N.C. Lottery prohibits illegal aliens from collecting big prizes

Apr 14, 2006, 1:42 pm (49 comments)

North Carolina Lottery

The estimated 390,000 illegal aliens in North Carolina are welcome to spend money on the state's new lottery, but they may not be allowed to collect.

Lottery officials said state law does not prohibit illegal aliens from collecting a prize, but the lottery's claim policies may effectively bar them from getting the money.

N.C. lottery rules require a winner of $600 or more to claim their prize at a lottery office, showing a photo identification and proof of a Social Security number. If the winner doesn't have a Social Security number, the lottery will accept: a U.S. passport, a foreign passport, an identification card issued by another state, a U.S. armed forces identification card, voter registration card or permanent resident card (green card), which is now pink or white.

Typically, illegal aliens cannot legally obtain a Social Security number.

"If they don't have a green card or foreign passport, they're not going to get anything," said lottery spokeswoman Pam Walker. "Because they're likely to be an illegal alien."

An outright ban on jackpots for illegal aliens would put North Carolina in a small minority. As few as two states, Maryland and North Dakota, restrict prizes to legal residents. Most states' guidelines don't address the issue, while states along the Mexican border make no effort to determine residency. One of California's first big prize winners in 1985 was an illegal alien who won $2 million and was promptly deported back to Mexico.

The issue comes just as the illegal immigration debate is boiling over nationally with protests across the country, a congressional showdown and fellow Republicans criticizing President Bush over his policies.

At the same time, North Carolina's lottery is less than a month old in a state with one of the fastest-growing Hispanic populations. One in every five lottery retailers on opening day last month was in a neighborhood where the adult population was at least 10 percent Hispanic, according to an Observer analysis of lottery and demographic data.

It would be unfair to block illegal immigrants from winning, said Sandra Machuca, owner of La Centroamericana convenience store on South Boulevard in Charlotte. She has been selling about $1,000 worth of scratch-off tickets a week. Her biggest winner won $150.

"None of my clients are American," Machuca said. "Whoever wins has a right to the prize. That's why they buy the ticket."

State Controller Robert Powell, who oversees the state's cash flow and accounting, said lottery officials should address the issue.

"If you're here illegally, then there should be at least a legal determination as to whether you should receive the funds," Powell said. "If you're not here in this country legally, I don't know whether you should be eligible to receive lottery winnings."

Powell said he is not proposing a rule one way or the other.

"I'm just saying it ought to be discussed and answered," he said.

Walker said a winner who has no Social Security number but does have required identification will still get paid but at the higher, nonresident tax withholding rate, 30 percent instead of 25 percent.

"Our policy on this mirrors many other states' and there is no intent to prohibit any person from claiming a prize," Walker said. "They simply must have the required identification."

'It's easy to get around the law'

A bill in the S.C. legislature would limit winners to legal residents, but that legislation is stalled in committee. Lottery Director Ernie Passailaigue said winners must give a Social Security number, which effectively bars illegal aliens, but all they need is a friend."It's easy to get around the law," he said. "Just give (the winning ticket) to somebody who has a Social Security number."

Several state lottery Web sites carry warnings about a current lottery scam in which someone claiming to be an illegal immigrant sells a winning ticket for less than its value to avoid the spotlight of claiming the prize. The ticket, of course, is fake, but the fear of scrutiny is not.

Jose Caballero was an illegal alien delivering furniture in San Jose, Calif., when he won the California lottery in 1985. Federal authorities returned him to Mexico after reading news accounts, but he kept his prize.

North Dakota's lottery instituted a policy on April 1 prohibiting illegal aliens from buying tickets or collecting prizes, though director Chuck Keller acknowledged it is impossible to ban the ticket buying and claiming of small prizes.

"As a matter of public policy," Keller said, "an illegal alien should not have the privilege of buying a state service ... nor be able to win a prize."

Education or enforcement?

