Ga. maintenance man wins Mega Millions lottery jackpot

Sep 18, 2006, 4:36 pm (43 comments)

Mega Millions

A 52-year-old maintenance man collected a $163 million lottery jackpot Monday. Now you can call him a retired maintenance man.

Ben Chason chose to take his winnings in a lump sum, receiving about $66 million after taxes.

Chason bought the winning ticket in Friday's Mega Millions drawing at a convenience store in Bainbridge, where he was a maintenance man for the housing authority.

Asked if he will continue working for the housing authority, Chason replied, "I'm retired."

Chason bought 3 quick pick tickets on Thursday — one day before the drawing. He went back to the convenience store where he bought the tickets on Sunday — checked the numbers and noticed he'd won.

He says he is still in shock.

Fifty-two-year-old Chason was so excited about winning the $163 million jackpot, he drove to Atlanta to pick up his winnings on Sunday.

The lottery offices are closed on Sundays.

The new multi-millionaire was asked by reporters how the money would change his bank account.

"Right now, I got $600 in there, so it's gonna change it pretty good," said Chason.

Chason's back account is about to undergo an extreme makeover. That's after he just became the largest winner in Georgia Lottery history by being the sole winner of the $163 million Mega Millions jackpot.

He said he plans to spend some of the money on his family and his girlfriend's family, and to invest some of it. He also said he wants to buy some land and help a nephew who is becoming a minister.

"I have thought of probably trying to start him a church — and I may just put the money up and build him one," Chason said.

The jackpot is nowhere near a nation-wide record. In February, eight workers at a Nebraska meatpacking plant split $365 million in the other big multistate lottery, Powerball.

Tuesday's Mega Millions jackpot is worth $12 million.

Lottery Post Staff

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

DoubleDown

I hope Mr Chason is wise..

It troubles me when someone runs to the lottery office as quickly as he did ( Sunday ??) without getting the proper financial advice and legal representation...

DD

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

CONGRAT$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Bainbridge, Georgia.......WINNER

of million$$$$$ of DOLLAR$$$$ MEGA MILLION!!!

Psykomo......SEZ......."QUICK-PICK$$

LakeSeminole in Bainbridge, Georgia............is famous for

great fishing & now the mega million..........."JACKPOT"!

There is also, BIG CATFISH in this HOLE &  someone

may just be the lucky winner of next FANTASY-FIVE

<>JACKPOT$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

<>
PartyPartyPartyWhite BounceWhite BounceWhite Bounce"Quick-Pick"

White BounceWhite Bounce<>                    US Flag <>                 White Bounce<>        White Bounce<>   White Bounce                                                           White Bounce

PSYKOMO 

delS

DoubleDown-

I'm with you.  This guy, I am happy for him.  But the suddenness in which he has come forth is an indicator that he doesn't have the education and info to properly manage this huge winning!

Hopefully he still will change course with quickness and fade to black.

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

Quote: Originally posted by delS on Sep 18, 2006

DoubleDown-

I'm with you.  This guy, I am happy for him.  But the suddenness in which he has come forth is an indicator that he doesn't have the education and info to properly manage this huge winning!

Hopefully he still will change course with quickness and fade to black.

"Wach a" you all..........

tonkin bout, no egdeca

tion, can you spell.....

matancce man???????

HE got de mony n ban

$$$$NOW$$$$

This is a good example of how long it takes to get a very, very

BIG JACKPOT.......................$ETTLED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"SMART MAN" 

PSYKOMO 

delS

When I use the term education, I'm speaking not about schooling education, but I am speaking about wealth, money, and lottery education.

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

Quote: Originally posted by delS on Sep 18, 2006

When I use the term education, I'm speaking not about schooling education, but I am speaking about wealth, money, and lottery education.

It L@@K$ to me that he has a darn G@@D

"LOTTERY Education"

(JUST BUY)

"QUICK-PICK$"  
 When "you" win.............put the money in

step (1)   BANK

step (2)   Buy more quick-pick$$$$

step (3)   $pend the MONEY$$$$$

step (4)   Buy land as He suggested!

