Powerball not hurting N.C. lottery sales

Jun 26, 2006, 12:31 pm (19 comments)

North Carolina Lottery

People have been playing North Carolina's lottery for a few months now, and even though Powerball is less than a month old, the game has paid out more than $2 million to residents so far.

Retailers saw a jump in sales last Saturday when the jackpot was worth more than $100 million.

Emma, 4, won $1 for her dad on Father's Day, that's why she's his good luck charm.

"My daughter, she wins almost every time she plays," said her dad, Michael Zylka. "She plays the Tic-Tac-Toes, and she loves to play."

Zylka plays scratch-off games every other week, but he has yet to play Powerball. He will play for the right price, which for him, is $80 million.

One Fayetteville store says more people will buy Powerball tickets when the jackpot gets bigger. But right now, the main draw for most folks is still the scratch-off tickets.

"We still have a lot more sales with the scratch-offs than with Powerball, but that's just because people don't understand yet," said Jennifer Bompus, a lottery retailer. "Once everybody gets the concept and the hang of it, it'll be a lot better."

Compared to the 30 other Powerball states/jurisdictions, North Carolina is already doing well in terms of sales.

"People are very excited about Powerball in this state, and it's obvious by how much they're playing," said Tom Shaheen, North Carolina Education Lottery Director. "We're outselling all the other states at this time, and we hope to keep that trend going."

More people may jump on the Powerball wagon as the jackpot starts climbing again, but for some, it's still about the instant win.

"Emma won $25 on a $1 ticket, and then she went to Toys R Us and bought herself a baby doll with it," Zylka added.

Because someone in Oklahoma won the jackpot a week ago, those holding out for the big payoff will have to start from scratch.

Retailers say they see more people buy Powerball tickets on Wednesdays and Saturdays, which is when the drawings are held. The odds of winning the jackpot are one in 146 million, according to USA Mega.

News 14 Carolina

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

bellyache's avatarbellyache

"We still have a lot more sales with the scratch-offs than with Powerball, but that's just because people don't understand yet," said Jennifer Bompus, a lottery retailer. "Once everybody gets the concept and the hang of it, it'll be a lot better."

I'm sure one day, Powerball will be making them more sales then scratch-off tickets.

wizeguy's avatarwizeguy

Cool, usamega got a plug in the article. Congrats Todd and staff! Thumbs Up

DoubleDown

Emma, 4, won $1 for her dad on Father's Day, that's why she's his good luck charm.

"My daughter, she wins almost every time she plays," said her dad, Michael Zylka. "She plays the Tic-Tac-Toes, and she loves to play."

Emma won $25 on a $1 ticket, and then she went to Toys R Us and bought herself a baby doll with it," Zylka added.

Yeah, let's start em out while they are still  young 'uns  in NC... 

I thought there was an age restriction on the games : geezzzz....

DD

Tnplayer805's avatarTnplayer805

When I was younger my parents used their money to buy me scratch offs. You have to be 18 to play but...  In some states you can buy tickets for minors as "GIFTS" not sure what NC's rules are though.

DoubleDown

When I was younger my parents used their money to buy me scratch offs. You have to be 18 to play but...  In some states you can buy tickets for minors as "GIFTS" not sure what NC's rules are though.

It was a tongue in cheek comment, Tnplayer805..

I know that kids watch their parents scratch tickets and want to join the fun.

Just wait until one of the teenagers gets mama or daddy to buy them some tickets and they hit the Million Dollar jackpot !

I can hear it now:

Junior: I won the money....I am gettin me a new trailer and a 4 wheeler !!

Daddy : I bought the ticket fer ya, I'm gettin me a new pickup truck and a boat.

Mama: I don't care what yall do as long as I can get me a boob job and liposuction. Oh, and a carton of cigarettes.....

Jerry...Jerry...Jerry !!!

thinreality's avatarthinreality

Maybe it's just my quirk, but I'd much rather play Powerball than buy scratch-off tickets.  When NC passed the lottery, I played scratch-offs before powerball started up, but now that I get to play the numbers, I don't buy scratch-offs at all.

As for the people who buy more scratch-offs than powerball tickets--GREAT!  Less competition for the big money. LOL

Rip Snorter

The money from the scratchers, at least, remains in NC.

