Sales for new Texas Lotto starts today

Apr 23, 2006, 9:36 am (16 comments)

Texas Lottery

Texas lottery players are saying buh-bye to the bonus ball.

Last night's $32 million jackpot Lotto Texas drawing was the last for the much-loathed little guy, who proved unpopular with players.

The Texas Lottery Commission voted Feb. 27 to scratch the unpopular bonus ball and return to better sales and better odds.

Lotto Texas will return to a matrix that was abandoned three years ago in which players may choose six numbers from among 54, with odds of winning the jackpot at 1 in 25.8 million.

In the final drawing with the bonus ball, there were no tickets matching all five numbers plus the bonus ball, so the first jackpot for the new Pick 6-style game will be $33 million.

Under the bonus ball matrix, which had been in play since May 2003, players chose five numbers from 1 to 44 and one bonus ball from 1 to 44, almost doubling the jackpot odds to 1 in 47.8 million.

"People roundly dislike the bonus ball feature, the extra number you have to choose," Lottery Commission spokeswoman Leticia Vasquez said in February.

The bonus ball was added to help create mega-jackpots and, lottery officials hoped at the time, boost sales, but the opposite happened.

Sales for the revived Lotto Texas game began at 6 a.m. this morning.

The first drawing with the revived play style will be Wednesday, April 26, at 10:12 p.m., after the Pick Three and Cash Five drawings.

New Rules

Starting today, these are the rules for Lotto Texas:

Lottery Post Staff

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

bobby623's avatarbobby623

Another sad chapter in the history of the Texas lottery begins.

TLC officials apparently believe that lottery gamblers will stand in line to buy chances in a lottery where matching 5 of 6 numbers pays $2,000, or less, and $50, or less, for matching 4 of 6 numbers.

Boy, are they in a rude awakening. Given the odds of winning a jackpot, most players, myself included, think more about winning a secondary prize. In this instance, players would have a better chance of winning something with scratch off tickets.

Be interesting to hear their justification when this game flops, just like all the other games the TLC has joined or come up with.

One thing different about this game is that the TLC was very careful to not make any profit forecasts, like they did when past games were introduced. All lotteries make money by default, and this game will make money, but I doubt that they will recover the 30 percent they lost with the bonus ball game.

I just wonder how long it will take for TLC officials to admit defeat and start looking for a replacement game.

Bradly_60's avatarBradly_60

Those smaller prizes are horrible.

$3, $50, $2000.  They really want to get that jackpot higher and quicker.  By giving very crappy prizes they should be able to give lots to the jackpot fund which I think they said they were going to do anyway.  But anyway those prizes are even riduculous.

Michigan has a 6 of 47 game.  The odds are only 1 in 10 million. Here is our payout structure and it is fixed.

$5, $100, $2500. With overall odds of winning 1 in 47.

The TLC might of listened to the players about removing the bonus ball but they failed at making the game better for their players.

Brad

Todd's avatarTodd

Actually, the prize amounts are very similar to Pick 6 games in other states using a similar matrix.  For example, they are very similar to New Jersey, and they are much better than New York, which is actually much harder to win.

Dawn Nettles is complaining about the new payouts, saying that they are different than the old Pick 6-style game.

CASH Only

Another sad chapter in the history of the Texas lottery begins.

TLC officials apparently believe that lottery gamblers will stand in line to buy chances in a lottery where matching 5 of 6 numbers pays $2,000, or less, and $50, or less, for matching 4 of 6 numbers.

Boy, are they in a rude awakening. Given the odds of winning a jackpot, most players, myself included, think more about winning a secondary prize. In this instance, players would have a better chance of winning something with scratch off tickets.

Be interesting to hear their justification when this game flops, just like all the other games the TLC has joined or come up with.

One thing different about this game is that the TLC was very careful to not make any profit forecasts, like they did when past games were introduced. All lotteries make money by default, and this game will make money, but I doubt that they will recover the 30 percent they lost with the bonus ball game.

I just wonder how long it will take for TLC officials to admit defeat and start looking for a replacement game.

You think the lower-tier prizes for the new Lotto Texas are bad? Go to www.nylottery.org and check out the payoffs for NY Rotto, which has "slightly better" jackpot odds.

JimmySand9

Still no changes to the website to herald, or even suggest, the newish setup. Let compare the setups of the 1st and second Lotto Texases to the 4th one that started to today.

Matrix
6/50
6/54 (old)
6/54 (new)
Match 6 Payout
JACKPOT
JACKPOT
JACKPOT
Avg. Match 5 Payout
$1,500
$2,500
$2,000
Avg. Match 4 Payout
$100
$100
$50
Guaranteed Match 3
$3
$5
$3
Overall Payout
50%
55%
50%

Compare and judge for yourself.