LOL

PSYKOMO 

JAP69's avatarJAP69

"Right now, I got $600 in there, so it's gonna change it pretty good," said Chason.

Green laughROFL

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

Congrat$$$....Mr. Cha$on:

PartyPartyPartyI Agree!

you are a very $MART MAN"!!!!

GOD BLESS!!!!!

LOL

PSYKOMO 

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Ironically it doesn't seem that the educated/prepared lottery players are the ones winning big most of the time, if any. Education also comes in many forms, some might say it is actually very intelligent not to allow lawyers, advisors, and financial planners win the lottery every time you do, and control your destiny. It is bad enough the IRS does. They all want you to assume you can't live without them, so they can jump on for the ride.

Most will be fine provided they have enough sense to handle the funds. It is also quite easy to assume you would not run to lottery headquarters when you do not have a $66million dollar ticket in your house. That much money and the life that it could provide may make you do things you would have never thought. But it is very easy to remain calm and rational when your outside looking in.

Chalk up another for QP's. Three nonetheless, that is painful to lottery players who use systems and play up to $100.   

Raven62's avatarRaven62

Lady Luck shined her light on him!

Congrats to the Money WINNER!

nomoneybabe

Hello.

I really don't know and don't understand why someone look at the immediated claim winner with a negative thinking and even think that they are kind of uneducation ???

I'd like to say that I am college graduated, and If I won big, I will come to the lottery headquater as soon as I can . Because I think if I spend time with finance advisor with ticket unclaimed I may be scared to death. And claiming soon is my first choice!

If we claim soon at the lottery main office, will we lost some money ? get dangerous ?

May anyone explain to me ? thank you!

Trained2beRich's avatarTrained2beRich

maybe he is mature enough and he did not get too excited.  My only thing is all the things he has already said he is verbally going to do. I dont have an issue with the church thing...but a nephew who wants to be a minister?   He does not have an established congregation or following.  And to build a church. how big and who will own the title? the nephew, the church or the board members.  I think half the money(around 35 million) will be spent the first year and some tax issues will happen next year with all the gifting.  His loose lips may sink his own ship.

Rick G's avatarRick G

I'm happy for the maintenance man.    Smash

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

Quote: Originally posted by Rick G on Sep 19, 2006

I'm happy for the maintenance man.    Smash

LOTTERY POST members pro/say MGM winner DEAD!!!

sorry to lo$e this GREAT MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thinking of...PokeSmashBashSurrenderSurrenderSulk Off

very sad............beliver'$

GOD BLE$$....agai N

PSYKOMO 

Rick G's avatarRick G

Quote: Originally posted by psykomo on Sep 19, 2006

LOTTERY POST members pro/say MGM winner DEAD!!!

sorry to lo$e this GREAT MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thinking of...PokeSmashBashSurrenderSurrenderSulk Off

very sad............beliver'$

GOD BLE$$....agai N

PSYKOMO 

If you were a maintenance man like I am, you would understand that the hammer represented the work he did.  I am truly happy for this guy because it gives blue collar folks like me hope that it can happen to us too.

Plus, he can communicate. 

weshar75's avatarweshar75

It is nice to see someone that you can identify with make it big.  I like to see the average person win the lottery because then I think that maybe it can happen to me.  I would like the chance to live the good life while I have air to breath in these lungs.  Who cares what he does with his winnings any way.  When you have the title Lottery winner you can be as stupid or smart with your winnings as humanly possible.  Hence the title Lottery winner.-weshar75

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

Quote: Originally posted by psykomo on Sep 18, 2006

It L@@K$ to me that he has a darn G@@D

"LOTTERY Education"

(JUST BUY)

"QUICK-PICK$"  
 When "you" win.............put the money in

step (1)   BANK

step (2)   Buy more quick-pick$$$$

step (3)   $pend the MONEY$$$$$

step (4)   Buy land as He suggested!

LOL

PSYKOMO 

$$$$$$$$$$$OOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYY........RICK!!!!!!!!