Nolo Martinez, a former governor's adviser in North Carolina on Latino affairs, said such policies criminalize people who would be paying taxes and want nothing more than to live outside the shadows.

"We're creating a mentality of a police state by suggesting that we're going to bring in immigration enforcement to a game that was designed to benefit education," said Martinez, now with the Center for New North Carolinians at UNC Greensboro.

The Texas lottery is among several southern border states that make no effort to screen for illegal aliens, some of whom likely have won a jackpot at some point, said spokeswoman Leticia Vasquez.

"We're pretty sure that they have," Vasquez said, "but we don't ask them to present any documentation to certify that they're in this country legally. We just ask for photo ID."

Charlotte Observer

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

RJOh's avatarRJOh

"As few as two states, Maryland and North Dakota, restrict prizes to legal residents."

I wonder if they post that where lottery tickets are sold so visitors to their states will know if they play and win big they can't collect.

BevsPicks's avatarBevsPicks

Good.

DoubleDown

I'm gonna place an ad in the NC Hispanic newspaper that I will happily cash their winning JP tickets, for a nominal fee.... Big Grin

DD

Littleoldlady's avatarLittleoldlady

I think that is the saddest thing I have ever heard of.  The "illegal aliens" are getting the shaft from every direction.  Kind of reminds me  of the struggle that blacks had to gain equal status..this country is so damn racist..!!!!

orangeman

The illegal aliens are breaking the law.  Most states deduct child support and outstanding fines from lottery winnings.  Why not penalize these law breakers?  Makes sense to me.  I would feel the same way about an illegal Irishman.  Either respect the law or change it.  The law is not a cafeteria where you pick and choose the statutes you agree with.

Orangeman                                            Boxing

Korean Redneck

I SAY JUST KILL ALL THE ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS. 

THEY'RE CALLED "ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS" FOR A REASON. 

They should wait in line just like everybody else to enter the USA. 

DoubleDown

There's nothing racist about it. They are illegal. Period. End of story.

SassyOhio's avatarSassyOhio

WOW, I am not a racist person at all!! BYYY FAR But I do agree. My thought and question is this Have you all askd yourselves... Since they dont HAVE to pay taxes for what is it? the 1st 7 years? That may be a reason that they are doing this too I know that there is nothing more that pisses me off then a Alien coming over with no residency no ins and on a student visa that can borrower thousands of dollars in educational funds and then collect welfare benefits and still live tax free and were the us cit. and they take HALF of the money that WE RESIDENTS put in to make that 200 mill jackpot but we only get 60 mill Jacked up I tell ya!!!!!

NCPicks

Since the law requires photo ID and SS numbers for prizes over $600 look for these folks to concentrate on the Pick 3 once it gets started.

gy65

Wonder if an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number would be acceptable?

vulcanclassic15's avatarvulcanclassic15

They come for the "American Dream", but do not want to pay taxes? That is 25% + of are dream. No state should pay out any prize to illegal aliens, and American citizens should not half to pay tax on prizes won on a state lotto.

angelman's avatarangelman

I think that all those people (?) should be sent back to wherever they came from. They are not supposed to be here if they are illegal. Send their sorry butts back. Get rid of all of them.

Prob988

Most of the comments disgust me.

All I can say is that if many of you had your dreams come true and kicked people out and/or killed them or whatever, you would have real economic problems.  These people keep your Walmarts running.  You may not understand that, but it is indeed the case.

These people don't come here because they are useless or lazy.  They come because they are poor and because they have no hope if they stay home.  Most of you benefit by their labors in ways you simply choose not to see, mostly because the modern American habit is to tell ourselves pleasant lies.   These people suffer degradation on an unbelievable nature, not only at home, but in the places they live.

