Lottery win is early wedding gift

Aug 25, 2006, 9:48 am (26 comments)

New York Lottery

New York woman gets scratch-off worth $5,000 a week for life.

It was the best wedding gift Ginnie Bogaczyk could have asked for.

The Elmira woman, who is engaged to be married Sept. 2, now has more than enough money to pay for the wedding, the honeymoon, a new home — just about anything else she can think of.

Bogaczyk is the latest winner in the New York Lottery Set For Life scratch-off game. She hit the big time — the $5,000 a week top prize — when she bought a $10 ticket recently at the Wilson Farms store at 865 Davis St. in Elmira.

Bogaczyk and family members gathered at Wilson Farms on Thursday morning to accept a ceremonial $5 million check from New York Lottery Executive Deputy Director Susan E. Miller.

Bogaczyk, who said she's been playing the scratch-off games for about five years, said when she first saw the winning numbers, she thought there was some mistake.

"Actually, I looked at it. I turned on the dome light (in her car.) I figured I had read the numbers wrong," said Bogaczyk, who works as a certified nurse's aide at Bethany Village. "It took me about half an hour to figure it out."

After she got home and reality set in, Bogaczyk said she started screaming and crying, and then started calling family members. She also called fiance Archie Haner, who was also incredulous at first.

" 'Holy crap.' That was the first thing that came out of my mouth," Haner said.

Bogaczyk is the first lottery millionaire in Chemung County in 2006, Miller said. The Set For Life scratch-off games are the most popular games offered by the state lottery, she said.

Bogaczyk will receive her prize in quarterly payments of $65,000, minus taxes, for the rest of her life. She or her estate are guaranteed at least $5 million.

The couple doesn't have many definite plans for the money yet, beyond paying off wedding and honeymoon expenses. Bogaczyk, who worked fulltime at Bethany, plans to stay on a part-time basis. Haner said he has no plans to quit his job at Kennedy Valve.

"I'll work occasionally," Bogaczyk said. "At this point, I just want to be comfortable and live life, and spend a little time with my family."

Susan E. Miller, New York Lottery executive deputy director, right, cuts a decorated cake with lottery winner Ginnie Bogaczyk as her fiance, Archie Haner, and their daughters Kyriah, 8, left, and Jordyn, 6, watch Thursday morning in front of the Wilson Farms store on Davis Street in Elmira.

Star-Gazette

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

weshar75's avatarweshar75

Man I would like to have a prize like that.  I could use $250,000+ every year for at least 20 years.  Congrats to her and her family!-weshar75

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

Quote: Originally posted by weshar75 on Aug 25, 2006

Man I would like to have a prize like that.  I could use $250,000+ every year for at least 20 years.  Congrats to her and her family!-weshar75

I Agree!  At first I thought "no, no! be careful..don't call everyone!" However, this woman obviously is close with her family and just wants to be comfortable. I hope she's able to live well without a lot of pressure that comes from winning a big prize.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Unfortunately winning this amount of money before the wedding may require her to see a lawyer about a prenuptial agreement which I'm sure wasn't in the original wedding plans.

bellyache's avatarbellyache

Congrats to her! I also wouldn't mind winning $5,000 a week for like.

DoubleDown

I think the quarterly payments are just fine-- not too much, not too little . I would be very pleased with a win like that.

achatha1

Ms. GINNIE BOGAZYK ,                                                                                               CONGRATULATION!  THIS VICTORY OF LOTTERY IS SIGNAL OF HAPPY MARRIED LIFE!   WISH YOU VERY VERY HAPPY MARRIED LIFE!!!...                                                                                     Adisubramanian    achatha1@yahoo.co.in

wizeguy's avatarwizeguy

Congrats, Ginnie B! Best wishes to you also in your marriage! Thumbs Up

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by achatha1 on Aug 25, 2006

Ms. GINNIE BOGAZYK ,                                                                                               CONGRATULATION!  THIS VICTORY OF LOTTERY IS SIGNAL OF HAPPY MARRIED LIFE!   WISH YOU VERY VERY HAPPY MARRIED LIFE!!!...                                                                                     Adisubramanian    achatha1@yahoo.co.in

* Posting your e-mail address on a public forum could get you a lot of unwanted requests.

RJOh, interesting comment about the prenuptial agreement. It's something most people don't think about, but I might feel very offended if my fiance won money just before our wedding and asked me to sign an agreement like that. However, I think I'd understand the reason behind it. It's a very sensitive matter, since you are supposed to be taking vows that say "'until death..." and a prenup indicates that the couple will probably end up fighting over money one day. As true as it is, since statistically about 43% of all marriages break up, a bride still likes to believe she's found her true soulmate.

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

Its an uplifting post :) One to believe in marriage and secondly to beleive that the average jane can win!So on average, I wish her much wisdom in investing wisely. May her vows keep her from poorer :)

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by justxploring on Aug 25, 2006

RJOh, interesting comment about the prenuptial agreement. It's something most people don't think about, but I might feel very offended if my fiance won money just before our wedding and asked me to sign an agreement like that. However, I think I'd understand the reason behind it. It's a very sensitive matter, since you are supposed to be taking vows that say "'until death..." and a prenup indicates that the couple will probably end up fighting over money one day. As true as it is, since statistically about 43% of all marriages break up, a bride still likes to believe she's found her true soulmate.