I build the DARN things, please donot lecture meeeeeeeeeeeeeee

about a HAMMER...........(just L@@K at the FACTs of this WINNER??

PSYKOMO re$pect$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

"ALL PROFE$$ION$"...............SAVY????

where are your..............

CONGRAT$$$$$$

to this .........."FAMILY!!!!!

"GO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FISH"!!!!

LOL

PSYKOMO 

Qdg99's avatarQdg99

I say congarts to this man. Yes he has had some loose lips but the fact that he wants to HELP others and do something to help build the kingdom of THE LORD is going to be a bigger blessing for him that the 66 million that is now in his bank account. He is educated in the LORD it appears. You can't get more educated than that.

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

Quote: Originally posted by DoubleDown on Sep 18, 2006

It troubles me when someone runs to the lottery office as quickly as he did ( Sunday ??) without getting the proper financial advice and legal representation...

DD

How come no one from MASSACHUSETTS ever win the mega millions jack pots? I feel i should move out

why dont massachusetts people ever win the megamillion jackpots? i feel as if i should relocate or something equally as stupid as that

SassyOhio's avatarSassyOhio

Quote: Originally posted by sirbrad on Sep 18, 2006

Ironically it doesn't seem that the educated/prepared lottery players are the ones winning big most of the time, if any. Education also comes in many forms, some might say it is actually very intelligent not to allow lawyers, advisors, and financial planners win the lottery every time you do, and control your destiny. It is bad enough the IRS does. They all want you to assume you can't live without them, so they can jump on for the ride.

Most will be fine provided they have enough sense to handle the funds. It is also quite easy to assume you would not run to lottery headquarters when you do not have a $66million dollar ticket in your house. That much money and the life that it could provide may make you do things you would have never thought. But it is very easy to remain calm and rational when your outside looking in.

Chalk up another for QP's. Three nonetheless, that is painful to lottery players who use systems and play up to $100.   

You know I Agree!  I really really do. Yeah I think that if you dont feel that your responsible enough to handle it then seek some advice... But I of course would not go to the office on a sunday lol but I would be there bright and early the next opened day.. I look at it this way, we waited long enough to finally be a winner, why wait longer?  I would love to be in his shoes!!  Hey I would have done the same thing... just would not have made any EARLY USSUMPTIONS of what I would be doing with the money. Shoot its in the paper..... now days people will sue you for that  when ya hit the lotto. Just keep your mouth shut get your check and RUNNNNNNNN Hyper

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Exactly. It is not so much what you do, as what you tell everyone you will do. Jackpot paranoia is what feeds many of these so called professional leeches. Some are legitimate, but many look to capitalize off your big win. I would not say anything to anyone until the money was in my bank account. It is just sad that there are so many potential obstacles involved after beating such high odds. It is best to give very little or false information for your own protection at the press conference.

That way no one has any leads to follow. I would love to win a record jackpot, however winning the jackpot the very next drawing after somebody else won the record jackpot, would be about as anonymous as you could get. No one is going to care about my measly $5 million after taxes after that. They will all be busy watching the record jackpot winners on Good Morning America, while I am slipping out the back door at lottery headquarters with my $5 million. Big Smile   

rdc137

Quote: Originally posted by psykomo on Sep 18, 2006

CONGRAT$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Bainbridge, Georgia.......WINNER

of million$$$$$ of DOLLAR$$$$ MEGA MILLION!!!

Psykomo......SEZ......."QUICK-PICK$$

LakeSeminole in Bainbridge, Georgia............is famous for

great fishing & now the mega million..........."JACKPOT"!

There is also, BIG CATFISH in this HOLE &  someone

may just be the lucky winner of next FANTASY-FIVE

<>JACKPOT$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

<>
PartyPartyPartyWhite BounceWhite BounceWhite Bounce"Quick-Pick"

White BounceWhite Bounce<>                    US Flag <>                 White Bounce<>        White Bounce<>   White Bounce                                                           White Bounce

PSYKOMO 

WOW! I almost had a seizure looking at this post!