50 cents of every dollar spent on a PB ticket goes somewhere else.

A pittance will return to the state in wins, no doubt.

But NC's on a track.  Won't be long before a major part of the money spent there is PB and an already poor state will get to syphon off a lot of money to where ever money spent on PB tickets goes every roll.

NCPicks

But NC's on a track.  Won't be long before a major part of the money spent there is PB and an already poor state will get to syphon off a lot of money to where ever money spent on PB tickets goes every roll.

Where did you get the idea that "50 cents of every dollar spent on Powerball goes somewhere else?"

" All proceeds from the sale of Powerball tickets except for a states's share of the jackpot,remains in the state where the tickets were sold.Each states share of the jackpot is based on the percentage of the sales for each drawing."

oscar1234

why does the north carolina lottery close down at 10 pm and some of the other states don't close down until about 1045, 

one guy told me that sc closes at 930 pm    why?

Rip Snorter

Where did you get the idea that "50 cents of every dollar spent on Powerball goes somewhere else?"

" All proceeds from the sale of Powerball tickets except for a states's share of the jackpot,remains in the state where the tickets were sold.Each states share of the jackpot is based on the percentage of the sales for each drawing."

If you'll provide a link to the place that information is provided maybe I can go thare and read it through.  As it stands, I'm not making any sense of what you're saying.

Half the ticket sales money, if I understand it correctly, goes to the state government.  The other half (also as I understand it) goes to Powerball, MUSL, someone somewhere.

If that's incorrect, I appreciate you correcting me.  However, I'd prefer to see myself corrected from a quasi-official source, as opposed to some LP member whom I know nothing about.

J

NCPicks

As it stands,NC pays a percent of their Powerball sales to the MUSL to cover their portion of the jackpot.For example if NC sold 8% of all the Powerball tickets for a drawing(out of the 31 members) they would contribute that percent of the jackpot.The rest of the money stays in the state to pay in state winners.The money left over goes to NC programs(50 percent) .

No need to worry about any quasi-official sources,do your own research into this matter.You could start by READING supplied information on the NC lottery website.If you need help finding a link to there I'm sure you can find one from here.Good luck with your discovery.  

Rip Snorter

As it stands,NC pays a percent of their Powerball sales to the MUSL to cover their portion of the jackpot.For example if NC sold 8% of all the Powerball tickets for a drawing(out of the 31 members) they would contribute that percent of the jackpot.The rest of the money stays in the state to pay in state winners.The money left over goes to NC programs(50 percent) .

No need to worry about any quasi-official sources,do your own research into this matter.You could start by READING supplied information on the NC lottery website.If you need help finding a link to there I'm sure you can find one from here.Good luck with your discovery.  

Thanks.

You made a pronouncement about how things are.

I asked where to find the information to back your pronouncement.

You tell me to do my own research.

Still, there's a remote possibility you know what you're talking about.

Remote.

J

NCPicks

You obviously have difficulty reading,as the information you asked for was provided in my reply.What part of "reading the supplied information on the NC lottery website" is beyond your comprehension?If you don't wish to investigate and resolve your own misunderstanding,that's up to you.

Perhaps you could ask Google to find the NC lottery website for you if you are having difficulty. 

Rip Snorter

You obviously have difficulty reading,as the information you asked for was provided in my reply.What part of "reading the supplied information on the NC lottery website" is beyond your comprehension?If you don't wish to investigate and resolve your own misunderstanding,that's up to you.

Perhaps you could ask Google to find the NC lottery website for you if you are having difficulty. 

Sounds as though you are a really pleasant, helpful, informative person.

Good luck.

Jack

NCPicks

Thanks for the compliment.I try to help all those who are willing to help themselves.Have a nice day.

LOTTOMIKE's avatarLOTTOMIKE

having a bad day?

LOTTOMIKE's avatarLOTTOMIKE

i wonder when they will add the pick 3 and pick 4 games.......

NCPicks

having a bad day?

Not at all.I wasn't the one who had their information wrong.I offered a way for this person to resolve his misunderstanding.Apparently he didn't want to investigate further,but rather cast dispersions on me.The choice was his.The information is out there.Seek and ye shall find,with Google's help.

Just6ntlc

As PB continues to roll, I think NC lotto sales are starting to rise.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story