You are all very smug.  But you don't realize, perhaps, that you live in the world's largest debtor nation, that you are rapidly decending into third world status yourselves, your resources squandered (as is often the case in the third world) in an orgy of corruption, excess, delusion and illusion.  You can't even grasp the surface of how easily and how obviously you are being manipulated and how much risk you face.  You think you live in the world's richest nation, but actually you live in the world's poorest nation.  The time may come when Mexico is closing the border, to keep you out.

May God have mercy on you when you realize what is coming. 

LOTTOMIKE's avatarLOTTOMIKE

I'm gonna place an ad in the NC Hispanic newspaper that I will happily cash their winning JP tickets, for a nominal fee.... Big Grin

DD

i agree.we could charge a percentage and we'll all make good,lol.

i think most of these immigrants are worried about more pressing concerns instead of lottery tickets......

Tenaj's avatarTenaj

I think that all those people (?) should be sent back to wherever they came from. They are not supposed to be here if they are illegal. Send their sorry butts back. Get rid of all of them.

Unhappy Ignorance abounds! 

Tenaj's avatarTenaj

I SAY JUST KILL ALL THE ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS. 

THEY'RE CALLED "ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS" FOR A REASON. 

They should wait in line just like everybody else to enter the USA. 

Disapprove

dvdiva's avatardvdiva

I think that is the saddest thing I have ever heard of.  The "illegal aliens" are getting the shaft from every direction.  Kind of reminds me  of the struggle that blacks had to gain equal status..this country is so damn racist..!!!!

No legal aliens are getting the shaft. They pay thousands of dollars and go through many hardships only to be told basically they were idiots for spending a dime and should have come here illegally instead by morons supporting people breaking immigration laws. Not all Mexicans are here illegally but when 1+ million a year break the law to get here it's a big problem. The biggest problem is the gutting of the blue collar class in the US and depression of wages illegal immigration causes.

I think a lot of the anger going on now is from a government that refuses to enforce the law. I have been in traffic court a few times and each time witness illegals whom have no car insurance and no driving licence get out of paying for damages they caused. People are just getting sick of the total lack of accoutability. The best way to stop it is to have prison terms for any who hire illegal immigrants. Since such employers aren't paying SS or medicare/medicaid tax not to mention income tax withholdings the IRS could do this now.

On the lottery I think they should be able to collect and then get kicked out for 10 years as the law states. 

jeffrey's avatarjeffrey

I live in an area where the largest population growth has been the hispanic community. I have worked as a computer programmer, mechanical engineer and a draftsman. I have lost my position to outsourcing to foreign countries 5 times. Each time I was unemployed, I depended on a lower paying job until I could find something new.  Now, there are very few jobs available and the pay is terrible for those that exist. Without jobs and constant outsourcing the middle class position is precarious.

We can't prevent illegal immigration and it would be foolish to try.  I'm afraid we must adjust to a 2 class society. Therefore, it is discrimination to not give away lottery money to a foreigner; be they British, French, Chinese, Hispanic, etc.

dvdiva's avatardvdiva

It's only a two class system if we vote for people who put us there.

emilyg's avataremilyg

absolutely no comparison between the two.

orangeman

I have a solution to the illegal alien issue, but it freaks people out.  When we catch one, we put a computer chip in them and return them to Mexico.  If they are caught again, we put them on a work gang building a 20-foot high wall between the U.S. and Mexico.  We can track those chips by satellite.  If they want a job, I'll give them one. 

We have a right to protect U.S. territory.  How we bought it or stole it is not the issue.  It is our nation and we are obligated to protect it.  If you don't like this or think protecting our nation is racist, go back to Mexico with your new amigos. 

This is not ignorance.  Refusing to defend American territory when it is invaded by people who don't want to be Americans is ignorance.  Wait!  That isn't really ignorance, it is treason . . .