Raven62's avatarRaven62

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Sep 19, 2006

why dont massachusetts people ever win the megamillion jackpots? i feel as if i should relocate or something equally as stupid as that

Because they buy fewer Tickets than folks in other States!

Shane3

When you use systems....you are actually handicapping your chances to win....don't ask me why....it is just the way it is. Working a group of numbers is guranteed to keep the grand prize running away from you like a plagued. In playing the Lotto it doesn't play to be smart....cause you will outsmart yourself. It is simply the game design.

Enjoy Mr Carson!!!Party...........unfortunately I have that uneasy feeling that this guy is going to end up on the news....and not for good.

Rick G's avatarRick G

Quote: Originally posted by Shane3 on Sep 19, 2006

When you use systems....you are actually handicapping your chances to win....don't ask me why....it is just the way it is. Working a group of numbers is guranteed to keep the grand prize running away from you like a plagued. In playing the Lotto it doesn't play to be smart....cause you will outsmart yourself. It is simply the game design.

Enjoy Mr Carson!!!Party...........unfortunately I have that uneasy feeling that this guy is going to end up on the news....and not for good.

I agree with Shane3.  Over-analyzing jackpot games seems to be detrimental. 

I hope Shane's uneasy feelings about Mr. Carson's future are incorrect.  I like the guy.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

If there were more educated/prepared people playing the lotteries there would be more of them winning the jackpots.  Educated/prepared people think playing lotteries is a waste of money so they have nobody but themselves to blame if they aren't winning more, besides the stock markets need players too.

As for those system players spending a $100 per drawing, if they have that kind of money to waste they already have more money than they can handle.

Lotteries aren't designed to make smart or dumb, educated or uneducated, rich or needy people richer, they are designed to make that lucky guy or lady with a dollar to spend on a lottery ticket richer and that could be almost anybody even me a system player.

hsvscubaski

Quote: Originally posted by DoubleDown on Sep 18, 2006

DD

AMEN  DD

It would be a month or more before I claimed.  Get the trusts set up. Change phone. Move to TN or Texas (No Income tax) 

hsvscubaski

Sirbrad

I am financially astue and could handle that part w/o hiring a financial planner. How ever would defintly need lawyer to set up a trust to own the ticket between me and the kids.  Also a question I have always had, that would need answered is, for tax purposes when do you incur the liability.   For example if I hit in Dec 06 and don't claim till Jan 07 which year is my tax liability.  Also I live in AL. If I win in TN can I sell my house in AL, establish TN residence before I claim and not owe a State income tax?  Also what if I take the annuity pay the 1st year of AL tax and then move to a non income tax state?  I rememeber  something several years ago about Calif trying to tax retirement of people that had left the state.   Yes I need a lawyer!!!!!!!!!!   And if anyone has insight in to my questions  I realize you are not providing leagal advise if you answer.

c*aramel

I sure would like to know  Mr. Chason's birthdate and time or view his horoscope and have a horoscope of the time he bought the quick picks. Being an astrology buff, I know that there are some very lucky times in everyone's life.  It may not be in the plan for everyone to become a millionaire but I know astrology can help pinpoint the best times to win something. Blackapple and Libra Dave can attest to that. I will bet that Pluto was making some great aspects in Chason's chart. Pluto rules one in a million type occurences and maybe Jupiter was involved as well. Astrologers please comment.

rdc137

Quote: Originally posted by hsvscubaski on Sep 19, 2006

Sirbrad

I am financially astue and could handle that part w/o hiring a financial planner. How ever would defintly need lawyer to set up a trust to own the ticket between me and the kids.  Also a question I have always had, that would need answered is, for tax purposes when do you incur the liability.   For example if I hit in Dec 06 and don't claim till Jan 07 which year is my tax liability.  Also I live in AL. If I win in TN can I sell my house in AL, establish TN residence before I claim and not owe a State income tax?  Also what if I take the annuity pay the 1st year of AL tax and then move to a non income tax state?  I rememeber  something several years ago about Calif trying to tax retirement of people that had left the state.   Yes I need a lawyer!!!!!!!!!!   And if anyone has insight in to my questions  I realize you are not providing leagal advise if you answer.

