY  BUT ENTERED THE POOL YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR ANY WINNINGS FROM THE POWER PLAY. 

Drawings are held on Wednesday and Saturday nights @ 10:58 p.m. You can either veiw by television or log onto www.kylottery.com or www.powerball.com to get results to check you copies. Each player MUST have their numbers either picked or choose Auto Pick by then end of the work business day of that day's  drawing. If you would like to pay by the week or by the drawing is left up to each player, but no funds will be excepted after the end of the business day for that day's drawing.

This weeks players are as followed:

Enter Names

This weeks side pool players are followed:

Enter Names

This weeks Power Play players are as followed:

Enter Names

Any winnings that are awarded to either pool will be divided equally between the players in the winning pool. Each player will be responsible for their own arrangments for their taxes for there share.  I play to win an play with faith!! 

And as they always say!!!!!  SOMEONE'S GONNA WIN, WHY NOT US!

Thank You for playing,

Your name

( Then I put my contact Information Name, Phone Number and Email for them to contact me)

I HOPE THIS HELPS TO GIVE YOU SOME IDEAS!!!!!!

Hi Sassy....3/28/2006

May I say, that your Written Agreement for your Office Pool is great....very level and concise. You couldn't have made it any more so.....Anyone, w/???'s after reading this is obviously a morron, and shouldn't bother to play....Good Luck in winning the BIG ONE.......

Lurking

Thanks  Libra!!  I enjoy  the pool and wanted everyone involved comfortable with it so that is what I came up with!  Tonight is the BIG NIGHT !!  Whoot Whoot ... Haha  anyhow no luck in MM last night  were moving on to  tonight!  Good Luck everyone!!Banana

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story