Todd's avatarTodd

Still no changes to the website to herald, or even suggest, the newish setup. Let compare the setups of the 1st and second Lotto Texases to the 4th one that started to today.

Matrix
6/50
6/54 (old)
6/54 (new)
Match 6 Payout
JACKPOT
JACKPOT
JACKPOT
Avg. Match 5 Payout
$1,500
$2,500
$2,000
Avg. Match 4 Payout
$100
$100
$50
Guaranteed Match 3
$3
$5
$3
Overall Payout
50%
55%
50%

JS9:

I found that to be very strange myself -- new news or anything.  Really strange, to say the least.

orangeman

We have to remember that the Texas Lottery Commission or TLC doesn't mean Tender Loving Care.  It is more like Texas Losing Club.

Orangeman                    Jester Laugh

Trained2beRich's avatarTrained2beRich

howsabout TEXAS LOW COMMISION?

Just6ntlc

I'm glad that Texas Lotto eliminated the Bonus Ball. I hope their sales go back up in this game, but don't expect sales to skyrocket in the past. In fact, when Texas Lotto had the bonus ball, their sales not only tanked, but their Pick 3 game outsaled that game.

SassyOhio's avatarSassyOhio

Doesnt make any sense to me,I guess it comes down to your thought process for  each person of how they look at it. I for one would rather take the chance of matching all 5 balls and hit the 250,000 with the ball in the game. Yes its harder to get the ball number correct and hit getting the full jackpot ... but my process of thinking is if your numbers are going to match then they just are! Why cut yourself short.......to make chances better for a whole jackpot? NOt here  just sounds crazy to me or is my thought process just jacked LOL?

CASH Only

Matrix
6/50
6/54 (old)
6/54 (new)
Match 6 Payout
JACKPOT
JACKPOT
JACKPOT
Avg. Match 5 Payout
$1,500
$2,500
$2,000
Avg. Match 4 Payout
$100
$100
$50
Guaranteed Match 3
$3
$5
$3
Overall Payout
50%
55%
50%

Texases? I didn't know you could make a plural of a state LOL

Trained2beRich's avatarTrained2beRich

I understand what you mean SassyOhio.  Even if u dont get the big jackpot the 2nd tier prize is substantial, but many fellow Texans believe that winning a lot of little prizes brings them closer to winning the big prize psychologically and may encourage them to put their winnings back into the game because they feel "lucky".  Heck I feel like that most people like my natural Pepsodent smile(I have a neighbor who always compliments me on my smile, Now if I can smile my way to the Jackpot...that would be fabagacious)

atl1

Anyone know the cash value on the 33 mil jackpot, figure i try my luck. Just wonderin how much i could win

SassyOhio's avatarSassyOhio

Anyone know the cash value on the 33 mil jackpot, figure i try my luck. Just wonderin how much i could win

depends on what state your in LMAO WELCOME TO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF LOTTO  Here is a link for you to look up MM and PB PAYOUT  not what they advertise but per state per game what you would get

MM  is  http://www.usamega.com/mega-millions-jackpot.htm

PB is  http://www.usamega.com/powerball-jackpot.htm

There is alot of other stuff there that ya can check out as well ;)

anonymous77's avataranonymous77

Lotto Texas annuity jackpot is paid as "25" annual installments, as indicated in TX lottery website. I just tried to estimate the cash value of $36M Lotto TX annuity jackpot for 4/29 drawing, tonight.

Assuming that Texas Lottery and Mega Millions have the same rate of return on their investment of cash jackpot, I could get the estimated cash option value of $21 million. In that case, the cash value ratio of Lotto Texas jackpot would be equal to 58%, while the cash value ratio of MM is 56%.

That's just my estimate. Good luck!

CASH Only

Lotto Texas annuity jackpot is paid as "25" annual installments, as indicated in TX lottery website. I just tried to estimate the cash value of $36M Lotto TX annuity jackpot for 4/29 drawing, tonight.

Assuming that Texas Lottery and Mega Millions have the same rate of return on their investment of cash jackpot, I could get the estimated cash option value of $21 million. In that case, the cash value ratio of Lotto Texas jackpot would be equal to 58%, while the cash value ratio of MM is 56%.

That's just my estimate. Good luck!

Ohio's Lot O'Play is paid in 26 equal payments, same as MM, but the cash value is fixed at 50%, making LOP a raw deal for cash option winners.

NY Rotto is 26 increasing annual payments, using the same formula as California Super Lotto Plus.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story