Your tax liability would be based on when you are actually paid the money. If you establish Tennessee residency prior to claiming the ticket, then you would be claiming it as a Tennessee resident. However, don't be surprised if Alabama tries to take some money from you too. Believe it or not, states define a resident differently, and can have multiple types of residency (voting vs. taxes). Unfortunately, it's illegal, but you would have to literally make a federal case out of it, and you'd probably loose anyway because the feds seldom take up such issues. See the case where the telecommuter from Tennessee was forced to pay New York taxes on his salary despite never going to New York.

hsvscubaski

Quote: Originally posted by nomoneybabe on Sep 18, 2006

Hello.

I really don't know and don't understand why someone look at the immediated claim winner with a negative thinking and even think that they are kind of uneducation ???

I'd like to say that I am college graduated, and If I won big, I will come to the lottery headquater as soon as I can . Because I think if I spend time with finance advisor with ticket unclaimed I may be scared to death. And claiming soon is my first choice!

If we claim soon at the lottery main office, will we lost some money ? get dangerous ?

May anyone explain to me ? thank you!

I think I remember reading that someone presented a ticket for validation but did not claim till after they got their ducks in a row.  Also have heard of putting is a plastic bag and freezing.

hsvscubaski

Quote: Originally posted by rdc137 on Sep 19, 2006

Your tax liability would be based on when you are actually paid the money. If you establish Tennessee residency prior to claiming the ticket, then you would be claiming it as a Tennessee resident. However, don't be surprised if Alabama tries to take some money from you too. Believe it or not, states define a resident differently, and can have multiple types of residency (voting vs. taxes). Unfortunately, it's illegal, but you would have to literally make a federal case out of it, and you'd probably loose anyway because the feds seldom take up such issues. See the case where the telecommuter from Tennessee was forced to pay New York taxes on his salary despite never going to New York.

Thanks rdc

I know that states tax entertainers (football players, singers, Rush Limbaugh) when they are in state That's why Rush moved to Fl and hates it when there is a hurricane and he has to go to NYC.  Had not heard you can be taxed on telecommuting when you never went to state.  I have friends that live in TN and work in AL and have to pay AL tax.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Most people think that their tax liability is dependent on their situation when they collect their money, but courts have decided many times that it depends on their situation when they win the money or even when they bought the ticket some time.  Collecting the money after they get divorced doesn't eliminate their spouses share and collecting the money after moving doesn't eliminate their state or city taxes.  Most states and cities calculate taxes owed them on a percent of your total yearly income for the potion of the year you were a resident regardless of when you earned or collected the money so both states would get a share if they have such taxes.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

The whole tax thing puts a serious damper on the lottery. I don't think they should get a thing after the 25% deduction, which is still even too much. I also doubt they continue taking 10% a year, because they would slowly deplete you of your fortune.

Especially if you choose not to collect interest, they can't touch your money. The ones to talk to are tax professional for the facts. As far as systems go, yes sometimes they tend to inhibit your progress. That is why I also have a system, get QP's frequently. They play numbers that most system users never would, and numbers that come up more often.  

Just6ntlc

This is a great story. Did he pick cash? I hope he doesn't have financial problems later in life.

dumars798's avatardumars798

WTG...THAT'S A LOTTA DOUGH!!!

Money 3     Money 3     Money 3

nomoneybabe

Quote: Originally posted by hsvscubaski on Sep 19, 2006

I think I remember reading that someone presented a ticket for validation but did not claim till after they got their ducks in a row.  Also have heard of putting is a plastic bag and freezing.

Hello  hsvscubaski,

Becuase they don't believe they will won . The winner also like us when they are not a winner yet.

Just always check the tickets....

For the winner of this time, he is 52, and I think most of us in here is younger than he ...let's dream on and be patient!!!Lurking

wizeguy's avatarwizeguy

Congrats, Ben Chason, and good luck!

wizeguy's avatarwizeguy

Quote: Originally posted by Just6ntlc on Sep 19, 2006

This is a great story. Did he pick cash? I hope he doesn't have financial problems later in life.