Orangeman                                            US Flag 

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

What is bad is that they will not widely advertise that fact that illegal immigrants cannot collect the huge lottery prizes should they win. That fact is hidden away in the fine line that nobody cares to read leave alone a non english speaking immigrant, but you know what "jah shall come so real and right" as the group "Israel vibrations" sang in their song "real and right." Jah cannot be defeated with voilence, Jah will protect his children

Tenaj's avatarTenaj

I have a solution to the illegal alien issue, but it freaks people out.  When we catch one, we put a computer chip in them and return them to Mexico.  If they are caught again, we put them on a work gang building a 20-foot high wall between the U.S. and Mexico.  We can track those chips by satellite.  If they want a job, I'll give them one. 

We have a right to protect U.S. territory.  How we bought it or stole it is not the issue.  It is our nation and we are obligated to protect it.  If you don't like this or think protecting our nation is racist, go back to Mexico with your new amigos. 

This is not ignorance.  Refusing to defend American territory when it is invaded by people who don't want to be Americans is ignorance.  Wait!  That isn't really ignorance, it is treason . . .

SmashI didn't say it was ignorance to protect our borders and our country.  I said it was ignorance to say kill them, and all the other ignorances uttered against a group of people that you know nothing about. 

Regardless of what the problems are, they are still human beings and don't deserve the ugly things people say about them.  And everybody who speak Spanish aren't  Mexicans.  How ignorant is that?

Ya'll act like you would like to hang them from the nearest tree.  I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of people won't just do that.  I'm sure our elected officials will attempt to do what is necessary to solve the problems.

If you want to hate somebody, direct it at the government for being slack and greedy employers and all of the other people who profit from it.  Yes I agree, prosecute the employers, but if you did that you would have to prosecute some elected officials as well.

But cut out the hatred, it borders on bigotry.

vulcanclassic15's avatarvulcanclassic15

A illegal alien ran into my house with a car about 2 years ago, no drivers license, no insurance, the cop let him walk away with no fine! My home insurance would not pay for it because of the uninsured motorist was responsible for damages, it cost me about $12,000.00 (out of my pocket) to have everything fixed, I had just been unemployed 2 months before because my shop closed and moved over sea's. About 1 month after he hit my home he was on the run from police for shooting someone in the leg.

Do I think they should be able to collect a prize - H#ll no!!!!!! I do not have a problem with anyone coming to America, just come legally, obey the laws, pay twice the amount of taxes the rest of do, and if you win, send your check to me to pay for the damage your inbreed brother did to my house!!!!

Korean Redneck

BobP's avatarBobP

The problem would take care of itself if our so called government would make it a serious crime to hire, house, employ, school, etc. illegal aliens (without causing discrimation for legal immigrants) and stop the nonsense where children born here to illegal alien parents automatically become U.S. citizens, even Canada ended that policy.  Oh, and give one time free transportation to back home.

Lottery tickets are bearer instruments, anyone should be able to cash one if they have a winning ticket.  Taxes and how much you get can vary, but even criminals should be able to collect what's left after making restitution.

BobP

orangeman

Tenaj, bless your liberal pea-pickin heart.  You do mean well.  So did Nevile Chamberlain at the Munich conference in 1938. I don't hate Mexicans as people.  I just want them on their side of the Rio Grande where they can speak Spanish and mess up their country to their heart's content.  That isn't racist.  That is good common sense.  You are free to visit your new amigos any time you want.  On the south side of the Rio Grande.

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

I'm friendly with my Mexican neighbors who work hard and have close family ties. I think they are all here legally, but as long as they take care of their own business, I mind mine. My main complaint is that many people here don't speak any English.  Often ads for employment state "prefer bilingual" which is frustrating. I also find it offensive that foreign flags were waved on Monday while our troops were dying in Iraq. Some people in defense have compared it to the Irish flag being displayed on Saint Patrick's Day, but that's entirely different since that wasn't in protest, it was in celebration the same way on Cinco de Mayo nobody has a problem seeing the Mexican flag waved in good fun.

Regarding the lottery, I don't know why being legal or illegal has anything to do with it as long as the maximum tax is deducted.