When a couple with young children get married there's a chance they have already met their soul mate and it didn't work out.   If control of her winnings is going to be a problem,  it's better she knows before the wedding.

wizeguy's avatarwizeguy

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Aug 25, 2006

When a couple with young children get married there's a chance they have already met their soul mate and it didn't work out.   If control of her winnings is going to be a problem,  it's better she knows before the wedding.

The story did not say the children in the photo were hers (or his). I agree she should get a prenuptial agreement though.

Ladyluck2005's avatarLadyluck2005

Congrats to her & her family.

wizeguy's avatarwizeguy

Quote: Originally posted by wizeguy on Aug 26, 2006

The story did not say the children in the photo were hers (or his). I agree she should get a prenuptial agreement though.

Ahh, but the story on NY website does say she has two children.

I see said the blind man.

hsvscubaski

Looks like she is early 30s.  lives to 70 that's $10 M.  Nice win.  I'd take it

tg636

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Aug 25, 2006

Unfortunately winning this amount of money before the wedding may require her to see a lawyer about a prenuptial agreement which I'm sure wasn't in the original wedding plans.

I sort of disagree. If she was already wealthy when she met her fiance, then okay, but obviously he didn't get engaged to her for her money. One big element of marriage is trust in the other person, and this shows clearly you don't don't trust your spouse-to-be at all. I would refuse to sign, and get unengaged so my ex-fiance could enjoy her money all by herself without me getting my hands on it, since obviously that would be a constant worry for her if we got married.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by tg636 on Aug 27, 2006

I sort of disagree. If she was already wealthy when she met her fiance, then okay, but obviously he didn't get engaged to her for her money. One big element of marriage is trust in the other person, and this shows clearly you don't don't trust your spouse-to-be at all. I would refuse to sign, and get unengaged so my ex-fiance could enjoy her money all by herself without me getting my hands on it, since obviously that would be a constant worry for her if we got married.

When a couple get married in a public setting regardless of their trust of each other, they are completing a legal contract witnessed by friends and family.  What's different about prenuptial agreement?  Couples who don't want a binding contract, agreement or understanding don't get married, they shack-up or maintain a friendship with benefits and no obligations.

Quote: Originally posted by tg636 on Aug 27, 2006

I agree with both of you to a point. It's a very tough call.  I was married and we always said "what's mine is yours" until we broke up, so I know the best intentions can wind up backfiring in your face.  Since they planned a wedding before she won, I don't know if a prenuptial agreement is necessary. I mean, if they were already married and one of them earned a good living while the other was unemployed, one wouldn't charge the other rent! If she uses the money to buy a nice home, does that mean he doesn't own it too? After all, it's supposed to be a partnership. On the other hand, what if they break up after 2 or 3 years?  It happens all the time!  As I said the first time, it's really a difficult decision to make without hurting or accusing someone of being untrustworthy. I all honesty, if I were she, I would probably consult an attorney. Money is supposed to improve your life, but this shows it can really bring up some unsettling situations.

Well, good like to them.  I hope they have one of those rare marriages that last and last for 60 years with lots of blessings.

ochoop17

I hope the couple don't let the money ruin there marriage and i hope the money is a blessing for the future.

good luck!!

SassyOhio's avatarSassyOhio

As you all have said I as well can see both sides of the tracks. As a woman that is married 14 years I can relate on "trusting" your other half but as well I think that if I was single when I won the money I would want that security. We all have seen how money can change some people and that is not something that I would want to live

CASH Only

In this age of GLOBAL WARMING, nobody should be playing for annuity payments (all lottery players should be after collecting in LUMP SUM.) Within 40 years, maybe 25, all h€ll will break loose on Earth. Lottery winners collecting yearly or quarterly payments will be less worried about receiving their next checks than fighting for survival. People will be dying from high temperatures, disease, lack of food and clean water, etc. Search the Web if you don't believe me. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by CASH Only on Aug 29, 2006

In this age of GLOBAL WARMING, nobody should be playing for annuity payments (all lottery players should be after collecting in LUMP SUM.) Within 40 years, maybe 25, all h€ll will break loose on Earth. Lottery winners collecting yearly or quarterly payments will be less worried about receiving their next checks than fighting for survival. People will be dying from high temperatures, disease, lack of food and clean water, etc. Search the Web if you don't believe me. Don't say I didn't warn you.

You're weird.

frisky

Congrat to Ginnie. that's a blessing, I would love to get that amount for life.

rdc137

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Aug 29, 2006

You're weird.

That's putting it politely.

fja's avatarfja

Quote: Originally posted by CASH Only on Aug 29, 2006

Scared sorry, just reading this made me think of one of those guys that walks around with those two sided wooden signs that says " REPENT ! ! ! the end of the world is comming"....

All Irish

Because I just joined this site I would like to comment on the Early Wedding Gift.  Everyone has their own opinions but the only one that counts is what Ginnie and her husband want and they seem to be level headed people with a positive outlook.  As far as a prenup goes I believe that depends on what is more important.  Love or money.  If what they want is happiness no money in the world can by that.  As long as they remember what brought them together and what is important I think they will be just fine. 

I am very happy for these people.  I also know for a fact that the two children are his and they have been together for the past 10 years.  Since winning the lottery the have purchased a new home and set up a saving account for each of the children and have and will continue to put a substantial away for their future.  Ginnie and her husband have decided that the money will not come between them and if it starts to then all future winnings will go directly to charity.  Money causes problems and they do not want any additional stress added to the marriage.  With or without the money they just want to be happy.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story