Yes, he picked cash.

Quote: Originally posted by Raven62 on Sep 19, 2006

Because they buy fewer Tickets than folks in other States!

ya think? i should think massachusetts being richer than other states should be able to spend more on the lottery, ah well, i'll start buying $10 of megamillions on a single game once in a while

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Quote: Originally posted by rdc137 on Sep 19, 2006

The first sentence of your advice is almost certainly incorrect. Tax laws will be slightly different in each state, but the purpose of states' tax laws are to get what they can, and they've had years to figure all the angles and tweak the laws to their advantage. For the most part, if you earn income while living in a particular state you will owe tax on that income. You don't owe taxes because you claim a lottery prize, you owe taxes because you win a lottery prize. In some cases you may be able to defer income and taxes until the following tax year, but the law isn't likely to allow you to avoid the tax comletely. A good rule of thumb is that you earn the income, and therefore become liable for the taxes, as soon as you are legally entitled to the income. If you win the lottery in early December and don't claim the prize until January, you may be able to pay the taxes in the following year, but you will have incurred the tax liability the moment your numbers were drawn as the winner. In the example of TN and AL, unless the legislators in Alabama are unusually stupid, an Alabama resident who wins the lottery will owe taxes to Alabama regardless of how long they wait to claim the prize, or where they are living when they claim the prize. If you were a resident when you became entitled to the money then it's income earned as a resident of that state. Short of poorly written tax laws, the only chance of avoiding state taxes by moving would be if you move before December 31st and the lottery won't pay out for long enough that you can't get paid until after January 1st, but I still wouldn't be too optimistic.

You're right about states having a different opinion on residency than individuals do. Tax laws aren't really based on residence, they're based on domicile, and there's a legal difference. If somebody moves in order to reduce taxes they need to sever their connection to their former state as thoroughly as possible. If you move but don't sell the home you were living in you can expect the taxman to come calling. Undeveloped property may be claimed as an investment, but if you've shown an intent to build a home on it, you can expect the taxman to come calling. If you come back for vacations or repeatedly visit your parents or children in your old state, you can expect the taxman to come calling. If your income is substantial and you completely sever your ties to your old state, you should expect the taxman to look for a reason to come calling.

Taking the annuity instead of cash might let you reduce income taxes. If you win a lottery run by a state  that taxes lottery winnings you should expect to pay taxes to that state regardless of when you actually collect the money, and if you live in a different state you should expect to pay taxes to that state, too. If you win a lottery run by a state that doesn't impose income tax on lottery winnings but live in a different state you should expect to pay taxes to your home state on any income earned while you are a resident of that state. Income earned after moving out of the state may increase your taxes for any part of the tax year in which you were still a resident, but you may not owe anything for years in which you don't live in the state at all. If you win an out of state jackpot this Saturday and take the annuity you should expect to pay taxes to your current state on the first payment, which you'd be entitled to collect this year.  If you then become a non-resident before the end of the year the state should have no claim on your income in subsequent years. Still, I wouldn't guarantee that you'd be home free. The state may still make the claim that the income was earned as a resident, even if it isn't payable until some time in the future.

I'm not familiar with the telecommuter case you refer to, but it's a pretty safe bet that the court (assuming it even made it to court)  determined that the income came from New York. If you telecommute to a job, the job exists in the office you'd be working in if you didn't telecommute, and the income comes from wherever the office is. That's a completely different issue from cases where somebody moves but is still deemed a resident for tax purposes.

These are just a few of many examples suggesting that anybody who wins the lottery and doesn't get qualified professional advice is probably a moron. Anybody who actually makes significant financial decisions based on advice they get on the internet is definitely a moron.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Sep 21, 2006

ya think? i should think massachusetts being richer than other states should be able to spend more on the lottery, ah well, i'll start buying $10 of megamillions on a single game once in a while

Being richer, they can probably afford to buy more crack, too, but I'm guessing there's something more than disposable income that people consider when deciding what to spend their money on.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story