Korean Redneck

PRESS 1 FOR ENGLISH

SCREW PRESS 2 FOR ESPANOL!!

i'll throw my hat in the ring.......

this is america.the greatest country in the world.these people need to apply for citizenship period.illegal is illegal.it doesn't matter if your brown,purple or blue.looks like our country is falling behind because we admit people to college because they are a certain color and the smart kid gets passed over because some college has to meet a quota.or a certain police department hires the "blue man" because they already have plenty of "yellow men" so there you go again.a good yellow man gets passed over for the job he wants real bad because they need a "blue man" or they'll be sued for discrimination.we are getting too politically correct.we are getting to where we sue people way too much over nothing.everything is always about somebody not getting something because of color.most of the music these days glorifies murder,rape,drugs and degrading women.we have got serious problems WITHIN.other countries are watching us and shaking their heads.i just hope we can get things on the right track because right now things aren't looking good.people losing jobs because of companies moving overseas because workers will do cheaper labor.pretty soon we won't have anything left but confusion and dispair.its not too late for us to work out our problems.we are the greatest nation on earth.everyone needs to learn the language if you want to live here.this IS america.i think anyone who wants to live on this precious soil should have to prove themselves worthy before being granted the right to live here!!!

anniep2

It's about time NC did something intelligent regarding "illegals". I think the key word here is "illegal" ! ! ! ! ! ! Legal, have your papers, etc., no problem. I have a kind heart too, and am certainly not a racist, but illegal is illegal! If I were selling drugs on the street, would I complain because I was arrested? No, because it's

i l l e g a l. I'm glad to hear it! The illegals have taken enough of our money and jobs here in NC. I'm glad they can't have our lottery winnings, too.

DoubleDown

Wow, this thing is getting some serious air-time as I suspected it would...

Illegal is the story here.

Period, end of story.

anonymous77's avataranonymous77

It seems to me that, as far as I am concerned about the ways to express one's position on the issue here, there are largely two different types of posts: one is more of "logical" and the other "emotional".

four4me

In the last year or so I've seen so many fake drivers licenses, id cards, and other related documents it's pathetic. I've even see vehicle tags that are fake, the tags look like the real deal but have flat surface. the background is colored to look like raised letters.

There's no telling how many of these fake documents are in the overall population. Kinda scary if you think about it.

One of the TV stations did a survey of this and said more than 3/4 or more of the immigrants working on jobs have either no identification or false identification.

I don't have a problem with anyone playing the lottery but by all means they should have proper identification to collect.

konane's avatarkonane

I Agree!    It's only short sighted pandering of politicians which permits the comparison.  Blacks were legal citizens. 

Illegal aliens are here against the law and are simply making noise in any direction that might generate sympathy for someone to take up their cause.  They're breaking US law by being here.

Were they here legally and had a grievance public opinion might be more sympathetic. 

emilyg's avataremilyg

I Agree!    It's only short sighted pandering of politicians which permits the comparison.  Blacks were legal citizens. 

Illegal aliens are here against the law and are simply making noise in any direction that might generate sympathy for someone to take up their cause.  They're breaking US law by being here.

Were they here legally and had a grievance public opinion might be more sympathetic. 

I Agree!

Tenaj's avatarTenaj

I Agree!

Yes NodWhat I think Littleoldlady means is that since the illegal issues, Hispanics, especially Mexicans, have been getting the same cruel words and the like from people who may have been racist anyway and find it OK to show it now.  It's like Ok everybody if you don't like Mexicans, now is the time to get your punch in.  That's what I meant when I said it borders on bigotry.   

They are many people who think illegals should not be in this country, I for one, and are not racists but I would wager that the ones who say real mean things are and now is the opportune time to show it.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

People get mad whenever someone besides themselves wins a big lottery prizes even if they are a citizen of their state, that the reason people claim their winnings anonymously when possible.

konane's avatarkonane

I Agree!

Yes NodWhat I think Littleoldlady means is that since the illegal issues, Hispanics, especially Mexicans, have been getting the same cruel words and the like from people who may have been racist anyway and find it OK to show it now.  It's like Ok everybody if you don't like Mexicans, now is the time to get your punch in.  That's what I meant when I said it borders on bigotry.   

They are many people who think illegals should not be in this country, I for one, and are not racists but I would wager that the ones who say real mean things are and now is the opportune time to show it.

Point well taken.  It's up to us to contact legislators and insist they take care of the issue through laws .... instead of foisting all sorts of bigoted pronunciations in their direction which serve nothing except to further hatred and negativity, which often turns the tide in a direction you don't want it to go.

four4me

It's about legality and not having the correct documents. This is one of the only countries where people can get into without showing identification. People are pouring into this country from all over the place illegally I'm sure there are countries where you can walk across borders illegally but at what cost. Deportation, jail time, death sentence many of our illegal's are getting perks they couldn't get in their own countries and the taxpayers of our country are paying for it. And all the while the have absolutely no business being here if they didn't enter the country with the proper identification. There are about a dozen reasons people shouldn't be allowed into the US without papers including underling health issues. Ties to terrorism etc.

If I walk onto a job site and say I want to work I have to show them my papers pass a physical produce documents that show who I am and where I live. Many of the illegal's are placed on jobs with none of the above.

Show me another country you can enter and stay without documents cohabit with its residents join the work force buy a house, etc., = NONE!

Like i said i have no problem with anyone buying lottery tickets or cashing them as long as they have some kind of legal identification

"Show me another country you can enter and stay without documents cohabit with its residents join the work force buy a house, etc., = NONE!" four4me

I applied for a job at a mortgage company a few weeks ago. The owner was showing me how he processes a loan to see how quickly I'd catch on. When he got off the phone he made a comment that "the only problem with this applicant is he doesn't have a Green Card and I'm trying to get him a good rate."  When I reacted by asking "How is that possible?" his answer was "Who do you think owns half the homes in Lehigh Acres?" I know there is a very large Latino population in Southwest Florida, but I never imagined many of them aren't only here illegally, but are able to purchase homes. This was a $350,000 house. So where was that $2,500 a month mortgage payment coming from?  I know people from Europe buy property here all the time, but it just didn't occur to me that the loans would be from American lending institutions.  I guess I'm in the dark about how that can work. Just some food for thought.

gy65

"I guess I'm in the dark about how that can work."

The Mortgage Fraud Blog
NCPicks

The people selling out your job may be your employer.

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/us/immigration

"I guess I'm in the dark about how that can work."

The Mortgage Fraud Blog

Thanks for the link. I had been aware of some fraudulent activity in the area from reading the paper, but didn't realize it was this widespread. I think the man I mentioned was trying to get him a loan legally. That being said, how would I know? One of the counties listed on this blog is Lee, which is where I live.

tinygirl58's avatartinygirl58

It is true the illegal aliens are costing all of american's money. We have to pick up the tab for them living here. And they  getting all of the perks. You need to call your Congress members and let them know how you feel. Frosty Wooldridge has a site with lots of info on immigration.

tg636

Obviously now that all the illegal immigrants know this they will find a trusted friend or relative who is legal to cash it in and they will split the pot with them, so this won't accomplish much. The funny thing is if someone won $8 million dollars, he would be the type of wealthy, sell-supporting immigrant the US and other countries are seeking. 

CASH Only

ANYBODY who is old enough to play should be allowed to win. Plain and simple.

chuck32

Ummm.  Is this a lottery site? 

What about a foreign visitor who plays and wins, but doesn't have a U.S. SSN?  Guess they can't win either.

Not having a U.S. SSN is not really an issue.  There are other ways to collect taxes without an SSN.  Suggesting that an illegal alien cannot collect because of the lack of a SSN is not really the case.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story